Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling alone

• 12-03-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Was supposed to go Inter-railing around Europe for about a month or so in the Summer with a couple of friends but they are pulling out (work commitments). Is there any point doing it alone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Of course...go! I travelled by myself to Moscow last year and then got the Trans-Siberian to Mongolia...was great fun, you will meet people on the trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

Galadriel wrote: »
    Of course...go! I travelled by myself to Moscow last year and then got the Trans-Siberian to Mongolia...was great fun, you will meet people on the trains.

Man that sounds amazing, I think I will do it- I think I just have a picture in my head of being really bored ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You won't be bored, too much to see, lots of people travel around on there own so I'm sure you will encounter some others on your journey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Def do it. Your mates will be sick with jealousy when you tell them the great time you had and you def won't regret going on your own. You'll meet loads of people along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

dont hesitate in travelling on your own...great ay to meet people you probably wont speak to if you were in a group...you'll also gain confidence and independance no end! seriously, just plan your route, let someone at home know your proposed plan incase you need to be contacted and bring locks for your luggage(amongst the usual safety precautions) and i dont see why you'll have any regrets...have a blast ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I went travelling on my own and loved it. Hooked up with some cool people along the way but for the most part I was toute seule and personally having travelled with others before I way preferred it. No hassle deciding where to go or having to keep schtum to save arguments even if you not too happy with choices made. It's so easy to meet people as you go along and often you can end up travelling on further with them too.

Do it, do it, do it!!!!

AB.

PS..

Not sure if you attached or whatever but if not... may I add that I've never been chatted up more in my entire life than I was on that trip. People find independent travellers really interesting!

Just some food for thought....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Yeah definitely go.
    Come to October/November, imagine having to say that you didn't have your trip because no-one would go with you? Silly.

I travelled two summers with my friends and then last summer, they were all doing their own and I was trying to decide what to do. Ended up going off for four weeks on my own around Ger/Aus/Switz and was the best thing ever! Not saying that I wasn't nervous or there weren't times when I felt a bit at sea, but in general it was a terrific experience! Second what post above says, people are really interested in solo travellers and it's sooooo easy to mix and hang out for a few days with a group.

This summer, probably gone the other extreme and couldn't imagine travelling with anyone else! Heading off to Vietnam/Cambodia for a few weeks, should be an adventure.

So defo go for it. I remember reading that you won't be able to share experiences the same when you get back because there will be things that people just won't get without being there -at the same time, you'll have a completely unique collection of memories!
    Sounds corny but it's a great feeling - you'll have the best time ever and never look back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Galadriel wrote: »

Hey what was moscow like, hoping to go there this summer

Advertisement