Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Question

• 12-03-2008 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Ladies,

How do those of you who are slim keep your weight steady and not put on those dreaded LBS?????

I have a stone to lose and am doing WW. Have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks but only 1lb last week even though I was so good... Any ideas?

Do you exercise, watch what you eat or are you just lucky?

SS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

im pretty lucky that i've inherited my mam's good genes, so im quite slim. i don't weight myself ever really, and although i eat alot of food, its all healthy stuff...most of the time. If my clothes feel a little tight, i'll try a bit harder to eat more healthy

mmm thats about it really, although i'll need to start doing some more exercise .....getting older is The Scourge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i usually try to eat relatively healthy meals when i'm at home, lots of protein and veg, but if i want chips, i'll have them, usually with something healthier like a veg omlette or something.

however, i dont deny myself things, if im out and i want pizza, i'll have it. i will admit i do tend to snack on crap biscuits, choc etc, and i've recently become totally addicted to these yummy scones, 2 of which have the same amount of calories as a big mac! :eek:

the thing is, i'm pretty active, i cycle or walk most places i'm going, and i do try and get to the gym (though this has been very irregular recently and subsequent expansion has occurred).

i'm lucky in that i tend to put weight on fairly evenly, i dont get a belly or anything, but i will notice a little tightness in my trousers around the thighs/hips/waist, and then i know its time to get back into action.

i find weights are definitely the best for keeping the body nice and tight, if i'm doing a decent weights workout three times a week, i can get away with eating pretty much all the pizza in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keimear

I try to do little things like get off a train stop early and walk, not put butter on my bread, drink water instead of diet coke (flavoured water helps) and make my own lunch instead of buying package sandwiches.
    I'm not a size 8 but I like my figure and I never feel deprived. Yoga is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I am a size 14 and go to the gym regularly... My problem is i have big boobs, big hips/arse and small waist. Smallest i have been is a 10 and i looked very sick!
    My biggest downfall is eating late at night and alcohol(min of 10 cocktails a wk, wine, spirits) yeah i know defeats the purpose.

I am better at giving advice than taking them but what i can say is some weeks are bad weeks and others are good ones... You have done well so far, keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

im in WW too, managed to get my stone there a 2 weeks ago and since then i've put on weight the last 2 weeks, i know my problem though, im at the stage where it gets even tougher and i need to get out there and exercise! stick with WW though its great and stay at the meetings they do help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Ladies,

How do those of you who are slim keep your weight steady and not put on those dreaded LBS?????

I have a stone to lose and am doing WW. Have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks but only 1lb last week even though I was so good... Any ideas?

Do you exercise, watch what you eat or are you just lucky?

SS

Sarah first of all congrats,

I gym it ,my weight is like a yoyo even though my weight is ok I still ave to watch because it can so easily creep up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

My weight fluctuates too and this week I feel particularily bloated but I cannot figure out why.... I have had 2 slices of bread in the last 4 days.... Anyway, joined a gym yesterday next to work so will go min 3 times per week... Have been lazy and driving to work cos its been so miserable but Im only fooling myself in the end :rolleyes:

I was so suprised and disappointed I had only lost 1 lb when I was so good that I am a bit demotivated... As well as that I have 2 nights out ahead... Have given up the drink for a while so thats not an issue... Its a struggle...

Believe me you are not alone in this, i bet nearly every female is struggling....

I lost a stone last year in Nov before going to the states, and i put on that stone over christmas, exams, family problems, alchohol...
    And now i am demotivated, but as we all know it's persistence.. I have packed my gym bag for tomorrow, would be heading there before work. It's all determination!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

Sarah you will get there missus :) takes time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wouldn't rely solely on the scales. Sometimes the lack of weight loss can simply be due to something like water retention, and it will drop off all of a sudden. Go by the measuring tape and how clothes fit you, don't bother with the scales.
    My problem is i have big boobs, big hips/arse and small waist
    MIN, how on earth is that a problem?! That is the perfect female shape! Small waist and big boobs - you sound like a bona fide hourglass, which is a very rare thing indeed. Most women are either apple-shaped or pear-shaped. You lucky thing! I've big boobs and slim legs/ass/hips but a terrible sticky-out stomach. I'd much prefer to be ample everywhere but with a small waist - that is far more in proportion and feminine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I'm not particularly slim, but with that said, my weight hasn't moved up or down in about a year.
    I went on a diet a while back, and dropped about 10lbs, and the weight has just stayed off. I have good weeks and bad weeks but I guess I am active enough for my weight to stay stable.

I would like to drop another 10lbs, but at the moment I just am not motivated enough to put in the work.

I'll probably get a bit more pro-active when the weather gets a bit nicer:)

Thanks Dudess,
    I have to put a safety pin in my shirts so the bottons don't pop especially as a 16 is too big, so is a 14(my arms are small) but a 12 is too small...
    And trousers, the waist are big and the hips fit! I have to buy jeans that have stretch... and dresses, well..they are nice but not easy to wear.....
    I am black and it's in the genes....

I have days when i love my figure and others when i hate it, especially when i can't wear skinny jeans, or shorts...
    That said i would be running total of 30 mins on the threadmill tomorrow, burning 12 cals per min and lifting weights as well...
    Saying no to alchohol-biggest problem

I think we should have a motivating thread to motivate each other.....
    this is very good, i am not alone! Weight loss does get depressing-sad!

MIN2511 wrote: »

You are absolutely not :) Ill be here equally miserable :)

I have to buy size 14 trousers so that they fit my waist but then they're all billowing around my ass and hips. I'd give anything for a flat stomach...

Dudess wrote: »
    I have to buy size 14 trousers so that they fit my waist but then they're all billowing around my ass and hips. I'd give anything for a flat stomach...

I think a little bit of a tummy is feminine... We have the bits in there that men will never have so there is bound to be a bulge :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

MIN2511 wrote: »

I think we should have a motivating thread to motivate each other.....

You can keep a Weight Loss / Get fit Diary in the Fitness Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

OP, it it can be done, I follow WW too, and it's perfectly normal to loose 5lbs at the start and then reduce down to one or two lbs a week, which is sustainable weightloss that will stay off. This woman is an inspiration, and has helped me to keep doing WW at home, cos I'm strapped for cash and don't need the accountability.

So far, since Jan, I'm 10lbs down, slow I know, but it's staying off for the first time ever.

Stick with it, and hell yeah, excercise helps too, and you get those yummy bonus points with it!

Good Luck!

eviledna wrote: »
    it's perfectly normal to loose 5lbs at the start and then reduce down to one or two lbs a week

Thats good to know... I was way under points for the entire week though... Anyway, its all good - I am 6lbs lighter than I was 2 weeks ago :)

I think a little bit of a tummy is feminine... We have the bits in there that men will never have so there is bound to be a bulge :D:D:D
    Yeah, I agree. I don't actually want a flat stomach, more of a gently rounded one. But sadly I have quite a bit more than "a little bit of a tummy"... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

I think its just down to healthy diet and exercise.

Ive seen me drop 2 dress sizes in a month or little over it doing 3x30 min workout pw. Needless to say I didn't stick at it and am now back where I started if not a little bigger:( But Ive just bought one of those cross country trainers to use at home so I wont have anymore excuses! My little ones communion is in may and I have to lose this!

Girls any tips much appreciated?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Thats good to know... I was way under points for the entire week though... Anyway, its all good - I am 6lbs lighter than I was 2 weeks ago :)

Now, I don't know a whole lot about WW, but from what my mother has said it's important to use as may of your points as possible, as long as you use them on good foods. No point in eating 21 points by scoffing a tube of pringles in order to make up the points. The thing is to make sure you eat all the points so you feel full and don't get tempted to snack or get demoralised.

Fair play to you lady. I must get my butt into gear, but I've never been any good at exercising. Anyone got any ideas for exercise that won't bore me silly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I don't know how much i weigh as i let my clothes tell me what's going on - if they're a bit tight i try to steer myself on a healthier course, ie move more and watch what i eat. Water retention is a killer for me - and the last thing i would need when PMTing all over the place would be to weigh myself! :D

Of course, the temptation is there to buy larger clothes and fool myself....

One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard was: "don't think of it as losing weight".

Loss can be a scary notion, and 'losing' sounds careless, like misplacing the house keys. I pysch myself up by telling myself "the gym makes me stronger"/"the vegetables make me healthier"/ "porridge is great fuel".

cuckoo wrote: »
    I don't know how much i weigh as i let my clothes tell me what's going on - if they're a bit tight i try to steer myself on a healthier course, ie move more and watch what i eat. Water retention is a killer for me - and the last thing i would need when PMTing all over the place would be to weigh myself! :D

Of course, the temptation is there to buy larger clothes and fool myself....

One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard was: "don't think of it as losing weight".

Loss can be a scary notion, and 'losing' sounds careless, like misplacing the house keys. I pysch myself up by telling myself "the gym makes me stronger"/"the vegetables make me healthier"/ "porridge is great fuel".

That's realy good advice. I am small - 5ft 1 and when I am at my ideal healthy weight I am a size 10.... As such I will be happy if I can get back into my size 10 clothes... I dont want to be a certain weight as my friend is a size 10 and she was about 2.5 stone lighter than me so I know its individual....

If you suffer from bloating etc I got great results from the evening primrose oil and its also good for mood swings.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Anyone got any ideas for exercise that won't bore me silly?

I love pilates and would do it every day if I could.... How about kickboxing or self defense - both are popular now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well if anyone is looking for a challenge for after easter;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055253951

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

I’m lucky thank god that I do seem to have a pretty good metabolism. I do love healthy food though, more for the way it makes me FEEL. If you think what good food, and a bit of exercise does for you aside from loosing weight then it’s something you’ll want to keep up.

The 80% / 20% rule is the best thing to follow really i.e. eating healthily as possible 5 days a week and then weekends relaxing and having what you want, within reason.

I think if you start obsessing about points / calories then you’ll torture yourself and think of nothing but food and deprivation. So diets are a no no. A bit of common sense - food education, eating foods as natural as possible, not cutting out food groups, moderation, is the best way to go. Treat yourself to a takeaway at the weekend ;)

For those feeling bloated it’s usually due to a lack of fibre – if you can’t face a bowl of All Bran sprinkle a handful on your normal cereal or a yoghurt etc…flat tummy in no time. Good luck girls..hope it goes well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I dont exercise atall, i gave up white bread for lent, and i have lost a bit of weight! so..i'll try and stay off it longer or seriously cut down after lent..

I do low carbing every now and then and I regularly go to the gym to maintain my nice shape but I have put on weight in the last 4 months I'm working on loosing it now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I used to be really thain, then at 23 I put on a goof bit of weight, dieted and lost it all. I stayed pretty steady then at a nice curvy size 12 for a good 4-5 years. When I hit 30 it all started going on again then I hurt my back and that was that. I started excercising 3-4 times a week and I ate very healthily but the weight kept going on. Now I'm 5'7" and starting weight was 14 1 (so size 16) now with ww down to 13 1.5 but that is very slowly since November. I am thankfully pretty hour glass shaped so didn't look all bad but I'm getting married in August and we want to start a family so I want to be healthy and feel attractive.
    Just keep going, it's better to come off slowly then it stays off :-) Hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

I'm 5ft9, size 8, toned, used to be size 10 but then 4 years ago I picked up soccer (5 times a week for 2 hrs). Regular workout and healthy food DO wonders. I also have a very good metabolism, I can eat crap and not gain any weight but I rather opt for the healthy stuff.

I don't eat bread, instead I have Finn Crisp Crispy Rhye Bread, I eat a lot of fruit, love dairy products, love rice and chicken. Drink a lot of water. Enjoy activities. For me it's not about weight but about keeping my body fit.

Advertisement