Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht - Colaiste Chamuis

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Mialuvzfun!

is dat camus spleodar??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ilovemo

yeah ah no shes not so bad.ya im from mayo?
    where you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

is dat camus spleodar??

camus.jpg

Doubtful........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

sheeez wrote: »
    cape clear in kerry...!
    its not strict,accomaditation is lovely!

is cape clear not in west cork???????:pac:

-Els- wrote: »
    Are you planning to go this summer?? because I actually know that Chamuis is booke dout for this summer. Just last week I decided to go to the gaeltacht (yeah I knwo its late) I emailed pretty much every Irish college and I know Chamuis said they were booked since Novemeber. I know Colaiste na Bhian is almost definatly booked out- I tred getting in there last year in December and it was full!
    I got a place in Gaoth Dobhair... I know Colaiste connacht has places left, they're supposed ot be good.

I know Colaiste na Bhian is really strict- not just about irish, stuff like you can't phone home at all (just letters)

do u go on tours in colaiste na bhain?:rolleyes:and is it mostly people from 3rd and 4 th year or what??:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

if your looking for a good gaeltacht where you'll learn a lot of irish and have really good craic at the same time, go to coláiste colmcille in meenacladdy, donegal.

i went there in june, and had the most fun ive ever had in my life. the muinteoirí were strict enough, but they helped you along the way. and everyone was easy to get along with, and there were agood few day trips.
    they wont send you home while your there for speaking english, but if your caught more than a couple of times you will be punished. but if u make an effoert to speak irish and youre friendly, you'll have an amazing time, you'll learn loads (im talking thinking in irish months after you leave) and make a load of new friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Mialuvzfun!

A Really Good Gaeltacht is spleodar in galway! theres a few different ones in different parts off galway and its really fun but quite strict on english so ur irish improves imensly :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

do u go on tours in colaiste na bhain?:rolleyes:and is it mostly people from 3rd and 4 th year or what??:eek:

I've never actually been to colaiste na bhian, a good few of my friends have been going for years. I know you dont go on may tours though, they're kind of behind most other gaeltachts in that respect. I think you go to one day out where you meet up with all the other colaiste na bhian colleges. emmm, I'm not sure what the mix of people is, I think its younger people in the "b" courses, where they are less strict, then more 3rd/4th/5th years on the stricter courses, Im not sure though!!
    I would definitly think before going to Colaiste na bh. though, a lot of people love it, but it is very strict, so if its your first time and your really freaked out about not having the Irish go somewhere less strict...

is it true or what that colaiste chumais (tulach ,ram and camus ) arent having courses after this last one coursa c 2009????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tomegalwaybeur

elc is a frollege (or spollege or gollege. whatever tickles your fancy) only does french, spanish and german.. its not a gaeltacht.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

I went to colaiste ciaran this year. first time in a proper irish college and I loved the experience. It was not very strict which was kind of dissapointing because the activities etc were amazing. My house while attending the course was in ros a mhil and we had to walk a kilometre and a half to the crossroads were we got the bus everyday. We had to pass colaiste chamuis everday and the irish was unbelieveable there i didn't hear one word of english there except for when someone from my house was abusing the bus passengers getting of at the "aras an phobail" :p next summer i am between colaiste na bhfiann and colaiste chamuis. I really want to go to a strict one as far as language goes. I'm not to pushed about things like activities etc as long as there is something on most days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 westbourne

Hey guys,

I have been at Tulach in the past and cant for the life of me remember some of the great songs - especially the one with the clapping or chanting of the boys v. girls - I think it started;

"Feach amach an fuinneog ansin, ta se h-aon deag a chlog, OH MO DHIA"

If anyone could help me with lyrics or a recording I'd be delighted!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 westbourne

Hey guys,

I have been at Tulach in the past and cant for the life of me remember some of the great songs - especially the one with the clapping or chanting of the boys v. girls - I think it started;

"Feach amach an fuinneog ansin, ta se h-aon deag a chlog, OH MO DHIA"

If anyone could help me with lyrics or a recording I'd be delighted!

Thought you might since you've been there so often?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lauratully7

Diarmsquid wrote: »
    I spent four year in Camus and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

It is stricter than other Gaeltachts, but that's not even a factor when you're there. It's so much craic there. I've had some of the best times of my life there. and made a huge amount of really good friends.

You really do learn a load of Irish too. I'm in LC now, and I just had my Irish Orals last week, and the people in the class who went to Camus said they had no problem compared to others.

The attitude to Irish there is so great. for instance, a few of sneaked out of the houses on the last night, and met up in the middle of the night. But when we got there, we all still spoke Irish. And it's only now looking back on it, I realise how cool that is.

So yeah, deffo go to Camus. And if you cant get into Camus, try Ros a Mhil (it's a different centre in the same college Colaiste Chamuis), but if you can't get in there, don't bother with Tulach. Completely different story there.

Eh, I'm just back from my first course Tulach and it was the best three weeks I've ever had. It's the smallest centre but IMO that's a good thing because everyone knows everyone. I learned so much Irish; I'm actually struggling to talk English now. We had a few céilís with Camus and Ros a Mhíl during the cursa. Camus were a bit odd, friendly though, but Ros a Mhíl were the biggest dry****es I ever met in my life. They were no craic at all. My friend's brothers were hardcore Ros a Mhíl lovers (one of them was PC there and the other was Cinnire Tí twice) but one of them went to Tulach for his last year in the Coláiste because his friends were going there and he said that he much preferred Tulach. The atmosphere was just amazing and there wasn't a dry eye in the hall on the last night. Tulach go deo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't drag up old threads.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement