Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point of the Legal Forum?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

You can't ask for or give advice. Do the latter and the draconian moderators ban you from the forum with no right of appeal. All entries are followed by a mod post of 'consult a solicitor for legal advice'. Are they all on commission form solicitors or something?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Legal Discussion Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Legal Discussion Forum.

That is the point. You CAN'T discuss anything without moderaqtors throwing their dummies about! It is pointless and useless.

Discussion is not the same as advice. If you can't see the distinction, I doubt you're in any position to be offering advice anyway.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055254072
    andrewh5 wrote:
    Forums like this give people a chance to sound things out if they can't afford a solicitor and do not qualify for legal aid.
    Except thats not the point of the forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054891512
    Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice forum. Any opinion offered, in any guise, is to be taken as opinion, and nothing else. That means that if somebody offers a particular course of action, this is not to be thought of as legal advice.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893130
    Basically, hypotheticals are ok, real-life cases are not.

Discussion is not the same as advice. If you can't see the distinction, I doubt you're in any position to be offering advice anyway.

How the hell do you know? Do you miraculously know what my profession is?

Your remark is insulting & potentially libellous.

Your post has been reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

wasnt this already discussed today???
    and the same answers given?
    you cant advise someone as it puts them at risk and possibly boards,its a privately run/owned forum and they aren't going to take the fall for foolish mistakes.

done?

• Advertisement

nerin wrote: »
    wasnt this already discussed today???
    and the same answers given?
    you cant advise someone as it puts them at risk and possibly boards,its a privately run/owned forum and they aren't going to take the fall for foolish mistakes.

done?

No. Sometimes questions need to be asked and answered. If all that is discussed ix existing laws then there is always going to be a point where questions will be asked and answers cannot be given without mod intervention. That is wholly pointless.

No, but I imagine any capable lawyer is able to distinguish between discussion, opinion and advice.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    No. Sometimes questions need to be asked and answered. If all that is discussed ix existing laws then there is always going to be a point where questions will be asked and answers cannot be given without mod intervention. That is wholly pointless.
    if you dont like it,theres nothing that can really be done. youre welcome to start your own legal discussion site and take the risk yourself.

a) you proved his point with that retort
    and b) what was the point, people have tried to be straight with you and you are not seeing they are the rules.
    now please stop being aggressive and illogical, because cats shall arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Well enlighten us then ... what is your profession?

Actually dont bother ... if your making a remark like that its obviously nothing in the legal profession.

Maybe its something to do with animal care? Cats perhaps ...

Gandalf23 wrote: »

Maybe its something to do with animal care? Cats perhaps ...
    that almost sounded like an intro sir ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

As someone who works/is studying in the legal area, I love lurking on the Legal Discussion forum esp. the FE1 thread. I find it fairly easy to make a distinction between advise and discussion. I would never in a million years offer anyone on the internet legal advice, but then again why would anyone in a million years look for legal advice on the internet?! boards.ie is a privatly owned website and as such is covering itself on a legal basis by not leaving themselves open to a suit because someone received bad legal advice on a forum. What exactly is hard to comprehend about that?

Looking at the forum right now there is plent of discussion, e.g. the Equality thread, who can fire a judge, phone unlocking etc. I remember back a few weeks during the big court cases of late there was loads of discussion. Someone wandering on saying "I did this ____, am I in trouble" or "what happens now?" etc are just not topics suitable for the forum. It's not called the legal advice forum.

Free Legal Advice -> FLAC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

LOL. Now we KNOW that you are not a lawyer, nor indeed, anyone with a basic knowledge of the law.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    As someone who works/is studying in the legal area, I love lurking on the Legal Discussion forum esp. the FE1 thread. I find it fairly easy to make a distinction between advise and discussion. I would never in a million years offer anyone on the internet legal advice, but then again why would anyone in a million years look for legal advice on the internet?! boards.ie is a privatly owned website and as such is covering itself on a legal basis by not leaving themselves open to a suit because someone received bad legal advice on a forum. What exactly is hard to comprehend about that?

Looking at the forum right now there is plent of discussion, e.g. the Equality thread, who can fire a judge, phone unlocking etc. I remember back a few weeks during the big court cases of late there was loads of discussion. Someone wandering on saying "I did this ____, am I in trouble" or "what happens now?" etc are just not topics suitable for the forum. It's not called the legal advice forum.

Free Legal Advice -> FLAC
    thats a damned good post BanzaiBk. Feedback is awwrite! i havent had to post a cat in ages
    LOL. Now we KNOW that you are not a lawyer, nor indeed, anyone with a basic knowledge of the law.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

You guys have lost me:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Blk150 wrote: »

YOU must be a lawyer then!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can't ask for or give advice. Do the latter and the draconian moderators ban you from the forum with no right of appeal.
    You have the right to appeal. In fact, you did appeal. Your appeal was rejected. Just like in real court cases, to "appeal" doesn't mean to have your "sentence" overturned.

Just because the appeal didn't go the way you wanted it, doesn't mean you were denied the chance to appeal.
    Are they all on commission form solicitors or something?
    Quite the opposite in fact. When someone's life goes wrong because of advice they received on the forum, solicitors will cash in on cleaning up the mess.
    You wouldn't believe the atrocious opinions that people sometimes put forward as legal fact. People often get it wrong, but we've seen stuff along the lines of, "It's legal to poison and cook your neighbour's cat if it spends more than 15 minutes on your property". This is why advice on real problems is banned.

Blk150 wrote: »
    OP broke rules of forum 2 (or was it 3?) times.
    thinks that the rules are stupid and is pi$$ed off about being banned.
    and is now bitching about it
    seamus wrote: »
    You wouldn't believe the atrocious opinions that people sometimes put forward as legal fact. People often get it wrong, but we've seen stuff along the lines of, "It's legal to poison and cook your neighbour's cat if it spends more than 15 minutes on your property". This is why advice on real problems is banned.
    i dunno, he might. OP you really have no comeback on this, rules where there, you were warned and you ignored it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The fact that I don't know your profession is a good reason not to follow your advice. It you post up your name and address I'd be more inclined to follow your advice given that I could then sue you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If all that is discussed ix existing laws then there is always going to be a point where questions will be asked and answers cannot be given without mod intervention. That is wholly pointless.
    Well if you're right then I suggest you just wait for that point to be reached, then the forum will be closed and the problem solved.

And I'm sure you are right, it's not like new laws are ever created, old laws struck out, new precedents set, an infinite number of real life situations against which laws must be interpreted and applied etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

nerin wrote: »
    that almost sounded like an intro sir ;)

Why thank you sir ...

/ doffs hat to nerin ... /

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

You can't ask for or give advice. Do the latter and the draconian moderators ban you from the forum with no right of appeal. All entries are followed by a mod post of 'consult a solicitor for legal advice'. Are they all on commission form solicitors or something?
    That is the point. You CAN'T discuss anything without moderaqtors throwing their dummies about! It is pointless and useless.

For some reason, I haven't been able to reply on the (more or less) duplicate thread on Help Desk.

Anyway, If you bothered to read the Charter ,Andrew, you wouldn't have to post either here or on the Help Desk forum. In fact, I would lay money on you still not having read it because if you did, I would credit you with the intelligence to have understood it & I wouldn't be typing this. The fact that you don't understand why the rules are what they are is completely irrelevant.

The only person "throwing their dummies about" is you. You got an warning & infraction for breaching the charter earlier today and then went and did it again, earning a ban for yourself, as was promised. I can't speak for my fellow Mods but I certainly won't be inclined to lift the ban anytime soon.

I'm not going to bother going through your various points and assertions because its clear to me you are just having a rant. Move on. Oh, and read the Charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Maximilian wrote: »
    For some reason, I haven't been able to reply on the (more or less) duplicate thread on Help Desk.
    Only Admins and Smods can reply there afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Preusse wrote: »
    Only Admins and Smods can reply there afaik.

Correct. It protects idiots making idiotic statements...from other idiots...mmm.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Why thank you sir ...

/ doffs hat to nerin ... /
    doffs hat back

fitting that it would be my thousandth post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

lol :D
    You can bring a libel case? Has the reputation of your username being ruined?
    Maybe you have an important job Andrew but you're no lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maximilian wrote:
    Anyway, If you bothered to read the Charter ,Andrew, you wouldn't have to post either here or on the Help Desk forum. The fact that you don't understand why the rules are what they are is completely irrelevant.
    Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice forum. Any opinion offered, in any guise, is to be taken as opinion, and nothing else. That means that if somebody offers a particular course of action, this is not to be thought of as legal advice. In the event that a poster says he is qualified to give legal advice, neither Boards.ie Ltd., nor any of its affiliates, accept any liability for any loss or damage arising therefrom. In other words, members can assume that nobody who posts in this forum is qualified to give legal advice. BY POSTING IN OR READING FROM THIS FORUM, YOU AGREE TO THIS DISCLAIMER. Any legal advice sought or given will result in an immediate week long ban. Second offences result in an indefinite ban.

Its come up enough times where the mods could at least spend a paragraph explaining the implications as to why this is the case, ie "This is to protect Boards.ie from legal action, bla bla bla."

However, this is a disclaimer. Boards is disavowing that anything posted in the forum is legal advice, and has about as much grounding in reality as the Cuckoos Nest. If you are already washing your hands of the liability of asking for legal advice:
    In the event that a poster says he is qualified to give legal advice, neither Boards.ie Ltd., nor any of its affiliates, accept any liability for any loss or damage arising therefrom. In other words, members can assume that nobody who posts in this forum is qualified to give legal advice.

Then I really dont see the point of banning the asking of direct questions about the law (which I have been banned for in the past)

Bear with me here lads: if I ask for example, for a general opinion on the current standing of a law to sort an issue, I understand that it will not always be so and that what Im being told could be a complete fabrication. However say I want to, for instance, drink when I'm 17. If I get 12 posters telling me its not possible, fine, I probably wont pursue the matter very far. However if I get some posters saying they thought you could (opinion) then it would merit looking up in the Irish Statute Book. Its just a time saver when theres thousands of pages of Irish law to sift through (much of it legal jargon) to ask people who may have read through it already, or not.

You dont see such disclaimers say, in the tech thread. Someone tells you its ok to overclock your graphics card, then your system blows up - whos going to sue boards.ie? whos going to sue the poster? Nobody: youre a tool and you fried your own graphics card.

I can see why its important to have it in Legal and Personal Issues when it may be a case of commiting a serious crime or life and death (you do not give someone suicidal advice/tips on how to kill themselves for instance); but when asking a general question on the state of the law and adding context to it for communications sake, I really dont see the problem. Im not a legal professional and would have assumed placing context on a question would help to convey understanding and resolve feedback more accurately.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

In fairness, if you blow up your graphics card, that’s far removed from going to jail for example, because some eejit tells you "nah mate, you don't actually need to show up at Court".

If someone gets the wrong legal advice here, acts on it to their determent, there could be serious consequences. Be that financial or their very liberty. They might then seek recourse against the person who gave the advice and those that permitted it to be given. That would include Boards.ie Ltd - the standard practice in litigation is to throw the net as far wide as you can. Sue everyone (optionally from orbit, it being the only way to be sure). That in a nutshell, is the reason for the rule in question. Putting disclaimers in a sticky is not a magic formula for escaping liability. It helps sure but its by no means bullet proof.

There are instances where threads which are really borderline cases are left open or perhaps because a mod judges the "risk" negligible. I've been a solicitor for almost as long as I've been a member here, so I use my own judgment as to what threads to close and which to leave. Its not a hard decision to make when someone is blatantly trying to get free advice here and you know they should see a solicitor for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maximilian wrote: »
    In fairness, if you blow up your graphics card, that’s far removed from going to jail for example, because some eejit tells you "nah mate, you don't actually need to show up at Court".

If someone gets the wrong legal advice here, acts on it to their determent, there could be serious consequences. Be that financial or their very liberty. They might then seek recourse against the person who gave the advice and those that permitted it to be given. That would include Boards.ie Ltd - the standard practice in litigation is to throw the net as far wide as you can. Sue everyone (optionally from orbit, it being the only way to be sure). That in a nutshell, is the reason for the rule in question. Putting disclaimers in a sticky is not a magic formula for escaping liability. It helps sure but its by no means bullet proof.

There are instances where threads which are really borderline cases are left open or perhaps because a mod judges the "risk" negligible. I've been a solicitor for almost as long as I've been a member here, so I use my own judgment as to what threads to close and which to leave. Its not a hard decision to make when someone is blatantly trying to get free advice here and you know they should see a solicitor for their own good.

Wow... humor. unexpected :) Here I thought legal types had no souls.

okay I'll ask about my case here on the sly so; do I really seem the type to sue boards.ie ? I'm a foreign national college student studying computer games development.... cmoooooonnnnnnn......

though I was frantic and very snappy at the time so I see why ya did it.

I think adding that to the charter (perhaps in a nice looking ) would answer a lot of the confusion and frustration a lot of posters get from the LD forum.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Wow... humor. unexpected :) Here I thought legal types had no souls

Mine has about two years left.
    okay I'll ask about my case here on the sly so; do I really seem the type to sue boards.ie ? I'm a foreign national college student studying computer games development.... cmoooooonnnnnnn......

You have to operate as though anyone is the type. You might judge a person correctly 99 times in a hundred but unfortunately, it only takes that 100th person to take legal action and to quote Aliens again, its game over man.

I think adding that to the charter (perhaps in a nice looking ) would answer a lot of the confusion and frustration a lot of posters get from the LD forum6

I think you are right here in fairness & that's something to look at. Some large font attempts at idiot proofing might be no harm.

Advertisement