Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Tuner Card

• 12-03-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi All - Does anyone have any recommendations for a linux compatible usb TV tuner card? I want to burn some programs from my Sky+ box to DVD using my laptop!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Google is your friend on this one. I can recommend a PCI one but youll have to search for MYTHTV USB TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Thanks Jimmy - Have you tried linking this card to a sky digital box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

fguinan wrote: »
    Hi All - Does anyone have any recommendations for a linux compatible usb TV tuner card? I want to burn some programs from my Sky+ box to DVD using my laptop!

You probably don't even need one, all you will need is a scart to SPDIF ( it looks like a yellow, PS2 keyboard port) Your Sky box might even have SPDIF out or simple AV cables. If your laptop doesn't have SPDIF-in then you might need an adapter such as http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=CTX-002&cats=125&catid=614%2C125

The tuner allows you to tune in and watch tv stations on your PC, you can get a satellite tuner card for about €120 if you want to record directly only your PC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

KAGY wrote: »
    ...all you will need is a scart to SPDIF...

I think perhaps you mean S-Video (SVHS)? SPDIF is a digital audio interface standard. Laptops rarely come with S-Video in in my experience. If you have a media centre PC it may well come with a TV card with S-Video in alright.

I use Hauppauge PVR 350 (PCI card) under Windows XP and it works very well, although the included software looks like it's from the 1980s - why no-one seems to have an up-to-date capture card with good quality i don't know. The PVR 350 actually encodes it using a hardware chip on the card, so it prevents lost frames etc that a software card may be suceptible to (perhaps less of an issue these days with dual core processors). As far as I know it is compatable with Linux, although you may have to work at it to get it right. In fact you can stream from it in Linux - something you can't do from XP! Hauppauge have a large range, some which are USB and probably also work with Linux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

I think perhaps you mean S-Video (SVHS)? SPDIF is a digital audio interface standard.
    opps, that was exactly what I meant. :o
    In fact you can stream from it in Linux - something you can't do from XP! Hauppauge have a large range, some which are USB and probably also work with Linux.
    I use GBPVR and AFAIK you can stream from that, though I never tried to. And very good point re: compatibility with Linux, I got a cheap card (cyberlink theater 550?) and that didn't work with Linux, which was a pity cause MythTV looked cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I use Hauppauge PVR 350 (PCI card) under Windows XP and it works very well, although the included software looks like it's from the 1980s - why no-one seems to have an up-to-date capture card with good quality i don't know.

I have same card and I lol'd when I installed the software.

There are at least two Hauppauge USB cards mentioned here: Linky

Most software uses it's wiki for hardware compat. info.

Advertisement