Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandalism in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 12-03-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I only hope I am wrong ! It seems to me that the OPW are allowing car parking on the grass verge on both sides of the main road opposite the Fossets Circus site.
    If this is so it's an act of official vandalism by the very people we depend on to look after our park. Why can thy not open up the Old lamp roads which would provide ample tarmaced parking places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mmmmm looks like we need to take photos ... Might do that tomorrow if I remember to cycle through the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

The OPW don't give a crap what people say, they allowed cars to be park all over the place when they had gigs run over christmas in the park, its a money making adventure for them.The park is like a massive car park at the moment, with cars parked all over the place. I noticed they start building a new car parks beside polo grounds, is this the start off it, with so many cars on the road 10 years down would'nt be surprised if half of the park is not covered in tarmac for carparking. Morning rant over, roll on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

digitalage wrote: »
    I noticed they start building a new car parks beside polo grounds, is this the start off it,
    Actually the new car parks are the OPW's method of giving the main road cycle tracks back to cyclists.
    Basically parking on the the hard shoulder between Polo Grounds and Parkgate Street will be eliminated. Cars will be directs to the new car parks.

More info in the thread I posted last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

I'm not talking about the heavely congested area around the Zoo Daymorebrew. as Digit say it the stretch oposite the Gigs and Motor Car racing circuit between Mountjoy and Phoenix Monument . I believe the park is for everyones enjoyment whether it cycling , jogging , motoring or strolling, however we must respect the environment and allowing one interest to damage anothers enjoyment by vandalising the area is not right in my view. Again as I said in my first thread I hope I have read the signs wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I cycled through the park yesterday and I did see the signs ' Circus Parking Here' I wanted to take photos... but I went to look for the deers and I forgot all about it in the end.

... will they just park on the grass of are they also going to park on the cycle lane? Anyway I think we better keep away from the main road with kids running around when the circus is live ... why bother trying to avoid them .. it's just impossible, and if we don't get hurt ... they they will ... and if they do, we'll probably be the ones paying the price.

Enjoy your weekend and mind your head if you cycle in the WW!!!

• Advertisement

Sean02 wrote: »
    I only hope I am wrong ! It seems to me that the OPW are allowing car parking on the grass verge on both sides of the main road opposite the Fossets Circus site.
    I think you are wrong.
    I saw the signs today. The signs are on the grass verge but I would expect people to park on the hard shoulder, as is common already. There is no benefit to parking on the grass (they're hardly going to have double parking) and, because of the number of signs, it would not be an efficient use of the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Harkev

I would find it very hard to believe the OPW would allow parking on the grass...

I organised the cycle race there last Sunday morning (Irish Intervarsities in case anyone was wondering :)) and one of the requirements before we got permission was to sign a document saying that no parking on grass verges would take place.
    The OPW don't give a crap what people say, they allowed cars to be park all over the place when they had gigs run over christmas in the park, its a money making adventure for them.

Have to argue with that, the OPW love opening up the park to events. We paid absolutely no money and got huge support for our event. They closed roads, offered to repair any potholes we wanted and coned off sections of road to make sure nobody parked along the circuit.

I absolutly agree with daymbrew and harkley. but the fosett signs clearly indicate the grass verge on both sides of the road. I noticed on friday that there was no damage to the grass and I believe the circus was on last week, so perhaps all well that ends well. However in the first place the Old Lamp Roads is more appropiate parking area in my view.

I absolutly agree with daymbrew and harkley. but the fosett signs clearly indicate the grass verge on both sides of the road.
    Well, it's kinda hard to stick wooden poles into the tarmac of the hard shoulder :p
    Think about normal sign posts outside the Phoenix Park - they are on the footpath, not on the road where you are supposed to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

daymobrew wrote: »
    Think about normal sign posts outside the Phoenix Park - they are on the footpath, not on the road where you are supposed to park.

Someone needs to tell all those cars and vans that park on the footpath ;)

• Advertisement

Moderators seem to miss the point, their patronising and snied remarks are unnecessary. O'k the damage was minimal thanks to the dryer weather last week. My point was missed, why encourage parking on the grass when there are perfectly good unused tarmac roads just around the corner.

Moderators seem to miss the point, their patronising and snied remarks are unnecessary. O'k the damage was minimal thanks to the dryer weather last week. My point was missed, why encourage parking on the grass when there are perfectly good unused tarmac roads just around the corner.
    I didn't miss the point at all. I saw the signs and I do not think that they encouraged parking on the grass.

Did you see parking on the grass verge?
    Did you ring OPW to voice your concerns?

Advertisement