Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

billyhead wrote: »
    Yes it has air con. I just think €900 is to low for what its worth. Its running very well at the moment.

But Billy, it does'nt matter what you think.
    You're not in control here, the buyer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

billyhead wrote: »
    Yes it has air con. I just think €900 is to low for what its worth. Its running very well at the moment.

If you need to sell it, it's worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it. If you can afford to hold on to it for a while, it will still be worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it when you do decide to sell it. One thing is for sure though, the amount that somebody is prepared to pay for it is only going in one direction and it ain't up. If you're not using it any more, what's more valuable to you, €900 or a car that's parked up and gathering moss?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Looking back, i can't believe I sold an 11 year old Polo with 131k on the clock for €1500 in July.
    I'd drop the Micra price to €1200 and you might get some more callers offering €1000 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looking back, i can't believe I sold an 11 year old Polo with 131k on the clock for €1500 in July.
    I'd drop the Micra price to €1200 and you might get some more callers offering €1000 for it.

Got €2200 for one last July:P

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Hey all,

I drive an 08 Volvo C30 and have been trying to sell it for a number of months. I bought it for 30000 and it is a top of the range model. Iv had it on Carzone and associated websites. Iv dropped the price to 23500 . Its clearly one of the nicest one of these cars that is on the net and it is by faar the cheapest of the type of cars.

I know the C30 isnt the most popular car on the market but it is a really nice car . i also know the market is brutal at the moment but was wondering is there any thing else apart from take an even bigger hit on the price . Is it worth placing an add in a magazine or should i just hold on in hope that the market improves?? ( V V v doubtful)

Any thoughts would be appreciated ..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd say drop the price. €23,500 is far too much for a year-old Volvo that's €30,000 new, IMO. Is the €30k the list or the cash price of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think there is a "help sell my car" thread here somewhere its a fairly large one so i would imagine its quite easy to find. there might be some tips there

GusGus wrote: »
    Hey all,

I drive an 08 Volvo C30 and have been trying to sell it for a number of months. I bought it for 30000 and it is a top of the range model. Iv had it on Carzone and associated websites. Iv dropped the price to 23500 . Its clearly one of the nicest one of these cars that is on the net and it is by faar the cheapest of the type of cars.

I know the C30 isnt the most popular car on the market but it is a really nice car . i also know the market is brutal at the moment but was wondering is there any thing else apart from take an even bigger hit on the price . Is it worth placing an add in a magazine or should i just hold on in hope that the market improves?? ( V V v doubtful)

Any thoughts would be appreciated ..:)

Your car seems reasonably priced for the spec on it. Although the only thing that's going to sell it in the current climate is price. Nothing more. You also have the highest mileage one there, so that should be relflected in the price. Also, on carzone, you're the only private seller. Looks like alot of the other one's for sale are Demo models which still haven't sold. You're pictures are crap as well, try get a lend of a better camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 limerick-fella

Trying to sell a clean 96 VW Polo, it runs well and has the basic features.I have it on adverts and buy and sell, any other good places I can put it on? I was thinking carzone, but would loadzacars be better?

What do ye think of the pictures/details and price I have put up?

I just got a 00 Carisma and need to sell this fast.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=88052&cat=2

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

GusGus wrote: »

I drive an 08 Volvo C30

What engine is it? I know alot of people aren't too interested in the flexifuel one now because it's still a 1.8 petrol :(

• Advertisement

Trying to sell a clean 96 VW Polo, it runs well and has the basic features.I have it on adverts and buy and sell, any other good places I can put it on? I was thinking carzone, but would loadzacars be better?

What do ye think of the pictures/details and price I have put up?

I just got a 00 Carisma and need to sell this fast.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=88052&cat=2

If i had to say something bad about that add it would be the pics. They'll all at awkward angles. Get it out of the driveway and take some good shots of the outside.

Pricewise, if you want rid of it, all you can do it drop it. Surely anything with near a years nct and 6 months tax is worth 600-700. You're going to have to just keep waiting until someone see's it.

Try www.donedeal.ie, and any other site you can do it for free.

Throw it up on www.vagdrivers.net as well, which is a Vw enthusiasts site.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Folks, didn't want to start a new thread on this but mods feel free to move it to a new thread if you think it is OT.

Anyway I'm looking towards folks really in the know or trade here to put a rough value on my car as there maybe someone I know interested in it.

Model: MkII Ford Focus,
    Year: 2005,
    Type: 5 dr hatchback,
    Trim: Ghia,
    Colour: Panther Black (metalic),
    Engine: 1.6 litre TDCi (110bhp) diesel,
    Mileage: 71,000 miles (115,000 km),
    No of Owners: 2 including me,
    Service History: Full Ford Service History (full service done last Monday),
    NCT: Not due till September but will be NCT'd in March when it is being sold.
    Standart kit: Electric windows front + back, heated front windscreen & mirrors, remote c/l, cruise control, a/c, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, auto diping rear view mirror, Sony stereo & cd changer, 16" alloy wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Two datapoints - I sold 05 5dr 1.6 TDCi LX 90bhp 47k miles before Christmas with warranty for 9500, and can sell 05 black 5dr 1.6 TDCi LX 110bhp 56k now for 8950 retail. Yours has higher mileage but also higher spec, being sold without warranty. I'd price at 8000-8500 ???

The only thing that would put me off the car is the mileage. The fact that it has gone over the 100,000 mark (km's or miles) there is still that thing with the Irish and anything over the 100 mark. All in all included i still think you'll get upwards of the 8K mark on a trade in. If you are selling privately i would start around the €9-9.5K.

The only thing that would put me off the car is the mileage. The fact that it has gone over the 100,000 mark (km's or miles) there is still that thing with the Irish and anything over the 100 mark. All in all included i still think you'll get upwards of the 8K mark on a trade in. If you are selling privately i would start around the €9-9.5K.

Thanks guys, it was a little lower than what I was expecting but understand that is the way the market is, I think the Focus has been one of the major victims of the depressed second hand market. Also I don't think 71k miles is huge mileage for a 4 year old diesel, in fact I would say it is about average.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, it was a little lower than what I was expecting but understand that is the way the market is, I think the Focus has been one of the major victims of the depressed second hand market. Also I don't think 71k miles is huge mileage for a 4 year old diesel, in fact I would say it is about average.

It's not high miles for it, it's just the fact that it has gone over the 100km mark. You could be lucky to get that money, as 07 petrols are making just over the 12-13k mark. The fact that it is four years old, and the new model out. You know all that yourself. See how you get on, best of luck with the sale.

It's not high miles for it, it's just the fact that it has gone over the 100km mark. You could be lucky to get that money, as 07 petrols are making just over the 12-13k mark. The fact that it is four years old, and the new model out. You know all that yourself. See how you get on, best of luck with the sale.

Yeah I know the drill.

I think I will play it by ear and see if this guy is keen enough to make an offer, in no hurry to sell anyway as I don't even have a replacement picked out. ;)

in no hurry to sell anyway as I don't even have a replacement picked out. ;)

Let the fun begin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2523275

I'm trying to shift an 04 fiesta. i advertized it pre christmas at 6950, then 6450 now 5950. i'd one or two callers but no one came to view the car.

Do you think i'll get viewers at this price? I think it's very competitive but not being in the trade i don't know what a dealer would price one at. Any ideas?

i'm not buying a new car, owner emigrating, so my only option is a straight sale.

Ordinarily i would have thought a one owner fiesta, 42k miles, good spec would sell quickly to a person buying a first car or a families second car but as we all know these aren't normal times.

Will i get callers at this price? Dealers on carzone are advertizing much higher but but how heavily are they discounting to sell to genuine buyers???

Newcarneeded - my advice is simple........Drop the price to €4,500 and play up on the "owner emigrating" scenario.

You will have a terrific bargain price and a genuine reason for sale which is pretty common in these days anyway.
    Stick it on ebay,on Carzone, in the buy and sell and on all the free sites SOLIDLY for 2weeks. Put up a poster in work, down in tescos and the like, text all your phone book contacts in your mobile telling people that your car is for sale, you have to sell it, its a must, its got to go and its only just €4500 - and ask for all your pals to txt it on to all their pals etc etc. You just never know when you get some traction. PUSH, PUSH and PUSH harder.

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Newcarneeded - my advice is simple........Drop the price to €4,500 and play up on the "owner emigrating" scenario.

You will have a terrific bargain price and a genuine reason for sale which is pretty common in these days anyway.
    Stick it on ebay,on Carzone, in the buy and sell and on all the free sites SOLIDLY for 2weeks. Put up a poster in work, down in tescos and the like, text all your phone book contacts in your mobile telling people that your car is for sale, you have to sell it, its a must, its got to go and its only just €4500 - and ask for all your pals to txt it on to all their pals etc etc. You just never know when you get some traction. PUSH, PUSH and PUSH

good harder.

best of luck
    good advice, dont forget about autotrader though, bit shteep but can be effective!

pipsqueak wrote: »
    good advice, dont forget about autotrader though, bit shteep but can be effective!

Agreed, forgot about them!:):rolleyes:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ahoy all, just wondering if anyone could give me an idea what I should be selling a 1999 Fiat Seicento for. I haven't got pics yet (having camera issues), but I shall give you the details of the car.

Sporting model, 2 doors
    1.2l engine
    42k miles
    Power steering, elec windows, sunroof, alloy wheels, cd, alarm/immob/central locking.

It's NCTd until April of this year. It's in good condition, and is running grand. The passenger door handle is a bit sticky (when you lift it to open the door from the outside, you have to push it back down, it doesn't snap down by itself). There's a scrape on the front bumper (we think someone hit off it while reversing their car out beside us), and there's a small dint in the back, about the size of an orange (haven't a clue what caused it, was there when we bought the car). It has had two owners including us.

I've tried researching prices on Carzone, and the like, but the prices vary so much - from the suspiciously cheap to horrendously overpriced - and there doesn't really seem to be any middleground I can see. I don't want to overprice the car, but don't want to lose out either! The car belongs to my fiancé, and he's already got his new car (Cheers Miju!) so we'd like to sell this car quickly, cos we haven't got the room to keep it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!:)

I wouldn't value it more than 800 yo yo's. Even less. What have you had it advertised at?? Does it have an NCT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Toots85 wrote: »
    he's already got his new car (Cheers Miju!)

it was a pleasure :D He better be looking after her by the way :D:D

need pics, service history is there, any even?
    Get that door fixed - it'll just put a buyer off and they'll walk away.
    whats the color?
    Book it in for an early NCT, you can do that, and get a fresh cert - alwas a + for a sale - the current one ending in April will not help a sale.
    And these cars have a small target market, Young first timers, focus on those.
    And make it cheap as chips.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I wouldn't value it more than 800 yo yo's. Even less. What have you had it advertised at?? Does it have an NCT?
    I haven't advertised it yet, I didn't think there was any point until I had pictures of it! €800 is more than what I was thinking of putting it up at, I'd thought €500 but I really haven't a clue. It's NCT is up in April.
    need pics, service history is there, any even?
    Get that door fixed - it'll just put a buyer off and they'll walk away.
    whats the color?
    I think the door is fairly minor, possibly just a spring, so we'll be getting that done. The colour is silver. We have the service history from when we have owned it, but not before then (which is probably what people are going to look at) we've only had it about 18months. I just bought it for the OH so he had something to learn on - I didn't want him learning on my car :P
    Book it in for an early NCT, you can do that, and get a fresh cert - alwas a + for a sale - the current one ending in April will not help a sale.
    Ooh, I didn't know I could do that!! Must book it in!
    miju wrote: »
    it was a pleasure :D He better be looking after her by the way :D:D
    Oh he's delighted with her!! In fact I'm beginning to feel somewhat neglected since she came on the scene! :p

Well if you can rid of it for €500 by all means do. Should fly away at that price. It's what learner drivers want. I think it's the type of car that would sell well on supermarket notice boards, buyandsell etc. etc.

Well if you can rid of it for €500 by all means do. Should fly away at that price. It's what learner drivers want. I think it's the type of car that would sell well on supermarket notice boards, buyandsell etc. etc.

Cool, I was gonna stick it up on buyandsell, carsireland.ie, and maybe the herald. I was gonna give carzone a miss since they've started charging so much for ads. :mad: I'll link the ad when I've got pics (hopefully saturday) so ye can see what ye think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NCT: Not due till September but will be NCT'd in March when it is being sold.
    You can only do an advance NCT within the three months prior to expiry.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement