Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht - Colaiste Chamuis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LeCapitaine

sheeez wrote: »
    i just got a letter from my irish college..im only able 2bring 15KG:eek:
    my runners weigh 2kg:eek:
    Are you black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NKJCPM

i just got a letter from my irish college..im only able 2bring 15KG:eek:
    my runners weigh 2kg:eek:

Air force ones I'm guessing? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

go to colaiste na bhFiann

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Anyone ever gone with spleodar? I've gone twice with them because I got a scholarship so it slashed the price! I thought they were overly strict but there were always activities to do. went to the beach, had a disco with a proper DJ, good craic altogether but a little too strict on the Irish speaking thing. Obviously the aim is to immerse yourself in the language but with Spleodar its one sentence in english and its bye bye gaeltacht! No phones, iPods were frowned upon and opportunities for interaction with the opposite sex were much too scarce :D I'd love to go to the Kerry gaeltacht for a change, even though i'm living in galway! :pac:

i was a cinnire in spleodar! and you have no idea how much leeway is given to people with regards english. they won't tolerate it being spoken openly, i mean in fairness you're there to learn and honest to god, if you start off speaking english you're only making it more difficult for yourself cos then you're still thinking in english when you have to speak irish. you'll only be thrown out if you're actually a total d*ckhead and not even tryin to make an effort. seriously, i know! and there's LOADSA time with the opposite sex! the menfolk are everywhere! and there's even more womenfolk than men! phones are obviously frowned upon, too much english right there! cinniri weren't even supposed to use them in front of daltai...
    [/end rant]

god sorry that was a lotta waffle but i love spleodar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

fonpokno wrote: »
    i was a cinnire in spleodar! and you have no idea how much leeway is given to people with regards english. they won't tolerate it being spoken openly, i mean in fairness you're there to learn and honest to god, if you start off speaking english you're only making it more difficult for yourself cos then you're still thinking in english when you have to speak irish. you'll only be thrown out if you're actually a total d*ckhead and not even tryin to make an effort. seriously, i know! and there's LOADSA time with the opposite sex! the menfolk are everywhere! and there's even more womenfolk than men! phones are obviously frowned upon, too much english right there! cinniri weren't even supposed to use them in front of daltai...
    [/end rant]

god sorry that was a lotta waffle but i love spleodar!

OK maybe I made "Spleodar" too much of a generalisation, I was in rosmuc two years in a row :o I think in Leitir meallain and Leitir Moir there is better craic for older people ie. junior certs to leaving certs. I found that both years I was stuck with kids as young as sixth class! I plan on going to leitir moir next year and cinnire after that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Uisce in mayo is good craic. Pretty strict on Irish and relationships though:rolleyes:

You do learn a fair bit of Irish and the activities are savage, sailing, surfing and other watersports every day. The food is pretty **** though, you can stay in the college or the houses. College is good fun and so are the houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sony0050

Does anyone no if colaiste lurgan in galway is ne gud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Couple of mates of mine went there, they didn't particularly like it, but that's probably just them.

So many going on Sunday? Tulach, RAM or Camus? Tulach-bound meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Off tomorrow on 12o'clock train to Galway, then lift to Rossaveal. Here's hopin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 irule

went last year to ros a mhil!!!:cool:
    you learn a lot of irish there! i was glad i went there during the irish jc this year!!
    defo the best gaeltacht:D
    going back next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Arent they strict there, like take away your phone and stuff :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 s4g

went colaiste chiarian cursa b 07 !
    was in cc2!
    it is the best ic but if your over fourth year woldnt reccomend it as many 2nd and 3rd years go!
    still meet up with all de close friends from der!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Gaeilge-go-deo

In Camus do theybring you on a tour to the Aran Islands? I was in Colaiste Chonnacht last year it was good enough but not strict at all.. We had too much freedom!

Nil aon turas go dti na hoileain. Is trua é, agus iad chomh congarach don colaiste is ata siad, ach sin é an shaol... Bionn turas beag go dti an Spideal lá amhain agus de gnáth téann gach ionad ar thuras go hionad eile, mar shampla, i mbliana, tháining Ros A Mhil go Tulach agus chuaigh muid (An Tulach) go dti Camus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

is mhaith is cuimheamh liom Colaiste Camuis.

Chuaigh me an 1980 -1982

Nil aon doubt gur scoil is fearr e .

An bhfuil as clue ag aon daoine , an will blog no rud eigin ar an web?

And I apologise if my Irish is not up to scratch....its been a while.

I had the best times at camus, Went there from 1980 to 1982.

It had a big influence on me and there is no doubt that it is the best school in Galway.

Are there ary blogs or groups online

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

helllooo. ive bin to both a donegal and a galway gealtacht(colaiste cholumba) and galway is by far superior but im thinking of goin to chamuis or ros a mhil. are they as strict as everyone reckons they are? cholumba wasnt strict at all although people did get sent home(burning carpets,drink in bags etc.). i want to learn a decent amount of irish, enough for me to have a regular conversation but i want to have a good laugh as well.
    oh yeah which course has the oldest teenagers on it. ill be seventeen when im there and i dont want to be goin around with 1st and 2nd years!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

Thinking about heading to Colaiste ó Direáin, on Inish Mór in the Aran islands. It looks alright, just wondering if anybody knows anything about it. I'm in 5th year and I was wondering if there are many in 4th/5th year, or is it just younger students and then the cinnerí?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Dante

Both of those PCs happen to be from my school. Wasn't one of them your cinnire too if you were in Tí Bharry? He's in my class.

You shouldn't say mean things about people on the internet.

Nah he wasnt my cinnaire. I had nothing really against <snip> but I seriously hated the 2 pcs as did most. Shame cause the other time I was there the 2 pcs were legends and made it much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Gaeilge-go-deo

Im going back to Coláiste Chonnacht this year.. I wish i wasnt bcoz its quite big and its very easy to get away speaking English.. The only reason Im going back is to see all the people again... :S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ilovemo

Im Booked into ros a mhil corsa c 2009 anyone going?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

Yeah i'm goin!!!! you from mayo??? I heard that the principle of the c course in ros a mhil is supposed to be a dickhead and that they called her "hitler":L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 iheartboosh

Colaiste Sheosaimh in Connemara! :D
    Went there last year and going again this year..was great!
    Woo cursa B soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Colaiste Sheosaimh in Connemara! :D
    Went there last year and going again this year..was great!
    Woo cursa B soon!
    Oh I went there 2 years ago! Great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 McPooHead

Thougth there was a gaeltacht thread here but it seems to have vanished. Any one been to Colaiste Chamuis? I'm thinking of going there, or maybe Colaiste na bhFiann.

i went to coláiste na bhfiann in killarney last year and it was excellent
    my oral irish improved so much
    the food was great
    the people were nice
    the dorms were good craic

10 out of 10 - im going again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 38 McPooHead

wats elc? early learning center????!!!???:cool:

LMAO ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

cape clear in kerry...!
    its not strict,accomaditation is lovely!
    Isn't Cape Clear in Cork?
    Go to Rinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

I want to rinne for 2 years. It was brilliant craic...not amazing for learning irish though :pac: And it's very cliquey....Lots of little groups. not everyone gets along.

I'm going to Coláiste Direáin on Inis mór in july...Anyone else going? know if it's any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I want to rinne for 2 years. It was brilliant craic...not amazing for learning irish though :pac: And it's very cliquey....Lots of little groups. not everyone gets along.

I'm going to Coláiste Direáin on Inis mór in july...Anyone else going? know if it's any good?
    D4s ->Everyone else? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Namlub wrote: »
    D4s ->Everyone else? :rolleyes:

:pac: Yeah basically haha. Lots of subgroups within those though :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement