Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a realistic asking price for my car, looking at Carzone most similar models are in the €9,000 - €10,500 range but all are for sale from garages/dealers. I would expect a punter to pay a bit more for a car if buying from a garage since they will probably service it and maybe include a warranty. So I'm trying to put a figure on my car for a private sale. What would you think? about 90% of the average asking price from a garage? ... it's not like I expect it to sell for asking price but I need a starting point!

BTW: 2004 Mazda3 1.3, 40,000 miles (maybe Km's need to check :o)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,

I am trying to come up with a realistic asking price for my car, looking at Carzone most similar models are in the €9,000 - €10,500 range but all are for sale from garages/dealers. I would expect a punter to pay a bit more for a car if buying from a garage since they will probably service it and maybe include a warranty. So I'm trying to put a figure on my car for a private sale. What would you think? about 90% of the average asking price from a garage? ... it's not like I expect it to sell for asking price but I need a starting point!

BTW: 2004 Mazda3 1.3, 40,000 miles (maybe Km's need to check :o)

Thanks

Those cars are still on carzone because they are probably too expensive, so take those figures with a pinch of salt. Remember they are asking prices, the actually selling price may be alot less. The used car market is in such a state at the moment it is hard to put an accurate price on anything.

You need to consider what is the cheapest private "asking" price and undercut that. The cheapest private one I can see up there is €7450 so you need to start off by asking less than that if you want to attract a buyer and see how you get on.

It's a buyer's market so remember a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what the owner thinks it's worth.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as bazz says, look for say 7k, but you will be doing very well to get that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Forget about trying to find a price for your car on carzone. The only way to find a realistic price for your car at the minute is to do some research on the amount of euros that it would take to import your car from britain including vrt. Add about 500 euros to this to take into account travelling expenses etc. and you will not be far off a sensible price. add on some euros to allow yourself room to negotiate. I would bet you will be disappointed with the final figure that you calculate but it will be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

I've been trying to sell a 2000 Toyota Celica for a few months now and I'm having no joy. I have the price down to 7850 which I think, going by other prices for the same car, is pretty good. Autotrader was no good, carzone, cbg etc were no good.....I'm at the end of my tether! Is it just because of the "current economic climate" or is my pricing off? I really need to get it sold by the end of January because I'm heading to Chad until June and there's no need for a Celica out there!

Any ideas how or where to shift it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

they're one of the hardest cars to sell, I've sold 2 of them! Is it a Jap import? 140 or 190 bhp model?

link to the ad?

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=78311&cat=500

It's the 140bhp, not a jap import. It has a new engine (2007) which now has 7000 or so miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=78311&cat=500

It's the 140bhp, not a jap import. It has a new engine (2007) which now has 7000 or so miles

Remove the "price drop" header - and drop the price to sub 6.5k.
    Its not your fault, just the market. Its on its arse.

6.5? Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

6.5? Ouch!

It's not the fact your car isn't worth that, it's worth more than 7K, it's just trying to get some one to buy it. The market is crap, so if you want a quick sale you need an unbeatable price. It's worth what you have it advertised for, but it could take time to get the right buyer.

Advertise in more places.

• Advertisement

It's not the fact your car isn't worth that, it's worth more than 7K, it's just trying to get some one to buy it. The market is crap, so if you want a quick sale you need an unbeatable price. It's worth what you have it advertised for, but it could take time to get the right buyer.

Advertise in more places.

+1

or consider locking her away safe in a garage till you get back. May be worth more to you to hang onto it as your not going to score a good price for it.

Really need to shift it because I bought a new car in May thinking I would have got the Celica sold so I'm stuck with 2 at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really need to shift it because I bought a new car in May thinking I would have got the Celica sold so I'm stuck with 2 at the minute

In that situation you then you need todrop the price until you get some interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

6.5? Ouch!

Today I can get a 2005 celica up in Armagh (private sale) with 47,000 miles full service history for €9,800....including VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

meesa wrote: »
    Today I can get a 2005 celica up in Armagh (private sale) with 47,000 miles full service history for €9,800....including VRT!

Lol, great news:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 angel12

Hi,

I sold my car by add on cars.com and in the newspaper. I have gotten a quote from them and they have to make money on the deal too, so they offer basically a trade in quote. Selling on your own should net you more money if you have a little more time.

You can also sold it on eBay its good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

if you use email address on these advertising sites, beware of email scammers, wanting to buy your car, at any price...blah blah..had a few dodgy ones myself, so just be careful :)

magconn wrote: »
    if you use email address on these advertising sites, beware of email scammers, wanting to buy your car, at any price...blah blah..had a few dodgy ones myself, so just be careful :)

ohhh, i love scam email buyers. Such believable enthrawling stories too, like theres always a death, bank account details, foreigners, a divorce, a shipping co, dodgy mobile no's etc etc......and sometimes all @ once!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Am selling the car in my siggie if anyone has any feedback (apart from the NCT)

Also, wondering does your car have to be taxed to go for NCT testing? Reason I ask is I've had this car in storage so the NCT has expired but seeing as how I'm driving and taxing my new 156 JTD I dont really want to be taxing a second car just to sell it easier.

The car isn't on carzone yet but at the price I'd put it up for it would be the cheapest by about €750 (similiar models , years and mileafe cheapest is €2,250 and the most expensive similiar model being €3,000 )

Anyways feedback welcome.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC Tax is not required for an NCT (or vice versa)

• Advertisement

cheers kbannon i always thought car had to be taxed to go for NCT. that case ill put it through tye NCT and as soon as it passes ill bump up the price by about €200 to reflect the fresh NCT cert

miju wrote: »
    as soon as it passes ill bump up the price by about €200 to reflect the fresh NCT cert

yep - like that'll work!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭alias no.9

miju wrote: »
    cheers kbannon i always thought car had to be taxed to go for NCT. that case ill put it through tye NCT and as soon as it passes ill bump up the price by about €200 to reflect the fresh NCT cert

Sorry to put a dampner on it but the best you can expect is from the fresh NCT is to attract a buyer sooner, possibly meaning you don't need to drop the price to attract attention. Price it higher if you like but that's not the way to make a sale in the current climate and €1500 in your pocket is always worth more than a depreciating asset that you hope might fetch €1700.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 to the above, i cant see a frsh nct justifying a price increase. If you want to sell it, the fresh nct is just the icing on the cake at the current price. A fresh nct will make it more attractiv to buyers so id stay its still worth your while.

cheers for feedback guys. re: price increase i dp
    fulltly understand your points but the car is worth more to me with a NCT. given i've 3 currently 3 Alfas and I collect em I've no probs in holding onto this one rather than sell it for less than what i'm prepared to let it go for especially given how well I've
    looked after it and maintained it.

Like i said in the ad its to help fund a new project but if it means i've to hold onto the car and fund the restoration of the 155 out of my own pocket rather than sell the car then so be it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks,

I am trying to sell a 99 Micra in excellent condition with only 61500 miles on the clock. It has the usual extras such as air conditioning, power steering, Airbags etc and is still taxed and Ncted till October. I have put the asking price as €1500 but the only calls and offers i get are for under €1000 (the max offer was €900). I was just wondering if you think I am asking to much. I would have thought their would be a good market for these cars and I figured that €1500 was great value.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=85522&cat=500

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1500 seems to be towards the lower end of what people are looking for for 99 Micras so you're not overpriced compared to others - its just the market is dead right now and people will chance their arm at any price knowing that someone will likely sell it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

A 10 year old Nissan Micra is not worth a lot in the current market. I would take the 900 if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Does that car have air con? I'd say if you want to get shot of the car, get onto the 900 squid buyer and take it, maybe try bargain them up slightly but compared to what you should be able to bargain off your new car you wont be at too much of a disadvantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes it has air con. I just think €900 is to low for what its worth. Its running very well at the moment.

Advertisement