Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

ClioV6 wrote: »
    well I'd take out that comment about all it's miles being done in Dublin City as it just spells disaster for the clutch.
    Mention the tax, if nearly out, put some onto it.

Then bring the price to 4500 and expect to get 4.
    I thought people like that a car did city miles rather than country miles? I'd have no problem lowering the price, but lowering it to 4500 I don't expect any change. But you just reminded me, it got a new clutch last year, must put that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

na, people prefer cars that do a mix. if its just city/town driving then there's more chance of kerbed alloys, bumps, scrapes and worn clutch. take it out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

So now you know why you had to get a new clutch :pac:

I think for me personally the fact shes a 2.0 petrol would be a concern.... with tax and petrol prices. nice car all the same.

na, people prefer cars that do a mix. if its just city/town driving then there's more chance of kerbed alloys, bumps, scrapes and worn clutch. take it out!!
    OK, thanks. I'm not really experienced in selling cars, so any advise appreciated. I've only sold one before this but it went easily, if only this one would....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Tony,
    406's are not great sellers tbh, regarless of it being a coupe. They in my opinion and experience are a grand cars and offer decent value for money. Yours is 8 years old, nearly 9 and so for your asking price other fresher cars could be bought on the private market. Review your price is my opinion - but still, not much is selling these days anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Looking at similar cars it's simply priced too high.

Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what people think is a fair price? Like I said, I don't mind lowering it if it means it'll move.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tony,

I'd take a few hours to get some really nice pics of the car against a good background too.

Tony Danza wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what people think is a fair price? Like I said, I don't mind lowering it if it means it'll move.

€2750 - and I'm not kidding:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looks to be the very same as your own, less mileage and from a dealer.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/406/COUPE/200846190880097/advert

Way over priced tbh

Edit: Yours is nearly the dearest there, no wonder you haven't got any phonecalls. Nothing reasonable priced about it. If you want to sell,€3,000 might get a few callers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

throw in a holiday to spain like some car dealers that are also trying to sell there cars and someone defo will buy it lol

€2750 - and I'm not kidding:eek:.
    OK, you're right I would sell it at that price. But how does everybody else plan on selling theres? I'm no where near being one of the dearest Limerick-Man, I'm not sure what site you are looking at. That car you posted needs a lot of work to it, since it's in s**t, so 3k for that one is way too much anyway.

Well I guess there's one direction to put the price in, OK, feared that this might be the only advise I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

2lite petrols are slow, but yes do take better pictures with a nice background or less for the customer to look at.

i find myself looking at peoples houses more so then the car.

OK, you're right I would sell it at that price. But how does everybody else plan on selling theres? I'm no where near being one of the dearest Limerick-Man, I'm not sure what site you are looking at. That car you posted needs a lot of work to it, since it's in s**t, so 3k for that one is way too much anyway.

Well I guess there's one direction to put the price in, OK, feared that this might be the only advise I got.

Well, its not about me being right. I just take a pragmatic view on car sales and prices at the mo.
    I'm in the same boat Tony like thousands out there. I've got a 4x4 that i'd like to move on but i dont have a hope in hell in getting the price i think its worth. It just **** at the mo. However, its relative. If you take the hit on it, you'll be free to buy what you want with cash on the hip - and then haggle like a HOG and get a bargain motor next time!:) Its not all bad...like you could get your next car for a song......and if you go about it right, YOU WILL.
    A negative WILL turn Positive for you.

Best of luck!

OK, you're right I would sell it at that price. But how does everybody else plan on selling theres? I'm no where near being one of the dearest Limerick-Man, I'm not sure what site you are looking at. That car you posted needs a lot of work to it, since it's in s**t, so 3k for that one is way too much anyway.QUOTE]

I think if you put anywhere near the extra two grand your looking for into that one, i think you would come out with a fairly cracking car. Being realistic, your is over priced. Thet weren't a huge seller here, and still aren't (even the 407 coupe's sell in small numbers). Fair enough they're a car you either want or don't want, but the days of people buying 2.0 petrol cars, that are 8 or 9 years old are long gone.

It'll all about saving now, people are "trading down" to small engines, small tax brackets and bigger mpg.

As mentioned above things that would improve your add are better pictures. Personally i would go with a plane background, your not selling the tree's and the scenery. So get the car at a nice angle, and clean. Get the full 9 photo's your allowed. Put the car at an angle to a wall if you can find one.

Get 3 pics of the outside.
    1.The front
    2.Front quarter showing most of the front and side
    3.The back.
    4.Get a shot with the boot open.
    5.A shot from the passenger side in across the interior, with the seats as far back as they will go. Make sure it's clean.
    6. Put the seats into the forwards reclined postion, and get a pic of the back seats.
    7.Sit into the back, reclined the drivers seat back a bit, and get a picture straight onto the steering wheels, as what you would see if you were driving. (Resting the camera on the headrest works well for this.)
    8.Get a direct shot of one of the wheels, the cleanest perhaps.
    9.Be imaginative with this, get a nice shot of one of the badges or something, make sure it's clean. On that note make sure everything you take if spotlessly clean.

For the add details. Cars can pass NCT's, and run out again after 5 or 6 months if the nct is back dated. When does the nct actually run out? When was it last serviced? Have you included all it's features? Has it cruise control etc. etc. Try pump as much in as you can, make use of the space your given. If you have a bit of space let throw in the mileage the service's were at.

It'll make it look like you look after your car. If there is anything small that isn't working, get it working. Make sure who ever come's to view has nothing bad too say, be honest if someone rings you. If there's a major dent that isn't in the pic, and they ask you are there any, tell them. It'll save both of ye wasting time.

As for price, it's up to yourself, but i feel 4,950 if very strong in this climate. Also try other ways of advertising free if you already haven't.(Buyandsell.ie, adverts.ie etc. etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fluffyclouds

Hi, sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread (new here). I'm just wondering if anyone could please advise me on how much I should sell my Hyundai Tuscon jeep for, privately. It is a 2005 petrol with just under 55,000 Km, leather interior, sunroof, taxed until 2009. It has also just been serviced. Any advice on a realistic price would be great. Thanks.

15-16K maybe a bit less?

15-16K maybe a bit less?
    Hi, thanks for the reply. That is the price I had in mind. Think it will probably end up going for less than that, but I just wanted a place to start.

If you really wanted to sell you would have to start at 15, if you get no action lower to 14. If it was diesel you would be in a better boat, just price accordlingly. Have you an active advert atm?

If you really wanted to sell you would have to start at 15, if you get no action lower to 14. If it was diesel you would be in a better boat, just price accordlingly. Have you an active advert atm?
    No i have'nt advertised it yet. I wanted to get it serviced first (which I just did) I would'nt want to sell it on if there was anything wrong with it. I know the fact that it is petrol won't help, but sure I might as well try and see how I get on.

• Advertisement

No i have'nt advertised it yet. I wanted to get it serviced first (which I just did) I would'nt want to sell it on if there was anything wrong with it. I know the fact that it is petrol won't help, but sure I might as well try and see how I get on.

Do, if it was registered early 05 it'll be due an NCT, which would be a very good selling point.

Do, if it was registered early 05 it'll be due an NCT, which would be a very good selling point.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try it and see how I get on.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I dont have a hope in hell in getting the price i think its worth. It just **** at the mo.

Nothing "at the mo" about it. Prices took a dive and that's it. Cars are not like oil or property. Prices don't fluctuate, they just drop.

Everyone's been hit, which may be a good thing as Limerick Man points out, but especially those of us with >1.8l petrol engines. I was thinking of changing mine this year but after buying pretty right at the time I would still be looking at almost €10k depreciation in two years on an '02 car. I'm going to hang onto it for a few more years now and wouldn't be surprised if that looney Gormley comes up with another "Green" idea to hammer values further.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Is it my browser or what, I can't see any pictures on these carzone links today...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Recently sold my Renault Laguna (1.9 dCI super sport 120 BHP 2002) after dropping the original price down from 4500 to 3250. There was just no interest for over a month until I dropped the price down to 3250 when interest started picking up. Eventually sold it for 3000 but can't lose the feeling of being shortchanged as it was a great car and would have held on to it if I could.

Short story - price the car to get it noticed - and be prepared to get around 3000. Had my car on adverts.ie and carlist.ie for a while, but sold the car three days after listing it on carsireland.ie and buyandsell.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Hi all,

Any recommendations for myself?

link removed

Have been trying to shift this for a while and have dropped the price to what I think is attractive...

Pictures on Carzone appear to be gone today for me too

Hi all,

Any recommendations for myself?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mini/Cooper/IRISH-CA/200845190770012/advert

Have been trying to shift this for a while and have dropped the price to what I think is attractive...

Pictures on Carzone appear to be gone today for me too

Again, too expensive - drop the price to €8995:o

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Again, too expensive - drop the price to €8995:o

at least.

Pretty much everyone who comes on has priced their car too high. It's easy people, if no-one is even bothering to call, your price is too high! No matter what you think it should be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

• Advertisement

xabi wrote: »

Yes, 6.5k :( more like it.
    and your "price drop posts" make you look desperate! sorry.:confused:

Advertisement