Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duel currency pricing

Options
  • 12-03-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the legal position on duel currency pricing in Irish stores?

I was in a very well know book store today and looking at buying a copy of a UK motoring magazine.

The UK price on the back of the mag was £2.99 which works out at approx €3.90 at todays exchange rates.

So let's give the store a little bit of a mark up to cover transport costs etc and they sell the mag at €4.50......no, let give them the chance of a decent margin and sell it €5.00.

Sound fair enough?

Not for this store..........€10.80 was the price they were charging!!

Wow! Now that's greed for you.

Can stores just charge whatever euro price takes their fancy if the product already has a sterling price on it?

and if you are wondering...no I didn't pay the €10.80 ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

I buy a well known motorbike magazine in a well known dublin bookstore everyweek.The mag is priced at 3.90 sterling (About 5 euro).They charge 8.35 euro for the magazine.It makes me sick to pay it TBH but it's a great mag:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its actually up to the Irish Distributer on what price the shops charge and not the shop if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Of course the most important issues are the VAT differences and then the presumption that the UK economic factors and the Irish economic factors are the same, i.e. staff wages, premises rent etc.., They are not so you can't just use the current exchange rate to and compare the differences, you've to be a bit more intelligent than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Of course the most important issues are the VAT differences and then the presumption that the UK economic factors and the Irish economic factors are the same, i.e. staff wages, premises rent etc.., They are not so you can't just use the current exchange rate to and compare the differences, you've to be a bit more intelligent than that.

I agree, but do you really think over six euro mark up per mag is justified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Recommended Retail Prices have no legal basis in this country. They can print whatever price they want on the back of the magazine and it wont stop the shop from charging what they like. The free market economy at work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A price tag is only an entreat to sale and not a guarenteed price.

Technically, a shop can change its mind between you picking up an item and bringing it to the desk, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Its actually up to the Irish Distributer on what price the shops charge and not the shop if I remember rightly.

If that was the case then magazines would cost the same in all shops, like newspapers. If there is no euro price they can charge whatever they want.

I agree, but do you really think over six euro mark up per mag is justified?
    They only have to "justify" it to themselves. If enough people buy them they will continue to charge it, once there profits go down due to lack of buyers the price drops, simple supply/demand.

I am not sure about the law in regard to "flashed prices" e.g. when you see a bar/ crisps etc that has 60cent written on it, I am not sure if they can charge more, or charge more for a newspaper etc. I know a guy who worked in centra and they specficially bought no items with flashed prices if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah there's always a bit of a mark-up, but that's ridiculous. I work in Dunnes, standard prices would be £17/€25 and £95/€150 which is about right, but things that are cheap, like socks, the euro is almost double the sterling.

So many people want to pay the sterling price- yeah, dual pricing..but no dual floats..

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Yeah there's always a bit of a mark-up, but that's ridiculous. I work in Dunnes, standard prices would be £17/€25 and £95/€150 which is about right, but things that are cheap, like socks, the euro is almost double the sterling.

So many people want to pay the sterling price- yeah, dual pricing..but no dual floats..

Yeah,
    Went into the shop in Navan looking for a jumper. One had the following prices:

14 stg/20 EUR
    another had
    15 stg/25 EUR

Hell of an exchange rate there... 1 stg = 5 EUR

Advertisement