Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B.M.W. Hell

Options
  • 12-03-2008 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey all,

I am/ was Driving a 96 Bmw 316i coupe, was running grand until i was driving through cork city stuck in rush hour traffic and the temperature gauge shot up straight in to the red managed to park it up and was just walking away when there a small pop and then a loud hiss,
    Steam pour out for under the bonnet and water for under the car, anyway got it to the garage at which point the mechanic told me it was the housing. So i got it fixed.

The car work fine for about 3 month until i was stuck in traffic again seen the gauge shoot up again, parked up towed the car to an other garage (hoping he would do a better job than the last) at which point he told me the thermostat was gone. So i fixed it.

That was grand was driving the car for about an other month or so. This time not in traffic just doing a small trip into work (about 7 mile). and the thermostat shoots up again. So as i,ve been doing parked up, looked under the bonnet this time it looks like the water is coming out off the water pump. So this is where i am now sick of paying mechanic's that are either taking me for a ride or don't know what there doing really don't want to go to main dealer and get ripped off by them and a car i use to love parked up at the side of the road for 2 months or more. Am i just getting really unlucky and these are total unrelated or is there a consistent problem that everyone has been missing.

so any body know a good b.m.w. mechanic in cork or maybe give me some idea to what the problem maybe

thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ardfallen Motors seem to be the lads to use in Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like the temp sender is not working so the fan won't know when to kick in, or the fan itself is borked - does it ever run?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

For starts, it sounds like you water pump seal is in bits. Get that fixed, and replace the water pump while you at it, as the impeller on these cars has a history of breaking. Then ask them to do a compression test of the cooling system to see if there are other leaks. I hope you head gasket or block isnt gone. Check for mayonaisse like gunk on your oil filler cap.

I had a very similar problem on my E36 last year when it went into the red while stuck in traffic. I turned the engine off immediately. The coolant level was waaay down. I topped it up, drove for a while, then the coolant level was way down again for some reason. The next day, when the engine was cold, I took off the expansion tank cap, turned on the engine, ran it till it got warm, and at the same time, topped up the coolant. No issues since.

Plastic impellers :mad: Why?

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.
    Saves €€€

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Mike.

Ive heard the E36 came with both. My original one was metal. The one I got from GSF was metal as well. Sweet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If it were me I would go to M.M.W. Murphy Motor Works. The lads are ex-BMW mechanics. Know their stuff.

They are based down near Pairc Ui Caoimh.

They are also in Golden Pages.

I unfortunately swapped out a water pump with a metal impeller one for one with a plastic impeller. Both O.E.M. At least it's new.

kbannon wrote: »
    Saves €€€

I know, it was a rhetorical question. :)

Mike.

I know, it was a rhetorical question. :)

Mike.
    I know, it was a rhetorical answer. :)

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

If theres no where to pull in quickly you can cool the engine in an emergency by turning the in car heating and the fan on to full, should bring the engine temp. down enough to get you to somewhere you can pull in and have it checked. Worked before in my experience when the fan wasn't cutting in on a ford i used to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 micro097

Sounds like the temp sender is not working so the fan won't know when to kick in, or the fan itself is borked - does it ever run?

Mike.

the fan seems to be fine it runs wen i start the car, not sure about the temp sender never even heard of it,

big job or small job??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Bendihorse has given the OP excellent advice in the unfortunate event that the 316i overheats again. Overheating is something BMWs are noted for doing as they get older unfortunately, but for the car to do it 3 times is seriously unlucky. These days BMWs don't come with temperature gauges, which is sheer lunacy.

Turn the heater to as hot as it will go, and the fan onto the highest speed, it's the heat of the engine that is used to heat the inside of the car, so it should get the temperature gauge down fairly quickly.

This is also something anyone who takes their own car along for a track day should do too when they're finished, as you are putting your engine under a lot of strain when you take it out on a track.

Opening the windows to prevent being stuck in a sauna is optional:).

E92 wrote: »
    Bendihorse has given the OP excellent advice in the unfortunate event that the 316i overheats again. Overheating is something BMWs are noted for doing as they get older unfortunately, but for the car to do it 3 times is seriously unlucky. These days BMWs don't come with temperature gauges, which is sheer lunacy.

Turn the heater to as hot as it will go, and the fan onto the highest speed, it's the heat of the engine that is used to heat the inside of the car, so it should get the temperature gauge down fairly quickly.

This is also something anyone who takes their own car along for a track day should do too when they're finished, as you are putting your engine under a lot of strain when you take it out on a track.

Opening the windows to prevent being stuck in a sauna is optional:).

thank man i used to do that but then thermostat went which stop it working haven,t tried it since but for anyone else it work as a temp job but risky

Check the viscous coupling also - its a common part to go.
    Roll up a newspaper and try and stop the engine fan (with the paper) whilst the engine is running. If it stops then you need to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would say it is most likely the viscous coupling (or fan clutch as it'salso known) if the problem only manifests itself in traffic.

Things I would recommend the following to be done at 80-100k miles on a BMW:

Change thermostat (€60)
    Change water pump (€90)
    Change viscous fan coupling (€60)
    Get Radiator pressure tested (€50)
    Change Radiator cap (€10)
    Obviously change coolant after all this, don't just top up with water. (€32, BMW)

You should have no overheating issues after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I would say it is most likely the viscous coupling (or fan clutch as it'salso known) if the problem only manifests itself in traffic.

Things I would recommend the following to be done at 80-100k miles on a BMW:

Change thermostat (€60)
    Change water pump (€90)
    Obviously change coolant after all this, don't just top up with water. (€32, BMW)

You should have no overheating issues after this.

+1.

Last year i was driving a BMW 318 i.s, Same thing happened to me. Rush hour traffic on the N3 in Dublin (I even managed to make the morning traffic news:o)

Any way the main problem was the viscus fan was borked.

I replaced the viscus fan/clutch, Thermostat and housing and replaced my upper rad hose as the original blew off and disintergrated. I was lucky i didn't cook the engine.

I think you said you've replaced the thermostat and housing so i wreckon your viscus fan and maybe your waterpump needs doing.

Havn't had an issue since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    Check the viscous coupling also - its a common part to go.
    Is the fan not plain and simple on/off electric?

No. the fan is on all the time. The viscous coupling allows it the fan to spin faster when the engine gets hot.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscous_coupling_unit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

ive been working on bmws/merc all my life...litterally , and its sounds to me you only top the poor E36 with petrol and drive it into the ground , besides every car breaks , you just have to repair it or sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

S.I.R wrote: »
    ive been working on bmws/merc all my life...litterally
    Bmw and merc are the same company who own mini and volvo ( but they sold them to GM right ? )

Hmmm....

• Advertisement

Rofllers! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Caught.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Classic!

thanks amillion lads you,ve all been great

i think what i,m going to try is this

Change water pump (€90)
    Obviously change coolant after all this, don't just top up with water. (€32, BMW):mad:

If this fails maybe bring to MMW:(

And if that fails :rolleyes:bring it to a cliff burn it out and push it off and claim off the insurance :D:):oJOke lol

thanks agian for all the input i will keep you informed

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

ive been working on bmws/merc all my life...litterally , and its sounds to me you only top the poor E36 with petrol and drive it into the ground , besides every car breaks , you just have to repair it or sell it

Sounds like you have loads of experience...........

id be very interested as i may be doing a FAS apprenticeship in bodywork.

would be nice to look and learn from someone with exp.

I am a apprentise mechanic if im any use...

sent you a pm with further info :)

Hmmmm......maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

This is classic !!!

Deffo get the viscous fan done, but you've probably blown the pump also. The later E46's crack the expansion bottle instead !!

The caps should release but alot dont. Mercs are the same so I replace these caps every couple of years, its only €10 !

na not really but like said it happens main in traffic i really liked (not sure if i feel that way now) this car and looked after it

ty again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

micro097 wrote: »
    i loved my beaver wen it was going fine

We presume you meant beamer?? :rolleyes:

We presume you meant beamer?? :rolleyes:

lol i,m a Muppet lol

Anyone know where or have to sell any of the parts above

water pump
    viscous fan coupling
    radiator cap