Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Il agree with Limerick man. I had an offer last week for 7, but his own sale fell through at the last minute. It will sell at this price....no need to drop it to 4k or whatever u were saying. I paid €15k for this car exactly 2 years ago...a bargain at the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

slookie wrote: »
    Il agree with Limerick man. I had an offer last week for 7, but his own sale fell through at the last minute. It will sell at this price....no need to drop it to 4k or whatever u were saying. I paid €15k for this car exactly 2 years ago...a bargain at the time!!

Just as a help

Lower mileage, cheaper

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/200913192260169/advert

This car is similar to yours - could easily get it for 7200 plus you will have a dealer warranty on it

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/1.6-STRA/200914192341405/advert

I think you would need to lower your price to match the 1st one TBH, just because one person wanted to buy it doesn't mean that another buyer will come along as quickly again. You could buy this car new at the start of this year for 20k remember with the deals they were doing and it is one of the hardest cars around to sell at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've this up a week now and not a single contact... I'll probably drop to €1,450 this week, to be competitive with what else is on offer:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Carisma/GLX/200914192344290/advert

Otherwise though, how is the ad? Can anyone think of anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

Any one any opinions on this?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/1.8-LX--/200913192276026/advert

thanks for any replies!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I agree with LM on the pricing of that Avensis. I'd imagine 6-6.5k isnt a million miles out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

I agree with LM on the pricing of that Avensis. I'd imagine 6-6.5k isnt a million miles out.

Thank you...the way some people go on here, they want you to give your car away for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LM, I'm not here to argue with you either- and I think you've got your pricing arseways in many cases - so we'll beg to differ. I dont give a monkeys what pricing you place on whatever nor do i comment on yours, but you seem to always comment on my thinking/comments/pricing.
    If you don't want to agrue, then don't post in reply to me. I've been in the game years, live in the real world and have been through 2 recessions selling metal,i know my game.
    Here's what you can to do - not reply to my posts or give opinions on my posts. Simple.
    Then we don't have to listen to you going on.:p

You buy your 04 Avensis for sub 4.5k, you then clean it up, throw on your margin and I assume you allow for a warranty, what's your retail? If i know some one looking to buy an Avensis, they don't ring their friends in the trade, because they don't have them. They go onto the likes of carzone, and although they may be priced dearer, I'm afraid that is where people get their prices, and that's where people buy.

So I'm Johnny Public, I'm not going to the UK for an Avensis because I don't like the idea of it. I have a my heart set on a 04 Avensis. Where do I get one for 4500? Cheapest to me seems to be around 6-7k? Which is the max of my budget. Where do I get one

You may be in the trade, but the people on here are private sellers. Trade prices, which you always quote, are completely irrelevant. I can get a 02 diesel Highline Golf for 3k, that doesn't mean it's worth 3k. I know 99 petrol that are making 2.5-3k.

You buy your 04 Avensis for sub 4.5k, you then clean it up, throw on your margin and I assume you allow for a warranty, what's your retail? If i know some one looking to buy an Avensis, they don't ring their friends in the trade, because they don't have them. They go onto the likes of carzone, and although they may be priced dearer, I'm afraid that is where people get their prices, and that's where people buy.

So I'm Johnny Public, I'm not going to the UK for an Avensis because I don't like the idea of it. I have a my heart set on a 04 Avensis. Where do I get one for 4500? Cheapest to me seems to be around 6-7k? Which is the max of my budget. Where do I get one?

Answer is you cant unless you know someone in the trade. In turn this means you more than likely wont have a warranty, and the car wont be cleaned.

Answer is you cant unless you know someone in the trade. In turn this means you more than likely wont have a warranty, and the car wont be cleaned.

And you end up paying ______ for the Avensis?

And you end up paying ______ for the Avensis?

If you buy as i outlined above, you'll still end up paying at least 5 grand for it. Your pal in the trade isnt that big a pal with you to give you the car for nothing.

Then, you'll have to service it, so there's another €250-300 on top. Your now up to €5300.

It may need tyres, so at a minimum of two, thats another €200. Now up to €5500.

A valet if the car is really bad will cost you another €120, so thats €5620.

If you were worried about something going wrong with the car, a 6 month warranty will cost you around €300.

Thats a total of €5920.

You might save a few hundred quid, but why bother? Look at the hardship and time you've gone through to get it?

• Advertisement

If you buy as i outlined above, you'll still end up paying at least 5 grand for it. Your pal in the trade isnt that big a pal with you to give you the car for nothing.

Then, you'll have to service it, so there's another €250-300 on top. Your now up to €5300.

It may need tyres, so at a minimum of two, thats another €200. Now up to €5500.

A valet if the car is really bad will cost you another €120, so thats €5620.

If you were worried about something going wrong with the car, a 6 month warranty will cost you around €300.

Thats a total of €5920.

You might save a few hundred quid, but why bother? Look at the hardship and time you've gone through to get it?

And your friend in the trade sees that they can't be got for much cheaper than 6.5k and adds another few hundred on to it. Ya, my prices are always "arseways" :rolleyes:

The car can be bought in the trade for €4500, but remember what work will have to be done to it to get it into a retailable condition Niceirishfella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ya, my prices are always "arseways" :rolleyes:

LOL - you said it all Gary.:D

ninkynonk wrote: »
    Any one any opinions on this?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/1.8-LX--/200913192276026/advert

thanks for any replies!:D

Are you buying or selling it? It's about 2.5-3k over priced.

LOL - you said it all Gary.:D

I was sleepy last night. I'd rather an arguement at this moment in time for you to prove your allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

What sites do you think I should be advertising on?

Currently I've got the car on Carzone & its affiliates, adverts.ie, and buy&sell.

I got a call from CBG offering a deal to put it online & in the magazine.
    Is it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

hello again lads , this time ive decided to sell my old 2.8 trooper, i just want to know would it be worth my while advertising it, and what is she worth, 1991 105,000miles, commercial lwb, great engine, good tires, body is perfect no rust, i know myself that members of the farming community would show an interest in it, but i dont want to put anyone off by asking london for it

I was sleepy last night. I'd rather an arguement at this moment in time for you to prove your allegations.

Gary,
    I'm not up for it - could'nt be arsed with you. You know it all - you're never wrong - you have an opinion on everything and don't take being wrong easily.
    Why bother withcha.:rolleyes:

Come on Irishfella, just take it on the chin that your wrong on this one.....;)

@ Leitrim Lad, i'd say you'd be blessed to get €1000 euro for her. She's an 18 year old jeep, which makes it older than my brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ya i was expecting something around that drummerboy, shes horrid reliable and i didnt want putting people off asking big money, im told and i know my self they were the best of the troopers along with the 3.1

• Advertisement

Gary,
    I'm not up for it - could'nt be arsed with you. You know it all - you're never wrong - you have an opinion on everything and don't take being wrong easily.
    Why bother withcha.:rolleyes:

Listen,

I've argued with you twice before, and both times you've lost. It's very simple, I have absolutely no problem admitting when I'm wrong. I don't see any point in fighting something if I knew I was wrong, because I don't get a kick out of arguing, I don't argue with people. But you always seem to have no point in your arguement, and you can't come back with a proper answer. You try to bring me down by firstly calling me by my name (and on that, it's Limerick man, to you), calling me names such as "grasshopper" and indicating that you have been in the trade for many, many years, when clearly that has no relevance as the prices you give people on here are not suited. Also you send me pm's to try and "calm me down",saying the likes of "Breath in, out, in out, Gary" (again using my name to try and make it look like you are something above me), when infact you get a kick out of it, and in turn it calms you down. Any time I put an arguement to you, you just blow it off.

@Mods, it's the basis on which niceirishfella is getting his pricing from, when advising the public is what I'm looking for, I'm not looking to have a shouting match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

In peoples opinion, when advertising, is it best to advertise:
    1) at a price, (oh I don't know, say, 600 quid ;) ) above your absolute rock bottom and entertain offers, or
    2) just throw down the rock bottom and state in the advert "no offers"?

Willing to accept the rock bottom tbh, been for sale for too long and I'm willing to take a loss...

cianclarke wrote: »
    1) at a price, (oh I don't know, say, 600 quid ;) ) above your absolute rock bottom and entertain offers, or

Willing to accept the rock bottom tbh, been for sale for too long and I'm willing to take a loss...

I would advertise slightly over what you will accept for the car.

That way, it makes the pontential buyer feel like you are really looking after them if you give them a little off.

Also, people in Ireland seem to expect money off a car, so if you advertise your car at rock bottom, people will still expect some kind of discount. Doing that would leave you between a rock and a hard place.

@Mods, it's the basis on which niceirishfella is getting his pricing from, when advising the public is what I'm looking for, I'm not looking to have a shouting match.

ehhhhh, i told you not to reply to me previously. I don't want to converse with you LM. You're the one here shouting?:confused: Clam down.
    I'll post what i want to post - you are not a mod nor do you know it all which you think you do - and ohhh, by the way, you won nothing previously, nothing, its all in your head.There's nothing to prove here, puff your chest all you like and thank everyone all you like - nothing changes.Do not reply to me going forwards.... understand!. :D

ya i was expecting something around that drummerboy, shes horrid reliable and i didnt want putting people off asking big money, im told and i know my self they were the best of the troopers along with the 3.1

LL, 1k will do prefect, its a small outlay for a good old 4x4, better than the current or subsequent ****boxes.
    At that kind of money, you'll move her on.
    Target - Adverts.ie, and buy and sell, and donedeal.ie
    Leave her in a mart yard on mart day with a big for sale sign, asking price and mobile no and I bet you'll get a few calls/texts.:)

Best of luck

ehhhhh, i told you not to reply to me previously. I don't want to converse with you LM. You're the one here shouting?:confused: Clam down.
    I'll post what i want to post - you are not a mod nor do you know it all which you think you do - and ohhh, by the way, you won nothing previously, nothing, its all in your head.There's nothing to prove here, puff your chest all you like and thank everyone all you like - nothing changes.Do not reply to me going forwards.... understand!. :D

Oh yes, very grown up of you. Role model so you are. I hope you don't have to cry yourself to sleep now, it's only the internet.:rolleyes:

Don't try the "no offers" thing, it never works. Add 250 or 500 to the price, and just have that in your head as your margin. If they ask you what you'll take for it, don't give them a price, make them make you an offer. It could work in your favour that the offer they make you is higher than what you were going to make them. The joy of selling a car is the bargaining :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi lads,

I've a 2000 Corolla, 1.4 Vvti, 92000 miles on it. NCT until late 2010. Taxed until June this year.

What kind of money is something like this realistically going to sell for?

On Carzone this,

this,

this and

this are all similar but dealers have them priced at between 3k and 4k. Is that mental or what?

Is yours a saloon? Can't see why it wouldn't make 2250-2.5k, adertised at 2750.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

#2 for me, but don't mention "no offers". If you have a good clean car for sale, and have it well priced, then people will pay what you ask once you get them out to see it. It's worked for me the couple of times I've sold cars privately. Didn't budge on either.

Advertisement