Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No NCT & no DOE.. I Can't even sit a test?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 7:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Firstly i generally drive a 00 vw, but i have an old 1990 205 Dsl 1.8 xrad car van which i use for transporting the dogs and general private stuff(small van = verry handy), i have it privately insured and privately taxed, but because is a van the Nct test centers dont want to know about it and they wont test it because it doesnt have back window or seats or something like that...
    The DOE test centers wont test it because its not commercially insured and it has not been weighed in at a weigh bridge .....
    The insurance company insured it without any fuss.. and now i am driving a car with no test as the neither the NCT or the DOE will even allow me inside the door to sit a test..
    Surely i dont need commercial insurance as i not using it for any sort of business??? I have thought that the only reasonable thing to do would be to bring it to a NCT pre-test center and try and get some documentation from them that i had the car checked and (fixed if applicable) and the car seems to be in a roadworthy condition...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

As far as I know these "car vans" are in a legal loophole. You are not driving a commercial vehicle, so it is not subject to the DOE. But your vehicle is not classed as a car either, so its not subject to the NCT. I'm sure someone will be along soon to clear it up, but I'm fairly sure you do not need an NCT or DOE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Turbodreams

i drove a fiesta car van for a few years and like you could not nct or doe it (not that i would have passed anyway!!) a welcome loophole for myself. the only problem being trying to explain it at a checkpoint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Strange this, because my cousin had a '90 Micra car-van and it had to do a DOE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I'd say get a letter from NCT and DOE refusing you a test and keep them with you in the car. Keep the carvan in good nick and the Gardai should not have a problem. Some backbenchers would be delighted btw to have this loophole pointed out to them so they can get 15 minutes of airtime. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nuttzyy

Have you tried a different Doe centre?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Nuttzyy wrote: »
    Have you tried a different Doe centre?
    why worry, its not your problem. I am a DOE or VTN tester (as we are now called) and you must produce your log book before the test, for a commercial tax is based on your weight and the test also has the weight of the van taken into account for brake readings.
    On a private registered van like yours it will be done on cc not weight so we cannot test it. If you are really bothered about it get a garage report and carry it with you.
    Slightly off topic but i know a guy driving a van aroundon english plates for over 2 years. he has cleared it and been given his number plates but wont be given his log book til it is taxed. As it is a commercial he cannot tax it til it is tested. He should not be able to test it til he has a log book (as stated in our rules) so blantantly refuses to put the other plates on it. We normally accept the form from the revenue in leu of the log book for the vehicles first test. Now the law have tried and failed to lift the van, and the customs couldnt care less as it is cleared!:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Strange this, because my cousin had a '90 Micra car-van and it had to do a DOE.
    are you sure that it is privatly taxed..,
    anyway i love loop holes Ha ha ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Indeed it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

anyway i love loop holes Ha ha ha ha ha

UK reg. BMW M3 Van comes to mind:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ard about this a couple a months ago. Was talking to them in D.O.E. and they admitted it was a loophole.

Should be sorted in fairness.

• Advertisement

veyron van.... clear it for 5o euro and away ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

slideways wrote: »
    veyron van.... clear it for 5o euro and away ya go!

You can afford a Veyron with or without VRT? Fair play to you :D

javaboy wrote: »
    You can afford a Veyron with or without VRT? Fair play to you :D
    oops should have said viva van, always get them mixed up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmmm dont they give you a stock weight in the manuel and my mates drive susuki swifts/ford deista vans because there too light/small engine for the doe and are not allowed do the nct.... Good loop-hole imo

Advertisement