Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindless attack

Options
  • 12-03-2008 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

All,

I try to commute to work at least 3 days by bicycle (50k round trip). My route takes me from Lucan via the Strawberry beds and the City to Sandyford and back. I am used to it and enjoy the fact that I can beat the traffic. Apart from the odd motorist that feels the need to shout at me my commute is easy. Except for yesterday evening...

On my way home while on the Strawberry Beds a white Mk2 Ford Transit van drew up along side of me (first thing I noticed was how close it was). The passenger then leaned out of his window and with both hands pussed me into the ditch! This was not a tap on the shoulder, or an innocent mistake, this was done with force and planning. I was doing 30km at the time, 20m earlier and I would have hit a wall, earlier still I could have been in the Liffey!

I have a heavily brused left shoulder and a buckled front wheel but apart from that I am fine but I could have been killed.

Just had top get this off my chest!

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Please tell me you've reported this. Did you get a number?

Hope you're feeling OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Try getting it off your chest to the gardai, sounds like a serious assualt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterjc

A car driver comming behind rang the Gardai and I am off to the station to make a formal report.

Unfortunately I was hitting the deck at the time so I did not get a number and the car driver behind saw it all happening but was in more shock that I so she too did not get a number.

All's well - still alive!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'm losing faith in humanity.

this's crazy stuff. gardai have to be put on the case, and be very sure they understand how serious this is.

heal well, and get back on the bike as soon as you can. it can be difficult to get your confidence back.
    peterjc wrote: »

All's well

not if these fella's think this is a joke worth repeating it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Thats shocking OP, Why the f**k would somebody do something like that?

Hopefully the guards mite be able to figure out who it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

It's amazing what people will do 'for kicks' or on impulse.

A neighbour of mine when I was younger used to drive to work and gave a lift to someone every now and then. They were on the N3 between the M50 and Clonee when his passengar decided it would be fun to scare a motor bike coming up on their left. Without saying a word to the driver he waited til the bike was almost level with them, then swung the door open. The guy hit the door and was sent flying through the air. Think he sued for 30k in damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That guy needs to be jailed. Please tell me you'll press charges if the cops ever find out who he is...

Anyways, hope you're feeling better. As the boy Tom said, get back up on that bike (or a bike) sooner rather than later, even if it's just for a short spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

That guy needs to be jailed. .

Or put in stocks at the nearest bike shop with a placard around their necks...

or made hand-wash all the cycle shorts after the wicklow 200 :D

Shocking..... I had some cave dwellers shout at me in Ranelagh and wave hands in front of me , just a scare, but still.

Pure vermin.

Best you can do is not let that stop you from doing what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That is bizarre, could be viewed as attempted murder let alone serious assault. Lads in fights with reason can punch a guy who can fall and be killed and get locked up. Why would somebody risk life in prison for no reason? totally unprovoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

I honestly feel sick after reading the OP's story.

You can be mindful of so many things, but when I read things like this... it beggars belief! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I can only hope that it was "just" a case of mistaken identity on the scumbags part, and not something he is going repeat again and again. Perhaps he thought you were the same guy that got his daughter pregnant or reported him for flytipping or something.
    I hope you're going to be ok, and that that guy is found and hung by a testicle from 6 foot until his feet reach the ground again. What a mindless moronic d1ckhead.
    It's stories like this which have me considering wearing a helmet cam or bike cam, on the offchance that if something like that ever happened I'd have video evidence of it. Perhaps if every cyclist was to use one, and it was known in the motoring community they'd be less likely to pull a stunt like that. Just like speed cameras..... oh ...well never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Although i am sickened at the op's story it doesn't surprise me. Anybody who would do that has no respect for law or human life and will no doubt do it again. You were lucky op that you didn't get messed up bad. There surely must be cameras on that stretch of road. See if there is any way you can get access to the footage. Don't let the acts of scumbags stop you from living your life the way that you want to. If you were at that stretch of road at the same time today chances are you'd see them. Even scumbags keep routines. Please keep us informed of how your attempt to track them down pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Oh wow ... that's very serious ... what a bunch of *£$$%& idiots .. I am speechless that anyone could do such a thing ...

Thank god you're alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

That's disgusting behaviour - I'm sure they're mother is very proud.

Glad you're alright, sounds like you were lucky considering.

D1ckheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

It may not be much consolation but you can feel better in the knowledge that these losers will achieve nothing in life.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've said it before, but van drivers are just the worst.

Was riding up the North Circular a few years ago when a guy leaned out of a van and screamed at me. Got the fright of my life but stayed upright. It pales in comparison to this though.

el tonto wrote: »
    Was riding up the North Circular a few years ago when a guy leaned out of a van and screamed at me. Got the fright of my life but stayed upright. It pales in comparison to this though.

That also happens to me on a regular basis ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

That is appalling! Sorry to hear about that. Hope they string those knackers up by the knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterjc

I stuck a hack front wheel on my bike and I will be back on the bike this friday.

I am not going to stop cycling - may review my route but I am not going to stop.

Thanks for the feedback - Just put the message out there to warn you about the loonies! but I guess you already know there out there!

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thank goodness you're not too badly injured. You sound very calm about this. I'm in a temper just reading about it. Like others have said, please follow this up with the gardai - these thugs will end up seriously hurting somebody. Glad to read about the good samaritan motorist behind you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Not suprised to be honest, this country is full of ignorant cu.nts:mad:

society has gone to ****, and i blame this half arsed government, firstly we need to drop this pc bollox, and then reward the gards for beating these pieces of embryotic ****e to within a inch of their dis-advantaged life, then beat then 9/10 of a inch more.

these people only understand violence, cyclists take too much **** off taxi drivers, busses and white vans, and the odd chelsea tractor, dont take any **** off them, when they are minus a wing mirror they will understand,
    not right, but its more right than assault.:o

OP I hope you are kay, and this c.unt gets bottled in town some night when he picks on the wrong person.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this is the worst yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

el tonto wrote: »
    I've said it before, but van drivers are just the worst.

And of course in the OPs post, its a white van. Glad your okay, but are you sure you didnt hit your head? You seem shockingly calm!

as oobydooby said id be livid..

Apparently the latest craze is to slap cyclists in the WW mts on the head as they drive by. A friend of mine was told this by a Gard from greystones, so obviously some incidents have been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Apparently the latest craze is to slap cyclists in the WW mts on the head as they drive by. A friend of mine was told this by a Gard from greystones, so obviously some incidents have been reported.

I'll have to keep a sharp eye out for this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

jeez the Wicklow 200 is going to be great fun for the gougers...... 1500 people all lined up to play WhackAMole with :(

edit: although having a sneaky helmet mirror installed would allow you to see them coming up behind you leaning out to hit you and for you to 'accidentally' launch a half-brickthrough the windscreen as "a preaction to the fright of getting smacked" - of course you were just carrying it initially for weight training....

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

kenmc wrote: »
    jeez the Wicklow 200 is going to be great fun for the gougers...... 1500 people all lined up to play WhackAMole with :(

edit: although having a sneaky helmet mirror installed would allow you to see them coming up behind you leaning out to hit you and for you to 'accidentally' launch a half-brickthrough the windscreen as "a preaction to the fright of getting smacked" - of course you were just carrying it initially for weight training....

Thumb tacs & epoxy resin anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

CCTV should surely enable the gardaí to get this individual. I know it is a white van - common vehicle etc. - but a proper investigation should get them as it is a major route in the capital afaik. I view it as serious assault. They have to be brought to justice for such a malicious attack. Hope you (OP) are physically OK at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

For the sake of balance, I would like to mention that I drive a Van, small truck and car as well as cycling around town.
    As an ardent cyclist I watch out for cycles before turning etc. and give cyclists right of way at all times.

Not all Van drivers are anti cyclists nor are all cyclists saints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Not all Van drivers are anti cyclists nor are all cyclists saints.

Blasphemy!

Advertisement