Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club in Dundalk?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

anyone know of any book clubs in the town area that are looking for members? preferably one that isn't anti-men?

maybe i'll set one up, who's in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Don't know of any myself, you could check in either the town library or Hughes & Hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 prettypolly6

Just had the same thought myself this evening, i'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Raoul

What sort of books do you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 prettypolly6

Anything from the classics to chick/dick lit, i'll give anything a try. I study English in college, so reading the classics is a huge part of my course, so prefer something a bit more lighthearted in my spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mesenger1

Hi there,

Know this thread is a bit dated but is it still viable as I would be interested, did a book club get started? Would love to join as I am an avid reader in the area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 edel26

Count me in too
    (if it is still going ahead)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

I thought this thread was recent - why bring it back from March 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Graceland wrote: »
    I thought this thread was recent - why bring it back from March 2008!

Unfortunately some idea's don't get up and running, but this is a good one!

I'll happily help organise one if there's enough interest, just add your name below!

Dundalk Book Club
    zAbbo

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Hi zAbbo- how weird- I was just thinking about joining a book club today! Dundalk really needs one. Count me in if it goes ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

theres one in DkiT Library

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 flutterberry

id be in hopefully it gets up and running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 niconac

So I take it this didn't get up and running.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

Hi, just googled Dundalk book club and this thread was the only thing that popped up. Did this ever happen? If not, do you want to try to make it happen?

So this post has been going for over 2 years, is a club going to happen?
    Is everyone who has posted here interested in starting one?

Cionnaith
    indiewindy
    prettypolly6
    Raoul
    Mesenger1
    edel26
    Graceland
    zAbbo
    pinky 06
    MonkeyTennis
    flutterberry
    lillou
    niconac(me)

Answers please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

yes, count me in

(if no one else replies in a few days we can send some pm's)

Ok lillou,
    That's 2 of us so far :)

Anyone else out there?........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mrfreddred

There is a Book Club in Blackrock ... more info at the link below

http://www.blackrockvillage.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=153&Itemid=120

There is also a new website for authors to get publish FREE until the end of the month.

http://www.publishmybook.ie

im still interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Lads, if this gets the go ahead- I have a meeting room for you that you are more than welcome to. Its on the main road into blackrock with off street parking, and no-i'm not looking for any money for it. Free of charge! :)

Room for 12 easily-14 or 15 at a squeeze!!

4.jpg

So its that easy - turn up with a book, all the rest is done for ye

now we just need to pick a book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Phrixos

Hi, everyone.

It looks like a book club is not on the cards for Dundalk. (It is a large commitment, which, I regret, I myself cannot spare the time for; the fact its, I devote all my reading-time to researching for my writing—which brings me to my point in posting here.

The prospects for a local book club aside (and whilst not starting one) the people expressing that interest here do demonstrate a love of reading.
    Thus, I'm wondering if there may be some among you in the broader Dundalk area who may be interested in a different kind of reading project--specifically, reviewing a (pre-production, non-fiction) manuscript.

(Sampler):

"A blitzkrieg of new and often contentious material used to bond more mainstream stock, the Forbidden Histories strive to show and amongst so much else, how what we write into ourselves and so into our children is based upon so much wrong information. Thus, is assembled a very different body of history, literature, biography, and sociology—a particularly unsung set of whos, whys, and hows—their myths, religions and politics, their parenting and their pain. In the process, it arches: from India to Egypt, from Britain to Bulgaria, and from ancient Greece to modern America. This is to say it also encompasses things between—foremost among which cultures are the French. Together the series* frames in its “big picture,” a comprehensive study of power: how it is used, abused and, where necessary, overcome. "

(*)The Forbidden Histories of Frankenstein:
    Bad Parenting, Bad Politics, Bad Faith

A series of five books:

1, Revolution
    2. Prisoners
    3. Escape
    4. Stealth.
    5. The Suburbs of Utopia

Details to follow, if anyone expresses an interest.

Oh!

My only having must posted, I now see additional posts, indicating that a book club is materilizing in Dundalk, after all. (Where did that come from?)

Good luck to everyone there.

(Needless to say, my post still stands.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No offence but that piece is so wordy as to be rendered almost illegible. Try shorter sentences and less cumbersome punctuation. It depends on the target audience of course but, boy, was that a heavy paragraph!

Noted. Thanks for replying.

Advertisement