Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad Start

• 12-03-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I don't think this requires spoilers(if I'm wrong, correct me).

Wrestlezone:
    Shelton Benjamin d. Chris Harris
    Chris Harris made his WWE debut in a dark match against Benjamin. Benjamin hit his code breaker type maneuver to score the pinfall victory. There were some TNA chants in the crowd.

That is not a good start for Harris.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

How? He's already working dark matches. That's good for him. Look at the likes of Punk and Cabana who had to spend a long time in developmental before working shows

And people recognised him! That's good

Yeah i don't see how thats a bad thing to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's almost certain that his first televised match will be a squash over Colin Delaney if he stays on ECW. ECW sure are building a talented roster if you exclude Viscera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I thought you were gonna be talking about the fact that he has been reported as being a little bit on the plump side of things.

I cant see how debuting in a dark match is a bad thing. Especially considering that most new talent is sent to developmental first. Sure most ex TNA stars that sign with WWE never make it to a television taping at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

One thing's for sure, if he's gonna succeed in at any level, he'll need a new gimmick.
    The "Wildcat" was sh$t boring, about as wild as, well, the Wildman Marc Mero.

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's almost certain that his first televised match will be a squash over Colin Delaney if he stays on ECW. ECW sure are building a talented roster if you exclude Viscera

V is talented, especially for a dude his size. i wish theyd make him wear the big leather jacket and short mohawk-ish hair like back in 00. he looked much angrier and demonic back then.

but his tattoos make him look more 'thug' like i suppose.:(

V is talented, especially for a dude his size. i wish theyd make him wear the big leather jacket and short mohawk-ish hair like back in 00. he looked much angrier and demonic back then.

but his tattoos make him look more 'thug' like i suppose.:(

I agree, Big V is not the worst big man WWE have ever had, he's not even the worst they have at the moment (Yes Khali, i'm talking to you) and is talented in what he does, i.e. his ring presence, dominating most opponents for the majority of the match, providing an alternative to a technical or high flying guy.
    I've never agreed with common notion that all superheavy weights are cr*p and boring to watch. Granted, the majority are no Kurt Angles, but some, like Bam Bam and Vader in his early days, were bloody good workers and entertaining to watch. Even with the likes of Earthquake, Bundy or Mark Henry, you get what's on the tin and i think variety is the spice of life when it comes to a wrestling roster, and the lockeroom should be made up of different size guys.
    As long as a guy is'nt a risk to his opponent, which i think V has proven by now that he's not, he's been employed by WWE now on and off for aprox. 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I have no problem with V but for his ring attire if i want tits in my face i'll recruit a willing female or go to a strip club haha

As for Harris atleast he got a reaction and lost to a decent opponent although getting TNA chants wont help his cause, he will ofcourse have to pay the penalty for being former TNA by jobbing out to a few people first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I can't see Harris ever coming to much in WWE. He has nothing that sets him apart from anyone else, he's just bland. And he is awful on the mic too. He will just be another semi decent worker that never gets pushed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

EdK wrote: »

As for Harris atleast he got a reaction and lost to a decent opponent although getting TNA chants wont help his cause, he will ofcourse have to pay the penalty for being former TNA by jobbing out to a few people first

I would have thought that the WWE might have taken a different approach and pushed Harris above his ability to try and encourage more people to make the jump. I think the WWE kind of need the Dudleys back to revitalise the tag division and lend some creedence to ECW. Also, alot of smarks would love Christian back even though he wouldn't be a massive draw. These guys are less likely to come over if every new guy gets buried

I would have thought that the WWE might have taken a different approach and pushed Harris above his ability to try and encourage more people to make the jump. I think the WWE kind of need the Dudleys back to revitalise the tag division and lend some creedence to ECW. Also, alot of smarks would love Christian back even though he wouldn't be a massive draw. These guys are less likely to come over if every new guy gets buried

I don't think WWE are begging for these guys to come. If they really wanted them I'm sure they could just buy out their contracts

As for the tag division being revitalised, if WWE wanted to do that they would, but they clearly don't. They don't need the Dudleys to do it

Fozzy wrote: »
    I don't think WWE are begging for these guys to come. If they really wanted them I'm sure they could just buy out their contracts
    Well they did sign Killings and Harris in pretty short succesion so I think they may be stepping it up a little. Harris is certainly not the best they could have gotten so if they thought that Harris was good enough for them there are at least a dozen more who fit the bill
    Fozzy wrote: »
    As for the tag division being revitalised, if WWE wanted to do that they would, but they clearly don't. They don't need the Dudleys to do it

They have been trying to do it for ages now by throwing in main eventers into the mix to try and give the new teams some legs. Rated RKO, Cena and Micheals, D-X, The Hardyz even MVP and Hardy are clear examples of them trying to relaunch the division and build up the proper teams(Cade and Murdoch et all) but it hasn't worked. I think Miz and Morrisson are great champs but there is nobody for them to fight. Jimmy Wang Yang and Shannon Moore are hardly contenders, Deuce and Domino have gotten stale and Jesse and Festus are too green. They have tried to keep some interest going with the dirt sheet and having them face off against each other.

On Raw they've thrown the best guy they have on the mic with one of the more charismatic guys on the roster being accompanied by a centrefold and still no interest. They don't have the teams to revitalise the divisions ATM and even if they did, the Dudleys would be worth it alone for restoring some of the old guard to ECW

Well they did sign Killings and Harris in pretty short succesion so I think they may be stepping it up a little. Harris is certainly not the best they could have gotten so if they thought that Harris was good enough for them there are at least a dozen more who fit the bill

A dozen as big as Harris? I think it was another case of size coming before talent

I don't think that they have really tried with the tag division. With Rated RKO and Cena & Michaels, the belts were just a tool in their feuds. Those guys did nothing to get other teams over. When Cena & Michaels lost the belts, it wasn't after a feud with a tag team, it was two battle royals. The Hardys helped Cade & Murdoch a bit, but WWE really gave up on Cade & Murdoch once the Hardys split. I just don't think WWE are concerned a whole lot with it

Have to agree with Fozzy here, Bubs. None of the teams you mentioned were put together with the intention of strengthening the tag scene, or succeeded in my view.
    The Hardys were put back together purely for the novelty value because Jeff had been gone for a few years, it was always going to be a short lived thing and I don't think even Matt or Jeff the intention of rebooting the tag scene by doing it, they’re weren’t even technically on the same shows if you remember.

The DX reunion was a combination of WWE wanting to sell some merchandise, relive some nostalgia and get back some of the Attitude glory days and whether this was intentional or not, give the fans a little break from HHH and HBK’s constantly being in main event title matches and let two very powerful figures have a bit of fun at while at work.

And in the case of Cena/HBK and Matt/MVP, they were put together purely to fuel their respective single feuds.

No, the tag scene has been cr*p for a long time. I actually feel sorry for Cade and Murdoch, who are a great team, remind me of the New Age Outlaws in a lot of ways, and are the only modern team that would have been a great addition to WWE’s tag scene when it was thriving.

Getting back to Harris, he’s also 35, not exactly a great white hope for WWE. I think they’ve picked him up purely to get some mid card mileage out of him because of the reasonable reputation he brings with him form TNA, but I wouldn’t expect much form him at all.
    To be honest, James Storm was always the key man in AMW, and would have a much better chance of some success in WWE, at least he has a bit of charisma – “Sorry about your damn luck!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

To be fair Harris was always the more pushed and recognised member of AMW but then after the break up Storm burst through on his own, They had Harris breaking the glass ceiling gimmick but he wasnt really doing it and James Storm was

I like Storm and Harris and they were a great tag team, and before anybody mentions the Storm gut i think it suits the character lol

Advertisement