Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi again also selling vw golf
    cheap as chips
    full nct on irish plates

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi just a question where does my add go on boards then?
    any help with this would be appreciated.

:D:D this thread might help with the sale after all:D:D:D.

thanks in advance from camper guy:).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your ad goes to (where it is already) ...adverts.ie.

And there it stays. No sales in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Any hints of tips for mine?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/High-Spe/200906191706435/advert

I have it on ebay, adverts.ie, carzone, vagdrivers.net etc.

S

• Advertisement

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/High-Spe/200906191706435/advert

I have it on ebay, adverts.ie, carzone, vagdrivers.net etc.

S

It's about 10 k too expensive, doesn't come with a nigerian phone number and you forgot the "God bless you" in the text :D

SERIOUSLY
    If this just turns into a pisstake now, I'll simply close this thread ...end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Maybe drop the price by about 5k.A lad working with me got a 06 A4 2.0tdi from the UK for under 14k including vrt a few weeks ago.Year younger than yours, less milage and same horse power.

peasant wrote: »
    It's about 10 k too expensive, doesn't come with a nigerian phone number and you forgot the "God bless you" in the text :D

SERIOUSLY
    If this just turns into a pisstake now, I'll simply close this thread ...end of.

What?

What?

T'is a fine line between genuinely looking for help and having a thinly veiled promo for your ad.

I'm still working on my fine line detector.:o

Now move on, nothing to see here ....

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Maybe drop the price by about 5k.A lad working with me got a 06 A4 2.0tdi from the UK for under 14k including vrt a few weeks ago.Year younger than yours, less milage and same horse power.

Thanks for the advice, I've had a fair bit of interest and a few offers along the lines of "I'll take it! but I just need to sell my car first!" but no one with the cash to buy....!!

S.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, I've had a fair bit of interest and a few offers along the lines of "I'll take it! but I just need to sell my car first!" but no one with the cash to buy....!!

S.

Aye car is over priced. Those A4's with that mileage are coming in for under 10k + VRT. I've seen a few lads offer you the money it's worth on other sites. I wouldn't advise holding at that price too long. Your keeping yourself at the wrong end of the market, and you'll eventually see yourself taking a bigger hit on it in a few months time. It looks like an English car, so I'm guessing you have a bit of a margin on it. I wouldn't get too caught up on the thoughts of making a profit either lol, times are changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

S.

No one will pay what you want for it, unless you take a trade in and give them a good price on it or something.

I feel for you, because my brother ( like everyone else ) who bought a modern motor in the last few years has taken a real beating.He bought a 06 1.6 Lancer with all the extras around 18 months ago for just over 15k, which we all thought was a good deal.You can get the new shape and more powerful 08 one now for that :o

I would bite the bullet and reduce the price to 15k if you want to sell it.If its not giving trouble and you like it, then why not keep it and get some value out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

peasant wrote: »

SERIOUSLY

Felt guilty laughing at this with all the hardship people are experiencing selling their cars but really..peasant, your moderation skills are priceless..Mod of the year- 1 vote. ..don't ever close this thread, it's a great respite from the recession

Ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wrong end of the stick, I think, Limerick Man?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Wrong end of the stick, I think, Limerick Man?

I don't know, thought i read the post as -1 vote and that he was giving out about modding. Edited my last post anyway to save hassle.

Thanks for all the advice, I've dropped it to €16,500 and open to offers. I think I knew myself that it was priced a little high, but I'm not in a rush to sell it and might keep it and enjoy it, especially with the summer on the way.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

A few points to note for anyone selling a 'genuine' car in the current climate:

1. If it has a FULL service history, either dealer history, or just documented non-dealer history, then place this prominently in the add- (call non-dealer history as Full Service History, but emphasise the DEALER aspect if this is true i.e. Full BMW service history- this is worth a lot in terms of 'peace of mind' for the buyer, and as long as you can prove it on the day, it's probably your greatest negotiating tool to make the 'deal' you want) -i,e, people buy from private buyers to avoid higher 'dealer' prices- the more you can re-assure them the car was looked after well, the more they will have 'faith' in what you are selling.

2. People who buy from a private sale are always looking for re-assurance- the more you can provide (as above) the better likelyhood they will make a deal - in addition, people buy from people- if it is a genuine sale, this will come across if you are lucky enough to meet a potential buyer- don't under-estimate yourself, if you are a genuine seller with a genuine car- it will show through.

3. Therefore, PRICE, is not always the winning formula-

4. Think of your market/target audience- what do they want- FSH, low millage, excellent condition, price, additional features, peace of mind, - usually only 1 or 2 of these, but not necessarily all 6 - your add will dicate the calls you get, in terms of emphasis you make- remember- they are not visiting a dealership, they are visiting you- this is not for no reason.

5. I have seen a lot of comments in terms of price on this thread- what if you placed the following 'doubt creating' phrase- not a UK import (if that is a true reflection)- there is a well documented 'uncertainty' about non-Irish cars on sale in Ireland- while putting down the 'opposition' (in this case, cheaper imported cars) is not necessarily the best approach, there are well documented stories of bad imported cars from the UK and I have been on the receiving end of them when considering a purchase- buyers prefer the 'devil' they know, so if you're genuine, don't hide. Personally, I wouldn't touch an imported car unless I met the original seller in their own country- regardless of where that is.

6. Be confident when face to face with a prospective customer- if they came to look at your car, and it reflects how you described it, then the're interested- you may have to pre-empt some customer objections like:
    'i've seen it cheaper elsewhere
    Why should I buy this as oppossed to...
    Prices are due to fall even lower....

If you prepare responses in advance of the customer meeting, you will feel more confident.

Hope the above helps & best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ An excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to make it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

2003 peugeot 307. 2.0 HDI. 64k. Silver sport. Alloys Aircon rain sensing. 1 owner from new. Full Peugeot dealer History.

Price?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 philmcn

Hello all,
    I'm trying to sell my beloved BMW 525 D (new model E60) and am not having much luck. I need to sell it as I'm building a house. I've been very reasonable with the price. I've checked sites all over ireland and have brought the price at or below similar cars with more miles.
    It is a 2004 525D, Silver, with 60,000 miles.
    I've put it in Auto Trader, CBG, CarZone, Adverts.ie and many others. Even had it on Car of the Week on Sunday Times. What's a fair price, give the economy, and does this ad do it justice?
    Have a look, and any feedback would be welcome
    CarZone Ad:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525D-SE/200909191938994/advert

Any tips, feedback on photos, etc would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ad is ok. I'd shut the drivers door for the 1st pic, and add an interior shot too.

Getting a sale? Drop the price. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Your car is only worth what a similar car from England+VRT is worth.

It's a tad overpriced anyway. With something like that you would want to have it a bit cheaper.

One of the main problems with people buying BMW's of late is they nearly automatically just go to England to buy. It's assumed that they are always cheaper over there. You would more than likely get a 05 520D diesel in for less than 19k, which would be a better seller. Yours doesn't seem to be a high spec, does it have leather?

Find a car in the UK, and add up how much it would cost you to bring it in. That's what you are up against and there is no two ways about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on selling cars or selling anything for that matter, but I know if something doesn't sell at one price, there's only 1 direction to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yep, its overpriced, the pics are'nt inspiring either. i'm a current 5 series owner (535d)and I'm on my 3rd now. Magic car!
    The Car needs to be €15895 or something like that to gather interest. It's up againt a raft of 17 or 18k 520d's (i know its a 525 6pot) but most people dont wanna be shelling out 1k in road tax when they can pay €590road tax or whatever and still have the 5 series body/badge/image/prestige etc.
    Redo the pics, price agressively and then (and only then) you'll be closer to the sale. Best of luck with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

philmcn wrote: »
    Have a look, and any feedback would be welcome
    CarZone Ad:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525D-SE/200909191938994/advert

Any tips, feedback on photos, etc would be appreciated.
    Wash the car, and take the photos in better light. Try and make it look "shiny". Take an inside shot that shows the seat and the peddles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Newcarneeded

I have been trying, with no success, to sell an 04 Fiesta, 1 owner from new 43k miles since before Christmas. I had a couple of callers but ultimately none came to view the car.

I've been reducing the price of the car gradually, from about 6500, which was ballpark about a grand below what carzone cbg price level was.

However these were probably wildly optimistic valuations and as i was getting no interest i kept dropping the price. so now i have it priced at 4,950. Do you think it'll sell at this level?

http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/143910-ford-fiesta-dublin

I really want to shift the car, owner emigrating.

Separately, i had the car on cbg.ie where i think it was €20 a month but it seems to be €30 a month now to advertize so i'm going to try carlist.ie

Does this site get much traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Separately, i had the car on cbg.ie where i think it was €20 a month but it seems to be €30 a month now to advertize so i'm going to try carlist.ie

Does this site get much traffic?

Traffic analysis.

carlist.ie's not even on the map!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If someoone calls about the car, your job must be to at least get them view it.

Advertisement