Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Yea nearly all the way up ranelagh rd on right saab main dealer, www.donedeal.ie

Actually yeah I know the place now, still has some oldies knocking about the forecourt IIRC...
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Not a good time of the year to be selling a drop top I'm afraid.

It's real fun in the snow, honest!! :o:D
    Nah you're right, just hoping somebody will go for it in preparation for the summer... Here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Had beers with a mate who'd spotted an '06 525D auto 15k, loaded etc, 6300 stg, 8800 VRT landed cost, all in max 20K Euro.

Nearest we could find locally was asking 47K... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Fishtits wrote: »
    Had beers with a mate who'd spotted an '06 525D auto 15k, loaded etc, 6300 stg, 8800 VRT landed cost, all in max 20K Euro.

Nearest we could find locally was asking 47K... :rolleyes:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525d/200846190854151/advert

Ya 47k for a new one maybe lol... That's a very dear one that i've linked above. But miles away from 47k lol

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Having awful trouble trying to sell my car...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/New-Mode/200903191498954/advert

I've emmigrated and am desperate to sell at this stage... any suggestions would be more than welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think this is the right thread but - is there any market out there for second hand vehicles at the minute lads ?

I've emigrated too but am home about 2 months out of the year so the running costs on my motor aren't worth it versus the time I spend at home so I'm considering trying to sell her on.

• Advertisement

Magic Pips wrote: »

I've emmigrated and am desperate to sell at this stage... any suggestions would be more than welcomed!

Get better pictures, interior and all that. There isn't alot more you can do as it is very well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

c - 13 wrote: »
    I think this is the right thread but - is there any market out there for second hand vehicles at the minute lads ?

I've emigrated too but am home about 2 months out of the year so the running costs on my motor aren't worth it versus the time I spend at home so I'm considering trying to sell her on.
    As you might have gathered, the market is very depressed. Conventional wisdom on this forum seems to be to calculate the cost of importing a similar model from the UK incl. VRT, and use that as the basis of arriving at your asking price.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

Magic Pips wrote: »

A similar model can be cleared from the UK for about 11/12k. In these times if someone can save themselves 3 grand by doing that then I think they would more than likely take that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

lafors wrote: »
    Trying to sell my wife's old car......
    Not in a rush to sell it but it would be nice to get rid of it sooner rather then later. Here's the ad, anything missing? Any changes you'd make to it?

Adverts Ibiza
    Carzone Ibiza

So I've been looking at the prices for the past couple of weeks and people, including me, are starting to realise the market value.....i.e. drop their prices ;)

I've adjusted the price to €8,000 and placed the ad on most the sites.
    What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

what does a guy have to do to sell a car these days??? My car is now the cheapest 2006 car in Ireland and it still won't sell. :eek:

Am I going to have to give it away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

What car is it? Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

*Cough* Sig *Cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

You may just have to hang onto it for the time being, until things pick up again. Are you that mad to sell it that you'd accept well below its current value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Post a link to your ad and maybe you'll get some suggestions to improve it.

Hagar wrote: »
    *Cough* Sig *Cough* :D

Oh my God, I'm such a moron sometimes.... :o:o

Thanks Hagar!

Its in my sig:

http://adverts.ie/87929

How many times will interested buyers have to ask you for pics of the car before you put them up.

That's the fundamental problem with your ad - noone even knows if your car actually exists! The fact that you've been asked repeatedly for pics and still haven't complied further increases the suspicion.

Put up pics, don't cover the reg (so people can do background checks on the car), possibly increase the price even, I don't know if it was necessary to drop it so much.

Yeah, I know, just haven't had a chance with the weather and all. Its not like I want someone to pay me without seeing or inspecting the car or anything.

I'll try to get some up there tomorrow.

(Not meaning to be hard on you but...) you said that same thing to an interested party on 26 Jan, two and a half weeks ago.

Me personally, I'd delete that ad and start all over again when I had full info available. I'd put it on every major website. I'd look to www.autoquake.co.uk for inspiration on how to photograph and describe a car.

Yeah, I just didn't think it was the type of car that pictures would be that important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There are a lot of scams out there, cheap price + no pictures of the actual car makes people suspicious, and they walk. Having the stock pics up makes it look like the same old scam ad, type kalos into google and make up specs etc.
    You really have to "Sell" your car, a low price alone wont do, as you've found out. Sort the pics out, and take them from all angles, interior, exterior, and do it during the day time, and when dry. Also, use the best camera you can find, camera phone pics wont suffice.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The pics are really important. When I was selling my OH's car (posted about it a few pages back), the big thing that held me off from putting the ad up on the internet was that we hadn't got any pictures of it. Same reasons as you, we both leave early for work and it was dark by the time we got home. When I did have the ad up, I put in as much pics as possible (like almost a stupid amount, all the angles from outside, one of the inside of the boot, one of the inside from the driver's side and one from passenger side).

When I was buying my own car and looking on carzone and the like, I didn't even bother looking at ads that didn't have pictures. At least if it looks half decent in the pic you can assume it'll look ok when you go out to see it. I always felt that there might have been a reason why there were no pics in the ads, like the car had a big dent in one side, or the inside was really dirty or something. Now a lot of the cars with no pics could have been up like that for genuine reasons, but I didn't want to waste my time going out to see a car that might be a total wreck. I know every website I put my OH's car up on said to put in as many pics as possible cos the cars with pics sell way faster than those without.

You have to put yourself in the shopper's shoes - they decide on their budget and the style of car they want.
    They get online and start getting an idea of what their budget will afford.
    They then scour the available vehicles to see what the pick-of-the-litter is.

They contact the best 2 or 3 candidates and arrange viewings.

What you've done is offered a complete unknown for the cheapest possible price. This will set alarm bells ringing in shoppers' heads.
    They won't contact you to ask for pics, they won't email you to ask was the one lady owner really as careful as you say, they'll just glance at it and move on.

By not putting in pics, by skimping on the description/blurb or by putting POA in for the price, all a seller is doing is giving the buyer an excuse to ignore the offer.

Again, in the buyer's shoes - there are two ads on adverts.ie. Both are for Opel Corsas (same year, same colour, same mileage, same history), both are listed for €5,000.
    One ad has photos and descriptions to the same level of detail as autoquake, one is missing pics and has a sloppy description. You decide that you'll take a chance and view both cars tomorrow.
    Now think, as you set out on your journey, before you see either car:
    which car do you expect will have been cleaned before you arrive to view?
    which car will have all paperwork up-to-date and available?
    when you ask "has this car ever been crashed?", which seller will you expect to be more trustworthy?
    which car do you feel is more likely to have been stolen in the course of its life?
    which car is most likely to meet it's described condition of "mint condition, first to see will buy"?

None of these preconceptions will have any bearing on the cars themselves or the genuineness of the sellers, but they will have a big bearing on whether you actually trust the cars, how hard you haggle etc.

First impressions last, and the first impression of your car is the online ad. If it's not up to scratch, you'll spend a far greater amount of your effort trying to win the customer over.

Cool, thanks for all the advice. Someone wants to see it on Sunday so unless they buy I will put up some pictures on the weekend and possible increase the price a bit also.

OK, I've put up a ton of new pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Here's mine...

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=75425&cat=2
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318i/200906191756154/advert

Price has been dropped a fair bit, can't really drop it any lower than it is. All feedback welcome.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Here's mine...

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=75425&cat=2
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318i/200906191756154/advert

Price has been dropped a fair bit, can't really drop it any lower than it is. All feedback welcome.

Lol, there is nothing wrong with the add. Good pictures, nice description all that.

Only thing left is the price. The fact that it's a 1.9 petrol means it is going to be a hard sale, people seem to be going for the more economical cars etc. etc.

IMO, it's just a waiting game for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Only thing left is the price. The fact that it's a 1.9 petrol means it is going to be a hard sale, people seem to be going for the more economical cars etc. etc.

+1

Prices of petrol 3 series have really fallen over the last 12 months. 01 3-series sold for 4500 in Merlin last week. A mate who is a dealer has a low miles 03 one for sale with warranty etc at the moment for 9000, and he hasn't a queue for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

lifer_sean wrote: »
    +1

Prices of petrol 3 series have really fallen over the last 12 months. 01 3-series sold for 4500 in Merlin last week. A mate who is a dealer has a low miles 03 one for sale with warranty etc at the moment for 9000, and he hasn't a queue for it.

Tell me about it! I'll just have to wait and see at this rate, realistically looking at selling it before June so I'll have to wait and see. I was planning on selling it about 8 months ago but pulled the ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

volvo 850
    beautyfull work hourse in great condition for sale

you can get a look at her here

MODEDIT
    ahemmm ...you don't really need help selling this do you? You just want to sell, plain and simple.
    I know this thread is borderline when it comes to the "no sales" guidelines in the charter.

But just advertising your car here is one step too far.

Nice try :D ...ad removed nonetheless

Advertisement