Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fanwa

I've been desperately trying to sell my Mini Cooper since february to no avail, I know it's a bad time to sell a car but I know it's a gorgeous car that could sell if put in the right place. Is there such thing as a forecourt that dislays cars and takes a commition in case of a sale? Tried all the free car advertising and I can't afford more publication fees. If someone could help me I would be sooo grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Price it correctly in carzone and it will sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

These cars are generally strong sellers , most girls I know love them . As mentioned above it needs to be priced correctly

Thanks for that. I've already took 2000 Euros of the asking price and comparing to the same model on websites it's priced very fairly. I think I just picked the wrong time, with all these talks about the Recession....
    My advertising funds have run out and I can just rely on free advertising companies, thanks though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

It a tough time to be selling alright. I feel your pain.

Anyway if your going the free advertising route have your tried adverts.ie, I cant recall seeing any mini up there lately so I assuming you dont have it up.

Its worth a shot anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You say "priced very fairly", i take it that means it's not the cheapest of the bunch?
    Almost everyone one of those cars you're looking at on carzone is in the same boat. If you're desperate you'll have to undercut them all, or at least most, of the similarly spec'd models. It's a pain alright but it just wont sell otherwise.

Just posted my ad on advert.ie, check it out and tell me if it seems ok. Thanks for your replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Fanwa i'm trying to sell my car too now and its a disaster of sorts. At first i only got calls from people who said their budget was half of what i was asking or people who just didn't show up or uk advertisers. I had to discount the car to the lowest price i could take and thus undercutting other sellers. Since then i've had a good bit of interest with 5 coming to see it this week, the downside is everyone expects to haggle on car prices even though i've told them all its my rock bottom price. The only thing you can do is work out would you prefer to lower your price or bide your time? Good luck!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Fanwa wrote: »
    Just posted my ad on advert.ie, check it out and tell me if it seems ok. Thanks for your replies!

seems like a nice car but seriously overpiced in current market. If you need to sell you need to knock 3-4k more off before you will get a call about it imo. There are 30 or so on carzone for the same price or less.

Pics and details are very poor also..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

copacetic wrote: »
    seems like a nice car but seriously overpiced in current market. If you need to sell you need to knock 3-4k more off before you will get a call about it imo. .

+1

the o/h bought a 2003 coper, in mint condition, up north for STG£6,500. Its slightly higher mileage, but it has a FBMWSH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Personally I think 15,500 is a crazy price to be asking for a 2003 car. As somebody already mentioned your doing yourself no favours with two poor images and a very very poor description.

The fact that it has tinted windows might narrow down your buyer type.

Birds like to be seen driving mini coopers!!

Good luck with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Fanwa wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I've already took 2000 Euros of the asking price and comparing to the same model on websites it's priced very fairly. I think I just picked the wrong time, with all these talks about the Recession....
    My advertising funds have run out and I can just rely on free advertising companies, thanks though ;)

No offence Fanwa but a new Mini Cooper starts at €23k, yours is 5 years old and you're asking for €13k. If you think you'll get that in a private sale, you're dreaming. It's time to get real if you need to sell.
    I've said it before on this thread and I'll say it again, your competition for a private sale at this price bracket is a UK import. People who pay €10k+ when buying a car without a warranty are looking for rock bottom prices and the best value to be had is in personal imports from the UK. A quick look at the autotrader says that a similar car can be picked up in the UK for about £5,500, convert to euro and add in the travelling expenses and you're talking €7,500 to land it in ireland. Add in the VRT at a miserly 16% and you're talking €9,600.
    Allowing for the nuissance cost of travelling, we'll call it an even €10k to import and clear a similar car. That's your competition. This is not what you wanted to hear and you may well have paid through the nose for the car but it simply isn't worth €13k now and it never will be again. Price yours at €9,995 and it should sell for pretty close to that. Any higher and you'll still have the car in 6 months time at which time you'll be lucky to sell it for €8,500k.

Edit... Sweet jebus, just realised the 2003 Mini advertised at €13k on Adverts isn't yours, yours is on the next page for €15,500. No amount of advice on how to advertise or where to advertise can help you to sell that car for anything like that price. For that money you could have a 2006 Mini from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I have to agree, you need to know where market is and price accordingly. I sold a car in June via Carzone, it went in on Thursday and was gone by Monday. It was sold for €24,500, so proves there are all budgets out there. I had been planning on selling the car for a few months and was watching the prices. I did notice same cars over and over again each month way overpriced. I pitched mine to grab attention, plus teh fact it was loaded with extras (UK Car). Plus I had full service hsitory.

You need to either keep the car or price it correctly.

Here is OMSP for your that Mini, and as most of us know the OMSP is a good 10% over valued.

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €11784

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Sweet jebus, just realised the 2003 Mini advertised at €13k on Adverts isn't yours, yours is on the next page for €15,500. No amount of advice on how to advertise or where to advertise can help you to sell that car for anything like that price. For that money you could have a 2006 Mini from the UK.

Reminds me of the a guy who bought a BMW 320d in last few weeks. Dealer told him he should insure it for 46k, he got a bargain at 42k...ye 42k for 2 year 320d saloon...nuts. Some people just don't know real value of cars.

Maybe Mini seller will be lucky and find one of these buyers :rolleyes:

This is tha ad right?
    Cooper

I'd go out with a proper camera, take a pile of *Quality* pics, and make sure the car is clean. Also, write up a full detailed ad, including all details, not just a one liner.
    And knock about 4000 off that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my ad is in my sig....anyone let me know in the trade am I asking too much or is it priced ok?

I've pitched it 2nd lowest of what is on carzone for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

My car has been on carzone for over a month now, and i'm the cheapest Hyundai coupe in Dublin... yet i'm getting zero interest...

My reason for selling is that i'm now living abroad, but i'm wondering am i now priced so low that people think there must be something wrong with the car?

All opinions would be welcomed*!

Thanks

*yes i know some people think it's a girls car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    my ad is in my sig....anyone let me know in the trade am I asking too much or is it priced ok?

IMHO yes. I'm an Alfa nut and though it's a nice GT you got there I would not part with 30k for that GT. Given the tax bands and how depressed the market is these days between the VRT change and the recession I'd be pitching it around the 27k mark. Though FWIW the dealers "Car Sales Guide" has the book value for trade in for €29,850 so go figure.

Didn't actually see your car on carzone but your competition is this. this car. It's half the mileage from a dealer for only €500 more (which I'm sure could be bargained off anyways)

So theres essentially two GTs that have to sell on carzone before your one. Simple solution drop your price. Best of luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Love the beading shot of the badge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Is that black mini Photo taken in Joe Duffy's, I can see the Sanias Next door against the railings???

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Maybe take a few more pics, show the rear of the car etc. I always think it makes thing a lot more transparent when you can see the car from every angle and it shows you've got nothing to hide.
    Just my €0.02.
    Best of luck with the sale!

Magic Pips wrote: »
    My car has been on carzone for over a month now, and i'm the cheapest Hyundai coupe in Dublin... yet i'm getting zero interest...

My reason for selling is that i'm now living abroad, but i'm wondering am i now priced so low that people think there must be something wrong with the car?

All opinions would be welcomed*!

Thanks

*yes i know some people think it's a girls car.

Do you have a link to the car?

miju wrote: »
    IMHO yes. I'm an Alfa nut and though it's a nice GT you got there I would not part with 30k for that GT. Given the tax bands and how depressed the market is these days between the VRT change and the recession I'd be pitching it around the 27k mark. Though FWIW the dealers "Car Sales Guide" has the book value for trade in for €29,850 so go figure.

Didn't actually see your car on carzone but your competition is this. this car. It's half the mileage from a dealer for only €500 more (which I'm sure could be bargained off anyways)

So theres essentially two GTs that have to sell on carzone before your one. Simple solution drop your price. Best of luck with the sale.

Mine is not on carzone yet...its only gone up a day or 2 so wanted to see if I'd get any interest from the free ads first.
    My car has 30,000km so its not much more than the one in carzone. Maybe its in as 30,000miles but adverts is temporarily down so I can't check.

Do you know if a dealer has ever taken a car back without the car owner buying another car from them? I suppose the only time they would do this is if they knew they had a guaranteed buyer for the car from them..

Maybe take a few more pics, show the rear of the car etc. I always think it makes thing a lot more transparent when you can see the car from every angle and it shows you've got nothing to hide.
    Just my €0.02.
    Best of luck with the sale!

I have a few more pics of the outside of the car....will make a note and change a few later...thanks

Vegeta wrote: »
    Love the beading shot of the badge :D

makes a good background for my desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

What do people think of my ad, i think i have priced the car very well, any tips on improving the ad.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=75452&cat=fav
    http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=2497915

I also have it in Carsireland and cbg.ie. Is Carzone worth the 40 quid they charge these days?

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

xabi wrote: »
    What do people think of my ad, i think i have priced the car very well, any tips on improving the ad.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=75452&cat=fav
    http://www.cbg.ie/car_detail.aspx?ID=2497915

I also have it in Carsireland and cbg.ie. Is Carzone worth the 40 quid they charge these days?

X.

Put up loads more pics, the fact you have no interior pics makes people think its dirty inside etc etc

Also, this is going to sound a bit silly but I hate the idea of a towbar on a BMW coupe. It would put me off looking at a horrible towbar stickign out of the back when i'm viewing it.

Your priced very reasonably though, its a lot of car at that money

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In Ireland generally BMWs with anything bigger than 2.0 litre and 4 cylinders are slow to shift no matter how cheap they are priced. Just look at the volume of 316i/318i on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Hammertime wrote: »

Also, this is going to sound a bit silly but I hate the idea of a towbar on a BMW coupe. It would put me off looking at a horrible towbar stickign out of the back when i'm viewing it.

Its detachable, isnt noticable when not attached.

X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I know it's really difficult to sell a car right now, but I have had my car up for sale for about the last 3 months. Didn't get a single call interested in it. It's a 406 coupe here's the link on carzone,

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/406/200844190694484/advert

I don't think I'm being unresonable with the price and have no problem lowering it but I just think that even if I knocked around a grand off the price I still don't think anybody would ring me about it. Any advise on what to do would be appreciated? Also, I think it's quite the specific car to be buying, as in when I bought it I knew I wanted a 406 coupe or nothing as oppose to somebody buying an Avensis, wants a family saloon, if that makes sense?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

well I'd take out that comment about all it's miles being done in Dublin City as it just spells disaster for the clutch.
    Mention the tax, if nearly out, put some onto it.

Then bring the price to 4500 and expect to get 4.

Advertisement