Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

quarryman wrote: »

Lots of people are looking for big engine cars...........doesnn't mean everyone is obsessed with emissions.

+1000

I want to leave this world with as large a carbon footprint as possible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

When VRT is factored in, you have a car, considering the mileage, which people might panic at the price of. I would echo what other posters say, and pay the VRT, then readvertise. Definitely spreadd your advertising across several sites if you can.

Take some decent photos too, the glare from the sun in yours isn't doing the car any favours. If you know someone handy with an SLR, and some good lenses, good photos can make all the difference. Here's some I took of a car with the same engine as yours :

31393236qd5.jpg74768750tg0.jpg
    94385886jk0.jpg60902413rm1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ned78 wrote: »
    When VRT is factored in, you have a car, considering the mileage, which people might panic at the price of. I would echo what other posters say, and pay the VRT, then readvertise. Definitely spreadd your advertising across several sites if you can.

Take some decent photos too, the glare from the sun in yours isn't doing the car any favours. If you know someone handy with an SLR, and some good lenses, good photos can make all the difference. Here's some I took of a car with the same engine as yours :

31393236qd5.jpg74768750tg0.jpg
    94385886jk0.jpg60902413rm1.jpg

ZM Coupe.......nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I recently bought an M3, and I can give you some advice.... although all of it has been mentioned.

You need to list the VRT price. The English reg is a put off, so you need to be very open about it.
    They make it very easy to calculate so for feck sake just do it.

The mileage is your big problem. Even though the car is plenty capably of handling it, Irish people have a phobia about high mileage cars.
    Even if you're someone, like me, who realises it, you still have to take into consideration the resale of the car.
    Nothing you can really do about that except have it as a serious bargain.
    Good luck with the sale.

oh, and to any poster who says it's not a desirable car at any time is just nuts. Nuts. This is a 90K+ car new. And there's a reason for that.... it's a beautiful piece of machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,983 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cpaw wrote: »
    Wake up and smell the coffee, we are in a recession, nobody and I mean NOBODY wants big petrol ****e tanks like the above. We all want lower emissions now. People are tightening their belts. The car I drive is alot better than that. I know what I'm on about thanks.

That has to eb the funniest post in a long time, enjoy that focus pal, you must be great crack to have around socially too :D

also lads anyone looking at an m3 is aware that it is a 3.2, its not like someone looking at a 330 and thinking well i could just get a 318ci instead, its the same thing with a smaller engine, people looking at m3s want that specific car.

with the vrt that is gonna cost someone 30k, plenty of low mile 03s going for that now :( so no one will pay it for a 110k 04, id try sell it in the uk personally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I agree that a new low as been reached when an M3 is classed as crap or unwanted.

I also think that the original post is against the charter.

However on the high mileage thing, if it's genuine then photograph the service documentation to prove it is all in order. This might help you attract customers. Also show the UK reg & mention that any HPI check can be done to prove it's genuine. Heck even get a HPi report done yourself & put a photo of that up. It's only €25.

Agreed on the photographs, the way the light is catching the car makes it look worn out. If you can get the pictures indoors all the better. Although, Ned you ave way too much practice at this stuff :)

I find it difficult to understand that you have no clue about the VRT. How can someone buy a car like that, an enthusiast's car & not understand the VRT system? I think that has certainly put off every motoring enthusiast on this forum off even looking at it.

You must have some clue about the motor trade seeing as you are prepared to take a trade in too. That would make me equally suspicious. If you are not in the trade then remove this trade-in comment, you could always agree a trade in with any speculative calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Typical irish Explain yourself?
    I take offence to that comment

Totally agree , usually you wait to insult the consumer after you have made the sale to them.:rolleyes:

NI reg M3 , eh no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My car has been for sale for about a couple of months now privately, listed on various sites, in various newspapers etc., it is priced to sell (have the new car already, in the hole financially until I get something for the old one!) and I haven't had one solitary call or email about it. Nothing. Times are tough (for me included!) and I need to get rid of it quick.

As the private route hasn't really worked out for me are there any alternatives? Car supermarket type places etc.? The dealer I got my new car off wouldn't take it (2004 polo) as a trade in to start with which was my first clue that it would take a while to sell...but as time is going on I'm getting more and more desperate.

I've dropped the price several times, have said the price is negotiable and none of it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

links to ad?

car...

price...

etc etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Mods please lock this thread, this is the 2nd one today.

• Advertisement

http://adverts.ie/82596

I am aware the VRT issue might put people off before anyone says it, but re-plating it will invalidate the insurance which is why I don't want to do it before selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The only other alternative to time and patience is an auction ...where you will get an absolute pittance for it

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ellscurr wrote: »
    My car has been for sale for about a couple of months now privately, listed on various sites, in various newspapers etc., it is priced to sell (have the new car already, in the hole financially until I get something for the old one!) and I haven't had one solitary call or email about it. Nothing. Times are tough (for me included!) and I need to get rid of it quick.

As the private route hasn't really worked out for me are there any alternatives? Car supermarket type places etc.? The dealer I got my new car off wouldn't take it (2004 polo) as a trade in to start with which was my first clue that it would take a while to sell...but as time is going on I'm getting more and more desperate.

I've dropped the price several times, have said the price is negotiable and none of it's working.

your not going to want to hear it but no calls at all means it is priced too high for the current market. Knock 500 off every week and it will sell eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You just can't beat the Focus :D

Your argument sounds like bull testicles to me, Typical :rolleyes:

Oh dear. A new motors low.
    Anyhoo, OP - you have two options. Advertise in Autotrader.co.uk and Pistonheads, or pay VRT and advertise on carzone and carbuyersguide.ie.
    Listing the VRT in the Irish add isn't great. Anyone looking to go to the hassle of VRT'ing an M3 will go to England altogether and source a lower mileage one.

I am aware the VRT issue might put people off before anyone says it, but re-plating it will invalidate the insurance which is why I don't want to do it before selling it.

€6000 for a 2004 Polo that hasn't VRT paid? Time to get real.

Biro wrote: »
    €6000 for a 2004 Polo that hasn't VRT paid? Time to get real.

If you read the ad again you would notice that the 6k includes the VRT, i.e. I get 5k and the lovely revenue commissioners get the 1k VRT. I felt it was clearer to put the ad like that rather than pricing it at, say, 5k and then putting a wee note at the end saying 'oh by the way...there's an extra 1k due on top of that for the taxman'. :rolleyes:

Pricing it including the VRT allows people to compare the price readily enough to other ones on the market and like I said...it's very much negotiable. I was warned off pricing it too low initially as people would assume it's dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

well first off your ad lacks pictures, take pictures of the car from all angles and the interior too. I'd be saying get the thing vrt'd too, seeing a car still on uk plates with the vrt cost "included" in the price would make me walk. How would the insurance be invalid by changing the plates? . Include as much detail as possible and really "sell" your car.

well first off your ad lacks pictures, take pictures of the car from all angles and the interior too. I'd be saying get the thing vrt'd too, seeing a car still on uk plates with the vrt cost "included" in the price would make me walk. How would the insurance be invalid by changing the plates? . Include as much detail as possible and really "sell" your car.

The car is insured in NI with a UK insurer, who only cover UK registered vehicles. Once it's registered outside the jurisdiction it is no longer insured under that policy, and it will be a mountain of hassle getting it insured in ROI for what might be only a couple of months.

Thanks for the tips on the pics...just need some decent weather now!

The car is insured in NI with a UK insurer, who only cover UK registered vehicles. Once it's registered outside the jurisdiction it is no longer insured under that policy, and it will be a mountain of hassle getting it insured in ROI for what might be only a couple of months.

Thanks for the tips on the pics...just need some decent weather now!

Why not just advertise it in NI or UK then? Any time I see a car on NI or UK reg with the seller including the VRT I assume they bought it only to sell it on for a quick buck. Therefore I could do better myself if I looked and also the fact that they bought to sell means that they wouldn't have cared about the condition or history so long as it was respectable enough to find some buyer.

Why not just advertise it in NI or UK then? Any time I see a car on NI or UK reg with the seller including the VRT I assume they bought it only to sell it on for a quick buck. Therefore I could do better myself if I looked and also the fact that they bought to sell means that they wouldn't have cared about the condition or history so long as it was respectable enough to find some buyer.

We all know why I'm not trying to sell it in the UK or NI Biro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

You just can't beat the Focus :D

Your argument sounds like bull testicles to me, Typical :rolleyes:

Totally disagree, however the one thing i will agree with is your location:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you read the ad again you would notice that the 6k includes the VRT, i.e. I get 5k and the lovely revenue commissioners get the 1k VRT. I felt it was clearer to put the ad like that rather than pricing it at, say, 5k and then putting a wee note at the end saying 'oh by the way...there's an extra 1k due on top of that for the taxman'. :rolleyes:

Pricing it including the VRT allows people to compare the price readily enough to other ones on the market and like I said...it's very much negotiable. I was warned off pricing it too low initially as people would assume it's dodgy.

The revenue OMSP for your car is €4910. It's worth noting if you already don't know that the OMSP is inclusive of VRT, i.e. this does not mean that they think your car is worth €4910 before tax and then you add €982 to get a retail price of €5892, it means that the car would be expected to retail for €4910.
    What makes you think you're going to be able to sell it for €6k or anything close to €6k in a private sale in the current climate? What makes your car worth a premium over similar cars for sale, cars such as this one for sale in Antrim for £3,695, somebody from the south buying this in a straight sale with no warranty could drive away in this for about £3,300 equivalent to €3,900 after changing the money in a bank, maybe even less. Your car is in Cork and you have to remember that for most of the population of the republic, Antrim is probably more accessable than Cork (before anyone has a go, I'm a native of Cork and I'm merely stating demographic fact).
    I feel like I'm repeating myself over and over on this thread but anybody who is looking to buy a car in a private sale is looking for rock bottom prices. Your competition comes from personal imports from the UK with a marginal premium for an Irish registered car and saving the hassle of travel and VRT.
    You need to price that car at €5k max, including VRT, and be prepared to go a few hundred less. If you're really that reluctant to reregister it here, you could argue that there will be one less recorded owner if the purchaser is the first registered owner in the republic which is surely a benefit to the new owner.

We all know why I'm not trying to sell it in the UK or NI Biro.

Really? All 4 million people in the republic know why you're not trying to sell it in the UK or NI? Well I don't know, so enlighten me. Current economic conditions maybe? Same in all countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The facts that

1. You say that nobody wants big petrol cars when many forum members here own such cars and have no intention of giving them up, "recession" or not

and

2. emissions makes no difference whatsoever for anything registered before this year

and

3. The fact that you think the M3 is a "tank"

and

4. Oil prices are in freefall

makes it quite clear that no, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. But, hey, as long as the (unnamed) car you drive is "a lot better than that", well I suppose that such a stinging riposte ends the argument really. :rolleyes:
    Emissions determine VRT rate for all imports since July 1st, 2008.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think theres a lot of people with very poor ads and looking for very unrealistic prices for their cars. Especially those with high mileage and patchy history. Also the wisdom of buying new cars to save tax and fuel costs when you are losing 8k or more a year in the first year or so, in depreciation doesn't make any sense. People in Ireland seems to have an inflated opinion in how much leggy German cars are worth, especially diesels. Often the total costs per year including reliability or the reliability doesn't back up these prices.

No easy credit means people are going to be far more cautious.

Really? All 4 million people in the republic know why you're not trying to sell it in the UK or NI? Well I don't know, so enlighten me. Current economic conditions maybe? Same in all countries.

Biro, I certainly made no reference to the entire population of Ireland knowing anything about why I'm trying to sell my car in the Republic.

Re the OMSP and what I marketed my car at, I looked on other sites at the time and priced it below most of them, but not so low that it appeared as a scam. I was going on advice from a boards.ie motors thread by the way. It seems the mention of the Northern plates inspires some hostility. I'm not trying to get rich off anyone, I just need to sell the car. Thank you for the constructive reply alias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

The only way to sell a car now is price it lowest and no haggle not even € 50. Worked for me

Biro, I certainly made no reference to the entire population of Ireland knowing anything about why I'm trying to sell my car in the Republic.

Re the OMSP and what I marketed my car at, I looked on other sites at the time and priced it below most of them, but not so low that it appeared as a scam. I was going on advice from a boards.ie motors thread by the way. It seems the mention of the Northern plates inspires some hostility. I'm not trying to get rich off anyone, I just need to sell the car. Thank you for the constructive reply alias.

"We all know" is the part I picked up on. My post, #530, indicated my mind-set when I see an add like yours. I'm not the only one. Therefore I was politely pointing out a problem in your add, regardless of the real situation. I don't give a crap why you're selling it here or where you're selling it, I'm only telling you what your add looks like.
    If you want to sell it, price it a grand lower and take more pics. No one will think it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

yep just get the fooking thing vrt'd and cleaned and more snaps and reduced costs please and make people want to contact you. perhaps put some tea and cakes on the bonnet or maybe a <snip> to tempt an unsuspecting old man :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

HAVENT A CLUE WHAT THE VRT IS THINK ITS BIG THO!

more like you know. anyways the VRT is €16,000 so it's not quite the bargain after all :)

STATISTICAL CODE: 41185292
    MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: M3
    VERSION: E46 02DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    CO2 EMISSIONS: 323
    MILEAGE: 110000 MILES
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JULY 2004

OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €45024
    RATE OF TAX: 36%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €16208

Advertisement