Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few questions on my watercooling setup

Options
  • 12-03-2008 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

right, plugged it all in and fixed it all.

so far no leaks. but what ive noticed is im getting a huge amount of bubbles.... and its causing it to turn milky colour.

ive added 1/3 lt of distilled water.
    and a very small amount of uv anti freeze.
    also put in 1 drop of pt nuke.

any ideas on why this is happening?

im gonna leave it on for the night while im at work for a longer leak test and when i get home tomorrow from work ill bleed it out and re-do the mix.

any suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You did flush the rad out with water and vinegar yeah ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

flushed it twice with distilled water. didnt use vinegar. i read a review on xs about doing that, but didnt think it was necessary for a long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

are you using an ek reservoir? i've heard people throw this term around so don't ask me exactly what it is but its called vortex residue and apparently happens alot in tube reservoirs using a high pressure pump and makes it a pain in the ass to bleed the system.

If you have a vortex forming in the tube you draw air bubbles into the system and when they travel through the tubes they react with the metals and given the high pressure can form a foam or residue.

Are you getting a vortex or am i reading into this too much?:confused:

If this is the case you can get stuff to stop the vortex forming

errrrrr........

/dies.

aint got a clue dude. ill try find out. ill take a few pics of it. its like a white foamy stuff.
    was thinking its the pump running too fast and causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

yeah i was the same when i read the posts on xtremesystems regarding it, they all had the issue where the pump was causing it maybe if its adjustable lower the speed and see if it stops. I had something similar years ago on an asetek setup for a friend and it eventually went away but in saying that his tubes were coated with some awful crap when i took it apart

OK asked a guy who seems to know a bit about this and his question to you is are you hearing any gushing sounds?

• Advertisement

right, i drained it today.

and flushed clear water straight through for about an hour.

after that, i drained it again, and took it apart. dried everything using an air compressor.

re-assembled the loop and placed it on towels in the living room.

used a jug to mix the de-ionised water and uv anti freeze.
    didnt use as much anti freeze this time. stirred it for a while.

slowly filled the res with the mix. turned the pump on. let it start flowing through.
    finished filling it.
    once the loop was completly full, i drained a tiny bit out so there is about 2mm or air in the corner of the res.
    closed it up and let it sit.
    so far, ive got a 1 - 2mm layer of white bubbles, but the system is running clear.

:D happy days. perhaps it was just too much moving around, air getting in and too much anti freeze in the mix.

ill see how it is in the morning when i get home from work and if its ok after 24 hour leak test ill mount the lot inside the computer.

as for gushing sounds requiem1, when the loop is filling, there is a decent gushing sound for a min. but once the loop is full its silent and the only hum is from the pump and the cpu block.

here's a pic of what it was like.
    now, its not half as bad.

dscf0142hv5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Whats wrong with just deionised water ? You kids and your flashing lights and your drugs :p

Advertisement