Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving my modem to a new house ?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

I am moving out of the family home to an apartment half a mile away & would like to know can I bring my modem with me & use it there ? I pay the BB part of the ntl bill at the family home although it's in my dads name, please don't quote any legal issues in reply just the technical fesability of the idea. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

no no no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

If you had an NTL coonection., it should work. I am not sure why you would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

If you had an NTL coonection., it should work. I am not sure why you would though.
    I use it for my work & can't afford any down time waiting for a new installation in the new place,..yes ntl do offer BB in the new place also.
    hey kazu your keyboard needs replacing, only 2 keys seem to be working ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Assuming your on the same (cable) network segment, and bring the filters, it should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

eh.. the bb doesn't come via the modem but via the line/cable =- needs to be enabled!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

amtc wrote: »
    eh.. the bb doesn't come via the modem but via the line/cable =- needs to be enabled!

For DSL, yes. For Cable broadband, no.

Kazu wrote: »
    no no no
    oh yessssss

cgarvey wrote: »
    Assuming your on the same (cable) network segment, and bring the filters, it should work fine.
    filters ???? it's not a phone line it cable BB :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

amtc wrote: »

Wrong on 2 counts. Only the local segment "needs to be enabled".
    lensman wrote: »
    filters ???? it's not a phone line it cable BB :rolleyes:
    Most BB and digital installations have filters installed (for the same reason you need them on DSL lines). Roll your eyes away.

Advertisement