Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pundits talking nonsence

• 12-03-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

One thing that annoys me more than anything is uninformed pundits spouting opinions as if they are facts when they are clearly wrong. Most recently, Rednapp and Andy Grey, sperately, going on about how if you took Torres & Gerrards goals away from Liverpool they would be 13th in the league.

Heres some statistics.

League
    Liverpool: Goals overall-53. Torres & Gerrard-29 55% of goals scored
    ManU: Goals overall-58, Ronaldo & Tevez- 32 55% of goals scored
    Arsenal: Goals Overall-57, Adebayor & Fabregas-26 46% of goals scored

Chelsea are substantially lower with Lampard & Drogba scoring 26% but its been a mediocre year for those two and Drogba was away in Africa. Last season the percentage would have been much much higher.

If you take the two top scorers out of the big four, here are the goals scored by the rest of the team.

Cheski- 56
    Arsenal - 55
    Liverpool- 45
    Man Utd - 35

Also the way they go on about Rafa resting Torres you would swear that he only played half of the games this season. He has started 30 times and been used as a sub 4 times. Thats a total of 34 apperances.

Liverpool have played around 37 Champions League/League games. Torres was also out for a month with an injury.

Compared with Utd, Ronaldo has started 30 games and been used as a sub 4 times. Rooney has made 27 apperances. I know they had injuries but they have also been rested on occasion.

I just wish they would do a bit of research into what they are spouting.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I stopped listening to them, they just dont seem to like Liverpool having a bit of success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I stopped listening to them, they just dont seem to like Liverpool having a bit of success

They like entertaining football by the sounds it.

Something Liverpool rarely produce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive no problem with someone criticizing a team, player or performance but when they are getting basic facts wrong its frustrating because then you have people watching this on tv and taking it as a truth.

I mean, these guys get paid BIG BIG money for their opinions...its hard to believe.
    ntlbell wrote: »
    They like entertaining football by the sounds it.

Something Liverpool rarely produce

Leave it out, has nothing to do with this thread. Please dont let this turn into another Liverpool are crap, no they are good, no they are crap, no they are good thread..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yup, pretty much exactly what i thought of too when they came out with those stats. dunphy tho treats them as gospel and as long as no1 is around to ask him hard questions about his punditry he'll continue to use them to spout sh1te.
    italian football is h1te and the PL is hype.... but didnt roma knock out la liga leaders real madrid eamonn? sure ignore that, dont mention it.... it might cause ppl to question why they pay their licence fees

Tusky wrote: »
    Ive no problem with someone criticizing a team, player or performance but when they are getting basic facts wrong its frustrating because then you have people watching this on tv and taking it as a truth.

I mean, these guys get paid BIG BIG money for their opinions...its hard to believe.

Leave it out, has nothing to do with this thread. Please dont let this turn into another Liverpool are crap, no they are good, no they are crap, no they are good thread..

I'm being honest dunphy and the gang are all about "flair"

Liverpool are very boring to watch and I'm sure if you're an adult and a Liverpool fan you can safely admit they don't have the flair or play with very little player and most of the team is pretty average.

That's all the lads are saying and it's not far from the truth.

United and Arsenal play beautiful football Liverpool don't

It doesn't mean they're bad it's just not "sexy"

Hire a dutch manager.

• Advertisement

Liverpool are very boring to watch and I'm sure if you're an adult and a Liverpool fan you can safely admit they don't have the flair or play with very little player and most of the team is pretty average.

Hire a dutch manager.

Completely off topic. Reported because it will derail the initial intention of thread.

Completely off topic. Reported because it will derail the initial intention of thread.

Eh, fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

the facts may be wrong but the point remains... liverpool are more dependent on torres and gerrard than united are on ronaldo and tevez in my opinion. i agree redknapp and gray's facts are wrong, but the point they're communicating is that liverpool are very very very dependent on 2 players... much much more so than the other teams. Some will disagree, but this would be an opinion i agree with.

i think the difference with torres being rested is he is rested away at portsmouth for example whereas, rooney might get rested against derby at home. all players get rested. I think a bigger issue is made regarding torres because it started with him a very fit guy in his early twenties being "rested" after about 4 games which is ridiculous. its different to rest ronaldo after 16 games in a row, than to rest torres after 3 or 4 games. no premiership footballer (other than ledley king) needs a rest after 3 or 4 games.

edit: i also agree with ntlbell... liverpool are effective but dull as dishwater...

ditpoker wrote: »
    the facts may be wrong but the point remains... liverpool are more dependent on torres and gerrard than united are on ronaldo and tevez in my opinion. i agree redknapp and gray's facts are wrong, but the point they're communicating is that liverpool are very very very dependent on 2 players... much much more so than the other teams. Some will disagree, but this would be an opinion i agree with.

i think the difference with torres being rested is he is rested away at portsmouth for example whereas, rooney might get rested against derby at home. all players get rested. I think a bigger issue is made regarding torres because it started with him a very fit guy in his early twenties being "rested" after about 4 games which is ridiculous. its different to rest ronaldo after 16 games in a row, than to rest torres after 3 or 4 games. no premiership footballer (other than ledley king) needs a rest after 3 or 4 games.

Ching Ching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Statistics eh? What's the point?

Dya know If Liverpool had played all their games this season with no goalkeeper they would probably have had less clean sheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

ditpoker wrote: »

edit: i also agree with ntlbell... liverpool are effective but dull as dishwater...

In the premiership torres hasnt being rested since the Birmingham game last September so the idea of him being rested is a bit ridiculous at this stage!!

Tusky provided the facts above that both Liverpool and Man Utd do rely on their dynamic duo's to score goals but everyone else has their individual job in the team.

Dunphy just really doesnt like Liverpool and even if they did play 'sexy football' he would always find something negative to say!Anybody know who he actually supports?

What is sexy football?Passing the ball around 50 times before being back where you start from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Anybody know who he actually supports?
    Nuneaton Borough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Regarding TV pundits, the words of Dirty Harry spring to mind - Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

Mike.

DesF wrote: »
    Nuneaton Borough.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Bet they play 'sexy football'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Hire a dutch manager.

John Giles has always been mad into his flair yeah:rolleyes:

What is sexy football?Passing the ball around 50 times before being back where you start from?

Not just pass it, be well presented and look "good" passing it.

This rules out launching high balls into any long donkeys.

I'm referring to Niall Quinn here not CROUCH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Pundits get paid to talk nonsense.....alot of the posters on these boards would be equally well paid if it came to talking nonsense!

I think this season is an exceptional one for Liverpool regards being over reliant on Gerrard and Torres. (Obviously Gerrard has dug them out in the past and Torres wasnt there previously!) But last season Kuyt, Crouch and Bellemy (even Garcia and Zenden) were scoring goals too. Whereas we have lost bellemy,garcia and zenden, the replacements havent scored as many goals as soon, and kuyt......well i just cant explain how blunt he looks infront of goals this season.

DSB wrote: »

John loves a bit of flair as long as there's something at the end of it.

E.g. he wouldn't mind 10k step overs as long as the ball was put in the right place and a goal at the end of it.

Giles loves a bit of flair.

hes more into hard graft, honesty and integrity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

One thing that annoys me more than anything is uninformed pundits spouting opinions as if they are facts when they are clearly wrong. Most recently, Rednapp and Andy Grey, sperately, going on about how if you took Torres & Gerrards goals away from Liverpool they would be 13th in the league.

Heres some statistics.

League
    Liverpool: Goals overall-53. Torres & Gerrard-29 55% of goals scored
    ManU: Goals overall-58, Ronaldo & Tevez- 32 55% of goals scored
    Arsenal: Goals Overall-57, Adebayor & Fabregas-26 46% of goals scored

Chelsea are substantially lower with Lampard & Drogba scoring 26% but its been a mediocre year for those two and Drogba was away in Africa. Last season the percentage would have been much much higher.

If you take the two top scorers out of the big four, here are the goals scored by the rest of the team.

Cheski- 56
    Arsenal - 55
    Liverpool- 45
    Man Utd - 35

Also the way they go on about Rafa resting Torres you would swear that he only played half of the games this season. He has started 30 times and been used as a sub 4 times. Thats a total of 34 apperances.

Liverpool have played around 37 Champions League/League games. Torres was also out for a month with an injury.

Compared with Utd, Ronaldo has started 30 games and been used as a sub 4 times. Rooney has made 27 apperances. I know they had injuries but they have also been rested on occasion.

I just wish they would do a bit of research into what they are spouting.

but, have you gone through all the games that gerrard and torres scored in, and taken those goals away from the results?

the percentage of the teams goals they have done really matter in this situation

you know, i wish some people would do a bit of research into what theyre posting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

John loves a bit of flair as long as there's something at the end of it.

E.g. he wouldn't mind 10k step overs as long as the ball was put in the right place and a goal at the end of it.

Giles loves a bit of flair.

Hahahaha yeah right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

mike65 wrote: »
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one

This is why you are the "Boards Soccer" Guru ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gucci wrote: »
    hes more into hard graft, honesty and integrity!

Don't forget Moral Courage

Likes the aul moral courage does Gilesy

Hahahaha yeah right.

You're trying to say he's some hard hitting no nonsense midfielder?

Have you checked out his suits?

dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Helix wrote: »
    but, have you gone through all the games that gerrard and torres scored in, and taken those goals away from the results?

the percentage of the teams goals they have done really matter in this situation

you know, i wish some people would do a bit of research into what theyre posting

So what your saying is if you have one main striker, who scores alot of game winning goals then its wrong?

So Torres scores alot of goals that have won games, he is the main striker its his job to score the goals. I just think alot of non Liverpool fans are jealious that Liverpool have him.

No I haven't, I nicked those stats from another forum as I dont have the time to go through every game individually. However, I am not on tv and am not paid 100s of thousands of pounds for my football opinions so I dont need to do extensive research.

The figures I posted reflect 90% of the picture. If you went through the games to find out what the exact affect of the goals were, the overall result wouldnt differ much.

No I haven't, I nicked those stats from another forum as I dont have the time to go through every game individually. However, I am not on tv and am not paid 100s of thousands of pounds for my football opinions so I dont need to do extensive research.

The figures I posted reflect 90% of the picture. If you were through the games to find out to find out what the exact affect of the goals were, the percentages wouldn't differ much.

They're paid to get people like you up on your high horse and talking about them.

Job done.

It's like saying "Mr Rednapp, gets paid thousands by sky and he's awful"

JOURNALIST DIDN'T RESEARCH OPINION

MORE NEWS AT 11

Could you imagine him mumbling his way through a few sentences pointing out some hard graft and moral courage and announcing "you cant buy moral courage.....its all about heart....you cant bottle that Bill"
    well look no further lazy cowardy footballers:

photo#5022360216800506930

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I do think to an extent Liverpool are more reliant on those two players, and that you can't necessarily infer everything from what would happen if those players weren't there.
    That said, the pundits are just talking crap.

Personally I think the reason they talk this crap is the same reason they can't make it as managers, they don't really understand the game all that well.

• Advertisement

The figures I posted reflect 90% of the picture. If you went through the games to find out what the exact affect of the goals were, the overall result wouldnt differ much.

it would yeah

you could for example have rooney and tevez both scoring a brace in 1 game, thats 4 goals of the total in a match they may have won 5-0 and someone else scored in

that means you take away 4 of the total goals and united have the exact same amount of points, you dig?

with liverpool for example, if they won 2-1 and torres and gerrard scored 1 each, thats -3 points

thats how they worked it out, its got very little to do with the amount of goals the players scored, but the results in the games where they scored them

So what your saying is if you have one main striker, who scores alot of game winning goals then its wrong?

So Torres scores alot of goals that have won games, he is the main striker its his job to score the goals. I just think alot of non Liverpool fans are jealious that Liverpool have him.

nope, i never mentioned anything about torres, or liverpool, or anything

i was pointing out that your mans rant about the "incorrect" stat isnt correct, because hes basing that on his incorrect interpretation of the statement

my point was about the original post, not about fernando torres or liverpool

+1

Liverpool are playing to the strengths of Torres and Gerrard!!!Saying they would be 13th without them is stupid as whoever is replacing them may score goals in those games!!

You cant have Torres!!HES OURS!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and how many times this year have Tevez or Ronaldo scored winners or goals in games Utd only won by a goal this year? I would vouch, quite a few.

The whole point is a stupid one being made by pundits in teh first place. What IF gerrard and Torres didnt play for Liverpool..... well, so wat?! they do and we are happy about that! :)

pundits should spend their time figuring out where newcastle would be with sam allerdyce instead of keegan!

I just did a quick tally there!!I checked twice but Im open to correction

Utd without Tevez and Ronaldo--45 points!! they are currently 64(drop of 19 points)
    Pool without Torres and Gerrard--38 points!! they are currently 56(drop of 18 points)

Guess both teams rely on both partnerships!!Then again players who replace them may score a few goals as well proving that its so pointless saying what if this what if that!!

• Advertisement

right, seeing as im doing nothing in work for the next few minutes

Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-0 Win, points alteration = 0

Liverpool 4-0 West Ham
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-0 Draw, points deduction = 2

Bolton 1-3 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-3 Win, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 3-2 Middlesbrough
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-2 Loss, points deduction = 3

Chelsea 0-0 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-0 Draw, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 3-0 Sunderland
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-0 Win, points deduction = 0

West Ham 1-0 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-0 Loss, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 2-2 Aston Villa
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 2-2 Draw, points deduction = 0

Middlesbrough 1-1 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-0 Loss, points deduction = 1

Liverpool 1-1 Wigan
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-1 Loss, points deduction = 1

Man City 0-0 Liverpool

Derby 1-2 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-0 Loss, points deduction = 3

Liverpool 4-1 Portsmouth
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 2-1 Win, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-1 Loss, points deduction = 0

Reading 3-1 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 3-0 Loss, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 4-0 Bolton
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 2-0 Win, points deduction = 0

Newcastle 0-3 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 2-0 Win, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 2-0 Fulham
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-0 Draw, points deduction = 2

Blackburn 0-0 Liverpool

Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-0 Loss, points deduction = 1

Everton 1-2 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-2 Win, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 2-2 Tottenham
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-2 Loss, points deduction = 1

Wigan 0-1 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-1 Win, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 0-0 Birmingham

Portsmouth 0-0 Liverpool

Liverpool 6-0 Derby
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 4-0 Win, points deduction = 0

Sunderland 0-2 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-2 Win, points deduction = 0

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 0-1 Loss, points deduction = 1

Aston Villa 1-2 Liverpool
    -Torres & Gerrard Goals: 1-1 Draw, points deduction = 2

Total Season Points Deductions: 17

Current points total -17 = 39points = 11th place in premiership

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and how many times this year have Tevez or Ronaldo scored winners or goals in games Utd only won by a goal this year? I would vouch, quite a few.

ill do united when i go home

Total Season Points Deductions: 17

Current points total -17 = 39points = 11th place in premiership

They said 13th?

omfg they was so wrong tusky you have shown them!

Utd without Tevez and Ronaldo--45 points!! they are currently 64(drop of 19 points)
    Pool without Torres and Gerrard--38 points!! they are currently 56(drop of 18 points)

Guess both teams rely on both partnerships!!Then again players who replace them may score a few goals as well proving that its so pointless saying what if this what if that!!

Thank you for this. As I said. very little changes overall....in fact it swings more so in favor of my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

"Honesty of Effort" is Giles' favourite phrase isn't it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Buzzy buzz buzz...

So if most teams played with only 9 players for most the season then their results would be completely different?? This pundit lark would be a great job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I was surprised to hear Dunphy spout this last night.

If it werent for Torres and Gerrard they would be 13th.

If most teams were playing with 9 players they would also be in the dregs. What kind of fcuking statistic is that? At least say "if you replaced those two with Derbys attackers, then they would be in x place". Which for a club with the pools funds would be a rather odd investment.

Studies have shown that if Man U only played with Rooney and Ronaldo up front, and no defenders, midfielders or goalie, they would lose 37-1 against Accrington Stanley on a good day. Did you know that a one man team consisting of only Claude Makelele (in his heyday) would still concede 35 goals if attacked by a team of 10 outfield opposing players?

Amazing stat, isnt it :rolleyes: Honestly, who comes up with this. Next yil hear that if the crossbar was raised by 40 feet we would see more goals scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Fulham 0 - 3 Man Utd -> No Change
    Newcastle 1 - 5 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 1 - 2 Man Cty -> No Change
    Spurs 1 - 1 Man Utd -> - 1 Tevez goal (-1 Point)
    Man Utd 2 - 0 Portsmouth -> - 2 Ronaldo goals (-2 Points)
    Reading 0 - 2 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 6 - 0 Newcastle -> No Change
    Aston Villa 0 - 2 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 1 - 0 Birmingham -> - 1 Tevez goal (-2 Points)
    West Ham 2 - 1 Man Utd -> No Change
    Sunderland 0 - 4 Man Utd - > No Change
    Man Utd 2 - 1 Everton -> - 2 Ronalodo goals (-3 Points)
    Liverpool 0 - 1 Man Utd -> - 1 Tevex goal (-2 Points)
    Man Utd 4 - 1 Derby -> - 2 Tevez goals, 1 Ronaldo goal (-2 Points)
    Man Utd 2 - 0 Fulham -> - 2 Ronaldo goals (-2 Points)
    Bolton 1 - 0 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 2- 0 Blackburn -> - 2 Ronaldo goals (-2 Points)
    Arsenal 2 - 2 Man Utd -> - 1 Ronaldo goal (-1 Point)
    Man Utd 4 - 1 Boro -> No Change
    Villa 1 - 4 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 4 - 0 -> No Change
    Birmingham 0 - 1 Man Utd -> - 1 Ronaldo goal (-2 Points)
    Man Utd 2 - 0 Chelsea -> No Change
    Everton 0 - 1 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 1 - 0 Sunderland -> No Change
    Man Utd 1 - 0 Spurs -> No Change
    Man City 1 - 0 Man Utd -> No Change
    Pompy 1 - 1 Man Utd -> No Change
    Man Utd 0 - 0 Reading

United drop 19 points putting them in joint 8th without Tevez's or Ronaldo's goals.

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Man Utd 0 - 0 Reading

United drop 19 points putting them in joint 8th without Tevez's or Ronaldo's goals.

Cheers.

Manchester Utd drop 19 points and 6 places down to 8th.
    Liverpool drop 17 points and 7 places down to 11th.

Point proved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cheers.

Manchester Utd drop 19 points and 6 places down to 8th.
    Liverpool drop 17 points and 7 places down to 11th.

Point proved.

DING DING DING!!

Gray and Rednapp are unbelievably bad analysts. I take the point that on a general level most pundits talk crap. But it doesn't and shouldn't have to be that way. How is it that Guim Ballique (sp :o - the Spanish soccer analyst on Sky) can be so competent at his job whereas the rest are generally under prepared and / or inarticulate?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    DING DING DING!!

Gray and Rednapp are unbelievably bad analysts. I take the point that on a general level most pundits talk crap. But it doesn't and shouldn't have to be that way. How is it that Guim Ballique (sp :o - the Spanish soccer analyst on Sky) can be so competent at his job whereas the rest are generally under prepared and / or inarticulate?

Pretty sure Guillem could do as good a job any Prem pundit could do on the Premiership, while most Prem pundits wouldn't know their ar$e from their elbow if they had to comment on La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

On a related point - How many pundits have Sky got...loads..?

Charlie Nicohlas prob me fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Call_me_al wrote: »
    Man Utd 0 - 0 Reading

But you have forgotten to give the teams who now got points from Man U the points that you have taken from united and so I believe your computations are flawed.

But you have forgotten to give the teams who now got points from Man U the points that you have taken from united and so I believe your computations are flawed.

damn you didnt think of that but it smacks of effort!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement