Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

slave1 wrote: »
    @LimerickMan
    Scenic, I actually like those deep wine red/purple colours so color is in the eye....I would have thought a price reduction of €2.5k+ tax for 10months is well priced

Avensis pics I can replace, in work 6 days so can only get them on a good Sunday, they're laying pipes across the road and the whole estate is covered in dust, I did not notice any €11.8k Avensis out there when pricing it, considering the mileage, tax so again thought it was priced well, with significant warranty remaining a garage price should not be that much of a premium

Well get it cleaned and then take different pictures. Just bring it to a car wash and get snaps straight after. Its a pity you are only off one day a week but buyers don't care, you're wasting your time with the pictures you have. Go onto carzone, pick the avensis that YOU would buy based on the quality of the ad, then match those pics. Here's one, has decent pictures from all sides.

Advertisements come down to 2 things.

1. Price
    2. Presentation

Sellers delude themselves by pricing car on how much they want, not how much they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

@LimerickMan
    Scenic, I actually like those deep wine red/purple colours so color is in the eye....I would have thought a price reduction of €2.5k+ tax for 10months is well priced

Avensis pics I can replace, in work 6 days so can only get them on a good Sunday, they're laying pipes across the road and the whole estate is covered in dust, I did not notice any €11.8k Avensis out there when pricing it, considering the mileage, tax so again thought it was priced well, with significant warranty remaining a garage price should not be that much of a premium

I don't remember asking before?

Sorry I'm dreaming, I can remeber you asking before, but my mind probably made it up. Lol @ the price reduction of 2.5k. If the Scenic was 20k, a price reduction of 13k doesn't make the car cheap, it's still dear.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Scenic/Dynamiqu/200912192174429/advert

Serviced, new tires, NCT and an easier colour to sell (IMO, as yours is the first Scenic I've come across in that colour, and it's just not to my taste). So ya...

The fact that you could get your model Avensis new, in diesel, for 19,995. Take off two years depriciation, and English imports and so I on.

I'm fairly sure you could get this for 10,250 or 10k even. Again, private sale.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/1.6-VVT-/200910192067188/advert

Any of the garages on carzone, I'd say you would be able to get an Avensis off them for 12k straight deal.

It's up to yourself how you price and where you market your cars. But a lazy attitude towards selling, won't reap any sales. If you want quick sales, you need to offer value for money, which IMO, you're not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Scenic, I was offered €6.5 on a trade in so won't be dropping to €5k, that's the dynamic so lower spec, similar NCT, no tax I presume, great price though for anyone, I must go and look up when the tyres were changed and throw that info up, had another look at carzone and a new scenic sport has popped up at €6k with + 13k miles and no tax so that does changes things a bit as I was going off the next nearest which was at €9.5k earlier in the week, will prob. need to think about trade-in more now

Avensis, I phoned a load of garages from Carzone and CBG that had Strata's with similar mileage/condition and have priced the car at the lowest cash price that they offered to me, with road tax and warranty I would believe that's good positioning, I'm the cheapest Strata under 35k mileage on Carzone. I did see that company car @ €10.5k but it's soooo under the rest of the market pricing, sometimes things are too good to be true....

Anyhow, tks for feedback, I've replaced all pictures and will see how things go, one things for sure it's a buyers market out there so enjoy it all

Over and out,
    S1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Scenic, I was offered €6.5 on a trade in so won't be dropping to €5k

There's your answer so:rolleyes:, take the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Right, my Megane's been for sale for three months now and I've had no interest apart from someone wanting to swap their Fiesta and two very dodgy emails.

Here is the ad on Autotrader

I've been reducing the price steadily over the last month. Is it still too expensive or is the ad rubbish or what?

Any tips appreciated!

Cheers R.

• Advertisement

Is there any movement going on in the car market at all, or is everyone going North? I helped my Mam to get a car up there last month!

My 04 Megane's been for sale for three months now and I've had absolutely no interest apart from someone wanting to swap their Fiesta and two very dodgy emails.

Here is the ad on Autotrader. It's on CBG, Carzone etc as well..

I've been reducing the price steadily over the last month. Is it still too expensive or is the ad rubbish or what? What price do you think it needs to be to sell?

Any tips appreciated!

Cheers R.

(PS I did post this on the help selling my car thread but got no response)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Post the CBG link because the autotrader one isn't working.

To be honest, a Megane is a hard sale at the best of times. It will need to be almost ridiculously cheap

Ok it should be working now :)

Just how cheap do I need to go :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Just an idea - Year newer from a dealer with a warranty (3 door addmitedly but were they not more expensive? and it's got leather)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/Dynamiqu/200913192259960/advert

Year newer - full leather, cheaper and dealer

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.4-full/200912192199604/advert

I'd be thinking of knocking at least a grand to 1500 of your one:o

Yeah I've just been looking at similar ones - they have seriously come down in price!

Just made another reduction.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

As a salesman we see this all the time. Customers will always under value what they are buying and over value what they are selling. This year the problem is being made worse because people are buying UK cars at UK prices but then think nobody else knows this and still value their car at what were Irish prices. You might not sell that car for a year the way things are at the moment but if you want any chance of getting rid quickly then I suggest you put it up €500 cheaper that the next cheapest one on Carzone. Only thing is it might only be the cheapest for a week such is the impact of UK cars on prices and the current economic climate at the moment.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    As a salesman we see this all the time. Customers will always under value what they are buying and over value what they are selling. This year the problem is being made worse because people are buying UK cars at UK prices but then think nobody else knows this and still value their car at what were Irish prices. You might not sell that car for a year the way things are at the moment but if you want any chance of getting rid quickly then I suggest you put it up €500 cheaper that the next cheapest one on Carzone. Only thing is it might only be the cheapest for a week such is the impact of UK cars on prices and the current economic climate at the moment.

Agreed. I sell/wheel&deal and notice that punters also think that when they got a car in the Uk for £10k or whatever + VRT., thats what its worth + a premium they'll add (a figure from the sky).
    Never mind ferries,fuel,food,sundries, then service items,labour to prep car for the market etc etc.
    When you tell them how it is (in the real world) and the state of the trade, the invariable answer is - We'll, its worth it and I'll get it elsewhere" - LOL
    Or "I'll drive it into the ground" - ......................................

.............................................................................................and in my mind I say - I SALUTE YOU SIR/MADAM - GO FORTH AND DRIVE IT FOREVER!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ruatha wrote: »
    Yeah I've just been looking at similar ones - they have seriously come down in price!

Just made another reduction.......

I think you'll need to drop the price right down to sell it tbh. I would imagine the 4 door in that car would be more popular, the 3 door might be even harder to sell.

Dealers have '04 Megane's at around €4950, cash buyers could probably get that down lower:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.4-Dyna/200911192151084/advert
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.4/200911192154685/advert

Even a Renault dealer is around that price:
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/16V-Dyna/200912192222289/advert

The cheapest private one with low miles is this one @ €4600, so if you want to get rid of it, I'd go in at €4495 with yours.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/Sport/200910192045275/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Put my motor on Adverts.ie today - I'd be interested to get some feedback re level of detail and price. Its an 04 Mondeo TDCi, 130bhp with the 6-speed manual.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=103756&cat=2

I think it's a hell of a lot of car for the money - private sales on Carzone for similar motors (nb not the 6-speed which, in the UK anyway, fetches a decent premium) range from the guts of 9k through to 4k, which is a v. high miler.

All feedback appreciated.

Thought I'd regurgitate this - my car sold on first viewing:). There are still people out there who want to buy if you price realistically.

Thought I'd regurgitate this - my car sold on first viewing:). There are still people out there who want to buy if you price realistically.

Great stuff, thought as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Evertonia

I am trying to sell my car. I have put it up on the free add website below. I was wondering where is the best place to put up my add. All advice welcome on how to improve add welcome!

Thanks.

http://www.whatcar.ie/usedcardetail.php?id=143511

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Evertonia wrote: »
    I am trying to sell my car. I have put it up on the free add website below. I was wondering where is the best place to put up my add. All advice welcome on how to improve add welcome!

Thanks.

http://www.whatcar.ie/usedcardetail.php?id=143511

I'd start by trying to take better photos, the weather tha day was too dull, try and do it on a brighter day when the car is shining especially with a colour like that. Also try having a nicer background, take the car to a nice area. At least one photo of the interior is advisable also.

Things to note:

That colour is either a love it or hate it colour so this will limit it's appeal to a certain extent. I would also start dropping the price to €3,500 ono and see what kind of interest you get. The market is dead at the moment so if you get any offers over €3k give it serious consideration as prices are dropping by the day.

The good thing are that the 3 door Corolla is popular with young lads who like to modify them.

You could also put it up on the motors section of www.adverts.ie which is the sister site of this forum. It is also free.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The good thing are that the 3 door Corolla is popular with young lads who like to modify them.

Indeed - and drop the price to 2495 to get a sale OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I can't believe I'm still trying to sell this car...

Looking to sell my Audi A3. Link here:

http://www.cartrades.ie/search.php?carid=442

(I need to update this ad, it's been there a while, but having trouble logging in to the site - the current mileage is c. 45000 miles, it's just been taxed for 12 months and it's NCT is up to date - expires december 2010)

Open to any reasonable offers. I imported it from the UK last summer.

Anyone offer any advice on getting rid of this motor? What sort of money do you think I'll get for it?

IS ANYTHING SELLING AT ALL???

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Ive been looking for an A3 for a while now. Yours is very clean with great pics and a nice spec. The reasons i wouldn't buy it is because i'm looking for a 2.0 tdi 3 door in any colour but red. A black A3 2.0tdi with 60k on the clock and a nice spec sold for 12,500 yesterday so clearly there are still buyers out there if you price realistically. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Hi. Trying to add photos of my car to the ad, but it won't let me. Keeps saying the file is too big. Took them with a normal digital camera. Does anyone know how to reduce dimensions of photo so it will work??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭suzi-suz

slookie wrote: »
    Hi. Trying to add photos of my car to the ad, but it won't let me. Keeps saying the file is too big. Took them with a normal digital camera. Does anyone know how to reduce dimensions of photo so it will work??

you could try downloading a resizer frm the net or there are some you can use online what site are you trying to upload them 2? most sites take the big pic and resize them automatically

Ok got my ad up with pics eventually. Any advice appreciated.

http://adverts.ie/103102

Hi Slookie,
    Question; your ad says "Price reduced to sell as I have bought another car privately, so need to sell fast. €7200 or make an offer. No reasonable offer refused"

Sound a bit desperate - no one is going to give you anywhere near an asses roar of 7k.
    Drop your price now not to perlong the pain. I can buy this car trade for sub 4.5 k money all day long. Think long and hard on your pricing.

What sort of money do you think I'll get for it? IS ANYTHING SELLING AT ALL???

The price you'll get is what the market dictates - and right now, not what you want or anyone wants for that matter.
    And after todays financial fiasco, car sales are doomed for the ****ter for a long time to come.:confused:

Hi Slookie,
    Question; your ad says "Price reduced to sell as I have bought another car privately, so need to sell fast. €7200 or make an offer. No reasonable offer refused"

Sound a bit desperate - no one is going to give you anywhere near an asses roar of 7k.
    Drop your price now not to perlong the pain. I can buy this car trade for sub 4.5 k money all day long. Think long and hard on your pricing.

Cheapest one on carzone with same mileage is €6750...so I'm definitely not that overpriced. Cheapest Strata after that us €7600. I understand u can buy trade at 4.5 but you still sell at 7,500 or 8000.

Hi Slookie,

I think you know well that what you can pay in the trade will completely differ from that at which you can sell it for. It may not be worth 7.2, but it'll definitly make 6-6.5k.

I think you know well that what you can pay in the trade will completely differ from that at which you can sell it for. It may not be worth 7.2, but it'll definitly make 6-6.5k.

duh @ LM:p
    and no it won't make that money.
    my point is OP, is that you are going to take a dive on this @ the end of the day, take it now,slash your price and get the sale in the "avensis for sale" market, make it happend or it'll just sit there losing money by the day in a market thats completely and utterly fecked.

duh @ LM:p
    and no it won't make that money.
    my point is OP, is that you are going to take a dive on this @ the end of the day, take it now,slash your price and get the sale in the "avensis for sale" market, make it happend or it'll just sit there losing money by the day in a market thats completely and utterly fecked.

Sold a 02 Corolla saloon with 80k on it for 5k recently, and a 06 Avensis diesel for 11,500, and a 04 petrol won't make 6k? I don't agree with you, again. I think your caught up in this whole recession thing, you don't have to make the car the cheapest in the country by 2k for it to sell. I'm in no mood for argueing, I just think your prices are a wee bit off.

• Advertisement

Sold a 02 Corolla saloon with 80k on it for 5k recently, and a 06 Avensis diesel for 11,500, and a 04 petrol won't make 6k? I don't agree with you, again. I think your caught up in this whole recession thing, you don't have to make the car the cheapest in the country by 2k for it to sell. I'm in no mood for argueing, I just think your prices are a wee bit off.

LM, I'm not here to argue with you either- and I think you've got your pricing arseways in many cases - so we'll beg to differ. I dont give a monkeys what pricing you place on whatever nor do i comment on yours, but you seem to always comment on my thinking/comments/pricing.
    If you don't want to agrue, then don't post in reply to me. I've been in the game years, live in the real world and have been through 2 recessions selling metal,i know my game.
    Here's what you can to do - not reply to my posts or give opinions on my posts. Simple.
    Then we don't have to listen to you going on.:p

Advertisement