Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindless attack

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not all Van drivers are anti cyclists nor are all cyclists saints.
    This is really about scumbags, doesnt matter what mode of transport they are in. The scumbag in this van would probably have been throwing rocks if he was on foot. I got stones thrown at me around croke park.

'accidentally' launch a half-brickthrough the windscreen
    Brick weighs too much, unless you get those fancy carbon fibre ones ;)

This is lightweight, and if you catch up with the car you can unload a full blast in the window.
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/PEPPER-SPRAY-PEPERONCINO-DIFESA-PERSONALE-LEGALE_W0QQitemZ230230154996QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PEP-CAP-SELF-DEFENSE-PEPPER-SPRAY-PROBABLY-THE-BEST_W0QQitemZ290213789697QQihZ019QQcategoryZ12113QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

topper75 wrote: »
    CCTV should surely enable the gardaí to get this individual. I know it is a white van - common vehicle etc. - but a proper investigation should get them as it is a major route in the capital afaik. I view it as serious assault. They have to be brought to justice for such a malicious attack. Hope you (OP) are physically OK at least.

I was thinking about CCTV too. Look out for any CCTV cameras along this route. Check with the Anglers Rest or any other pubs or businesses on that route to see if their CCTV cameras pick up traffic on the road. The Gardai should really be checking for this, but no harm is doing a bit of detective work yourself.

OP - Hope you're feeling better. I wonder if it would be worthwhile hanging around at the top of the hill for 15-30 minutes on a few evenings next week to see if you can spot this guy on his regular commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

peterjc wrote: »
    All,

I try to commute to work at least 3 days by bicycle (50k round trip). My route takes me from Lucan via the Strawberry beds and the City to Sandyford and back. I am used to it and enjoy the fact that I can beat the traffic. Apart from the odd motorist that feels the need to shout at me my commute is easy. Except for yesterday evening...

On my way home while on the Strawberry Beds a white Mk2 Ford Transit van drew up along side of me (first thing I noticed was how close it was). The passenger then leaned out of his window and with both hands pussed me into the ditch! This was not a tap on the shoulder, or an innocent mistake, this was done with force and planning. I was doing 30km at the time, 20m earlier and I would have hit a wall, earlier still I could have been in the Liffey!

I have a heavily brused left shoulder and a buckled front wheel but apart from that I am fine but I could have been killed.

Just had top get this off my chest!

Peter

Did you text George Hook today about this? Either it was you or else it also happened to somebody else

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Glad your ok... words cannot describe the contempt I have for people like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

peterjc wrote: »
    On my way home while on the Strawberry Beds a white Mk2 Ford Transit van drew up along side of me (first thing I noticed was how close it was). The passenger then leaned out of his window and with both hands pussed me into the ditch! This was not a tap on the shoulder, or an innocent mistake, this was done with force and planning. I was doing 30km at the time, 20m earlier and I would have hit a wall, earlier still I could have been in the Liffey!

I have a heavily brused left shoulder and a buckled front wheel but apart from that I am fine but I could have been killed.

I'd something similar happen to me 10+1/2 years ago just ouside the town limits of a town called Banff, in North East Scotland, 6 miles from my family home. I aged 15 at the time (Picking on a kid - shame on them), not exactly well built, and was going about 20mph. To my left was a pavement, and one of those walls (8ft high) made out of jaggedy rocks bound with concrete.

A navy Vauxhall Cavalier (the irony is not lost on me) came up behind me and went to pass me. It was still light, despite being late evening, so the driver definitly saw me. As did the passenger. He leant out and gave me a quick push. My front wheel hit the kerb, I went over the handlebars, in my greatest spill to date [and *touch wood* nor will I have a worse one in the future]. I did not get the plate of the car, nor was there witnesses - it being a quiet enough road and all.

I was wearing those thin, slightly shiny, tracksuit pants that tear/melt with friction that were popular back then with a t-shirt and one of the old bike helmets. You know the type, a big lump of polystyrene with a lycra cover. I had removed the (red and white) cover as it made the helmet look a wee bit more acceptable, and didn't have any refleciveness anyway. When I looked up to see the car dissappearing around the corner I could also see a trail of bits of polystyrene sticking out of the wall. Had I not been wearing the helmet that *WOULD* have been bits of my head and a hospital visit. My knee was also banjaxed - I still have a marked knee - and I could see white (kneecap?) in amongst all the torn flesh and blood. After sitting at the side of the road for a while, til my head stopped spinning, I walked back into town, pushing a bike with a knackered front wheel, to a friends house (this was pre-mobile phones) then after getting cleaned up, and calling home, to the cop shop to report it.

Much as I loath to say it, these kind of mindless morons have been doing this for years, not just in Ireland, and as the roads get busier, and people get more ignorant it will only get worse. I live in Cork now, and have more trouble with people who don't look than intentional morons. I'd say most people on this forum have almost run down people who step out without looking, have almost been doored, or swiped by people who are just too damn lazy to look.

Anyway, look out for yourself lads, crashes hurt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't think I need to echo the sentiments of fellow cyclists here made about sick ****ers like that.

Assault, pure and simple. It would be all over the news if someone tried ramming another car off the road.

Something to be said for having a drinks bottle filled with cement in a spare cage. Many a time I have wished I had something to lob at a rear windscreen that has endangered my life!

Advertisement