Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommendation for broadband supplier

Options
  • 12-03-2008 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, new laptop has arrived and now want to organise broadband. Any recommendations for a reliable/best value supplier? Have heard that BT are v competitive. How does wireless access operate? Haven't had internet access for more than 2 yrs at home. at that point had dial-up with Eircom but know things have progressed hugely since then. Feel like a total ignoramus and wd appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can have a look here and compare internet wireless and dsl providers. If your looking to have wireless access at home thats fairly straight forward to setup, but you will need a wireless router (box that connects you to the net). Most routers the engineers supply when you buy broadband are wireless enabled.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That site doesn't seem to list UTV Clicksilver?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Would it be worth mentioning? I think they only list the more mainstream providers and not so much resellers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you can get smart then go for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Thanks for that. Is this wireless router connected to the phone line, sorry if I'm asking the obvious!

• Advertisement

Apoligies for the last post, should have checked your link first. It's excellent. One (hopefully) final question. Do you recommend 1 or 2 MB for dowloading. I need to access my office remotely, we will all do a bit of surfing but my kids want to download music and films. Don't want to pay for something I may not use fully. Are ISP suppliers versatile to you upgrading within the period of a contract? Thanks

Am now comparing Perlico, BT and Eircom. all working out at about 50 - 55 per month. The difference is that Perlico have a much higher line rental charge - €40 as against €25 for the other two. I know Perlico advertise very heavily but don't actually know anyone using them, want to get the best value rather than the cheapest (wd be nice if they were one and the same thing!)

Advertisement