Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Top Five Most Unattractive Qualities in a Man

• 12-03-2008 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

to get the ball rolling

1. No sense of humour
    2. Stupidity
    3. Selfishness
    4. Bad kisser
    5. Dirty Nails, yellow teeth and red gums (they're not really qualities so I thought I'd get away with three!)

Apologies if this has already been done!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

In no particular order

Over confident and fake accent eg (in a fake Dublin posh accent) So Dad just like gave me a few grand to go to the game with the lads!
    Bad personal hygiene eg BO
    Eating with their mouth open
    Scabbiness while eatind out, cinema etc
    Guys who think they're real smart and fill you with loads of facts that arent true etc

Lol, i thought that was aimed at me Dragan and couldnt figure out where the stupid thing came from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It helps if you give examples or at least relativities?

For example, your Stupid might be someone elses clever and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

1. Bad Skin
    2. Bad Hygiene
    3. Closeminded
    4. Tee Totaller
    5. Too laddish/too metro (like a bit if in between)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Dragan wrote: »
    It helps if you give examples or at least relativities?

For example, your Stupid might be someone elses clever and such.

I mean really thick!! I like men who are interested in the world and its goings on. Clever enough to be able to have an intelligent conversation with I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

1. Guys with a loutish sense of humour.

2. Guys who think just because you don't speak like a retarded knacker that you're "real posh" and then mimick your voice.

3. Guys (and I said it on the AH thread already) who think that just because you have pale skin and are wearing the colour black (even if it's not a gothic style outfit) that you are a goth/into heavy metal/a weirdo.

4. Guys who come up to you in a pub and say something along the lines of "Smile! It might never happen" or comment that you look very serious. In fact this annoys me no matter who says it. No one has a smile plastered on their face 24/7.

5. Cockiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

LadyJ wrote: »
    4. Guys who come up to you in a pub and say something along the lines of "Smile! It might never happen" or comment that you look very serious. In fact this annoys me no matter who says it. No one has a smile plastered on their face 24/7.

A good reply to this is to say 'It HAS already happened'. But be careful using it because on one occasion when I said this to someone, he was really sweet about it and said 'I hope everything is going to be ok'! So there was me back-pedalling saying 'Ah no it'll be grand, don't worry'. 'An inch tall' is the expression that comes to mind.

Uh, hate that! :o

that you are a goth/into heavy metal/a weirdo.

Hang on, they would say this as if it's a bad thing?

I don't get it. :)

Dragan wrote: »
    Hang on, they would say this as if it's a bad thing?

I don't get it. :)

Tbh, I always think goths look hot but I wouldn't consider myself to be one.

Usually the type of guys who say this want their women to wear fake tan. Happened to me again over the weekend. Some guy said I looked very white. I said "Yes, I'm Irish. If I wore darker makeup I'd look orange". Showed him my arms to prove the makeup matched the colour of my skin. He said "Well why don't you just try wearing orange makeup. It'd look better I'd say".

I mean honest to God, it just drives me up the wall! Why would I look good if my face was orange? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

was sexist pig not mentioned yet?

hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Biggest turn-offs in a guy for me are

1. Being tight with money
    2. Selfishness
    3. Moody/Bad tempered
    4. Lack of cop on
    5. Full of ****

:p

He said "Well why don't you just try wearing orange makeup. It'd look better I'd say".

Next time tell him if he changes his shirt and gets a decent hair cut he'd look a lot better.

It worries me that any man would think a lass wearing orange make up would look better than a lass without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Laying guilt trips.
    Clinginess.
    Ignorance.
    Sulkiness.
    Lazinezz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Pretty much in this order...
    Thick/Stupid (thinks an intellectual conversation revolves around sport)
    No sense of humour
    Stinginess/meanness
    D4 or psuedo D4 type (collars up, ralph lauren jumper, dubes etc)
    Bad dress sense (not a deal breaker - that can be worked on)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Vain men
    mean men
    Ladish men (meaning sexist)
    bad dressers
    under achievers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

1. Arrogance
    2. Sexist
    3. Materialistic
    4. Small minded
    5. Dumb but they think they are smart
    6. Those (female too) who chomp theyr food and chewing gum - grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

-less intelligent than me (because it's all relative...), i'd probably bore a genius and while i'm fond of some of the less-than-bright people in my life i could never date them

-rude/arrogant to taxi drivers/bar staff/wait staff/ppl in shops. This really annoys me!

-obsessed with their career, to the extent that work/life balance doesn't happen because they have no life

-not relaxed in bed, it's fun to try different things and if it's a disaster to laugh about it.

-unkind. This can sometimes be a horrible world, and being kind to everyone (not just those who you want something from) makes it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭whatsgoinon

arrogance
    bad hygiene
    eating with mouth open
    jealousy
    immaturity

cuckoo wrote: »

-obsessed with their career, to the extent that work/life balance doesn't happen because they have no life

These people rarely leave the office so they end up having affairs with their secretaries since they cant meet any other women in the office!! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

My boss is like this, in the office at 8 leaves at half 9 that night, dunno how he's married!! Must be very happy!:eek::eek::eek:

9 to half 5 for me, no more unless absolutely necessary (and well compensated!!:cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

(for m & f)

1. Arrogance/ vanity - haaaaaaaaaaate it
    2. Knowitallism
    3. Not being able to pay their own way (I don't mind digging you out once or twice but after that - why are you out if you can't afford it?)
    4. Bad hygiene
    5. Stupid/ takes no interest in the outside world. It's a big bloody planet out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

in no particular order:

- rudeness
    - stupidness
    - someone who thinks their opinion is more important than someone elses
    - stingy/scabby/mean
    - sexist (thinks women belong in the kitchen, etc.)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Vanity is mentioned in nearly every post here.
    I guess it's not vain to spend hundreds in Toni and Guy and plaster yourself in ridicolously expensive designer makeup and perfume, as well as even more expensive designer labels.

Just my 2 cent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jayteecork wrote: »
    I guess it's not vain to spend hundreds in Toni and Guy and plaster yourself in ridicolously expensive designer makeup and perfume, as well as even more expensive designer labels.

Just my 2 cent.
    Even if that has truth to it, women want a man to be with, not another woman who hogs the mirror. Unless they're gay and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

jayteecork wrote: »

NO it isnt.. :confused:Did you only read 2 posts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LUNA...

In no order.......

Vanity - I do like a man to take some pride in his appearance, but if he takes longer to get ready then I do...........big turn off.

Small mindedness, which goes hand in hand with ignorance

Meaness - although I wouldn't expect a man to pay my way, it's nice if they offer.

Know it all - if you think you know it all, you're missing out on a lot

A waist size smaller than mine :p -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

1. Bullshitting
    2. Bad Hygiene
    3. Laddism(obsessed with getting hammered etc)
    4. Arrogance
    5. Laziness

cuckoo wrote: »
    -less intelligent than me (because it's all relative...), i'd probably bore a genius and while i'm fond of some of the less-than-bright people in my life i could never date them

-rude/arrogant to taxi drivers/bar staff/wait staff/ppl in shops. This really annoys me!

-not relaxed in bed, it's fun to try different things and if it's a disaster to laugh about it.

-unkind. This can sometimes be a horrible world, and being kind to everyone (not just those who you want something from) makes it better.

By far one of the coolest answers i've seen in these types of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

JackieO wrote: »
    Biggest turn-offs in a guy for me are

1. Being tight with money
    2. Selfishness
    3. Moody/Bad tempered
    4. Lack of cop on
    5. Full of ****

:p

Pretty much sums it up for me too....especially since "being tight with money" is number one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

How about those who are overly critical and negative?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

1. Lads lads
    2. Bad hygiene
    3. Arrogance
    4. Skangers
    5. Guys who are a bit dim