Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

A main dealer in Galway had an ad in the local free sheet (Galway Advertiser) a few weeks ago looking to buy in 03-06 cars due to a "shortage of stock" within that yr and value. I called outta curiosity, quoted me a figure i wouldn't dream of doing business at. IMO they were trying to take advantage of the situation with many people looking to sell their cars by offereing them fcuk all for them

I love this contradiction!

The market is slow, so dealers must drop their prices, any that don't are chancers who are trying to rip off unsuspecting punters.
    and
    You wouldn't believe the price a dealer offered me for my car, it was so low. They said the market was slow, and so they couldn't offer me as much as they used to, but I just think they're chancers who are trying to rip off unsuspecting punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Aye you can get a new higline 1.9tdi for 29k now from Dealers. Get an add up and throw it up here and we can offer our opinions.

Or a Comfortline with the 2.0TDI engine for less again. Far superior engine, but you lose the leather. I know which one I'd go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

AudiChris wrote: »
    Or a Comfortline with the 2.0TDI engine for less again. Far superior engine, but you lose the leather. I know which one I'd go for.

Bluemotion? Ah ya, much better engine. You haven't any idea why they have the chrome/wood effect dash as standard on the comfort and highline? It's god awful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

seems the bigger the car the cheaper they get second hand, the 2.0 would prob be a little easier on juice aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

http://adverts.ie/103102
    Goin to add pics tomorrow and do carzone too. Any advice?

• Advertisement

slookie wrote: »
    http://adverts.ie/103102
    Goin to add pics tomorrow and do carzone too. Any advice?

Tax it for three months, is it petrol or diesel?

so the passat 2.0tdi comfortline is the one to go for, i dont think i will ever buy from a dealer again too many bad expierences :)

so the passat 2.0tdi comfortline is the one to go for, i dont think i will ever buy from a dealer again too many bad expierences :)

Aye, if you are importing a used one try and get a Highline.

Tax it for three months, is it petrol or diesel?

It's petrol. Dont really want to tax it as its been up a while.

Petrol and no tax? It's way overpriced on that hand... I'd be advertising it at something like 5,995 euros with tax and prepared to take less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just tell the cops it's been off the road and get a stamp off them. Then tax it for three months.

ya it would put a buyer off with no tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

ermm, no lads - don't tax it now, but tell any caller/viewer that you'll tax the car for 3 months. Easier for everyone.

ermm, no lads - don't tax it now, but tell any caller/viewer that you'll tax the car for 3 months. Easier for everyone.

Aye that's what I meant in what I was saying. Advertise it with tax.

Aye that's what I meant in what I was saying. Advertise it with tax.

i know - maybe he should do 6 months or even a year if it gets it shifted:)

i know - maybe he should do 6 months or even a year if it gets it shifted:)

We'll try and get 7600 out of his head first;)

We'll try and get 7600 out of his head first;)

Well the cheapest on carzone is €5300 with 130000 miles...no thanks. Then after that there are only 3 cars cheaper than mine...only by a few hundred and all with a good bit higher mileage, and Aura model. Cheapest car with same spec as mine is €7600.....so am I missing something???

Well the cheapest on carzone is €5300 with 130000 miles...no thanks. Then after that there are only 3 cars cheaper than mine...only by a few hundred and all with a good bit higher mileage, and Aura model. Cheapest car with same spec as mine is €7600.....so am I missing something???

Yes, they are overpriced. A year newer diesel and I'd say you can knock another few hundred of that.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/D4D/200910192016250/advert

+ Uk imports, + they have come down by 8k new, + reccession and buyers market and all that.

Yes, they are overpriced. A year newer diesel and I'd say you can knock another few hundred of that.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/D4D/200910192016250/advert

+ Uk imports, + they have come down by 8k new, + reccession and buyers market and all that.

So how much do you think I should sell it for...and be reasonable!! Paid 15k for it 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So how much do you think I should sell it for...and be reasonable!! Paid 15k for it 2 years ago.

Forget what you paid 2 years ago for it. The market has changed considerably since then. The car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what the owner thinks it's worth. Cars are not worth what their owners think they are anymore and it's a buyers market.

Put it this way you are paying €10,500 for a 06 Passat, would you pay €7,600 for a 04 one when you can have one 2 years younger for €3k more? Apply the same logic to the Avensis.

• Advertisement

There's no way to be reasonable in this scenario.
    Buyers are not reasonable with their offers these days.
    On the up side, you're going buy your new car a lot cheaper than you would have 2 years ago, swings and roundabouts.

heres a good one for you and limerick man might be able to back me up on this i have a 2007 lwb landcruiser comm bought it new in may 07 38k i have a plant hire outfit so it has work done 50,000km alot of extras ,but very clean inside and out never abused and serviced on time , went to trade it in was expecting a good deal with present climate, tought garage would be glad of sale but they offered me 12,500 for it on a trade in against the same jeep new again , so that will tell you what the market is like ,im now keeping my landcruiser and i will run it into the ground ,might buy a new one in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Here's the ad.

04 Avensis for sale. Strata model includes with alloys, spots (are they spotlights, or foglights?) and air conditioning extra. NCT until 01/2010. Very clean car. Remote central locking, electric windows and mirrors, multi-function steering wheel. Full service history, just serviced and always well looked after. Price reduced to sell as I have bought another car privately, so need to sell fast. (Why tell them you're over a barrel? €7800 or make an near offer. No reasonable offer refused.
    Look at a few well-worded ads, then copy their style/content. You could google 'how to write a car ad' for tips. State the colour/paint, describe the upholstery, etc. etc.

As has been said here before (look back about a week or so - there was a great post on how to sell your car [edit: Just searched - couldn't find it!?]) your objective with the ad is to get the punter to call you. On the phone, your objective is to get them to come see the car. Do not negotiate over the phone. When negotiating, do not drop your price before the punter makes an offer. The person who states a price (apart from your advertised asking price) is at a psychological disadvantage. Make sure it's not you.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You are selling about 12 months too early for me. Something like it would definitely me on my hit list in 12 months. Another "keep for a long time motor".
    Best of luck with the sale. I think it will be a tough sale, it is probably at a funny age/price too, too old for the boys that still have some cash to slpash out on a flash motor, too new for some DIY enthusiasts, if you get what I mean.:confused:

PS If you still have it in 12 months (5 will be paid off) PM me! :D

yeah, i know it may be difficult to sell, im in the happy position that i dont reeally mind, if it does ill get something else interesting, and if not, how bad :D

heres a good one for you and limerick man might be able to back me up on this i have a 2007 lwb landcruiser comm bought it new in may 07 38k i have a plant hire outfit so it has work done 50,000km alot of extras ,but very clean inside and out never abused and serviced on time , went to trade it in was expecting a good deal with present climate, tought garage would be glad of sale but they offered me 12,500 for it on a trade in against the same jeep new again , so that will tell you what the market is like ,im now keeping my landcruiser and i will run it into the ground ,might buy a new one in 2020

I had a 08 LWB Cruiser with low miles and full spec for sale recently for 25k, which was the cheapest in the country. Commercial market is fooked

im just going to hold the landcruiser for a long time ,but i am in the process of updating the car for herself,just looking now for one of them comfortline passats in the uk,

im just going to hold the landcruiser for a long time ,but i am in the process of updating the car for herself,just looking now for one of them comfortline passats in the uk,

You won't find a comfortline in the UK. They use different spec levels like "S", (I don\t know the rest of them)

ya i was just about to ask cause i cant find one ,but i did notice that their basic car is similar to our mid range car why is this

ya i was just about to ask cause i cant find one ,but i did notice that their basic car is similar to our mid range car why is this

For lots of reasons that I couldn't be arsed explaining, but generallly, UK cars are always higher spec'd.

Try get an Se spec. Something with leather and the 2.0TDI engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

For some reason UK Passats dont seem to come with Climate as standard whereas Irish ones from Comfortline do.

UK Specs:
    S - Baseline
    SE - Comfortline
    SEL - Highline (Think Highline was available in the UK for a while too)
    Sport - Sportline

Bugger - its reserved now but this one is really nice. Dont think I've ever seen this colour in Ireland either

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=9866

Advertisement