Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moustache Handlebars

Options
  • 12-03-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else use them here? I only started using them recently, and they are pretty damn comfy and have a variety of hand positions. I think I prefer them to drops. Seriously thinking of replacing the drops on my nearly finished Cross Check.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i feel about moustache bars more or less the same way i feel about moustaches. but hey, if you think you can pull it off, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

This may be of some assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I tried them out on your new bike ;-) and wasn't as keen on them as drops; main issue was I think that I generally prefer to have my hands verticaly orientated rather than horizontal, and they didn't give as much option of that. I find myself using the bar ends a lot on my hybrid for this same reason.

They suit that bike very well though as they are flat and can lie flush with the frame when you remove them for transport, drops would be somewhat unwieldy in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BlackMirror

I've used them extensively on three different fixed gear bikes. What do you want to know?

Basically, they have the following pluses:

Great control, especially in traffic

A range of hand positions with the key difference being how far forward or back your hands are vs. how high or how low. OK, maybe that's not a plus.

Awesome for out of the seat climbing.

If you position your brake levers at the very front of the bars, there's a very aerodynamic hand position where your arms get tucked in real close. This position is very comfortable as well.

Very cool retro styling

Minuses:

No real good low down aero position

Can be uncomfortable after about 60k.

Don't really work with STI shifters. Some mods don't accept bar-end shifters either.

If you like to mount a lot of gadgets on your bars, it's difficult.

They require a shorter stem. However, they might be a good choice if you have a bike that's a tad small for you, as I do.

In general, I like them especially for commuting.

As for the retro-cool styling ....

Rolling Conceptual Art I
    Mondo Causeway Commuter
    Rolling Conceptual Art II
    Souped Up Miyata One-Ten

fixedgear3.jpg

fixedgear2.jpg

fixedgear1.jpg

Advertisement