Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I keep trying!

Options
  • 12-03-2008 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Yeah, last time I wrote a log I actually put on weight.
    I dont know how that happened. I was eating well and exercising 3 times a week.

So my weight kept creeping up and finally I reached my heaviest ever a month ago-12 stone 2.5 pounds. Funnily enough, I was in the drapery dept of Dunnes Stores when I realised this. I was looking at bed clothes when I saw a set of weighting scales and I said shur I'd jump on the see what I weighed. I got the fright of my life. So I immediately hopped off and vowed to get back to my target weight of 11 stone. That would make me a size 10/12. At the moment Im a 14, but could squeeze into a 12.

I seem to carry alot of my weight around my waist. I am some how genetically pre-disposed to this. It seems easy to put on and impossible to get off!

So, I joined a different gym, one where I got fitness advice from and one thats on my way home from work so its easy to get to (no excuses!!!). So, I started off on my fitness programme. The instructor said I was extremely stiff (especially in my right knee, which he is right about) so not to do any treadmill (I get pains afterwards). He said he didnt want me to do anything too strenous for the first month, while I tried to get myself into preshape to start serious working out.

So, at the moment, I am doing the following 3 times a week:

7 mins -bike - freewheel to warm up.
    10 mins cross trainer - 30 secs at a heart rate of 110 and 30 secs of heart rate of 135.
    12 X 3 (each leg) of step aerobics (you know where you step up and down).

12 X 3 - bench press - 2 Kilos
    12 X 3 - standing up - 1.5
    5 kg X 3 - chest press

5-7 mins at the end spent stretching.

I found myself loosing about 4 pounds immediately, but like alot of people I guess, I then plateau'ed.

I am a bit silly I think when it comes to diet. Especially at the weekends.

I am ok during the week. Yesterday I had:

Bowl of bran flakes with low fat milk

Cup of coffee, no sugar

Sandwich with low fat butter, 1 slice lean ham and 1 low fat sliced cheese on 2 slices of granary bread. Along with a low cal golden vegetable cuppa soup and an apple (this is usually the same for lunch - may vary a little i.e today at lunch I had a bag of pop corn and save the apple until 15:00).

Dinner was: Chicken curry. Made from chicken breast. With the packet of hot curry sauce powder. Made with lots of onions and red pepper fried in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. 2 table spoons of Basmati rice and some oven chips. I think I ate too many ovenchips (that is a problem of mine, I love chips so I figure oven chips are better).

Now, I wont lie, by 9 I was hungry again, but resisted eating. I had another cup of coffee, no sugar and that was that.

I might buy some oat cakes to snack on - they kinda fill you up. Anyone anyother suggestions? Or any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Had basically the same breakfast and lunch yesterday, except I also had half a bag of pop corn.

Dinner was not so good, I think. It was half a Ciabatta, with chicken breast, chilli & garlic sauce (nothing creamy), low fat cheddar cheese and a tiny bit of garlic butter along with onions, lettuce and half a tomato. Plus I had some oven chips again (damn oven chips). But I don’t feel like it’s a dinner unless there is some kind of carbohydrate. Am worried am over eating carbohydrate-wise.

Am going to the gym at 5.30 and will stay there for 30-40 mins.

I am starting to feel hungrier than before I started to workout.

Well, I think like most people, this weekend was a disaster. Went out Friday night and had drinks (was on a Hen) and then an abrakebabra.

Saturday, cause I was hungover, I ate all around me.

Sunday I went to the gym, and didnt feel too bad. But Went out again Sunday night and afterward ate a Whopper with Cheese.

Monday was a bad day again.

Am not going to give up though. I have 2 weeks holidays coming up and am positive I can kick start again. If I could just loose that 3/4 of a stone.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dv6

Dont let a bad weekend get ya down, get to the gym asap and do a real tough workout, you'll feel much better afterwards and can kick on from there.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I have definately toned up since I started the gym. I feel it just a little bit in my clothes.

I had my new workout done last Thursday and had some stats taken - I have lost 1/2 pound each week I have been there - at least it hasnt gone up! So I have been in the gym 5 weeks. Better than nothing me thinks!

I have had my workout totally changed. According to the gym guy, you NEED to change your workout evey 4 weeks or so as your body gets used to it and doesnt find any resistance. Well, I did the new workout myself twice already and it takes roughly 50mins. I am sure that the more I do it the faster I will get again. I am sweating buckets and really digging into it. I also havent drank in 2 weeks and have ate pretty well. But this weekend is going to be another test as I have a wedding on Friday and I will be drinking. Will hit the gym Saturday to try counteract that.

So, I would say that another maybe 8 pounds off and Ill be back to my normal weight. I hope by the summer (end of May) I will be able to wear what I want with confidence!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You need to increase your activity levels and reduce eating food that isn't good for your goal i.e. weight loss.

Increasing activity levels burns calories. Lots of activity burns lots of cals. When I am triathlon training I basically cannot eat enough to maintain my weight without forcing myself to stuff myself at regular intervals.

If you don't see weight loss, then just workout for longer, or do bigger compound exercises (squat, deadlift, bench press @ challenging weights) to burn more calories. Make sure someone helps instruct you with these before you try them yourself.

You shouldn't feel hungry if you are eating properly. The idea is to eat sensibly, not like a starving monk on a remote island living off grass. Have a few nuts / grapes / apples / oranges to snack on when you feel like it.

In summary --> lots of activity and sensbile foods without starving yourself.

• Advertisement

So, I was really bad for a few weeks there. The last time I went to the gym before it all went wrong was the 31st March. In between there was a wedding, then nights out etc, more hangovers, more food, so when I got back to the gym last Sunday, I weighted myself and thank God had only put on 1lb (considering I’ve only lost about 2 and ¼ lbs in total).

So, trying to get into a new regime, I went this at 8.00 this morning for an hour and did lots of cardio. I have to get up lately at 6.30 to drop my partner to work (he sold his car and is waiting to get a new one – could take a few weeks), so I thought Id take advantage of this (cause normally Id go home, watch TV and wait for the time to get ready). It also helps when the day is so nice and sunny, puts a pep in your step. So, at 6.45 this morning I had 1 weetabix and skimmed milk. I was pretty hungry at 10.30 so went on break there. I wanted something with protein, but the canteen of course doesn’t cater for scambled eggs etc. So I ended up eating a scone with a mug of coffee (no sugar).

So, I have to admit defeat and now think that my diet is the problem. I couldn’t see scambled egg, so I went for the scone. Surely there was something else there more healthy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do protein bars etc things like that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭lindak

Hey , you could bring some boiled eggs with ya ! I boil them the night before and bring them in to work the next day. A hanful of unsalted nuts also do the trick if your a little peckish !

Went to the gym again this morning at 8. Did 50 minutes.

7 mins warm up on bike
    18 minutes cross trainer – 1min 130 strides, 30 sec 160 strides and so on
    Then the rest was weights (2kgs) and stretching.

So far I have eaten:

6.45 1 weetabix with skimmed milk
    9.00 2 boiled eggs (thanks linda!) no yellow bit (don’t like taste)
    10.30 Coffee with milk (they have no skimmed milk in the canteen).
    For lunch I have 2 slices of rye bread, with Golden Olive butter, 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of low fat cheese and a sachet of low fat vegetable soup. I may get some pop corn and will have an apple also.

Dunno what to have for dinner, there isnt much in the house.

I don’t feel hungry yet after eating the 2 boiled eggs. But am skeptical. I hope I manage till lunch time!

Ok, the last time I posted was the 17th April, almost a month ago.
    Things have not been going too well on the healthiness front.
    My eating is ok, not exceptionally healthy but ok during the week, but the weekends are so hard, with regards going out and fast-food…..
    I managed to put on 1 ½ pounds back on, not very good seeing as I found it so hard in the first place to loose even that tiny amount.
    I also missed the gym for about 2 weeks there (membership is actually up this week). It was a combination of laziness, tiredness and I then put my back out.

So, I went playing tennis there Sunday and I swear I nearly keeled over. Also, the feeling of my stomach bouncing around nearly made me feel ill.
    I think I stopped the gym also because I wasn’t seeing results. I went for 2 weeks in a row and ate so well and lost nothing. So, I guess motivation was down.

So, I am back in form again. I have started taking a supplement called Cider Vinegar 600 (with Apple Cider Vinegar, Globe Artichoke and dandelion). I’ve heard these can be good when taking as part of a healthy diet.

Oh Lord, I just saw a photo of myself at the last wedding I was at an I look awful. Ive another wedding in a month so time to get back on the horse (or rather bike).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Ok, the last time I posted was the 17th April, almost a month ago.......

. I went for 2 weeks in a row and ate so well and lost nothing. So, I guess motivation was down.......

Ive another wedding in a month so time to get back on the horse (or rather bike).

You seem to have a big problem with discipline and focusing on long term goals.

There is no quick fix so stick with it. We are talking about months here, not days or weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

dellas1979 wrote: »
    I couldn’t see scambled egg, so I went for the scone. Surely there was something else there more healthy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do protein bars etc things like that work?

Today I brought in my lunch and snacks to work, a hard boiled egg, raw mange tout, hummus, grilled chicken fillet, onion, tomato, avocado, mixed leaves. It only took me 10 minutes to prepare. If you think about it, it's probably the same amount of time you'd take agonising over the scone in the first place :D

...wait for the time to get ready

Sounds like you've got time to spare in the morning, so this is the best option. Stick with a good routine and you will see results! Discipline! :)

Other healthy options are, grilled turkey fillets, tuna, carrot sticks, stews and curries made in a big batch and frozen in portions. Even if I'm running late in the morning, I can grab one of those, a hard boiled egg, apple, bread with peanut butter and I'm off.

Edit: Also, a guy in work was trying to get fit and healthy so he starting eating those Alpen bars (raspberry and yoghurt and muesli) He gave one to me and it was 400 calories! He would have been better off with a mars bar (294 kcal). Ultimately the best option for snacking is wholefoods, especially vegetables.

Advertisement