Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

PauloMN wrote: »
    #2 for me, but don't mention "no offers". If you have a good clean car for sale, and have it well priced, then people will pay what you ask once you get them out to see it. It's worked for me the couple of times I've sold cars privately. Didn't budge on either.
    Hm, differing advice! I've got 8 days left on the advert. I think what i'll do is leave it be for a few days, see if I get even ONE call, and then drop to rock bottom for 4/3 days.
    Cheapest on Carzone by €1,400 at the moment!
    I'm quite tempted to just drop the top, put up signs and park up outside Wheelans / Stevens Green on a sunny evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

cianclarke wrote: »
    Hm, differing advice! I've got 8 days left on the advert. I think what i'll do is leave it be for a few days, see if I get even ONE call, and then drop to rock bottom for 4/3 days.
    Cheapest on Carzone by €1,400 at the moment!
    I'm quite tempted to just drop the top, put up signs and park up outside Wheelans / Stevens Green on a sunny evening...

8 days? Drop the price! If you have to give a full tank of petrol with the car at your rock bottom price it'll be the same as putting up another advert!! (Make sure the car has no petrol in it first, lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Oh yes, very grown up of you. Role model so you are. I hope you don't have to cry yourself to sleep now, it's only the internet.:rolleyes:

FFs, let it go LM, you need to get out more - and please, don't reply to me anymore as pointed out by me previously. I'm not interested in what you have to say, like many.

FFs, let it go LM, you need to get out more - and please, don't reply to me anymore as pointed out by me previously. I'm not interested in what you have to say, like many.

When you don't pass an insult, and admit to being wrong, then I'll stop.

Mods, I'm not rising to this above post.

On Topic, Nkay, 2.5k for a sale. Not a bad seller the toyota carolla esp @ that kinda layout. I've sold a few quickly @ that price.
    Market it well, with a twist, like Free tank of fuel on collection or something small that gets attention. It workds ya know to stand out just a bit.

• Advertisement

So 2.5 for a 00 Corrola and four and a half for a four years newer avensis?:confused:

Mods, please note the above...........more if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Hmm, have to agree with L_M on this v's Nice....don't know wither of em from Adam tho.
    NiceIrishfella is one of those sorts who post things and then cannot back them up so resort to low-brow retorts.
    Pity really...but it takes all sorts.
    Anyway, g'luck all selling yer cars in ths climate...you just gotta lower and lower again yer prices to sell a car, that's what we did a while back with a crappy Punto!
    It's a buyers market and we're all in it.

I don't see the problem? It's a question on a public forum that you won't answer? If you won't back up what you say, well don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

I don't see the problem? It's a question on a public forum that you won't answer? If you won't back up what you say, well don't post.

Couldn't agree more.
    Be sincere with yer posts and backup what u say and don't go cry when someone asks u to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Stop it !!

Both of you!

You are making my head hurt :mad:

Infraction for niceirishfella for backseat modding

now ...everybody back on topic

Agreed - it's been two hours since I dropped the price significantly. Why haven't I sold yet? :(

Agreed - it's been two hours since I dropped the price significantly. Why haven't I sold yet? :(

Ohh ya, I forgot you have the convertible. Current weather + 2.0 petrol + weekend (non daily car) = A recipe for a hard sale. You need the right buyer, IMo, not any buyer. How many people go in and look for a 98 Saab 93? And then how many people go in to look for a 98 Saab 93 convertible?

Have you advertised on Saab owners forums?

Perfect daily car :P Nah see your point.
    I haven't, and am now going to go do that - cheers, good advice as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Is yours a saloon? Can't see why it wouldn't make 2250-2.5k, adertised at 2750.

On Topic, Nkay, 2.5k for a sale. Not a bad seller the toyota carolla esp @ that kinda layout. I've sold a few quickly @ that price.
    Market it well, with a twist, like Free tank of fuel on collection or something small that gets attention. It workds ya know to stand out just a bit.

Well that's not a bad price at all the way things are at the moment. If I do decide to sell it, I'll be back to ye for help with the ad. Thanks lads.

Perfect daily car :P Nah see your point.
    I haven't, and am now going to go do that - cheers, good advice as always!

I'll pass it around anyway. You've tried all the free sites you have? Buyandsell.ie, carsireland (I think is free)?

As your looking for a particular buyer, not just anyone, I think you shouldn't reduce the price any further, as a lower price isn't going to help it sell as such. Confusing I know. Some one will see it and like it, then leave them bargain with you on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think you should not reduce the price any further, as a lower price isn't going to help it sell as such.
    FYP.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    FYP.

Thanks, dodgey keyboard, so it is:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I searched for the "help me sell my car" thread but I couldn't find it. My next motor is on the horizon and I'd like to shift the Golf. Can the ever-knowledgable boards Motors community do me a favour and see what my car is worth?

Similar examples on Carzone range from €5500 to €2500, although I'll take those figures with a pinch of salt.

Details:
    • Volkswagen Golf 1.4 Comfortline
    • Taxed and NCT'd
    • 00 - D - XXXXX
    • 53853 miles
    • 3 owners
    • 5 doors
    • petrol
    • a few minor scuffs around the front bumper (as can be expected with a nearly ten year old car - and honestly, they were there when I bought it!)
    • battery replaced Nov 08

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

dscf1197.jpgdscf1181.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd be thinking around €3500, lack of alloys might attract less buyers. The present climate is hard to sell a car, I wouldn't start knocking the price down and down until you get a buyer, if the right person wants it they will always pay a fair price for it. You have it nicely presented though, makes a big difference when selling if it looks like you actually bothered your ar$e cleaning the car. Do you have a service history with it, that might help when selling if you mention it, also take off the L plates for the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Id say about 2500euro to 3000euro. Id start asking price at about 3500 and see if you get any calls.

I was thinking a simliar price alright, might even go €3750, it can always be dropped. The L-plates are well and truly off, the pics are just old ones although the car looks the exact same. I've taken care of it in that it's barely been driven but is still well looked after - I like my cars.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll sort an ad out for it on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Vain wrote: »
    Id say about 2500euro to 3000euro. Id start asking price at about 3500 and see if you get any calls.

+1 one to that price range anyway. The car looks well even without the alloys, i know i'm a learning to drive mod, but for pictures for an ad i'd definitely take down the L plates. It could put people off the car as they may think it's been thrashed.
    When was the nct done and how much tax is left on it?
    Good luck with the sale by the way!

+1 one to that price range anyway. The car looks well even without the alloys, i know i'm a learning to drive mod, but for pictures for an ad i'd definitely take down the L plates. It could put people off the car as they may think it's been thrashed.
    When was the nct done and how much tax is left on it?
    Good luck with the sale by the way!

Cheers Alanstrainor,

NCT until 07/10
    Tax until 07/09

I'll hang on until tomorrow to take more pics with the revised mileage and without the L-plates instead of treading the treacherous waters of photoshop for the sake of a few hours of advertising. Just took some night-time snaps there, one thing I'll miss for sure is the VW dials at night :(

dscf1213c.jpg

Here ya go.

Untitled-1copy-5.jpg

Where are the adds? Throw the links up to them instead. Is there an FSH to back up the mileage?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I would:

- Stick it up for €2950.
    - Blacken the tyres and retake the exterior shots (sounds minor but has a big subconcious effect). Maybe give it a wax also.
    - Take a few shots of a spotless interior.
    - DON'T MASK THE REG!!!! It just puts people off.
    - Mention the service history, timing belt etc. that's been done.

Are those marks on the corner of the bumper or reflections? If marks, they might buff out if they are not actually scratches. Worth a try anyway.

Give exact details of the tax and NCT in the ad. I assume you have all keys, manuals and documentation for it - will be harder to sell without. Some people take a separate photo of those things for the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

those scuffs should polish out, try some meguirs scratch x ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Here ya go.

Untitled-1copy-5.jpg

Where are the adds? Throw the links up to them instead. Is there an FSH to back up the mileage?

Tempted.....:pac:

Here ya go.

You are a saint, although I haven't actually made an ad for it yet, I want to do everything right with all the right info and pics. Might even do a draft or two, it might sound silly and it'll take time but I want to show her off right! Not too sure about the FSH (which I should have taken note of when I bought the car in the first place, but I rushed it :rolleyes:). The dealer from whom the car was bought is a client of my father so I can find out easily enough and avoid having to deal with someone slippery.
    PauloMN wrote: »
    I would:

- Stick it up for €2950.
    - Blacken the tyres and retake the exterior shots (sounds minor but has a big subconcious effect). Maybe give it a wax also.
    - Take a few shots of a spotless interior.
    - DON'T MASK THE REG!!!! It just puts people off.
    - Mention the service history, timing belt etc. that's been done.

Are those marks on the corner of the bumper or reflections? If marks, they might buff out if they are not actually scratches. Worth a try anyway.

Give exact details of the tax and NCT in the ad. I assume you have all keys, manuals and documentation for it - will be harder to sell without. Some people take a separate photo of those things for the ad.

Thanks for the tips. I do want to take completely new pics, but with the weather being so shíte it's impossible to get washing and waxing it and get seeing the car in a bit of decent light, the green is quite bright in direct sunlight and I'd like to display that.
    Any recommendations for how to treat the blackness of the tyres?
    The marks on the front bumper are slight scrapes which I'll try get rid of myself to help my chances of the selling the thing in this climate.
    I do have all keys etc., nothing pertaining to the car has ever been misplaced by me since owning it. Good idea with taking a picture of the documents.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    those scuffs should polish out, try some meguirs scratch x ;)

Looks the business alright, I assume any motor factors will have it?
    inforfun wrote: »
    Tempted.....:pac:

Get back to me in a day or two when I have her looking her true self :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

qz wrote: »
    Get back to me in a day or two when I have her looking her true self :)

I will definitely keep an eye out on this thread

Advertisement