Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Website Development

Options
  • 12-03-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,

Seeing as the iPhone is officially being launched here this week, I've decided to build an iPhone dedicated version of the tv/cinema/music listings website, entertainment.ie. If anyone with an iPhone wants to have a look and possibly leave some feedback/feature requests here before the official launch in 2 days that would be great.

Address is http://entertainment.ie/mobile/ - still a work in progress, some bits may not work, might throw errors

1.1.4 users, I've already put in a custom homescreen icon which is probably my favourite bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

nice work! i'm very impressed! will be adding that to my homescreen for sure.
    i'm also working on an iPhone version of my website, i really like the homescreen icon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

just add a 57x57pixel png image called "apple-touch-icon.png" to your website root and it should work. bit of trial and error to get the centering right.

Thanks for the feedback, anything you'd like added that we feature on the main site? I've rakes of content available to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

really nice, i love how simple the design is and the home screen icon is a nice touch. great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I checked on my N95 and it works well on it although the text is a little bit big and there is a little too much space between the rows on the main page.

As there are more phones that the iPhone with web capabilities why not try to build a more generic mobile version of your site and not make it iPhone specific.
    For an example of a good, quick loading mobile site check bbc.co.uk/mobile

Just one thing I've noticed is that clicking on "map" for the Eye Cinema and Oranmore Omniplex in Galway won't locate on the map. I think the addresses are too specific i.e. removing the "Wellpark retail park" and replacing with "Wellpark Road" for the Eye Cinema will give you a result.

• Advertisement

There are 3 N95s in the office, so it's already on the books to be converted for general mobile use once it's finished. I want to make sure it's perfect for iPhone though as there's gonna be a lot of iPhone press over the next week or two.

I'm actually working on the mapping bit right now. We have the latitude and longitude of most the cinemas in our database, so I'm going to use them for locating rather than a name in the search string. I've updated the gig listings page as such and apart from it thinking dolans warehouse is in Germany somewhere, it seems to work :)

Just one thing I've noticed is that clicking on "map" for the Eye Cinema and Oranmore Omniplex in Galway won't locate on the map. I think the addresses are too specific i.e. removing the "Wellpark retail park" and replacing with "Wellpark Road" for the Eye Cinema will give you a result.

I updated the mapping link to use coordinates instead of names, but of course, we dont have the coordinates for the Eye cinema, so now - if the coordinates aren't there, it reverts back to a name search but a little less specific. Kinda works.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I think more specific icons for the "general" categories would be better than the arrow/triangle...
    i.e. for cinema use a film reel or something, for TV Tonight use a TV... etc, etc..

yeah, i'd been thinking that myself. good idea - will give it a go

iamnothim wrote: »
    I updated the mapping link to use coordinates instead of names, but of course, we dont have the coordinates for the Eye cinema, so now - if the coordinates aren't there, it reverts back to a name search but a little less specific. Kinda works.

Cool, it's only a small feature but it'd be really handy if you don't know the city. Just one more thing, the Oranmore Omniplex address still doesn't work - I'm not sure what the correct spelling is but searching for Carrowmoneash, Oranmore, Galway will give you an approx location.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

I don't have an iphone but it looks good on a n95. I would definitely use this. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Is sweet - well done - the homepage icon works cool too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shiner1

Thats excellent, thank you. Have added it to my homepage icons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shiner1

Yeah the map for cinemas in limerick is way off too. Guess it's a google problem, or what about a more exact link?
    Here are the 2 cinemas in limerick, and one for tralee, maybe some of the other peeps can get you the info about theirs.

Storm Cinema, Limerick - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Storm%20Cinema,Limerick@52.664515,-8.552599

Omniplex Cinema, Limerick - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Omniplex%20Cinema,Limerick@52.640306,-8.644234

Tralee Omniplex, Co.Kerry - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Omniplex%20Cinema,Kerry@52.267721,-9.708175

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

ROFL. Nice linkbait. Well done by the way; you created a Safari-compatible website.

Advertisement