Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT came July for pre-2008 imported cars

Options
  • 12-03-2008 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I originally put this on the VRT changes thread but was getting no response. I was in a hurry to buy and import a new car before July but now it looks like the pressure is off now.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovern...y,16861,en.htm

so does this mean motor tax rate will remain as it is for pre-2008 imported cars but the VRT will still change to the new rates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ya thats the way I read it too, no rush now at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

No.
    Pre 2008 will remain on the "old" system. From year dot to dec 31st 2007.
    From jan 1st 2008, if you bought a new car with low co2 emmissions, you are now entitled to avail of the "new" system, if you wish.
    Meaning that you don't have to wait until July to buy/import an efficent car that the tax will go down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

cashmni1 wrote: »
    No.
    Pre 2008 will remain on the "old" system. From year dot to dec 31st 2007.
    From jan 1st 2008, if you bought a new car with low co2 emmissions, you are now entitled to avail of the "new" system, if you wish.
    Meaning that you don't have to wait until July to buy/import an efficent car that the tax will go down on.

Does that mean that it's better to wait until after July to import a low enission car form the UK? and avail of lower VRT,
    e.g. BMW 520D (177BHP) 140g/km will attract 16% VRT after July but not before...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

trackerman wrote: »
    Does that mean that it's better to wait until after July to import a low enission car form the UK? and avail of lower VRT,
    e.g. BMW 520D (177BHP) 140g/km will attract 16% VRT after July but not before...

Yes, thats assuming that they dont change the VRT system to the same as the Motor Tax System.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

trackerman wrote: »

but the BMW in question has to be a 2008 model? am i right saying that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

cashmni1 wrote: »
    No.

well thats right except for tax pre-July

If you bought a car this year you tax at exisiting rate (i.e. engine size) you can then choose to go onto new system when you tax the car after July 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

To summarise:

Road Tax: 08 plate: taxed on emissions with the exception of vehicles registered before 1 July, which can continue to be taxed on engine size if that is cheaper than emissions based taxation. Anything after July 1 will be taxed on emissions ONLY. Any 08 registered before 1 July can be road taxed on emissions but not until after July i.e. if you renew your road tax for your 08 car after July you can switch to CO2 if that results in you paying less tax. Unfortunately you have to pay on cc till then even with an 08 reg.

Anything before 08: engine size ONLY(for the foreseeable future).

VRT: really simple, register before July, pay using current system ONLY, register during or after July, and you pay on emissions system ONLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Interesting. I wonder if SIMI had anything to do with this as I'd say there were a lot of people waiting with baited breath till July to bag themselves a nice new-ish diesel from the UK at knock down rates ala the new VRT regime.

Which now won't happen.

On the bright side, we can still import planet zapping monsters with abandon, and be taxed on the older, kinder system.

Which leads me on to why are we only interested in saving the planet using new cars? Why not save it with 2nd hand cars too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

E92 wrote: »
    To summarise:

Road Tax: 08 plate: taxed on emissions with the exception of vehicles registered before 1 July, which can continue to be taxed on engine size if that is cheaper than emissions based taxation. Anything after July 1 will be taxed on emissions ONLY. Any 08 registered before 1 July can be road taxed on emissions but not until after July i.e. if you renew your road tax for your 08 car after July you can switch to CO2 if that results in you paying less tax. Unfortunately you have to pay on cc till then even with an 08 reg.

VRT: really simple, register before July, pay using current system ONLY, register during or after July, and you pay on emissions system ONLY.

What about a UK import (July 07) which was imported to Ireland in Jan 08 which was put on a 07 D plate ....is this old system or new system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JHMEG wrote: »

On the bright side, we can still import planet zapping monsters with abandon, and be taxed on the older, kinder system.

Which leads me on to why are we only interested in saving the planet using new cars? Why not save it with 2nd hand cars too?

Don't the dirty cars imported now go onto the €2000 bracket regardless of cc, or was that bit dropped?

Cuase it's bullsh!t really. Since a lot of the CO2 from a car is from it's manufacture and disposal we are skipping this bit, but can pretend we are being good for the enviroment by forcing people to buy new cars rather then import clean 2nd hand cars. All we're doing is slowly decreasing our CO2 emmissions but are adding to other countries by buying new cars.
    kyote00 wrote: »
    What about a UK import (July 07) which was imported to Ireland in Jan 08 which was put on a 07 D plate ....is this old system or new system ?

Old system.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't the dirty cars imported now go onto the €2000 bracket regardless of cc, or was that bit dropped?

"The new CO2 based system will not apply to the import of pre 2008 cars."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

This is really pi$$ing me off, I had intended importing a nice diesel from the UK to avail of the low road tax, nothing worse than a stinking cartel.

False advertising, false promises, false....
    From 1 July 2008, anyone buying a new or pre-owned imported car can make a choice for the environment by purchasing a low CO2 emitting car, and thus enjoy a lower rate of motor tax. Alternatively, if the choice is to purchase a high CO2 emissions car, a higher rate of motor tax will apply.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16223,en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It does look like someone put presure on the Government to back track on their original proposal. The first ones that come to mind that look to loose a fortune from the original motor tax reforms with regards second hand imports were Revenue and the Irish Motor Industry.

If people were buying larger engined second hand diesel cars from abroad availing of the cheaper motor tax then revenue generated would be less plus Irish forecourts would be swamped with even more unsold second hand cars. So much for the new system being revenue neutral!

I too was going to import a nice largish engined diesel car next year but this latest moving the goal posts policy has put that idea on ice.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I too was going to import a nice largish engined diesel car next year but this latest moving the goal posts policy has put that idea on ice.
    Look on the bright side: You can import that Hummer you always wanted.;)

Who said this government gives us nothing!

You're not going to like me for this, but I'm glad the Government hasn't backdated the road tax.

The arse would fall out of the values of the 75+% of people who always bought petrols, and especially those who already bought diesels. I mean seriously, what are you supposed to say to people who bought 04,05 and 06 diesels? Because you bought a car that probably does 10 mpg more than it's petrol counterpart and have been saving all that fuel and CO2 then you should now have a car that's far less desirable than the latecomers to the party who are importing a diesel now and have all of a sudden gained a "green" conscience:rolleyes:? I don't think so.

If we all brought in diesels then there would be silly oversupply(there is too much supply even as things stand now) in the used car market which would be a financial disaster for a lot of people. The Government would lose a small fortune on fuel revenue, since they take in an extra 6 cent for every litre of petrol over diesel, and then diesel does 20-30% more mpg too. So you can be sure they'd find a way of getting that back too.

You can still import a lower emitting diesel if you want and pay the lower VRT.

At the end of the day, we need to move away from a VRT and road tax system(or else a flat tax to finance local Government) to taxing fuel. We DO need a shift away from cars in towns and cities, of course we have the world's worst bus service in the entire world in Cork(I don't know what the rest of the country is like but since they're all served by a state owned monopoly with absolutely no incentive to do better for the customer I assume things are no better elsewhere), it's very hard to try and change, even if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

so just to be clear, if i were to import say a 04 bmw m3 in august, id pay 1491 road tax but vrt at the 36% rate not the current 30% rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Cyrus wrote: »
    so just to be clear, if i were to import say a 04 bmw m3 in august, id pay 1491 road tax but vrt at the 36% rate not the current 30% rate?

Road Tax: 08 plate: taxed on emissions with the exception of vehicles registered before 1 July, which can continue to be taxed on engine size if that is cheaper than emissions based taxation. Anything after July 1 will be taxed on emissions ONLY.

You will not have an 08 plate, this doesn't apply to you.
    Any 08 registered before 1 July can be road taxed on emissions but not until after July i.e. if you renew your road tax for your 08 car after July you can switch to CO2 if that results in you paying less tax. Unfortunately you have to pay on cc till then even with an 08 reg.

You do not have an O8 plate, this also doesn't apply to you.

This is your road tax.

This is your VRT.

VRT = New system
    Road Tax = Old system

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ok, hopefully this means my recently imported m3 should hold its value a little better then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 audia3140bhp

check this out, it will tell you you vrt rate before/after July

www.vrt.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

This example should explain everything.

i am thinking about importing a diesel car from the uk. i have a few various car models in mind. some are 1.9ltr & some are 2.0ltr. am i better off waiting until after july 1st or not. can you tell me what the difference will be in vrt if i purchase now or wait. thank you. p.s. CO2 average between 145 & 155 g/km

In short you are better off waiting until July. At the moment a 1.9 diesel has a vrt rate of 25% and a 2.0 has a vrt rate of 30%. If you wait until after July, you will only have the pay vrt of 20% on a car with a CO2 emissions rate of 141-155g.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dannydif

i have just bought a 520d manuel msport in england it
    was regestered over there on january 2008 if i wait till july will it only be 16% vrt :confused:

dannydif wrote: »
    i have just bought a 520d manuel msport in england it
    was regestered over there on january 2008 if i wait till july will it only be 16% vrt :confused:

Yes. And you'll get the new road tax rates after July also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 rambler924

Given that the finer details of the duel system are somewhat vague, is this recent interpretation of how the duel system will work by the SIMI fact or their way of trying to get there interpretation accepted as fact?
    You also need to consider that all older cars will not have a valid CO2 cert. and therefore be classed by default to the over 225g/km.

Q: I am thinking of buying an imported used car after July, how will the new Road Tax system affect me?

A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000). Used vehicles first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008 will be based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in other member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008 will be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)

http://www.simi.ie/Files/simi_roadtaxvrt.pdf

rambler924 wrote: »
    Given that the finer details of the duel system are somewhat vague, is this recent interpretation of how the duel system will work by the SIMI fact or their way of trying to get there interpretation accepted as fact?
    You also need to consider that all older cars will not have a valid CO2 cert. and therefore be classed by default to the over 225g/km.

This is all correct, not interpretation.

Q: I am thinking of buying an imported used car after July, how will the new Road Tax system affect me?

A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000). Used vehicles first registered in previous country after 1st July 2008 will be based on the CO2 Road Tax rates while those registered in other member states between the 1st January and 1st July 2008 will be taxed on whichever rate is lower. (See Tables 1 and 2)

http://www.simi.ie/Files/simi_roadtaxvrt.pdf

This I'm not so sure about. I've been told that this is correct and definitely going to happen, others say it's never been mentioned and it's not happening.

AudiChris wrote: »
    This I'm not so sure about. I've been told that this is correct and definitely going to happen, others say it's never been mentioned and it's not happening.

It's been mentioned and for a while they were going to do it but it has(thankfully) been dropped AFAIK. They don't want a situation where 2 identical cars have different tax rates because one's an import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 rambler924

This is all correct, not interpretation.

Hi,
    You have broken my post into 2 parts, the first you confirm to be the correct interpretion, the second you are not so sure about. The second part is an extract from page 2 of the SIMI document refered to in the first part of my post.
    ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

???????

Can't blame you, rambler for being unsure. The relevant politicians have been limp, undecisive and worst of all, ignorant. Their policies have been changing and the latest state of affairs is in your case that if you import a pre-2008 car, it will be taxed based on CC, but the VRT will be based on CO2

Hi,
    You have broken my post into 2 parts, the first you confirm to be the correct interpretion, the second you are not so sure about. The second part is an extract from page 2 of the SIMI document refered to in the first part of my post.
    ???????

Yep.

The first part is correct - if you can't prove your CO2 figure with a COC or similar, the Revenue have the right to plonk you into Category G and charge you 36% VRT (and for 08 reg cars, €2,000pa road tax).

The second part is an interpretation by the SIMI that I've heard several times but that seems to have been dropped. The idea was to discourage ALL high CO2 imports. It was the Greens' way of hurting the gas-guzzler brigade. By all accounts it's not going ahead - the only people who are including it in their publications at the moment are the SIMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Yes. And you'll get the new road tax rates after July also.

And seeing as its < than 6 months old you would have to pay VAT also.... so hide till Aug at least!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement