Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options
  • 12-03-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 Ford Fiesta Argento and am having some trouble selling it. The car only has 9800km (practically new) and I am offering it for 12,500EUR.

Does anybody have some suggestions on how I might be able to sell a car like this. I really need to sell it asap and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Barr

.. www.carzone.ie , its only €30 and it stays on till its sold

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You should get 12500 for it. Carzone is ok but you need to be at the lower end of the price range. Fortunately your price makes yours one of the cheaper ones so you should get rid pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,237 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another one is www.adverts.ie.

Show us your advertisement so that we can give you constructive pointers.

Nine out of ten times either the price is too much or the advert is poorly presented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanish Guitar

Thanks lads.

I had no idea what way to construct it so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The photos are crap but I only got to take them at the last minute. I'm going to get better ones on Friday during daylight.

Here it is for what it's worth.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Fiesta/Argento-2007/963403/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

definitely take better pictures than that and outside in the daylight

the wheels look strangely small for that car? have you put low profile tyres on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanish Guitar

No I haven't changed a thing, it might just be the pictures.

They're the 15" alloys that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why does the ad say "brand new car"?

9800km?

Also, doesn't seem like a bargain, you'll get a new Fiesta 1.25 Steel for 17k list price, or 15k after a discount,

08 demo models would be 14k straight, and would have 16" alloys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I don't know about the prices but those photos are killing any chance you have of selling. Underground car park is a bad idea. The pictures make the car look like a 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Better pictures for sure. I actually waited nearly the whole month of January for a decent opportunity to give my car a good wash and clean (impossible with the rain and cold weather, or I'm just made of sugar and can't face the rain!).
    Once there was good weather, I took lots of good photos (I'm a photographer) in good light, showing every side, interior etc.... and sold the car within a week, first guy who called bought it. I got the price I wanted and everyone was happy.

Pictures taken in the dark in an underground car park are a no, no for a start. Just gives me the impression that the seller is either hiding something (poor paint work from a repair job) or that he/she simply doesn't care that much.

I know there is not much good weather around these days but try and get the car cleaned inside and out for the photos, take the pictures of it with some nice scenery in the background on a bright day. Things like these can catch the attention of a potential buyer.

You might also have to review your price until you get some interest if you want to shift it quickly.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

No I haven't changed a thing, it might just be the pictures. They're the 15" alloys that came with it.

Looks like the flash is illuminating inside the wheel arches, making your wheels stand out and look small. Take the photos in good natural light and forget about the flash (for the exterior shots at least).

Unless you're taking a photo of a particular detail of the car, get the whole vehicle in the frame. Don't cut off the front of the back as happened in your second photo.

Also, take loads of pics. If you plan on putting 8 up on your ad, take 40 - from every angle you can think of. Then you'll be able to pick out the best 8 or whatever. Don't "make do". remember, you're trying to get over 12k for this venture, so it's not worth skimping for the sake of an hour's taking photos.

And as colm_mcm pointed out, don't say "Brand new car" when it's clearly not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. get loads and loads of pics - in good light as mentioned and not in a car park - you're not Des Cullen!
    2. mention the warranty left on the car
    3. if possible mention the "genuine need for a quick sale"
    4. mention any tax left
    5. give the car a good clean before taking the pics - inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The tyres look very small on the car, looks a bit strange, try taking a pic from a lower angle to eliminate the excess view under the wheel arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Hey all, rather than opening a new thread I thought I'd post this in here.
    Could I get some views on this:

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=186372&r=s.php%3Fm%3D72%26amp%3Bo%3D612%26amp%3Bh%3D2%26amp%3Bg%3D0%26z%3D-8

Cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dK1NG wrote: »

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=186372&r=s.php%3Fm%3D72%26amp%3Bo%3D612%26amp%3Bh%3D2%26amp%3Bg%3D0%26z%3D-8

Cheers
    Firstly the pics are shíte. Many other adverts will have top quality pics so stop using your phone and get out the camera (if you don't have a digital camera, most photo shops will put film pics onto CD).
    The car does look fairly clean so manipulate that through the pics.
    I nearly couldn't be arsed reading the comments when I see that the first one is "Electric rear heated window;" but for this exercise, I'll presume that it is carsireland's fault.
    Lastly, I don't recall the last time I looked at carsireland. Stick it on carzone.ie, adverts.ie, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cheers
    Use a camera that give you sharper detail if you have/can borrow one. That looks like a mobile phone?
    More photos of dash/stereo and the mileage is always good.
    Immaculate means that there is no single scratch on it. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cheers

Tiptronic stereo controls? Do you mean radio controls on steering? Sounds odd as 'tiptronic stereo controls'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

kbannon wrote: »
    I nearly couldn't be arsed reading the comments when I see that the first one is "Electric rear heated window;"

ROFL!

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

The camera used is actually great quality, but when uploading hte pics seem to lose out in quality....

Anyhow, I took the advice and put it up on carzone on Monday so fingers crossed. Any further feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks again.:)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Clio/car/976024/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Cheers

Is there something special about your Clio, or why is it the dearest 2003 Clio on the site?

I could get a 2002 Clio from a Dealer on the same site for less than half what you're looking for.

EDIT: You're 3 grand dearer than 2003 models on Carzone too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

The camera used is actually great quality, but when uploading hte pics seem to lose out in quality....

Anyhow, I took the advice and put it up on carzone on Monday so fingers crossed. Any further feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Clio/car/976024/

Price is the issue there. According to the Revenue VRT calculator which is fairly accurate, your car is worth about €5k.

The prices on carzone vary from just below 6k to 9k. When this car was put up, there were three private sales going for more, which are no longer on the site. According to the vrt on ros.ie, the value of a 1.2, 03 clio is 6.5k.

Tbh, I havent an iota about cars. THis was a great machine for getting me from A to B and that was all I used it for. I'm off to Canada soon hence the sale. A mate of mine told me to put it up for €8450. Obviously thats too high a price?! Any suggestions for getting a quick sale?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Prices on Carzone are often wildly optimistic.

I did a quick check on Revenue.ie and came up with this...

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 20 March 2008 TIME: 11:54

STATISTICAL CODE: 41188367
    MAKE: RENAULT
    MODEL: CLIO 1.2 (From Apr. 2001)
    VERSION: 2 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 22500 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JUNE 2003
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €5273
    RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €1186

Where does your €6500 figure come from? :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

www.carfinder.ie
    and www.autotrader.ie - €25 for 6 weeks on the web

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.

Prices on Carzone are often wildly optimistic.

I did a quick check on Revenue.ie and came up with this...
    Where does your €6500 figure come from? :confused:

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): MARCH 2003
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €6453
    RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €1451

Maybe I'm going wrong somewhere, but this is what I got.:o

So guys, any ideas:
    I'm off to Canada soon hence the sale. A mate of mine told me to put it up for €8450. Obviously thats too high a price?! Any suggestions for getting a quick sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Could really really do with some help here!!
    I'm supposed to be going travelling in June so need to sell the car asap(yesterday!)

I have it up on carzone, cbg, adverts.ie, carlist.ie, buyandsell.ie, gumtree.ie, in work, in other ppls work, etc ,etc

I've checked around and its one of the cheapest of its class(if not the cheapest)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4-ZETEC/965879/

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Phil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Drop the price by about 4k and I'd say it'll sell.

I didn't realise they still did drum brakes at the back! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

I think its a bargain at what it is and can't drop it anymore, i've already dropped it a lot.

What are drum brakes?

JHMEG wrote: »
    I didn't realise they still did drum brakes at the back! :eek:

Slightly off topic but unfortunately you are correct, the brakes are definately not one of the Focus's strong points. They are nowhere near as effective as the brakes in my last car.

• Advertisement

philidub wrote: »
    I think its a bargain at what it is and can't drop it anymore, i've already dropped it a lot.

What are drum brakes?

Unfortunately it is a very bad time to be selling a car, the second hand market is depressed, nothing is selling for decent money. Between the uncertainty/confusion of the new VRT system and the influx of second hand imports people are simply not buying second hand cars here. Dealers are also full of second hand cars.

Hate to be a doom and gloom merchant but that is the way it is out there at the moment. Not good if you are under pressure to sell.

Advertisement