Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords 3 for 2 special on car cleaning products

Options
  • 12-03-2008 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Just to let y'all know Halfords doing a 3 for 2 special. Buy 3, get the cheapest free. Sign in shop just says for Turtle wax stuff, but it covers all brands.

I went in and picked up 6 items, had to pay for them on separate purchases of 3 & 3, so to avail of the best discount, but even with their high prices, it was still a good saving, especially on the Meguiars stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Thanks again for the heads up :D. I was about to get some stuff off ebay, but this should work out cheaper

My Alfa thanks you again also :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

yep. i got three drums of windscreen wash there last saturday for the price of two. something like 16 euros which is very good.

wont have to get any again for a few years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thinking of going back for more stuff tomorrow or Friday....don't think I got enough

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Thanks Lex also. Will raid Halfords tomorrow for cleaning stuff for my Alfa also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the heads up :D. I was about to get some stuff off ebay, but this should work out cheaper

My Alfa thanks you again also :D:D
    techie wrote: »
    Thanks Lex also. Will raid Halfords tomorrow for cleaning stuff for my Alfa also :D

Must remember to bring this up in the next "p!ss and moan about Alfas" thread.
    "Several owners have had problems with their cars getting dirty" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    thinking of going back for more stuff tomorrow or Friday....don't think I got enough

Leave some for me! (If you are going to the Naas branch).

I have a dirty Alfa as well. What a crock of ****e it is :rolleyes:.

techie wrote: »

I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll try to leave something for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll try to leave something for you :p

Ok cool, hopefully the weather will be good this weekend or else there will be a lot of disappointed Alfa owners around !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

was in the one in dundalk today and seen nothing like that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote: »

AutoGlym Tar Remover, great stuff!
    Meguirs Clay Bar Kit,
    Meguairs Detailing Spray

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

draffodx wrote: »
    AutoGlym Tar Remover, great stuff!
    Meguirs Clay Bar Kit,
    Meguairs Detailing Spray

The Autoglym tar remover is actually really really poor imo. Because of its commercial availability, its very mild. You can get way better online, for the same (usualy less) money.

Also, the detailing spray is soooo overpriced, again comparing with online availability.

The clay bar kit is good value, but is tricky and somewhat risky for your average punter to just buy and use.

the tar remover always took off any tar on my cars without too much effort put in by myself, i know you can get better stuff online but for something to pick up in halfords it does the job.

the detailing spray is great stuff though and you can get a it in a bundle with the clay bars, wax and a cloth which i think is good value, again online is probably cheaper but its a bit unfair comparing to online prices

Meguiars Hot Rims is the dogs

got a lambs wool mitt aswell & the obligitary pack of dashboard wipes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Hmm. Id still probably shop around as I have found Halfords to be an absolute rip off on certain things. Examples:

Head light:
    Halfords - 10euro
    Other motorfactor - 3 euro

Fully synth oil 4L
    Halfords - 58euro
    Other motor factor - 45 euro

Bicycle tyre
    Halfords - 10euro
    Sean Duffs - 6euro

I also got a voucher for Halfords for 50 notes. I went to the till with around 30 euro of goods. They then said that I had to spend the full 50 in one go as they didnt have gift cards and couldnt give change.

they're expensive buying 1 for 1, but these offers are not bad. I used to buy the semi synth oil (5l) from them when you buy one get 1 free. Always seemed to have more oil than I needed, but it saved me next time round

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Seperate wrote: »
    The Autoglym tar remover is actually really really poor imo. Because of its commercial availability, its very mild. You can get way better online, for the same (usualy less) money.
    Yeah I tried it and it didn't seem to do much. WD40 did a much better job :) but I dunno how bad that is for the paint...

What about Isopropyl Alcohol? Is that ok to use on car paint?

Just back from Halfords-€84 poorer-but having saved €34.

Cheers for the heads up Tom-I may go back on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep called in this evening after work and picked up some Meguiars stuff, saved around €11 on their prices anyway.

Lex should be getting commission from them for the business they got from here alone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Just back from Halfords-€84 poorer-but having saved €34.

Cheers for the heads up Tom-I may go back on Saturday morning.
    hope you got that grey lambswool mitt....my kids will have it ruined by the time I get to use it but I'm thinking of getting a 2nd for buffing after polishing aswell
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Yep called in this evening after work and picked up some Meguiars stuff, saved around €11 on their prices anyway.

Lex should be getting commission from them for the business they got from here alone. :D
    :D

grey lambswool mitt and the Meguiars NCT Tech Wax is recommended
    Meguiars microfibre cloth is worth it aswell

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    hope you got that grey lambswool mitt....my kids will have it ruined by the time I get to use it but I'm thinking of getting a 2nd for buffing after polishing aswell

Did indeed! Sure you can borrow mine-I live in a child free environment at the moment.

I picked up 9 items
    • Meguiars Wash Mitt
    • Auto Glym Aqua Wax (got a great review on Alfaowner)
    • Auto Glym Wheel Brush
    • Meguiars Water Magnet Cloth
    • Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner
    • Halfords Sheepskin Polishing Mitt
    • Turtle Wax Platinum Cockpit Shine
    • Simoniz Wash and Wax
    • Halfords Brakedust Remover

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

The best deal in Halfords at the moment is their own brand engine oil, you get a free screwdriver set with each 5lt. I've got a discount card so the oil was €25 + free set of Halfords screwdrivers RRP €29. I'll be back there tomorrow as I've got to do an oil change & need 8lt, everyone will be getting screwdriver sets for christmass:D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

They dont sell any 'good' waxes to be honest with you.

Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection would be the best shine you would get from Halfords, but you'd need to be topping it up every 3 or 4 days to keep the shine.

You could get a tub of Collinite #915 for about €35 off ebay - and it is long lasting great shine. We do a wax for €20 that is durable and has great gloss.

Foam applicators work best for applying, then a plush microfiber to buff off. Again, ebay or similar would be the best bet for these - as they are 4 or 5 times more expensive in Halfords.

You get a "free" foam applicator with the Meguiars Tech Wax and their microfibre cloth is great for buffing off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks Lex Luther. Your not so bad at all... Damn hollywood, always making people out to be much worse than they actually are.

Thanks again Lex, I saved €38 :cool: but spent a lot :rolleyes:

First visit:
    Clay Kit
    Nxt Generation Wash x2

went back 10 mins later:
    Water Magnet Towel
    Supreme Shine Microfibre triple pack
    Terry Towel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

I have resisted the 3 for 2 so far as had a handful of Meg's stuff out in the Blanch store but held back.... (Got a PS3 in the Tesco's 25% back offer yesterday instead:D) Halfords generally do this offer for a good few weeks/months as I remember last year it went nearly through the whole summer and I am still using up the stuff I bought then.

If you can I suggest buying in bulk from UK or US, esp now with exchange rate being so favourable. You can get stuff shipped from US too for great prices and if you find right place they will put low value on the package.

The good sites I have used are:

www.cleanandshiny.co.uk
    www.motorgeek.co.uk
    US - www.bettercarcare.com
    US - www.autopia-carcare.com - think these and bettercarcare may be same site but there is word of a 20% Easter sale at present but cannot find discount code.

Anyway, the 3 for 2 in halfords works out well if you buy in 3's and save on the cheapest item or buy 3 of the same. Don't buy in all one transaction as you will only save on cheapest items.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

bazz26 wrote: »

Tried to buy Meguiars in the Coolock branch but was told they were not on the offer!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Tell them to look at their web site. I had no problems in Cork.

Advertisement