Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht - Colaiste Chamuis

Options
  • 12-03-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Thougth there was a gaeltacht thread here but it seems to have vanished. Any one been to Colaiste Chamuis? I'm thinking of going there, or maybe Colaiste na bhFiann.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 twixie

headn to irish college this summer too so also lookn for reports, any one out there?!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sabrina411

Your 1st year @ the gaeltacht...best craic ever!! You'll never forget it. Colaiste Chamuis is what i would call a very strict gaeltacht...im not just talking irish wise but just general rules and people who go there enjoy themselves but enjoy themselves more in other colaiste's...

My advice would be colaiste chiarain! I went there last summer and i am going again this summer!! I learnt loads of irish through very little effort (way more than my friends who went 2 chamuis!) and really enjoyed the whole experience. I am going back this year!!

However if u have not already booked ur place in a gaeltacht u will find it hard @ this point...and u are most likely only able 2 find places in cursa c's...

hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

don't go to a gaeltacht at all lol, go to elc like me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Colaiste na bhFiann.

definitly go there, it most certainly is already booked out, but CnaB colleges are brilliant, i went to one hating the language and came back with a love of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

Fad wrote: »
    definitly go there, it most certainly is already booked out, but CnaB colleges are brilliant, i went to one hating the language and came back with a love of it

No GO TO SPLEODAR!!!!!!! its the best! they were once part of CnaB but they split!! its kicks ass, very strict...but u will improve so much its so well organised nd continues all year!! It changed my life nd i had been to 4 other colleges b4 that! go to spleodar.com :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

aliqueenb wrote: »
    don't go to a gaeltacht at all lol, go to elc like me!:D

wats elc? early learning center????!!!???:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 H-esperanza

Hi i went to cholaiste chamuis last year after privously being in Cholaiste Columba. Cholaiste chamuis is brilliant for learning irish and making great friends. You are dreaming in irish within 2 days!! Other gealtachts are just like summer camps with a almost primary school like class in the morning and then some games. Chamuis has great fun, great standard of irish which is why your there remember and you make lifelong friends!!! Although i think you have left it a bit late if you are going to get a place in a GOOD irish college. Sorry but thats what happened to my friends last year and they hated their time in the gealtacht!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

No GO TO SPLEODAR!!!!!!! its the best! they were once part of CnaB but they split!! its kicks ass, very strict...but u will improve so much its so well organised nd continues all year!! It changed my life nd i had been to 4 other colleges b4 that! go to spleodar.com :D

yes go to spleodar! i was a student and came back as a cinnire and its just deadly. june and july are all booked up but there's still spaces in august afaik. they're strict enough yeah but the cinniri are deadly and the teachers rock too, you'll learn bucketloads! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I spent four year in Camus and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

It is stricter than other Gaeltachts, but that's not even a factor when you're there. It's so much craic there. I've had some of the best times of my life there. and made a huge amount of really good friends.

You really do learn a load of Irish too. I'm in LC now, and I just had my Irish Orals last week, and the people in the class who went to Camus said they had no problem compared to others.

The attitude to Irish there is so great. for instance, a few of sneaked out of the houses on the last night, and met up in the middle of the night. But when we got there, we all still spoke Irish. And it's only now looking back on it, I realise how cool that is.

So yeah, deffo go to Camus. And if you cant get into Camus, try Ros a Mhil (it's a different centre in the same college Colaiste Chamuis), but if you can't get in there, don't bother with Tulach. Completely different story there.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

That you Smurf is it ;) ?

2 years in Camus and I swear, the day I heard I was first going (literally the day before due to a cancellation), I hated the idea, but by the end of the second year I couldnt believe I wouldnt be able to come back. You do hear a lot about the strictness of the different places, but in the end so long as you try the craic is undescribable. I made friends there that I still have now and the impact that it made on my life is crazy!
    Like the posters ahead of me said, places now will be few and far between, but there always is still a chance on the waiting list. Keep the hopes up.
    Is fiú agus is féidir!

BTW Diarmsquid, what IS the story with Tulach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 H-esperanza

Hey! I went to Tulach!!!! I loved tulach it was amazing!!!!! I just had my irish oral too and it turned out my examiner had been to ros a mil throughout his childhood so we just talked about that the entire time. I wouldn't have been able to talk in irish for 15 mins if it wasn't for cholaiste chamuis. He even turned of the tape annd we kept chatting for a further 10 mins. I love irish now and have such a respect for the language thanks to chamuis.

wats elc? early learning center????!!!???:cool:
    No haha lol its euro languages college
    www.elc.ie
    its great more expensive than gaeltacht though cos its not subsidised by the irish government like.

whats wrong with tulach?...just curious ha!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Are you planning to go this summer?? because I actually know that Chamuis is booke dout for this summer. Just last week I decided to go to the gaeltacht (yeah I knwo its late) I emailed pretty much every Irish college and I know Chamuis said they were booked since Novemeber. I know Colaiste na Bhian is almost definatly booked out- I tred getting in there last year in December and it was full!
    I got a place in Gaoth Dobhair... I know Colaiste connacht has places left, they're supposed ot be good.

I know Colaiste na Bhian is really strict- not just about irish, stuff like you can't phone home at all (just letters)

lurgan is the best, me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Try Colaiste Aodain in Galway! It only opened last year so it's not too well known so there's probably places left. I went last year and had an amazing time, goin back this year:D

I'm booked in on Colaiste Chamuis in Rossaveal Cursa C.
    Any1 else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'm booked in on Colaiste Chamuis in Rossaveal Cursa C.
    Any1 else going?

I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dixie08

yeah! im going on the second term of it and its my first time so whats it like?what term of Colaiste Chamuis are you going to if your going?

Cursa C is starting 20th July, ends 10th August. How are you getting there? I'm getting train Dublin-Galway & will get lift from Galway to the colaiste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dixie08

im in cursa B and i live in galway so im just getting a lift there! are there any teachers i should be aware of?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Diarmsquid wrote: »

It is stricter than other Gaeltachts, but that's not even a factor when you're there. It's so much craic there. I've had some of the best times of my life there. and made a huge amount of really good friends.

You really do learn a load of Irish too. I'm in LC now, and I just had my Irish Orals last week, and the people in the class who went to Camus said they had no problem compared to others.

The attitude to Irish there is so great. for instance, a few of sneaked out of the houses on the last night, and met up in the middle of the night. But when we got there, we all still spoke Irish. And it's only now looking back on it, I realise how cool that is.

So yeah, deffo go to Camus. And if you cant get into Camus, try Ros a Mhil (it's a different centre in the same college Colaiste Chamuis), but if you can't get in there, don't bother with Tulach. Completely different story there.
    Oh no you didn't.

Oh no you didn't.

Oh no you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 sheeez

cape clear in kerry...!
    its not strict,accomaditation is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

i went colaiste camuis last year in rosaveal in cursa c and it was **** i hated it....theres no organised actvities we didnt go to the beach once!!!!!!!!!and they didnt bring us anywhere!!!!its so strict aswell and all the older ******s who try to go for cinnara ti and pc take it so seriously that it ruins it 4 everybody!!!!!!!!if u goin to cursa c look out for two faggity twins!!!!!!!!i went to colaiste chiaran the year before that and that was unreal!we went to aran galway and like the beach everyday......o ya in rosaveal the make sure you dont get put in to houses with your freinds!!!!!!!!!fukers!!!!!!

where ever you go really your bound 2 have fun once u take part and talk 2 people!!:D

gant0 wrote: »
    i went colaiste camuis last year in rosaveal in cursa c and it was **** i hated it....theres no organised actvities we didnt go to the beach once!!!!!!!!!and they didnt bring us anywhere!!!!its so strict aswell and all the older ******s who try to go for cinnara ti and pc take it so seriously that it ruins it 4 everybody!!!!!!!!if u goin to cursa c look out for two faggity twins!!!!!!!!i went to colaiste chiaran the year before that and that was unreal!we went to aran galway and like the beach everyday......o ya in rosaveal the make sure you dont get put in to houses with your freinds!!!!!!!!!fukers!!!!!!
    Those guys are in my class. ****load of people from my school go to cursa C in Tulach and RAM. The two PC's in RAM this year are from my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Anyone ever gone with spleodar? I've gone twice with them because I got a scholarship so it slashed the price! I thought they were overly strict but there were always activities to do. went to the beach, had a disco with a proper DJ, good craic altogether but a little too strict on the Irish speaking thing. Obviously the aim is to immerse yourself in the language but with Spleodar its one sentence in english and its bye bye gaeltacht! No phones, iPods were frowned upon and opportunities for interaction with the opposite sex were much too scarce :D I'd love to go to the Kerry gaeltacht for a change, even though i'm living in galway! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Fad wrote: »

I also gained a love for the language there, but the whole thing was a bit sappy. I actually cringe thinking back at some of the stuff they had us doing.

Anyone ever gone with spleodar? I've gone twice with them because I got a scholarship so it slashed the price! I thought they were overly strict but there were always activities to do. went to the beach, had a disco with a proper DJ, good craic altogether but a little too strict on the Irish speaking thing. Obviously the aim is to immerse yourself in the language but with Spleodar its one sentence in english and its bye bye gaeltacht! No phones, iPods were frowned upon and opportunities for interaction with the opposite sex were much too scarce :D I'd love to go to the Kerry gaeltacht for a change, even though i'm living in galway! :pac:
    The Irish teacher I had this year is a devout Spleodarian. Moderately attractive too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Larki

Diarmsquid wrote: »

How is Tulach a different story? I've being going to Tulach for the last 3 years, this summer being my 4th year and it's the other centres that act like mad-men. Tulach is the best and the rest were made for retards

Tulach go Deo!

• Advertisement

i just got a letter from my irish college..im only able 2bring 15KG:eek:
    my runners weigh 2kg:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement