Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help selling car - please! (all similar threads go in here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Evertonia wrote: »
    I have been looking at 2008 Vw Golfs and they seem to work out €3,000 cheaper to buy in UK!

No, you are missing my point. In very short terms, the money you save on importing the car, you may end up coming out worse when you end up stuck with your previous car.

Ie.
    You have a 06 Vw Polo, at the time you import it's worth 14k. You see a car in te UK that's 3k cheaper than any car over here. So you buy it, with the eye to selling your own privately. You bring it home, VRT it and start driving it. 4 months pass, prices of the Polo have come down, you now find yourself stuck for money and desperate to sell. The Polo is now advertised at 11k, with a hope to get 10,500. + the advertising for the last four months and the time you've wasted with potential customers who didn't buy. You add in the cost of travel etc. etc. etc. Now the 3k you "saved" isn't much of a saving is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Evertonia

I take your point Limerick Man. This will not affect me as much i hope as the car i'll be selling privately will be a 2001 Corolla and will only be looking for about 3k for it to cover VRT on Golf!

Evertonia wrote: »
    I take your point Limerick Man. This will not affect me as much i hope as the car i'll be selling privately will be a 2001 Corolla and will only be looking for about 3k for it to cover VRT on Golf!

Aye I understand that. Just a number of people are finding themselves stuck with higher costing cars. Alot more people are reaping the benifits though, ridding of their car first, and making big savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

And the fact the car he kept rather than trading in, was worth more than it was at the start of the year and now he's finding he has to keep dropping the price and it won't sell. Therefore loosing money on that, maybe it doesn't add up after all.

Exactly as you say, realisticly you should sell you're car here before buying a replacement in the UK. In my case though, you couldn't get the spec I have here (or at least I've not seen it) plus I don't owe money for either car plus I wasn't intending on selling it as I was going to be taking it.

So I suppose I really need to find out the trade in value?
    If say a garage would give me €6k for it, and they had a car I want for €22k then its €16k to change.
    But if I sell it for €6k private, and the garage would sell me the car I want for €20k then its only €14k to change.
    PS I'm basing the €22k & €20k on a car I looked at, never told the garage what I'd be trading, but they're the prices he gave me.

Can I just drive into a garage and ask how much they'll give me for my car or will they offer different values depending on which car I want?

lafors wrote: »
    Can I just drive into a garage and ask how much they'll give me for my car or will they offer different values depending on which car I want?

Generally you'd pick the car you want and get a price against it. I wouldn't give you a price to trade your car, as I could be keen to sell some yokes and not so keen on others. If you get me. Find two similar cars, and find out the cost to change on both. You'll be able to compare prices that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Generally you'd pick the car you want and get a price against it. I wouldn't give you a price to trade your car, as I could be keen to sell some yokes and not so keen on others. If you get me. Find two similar cars, and find out the cost to change on both. You'll be able to compare prices that way.

I thought as much, I wouldn't expect him show their hand, as you say he might want rid of something so give a better price if mine is more saleable for him than what he's getting rid of. I guess I'll go to the garages that have the car I want and see what they'll give me, then try to sell it privately for the same. Cheers LM

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

First price drop, now asking €3000. I want to get this shifted so I can move onto the 156! So offers please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

qz wrote: »
    First price drop, now asking €3000. I want to get this shifted so I can move onto the 156! So offers please!

REally the 156?? i'd avoid it like the plague- lovely looking car- decent power- Alpha's don't do long lasting car engines imo. The Heads blow on them all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

ninkynonk wrote: »
    REally the 156?? i'd avoid it like the plague- lovely looking car- decent power- Alpha's don't do long lasting car engines imo. The Heads blow on them all the time?

:rolleyes:

WHY YOU ROLLING YOUR EYES? ALPHAS ARE HEAPS OF ****E

• Advertisement

WHY YOU ROLLING YOUR EYES? ALPHAS ARE HEAPS OF ****E

Seriously uninformed. The majority of problems with ALFA's (correct spelling) is people haven't a clue how to treat a car tend to buy a lot of them.

sorry...alfa's. But i know people that have had them and have had serious problems from new. They Are FIAT engines? which are pieces of crap. the interior looks great and they are Designed well- but i've never known someone not to have a problem with them. :D

sorry...alfa's. But i know people that have had them and have had serious problems from new. They Are FIAT engines? which are pieces of crap. the interior looks great and they are Designed well- but i've never known someone not to have a problem with them. :D

The door is that-a-way
    >>>>> DOOR

Older FIAT engines require a common sensical approach to looking after them. If they are looked after they are reliable (as any car will be). Fost 04/05 FIAT's are among the most reliable cars on the road, but even before this date there are plenty of 156's doing the rounds at mileages well above 100k miles and still running like new.

A lot of FIATs bad reputation in recent years has been people buying on a shoe string and not being able to afford the upkeep of the car. Headgasket issues are not unheard of I admit, but they can certainly be helped along by this.

Imagine how p1ssed off I'd be if I actually owned one!

The door is that-a-way
    >>>>> DOOR

Why?? i just made a comment that the 156 might be a car to avoid. EPM came in laughing like i'd said the world was flat. i just said my opinion on the 156. So whats the problem? your a mod- use your head. People cant have opinions on cars??

Why?? i just made a comment that the 147might be a car to avoid. ELM came in laughing like i'd said the world was flat. i just said my opinion on the 147. So whats the problem? your a mod- use your head. People cant have opinions on cars??

It was a 156 you made a comment on:

EDIT - Just noticed you edited your previous post - if you cant even get the models right...

EPM wrote: »
    It was a 156 you made a comment on:

EDIT - Just noticed you edited your previous post - if you cant even get the models right...

as soon as i posted i realised and changed my post within a minute. Plus if you looked at what i was saying i was talking about all alfa's.

as soon as i posted i realised and changed my post within a minute. Plus if you looked at what i was saying i was talking about all alfa's.

We'll just agree to disagree so;)

Seriously though, these days Alfa's are thoroughly decent cars

EPM wrote: »
    We'll just agree to disagree so;)

Seriously though, these days Alfa's are thoroughly decent cars

Disagree on what? i did say on all alfa's not just 156's and i did change my post within a minute. so nothing to disagree on there.

But i know a mehanic who worked for FIAT in finglas motors- they come back in there droves with problems- alfa's and FIATS. which doesnt say alot for them?

Disagree on what? i did say on all alfa's not just 156's and i did change my post within a minute. so nothing to disagree on there.

But i know a mehanic who worked for FIAT in finglas motors- they come back in there droves with problems- alfa's and FIATS. which doesnt say alot for them?

I meant on Alfa's as a whole. I know you edited your post when you said it the first time.

How long ago did he work there out of interest? I still stand by my comments on maintenance by owners had a lot to do with their troubles

• Advertisement

as far as i know- he still works there its a ford/ Chevrolet garrage now. but it once was a FIAT Garage, to the best of my knowledge.

Why?? i just made a comment that the 156 might be a car to avoid. EPM came in laughing like i'd said the world was flat. i just said my opinion on the 156. So whats the problem? your a mod- use your head. People cant have opinions on cars??

I'm not a mod for this area. And this is a Really need help selling my car thread, not the usual all Alfa's and Fiat are **** thread. The sister has a Punto 7 years, from new, and has not had one single problem with it. (Besides things she incurred herself). I wouldn't go shouting around what everyone tells you or what you heard off Johnny down the pub. This a pointless arguement, and it's pulling this thread off topic, so I'll be proceeding no further in this conversation.;)

Apologies for the pulling off topic bit.

@ qz - any pics of that 20k mile Alfa yet?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

A customer has asked me to help her sell her car (doing the photos and wording the ad, I won't be showing the car or negotiating on her behalf).

I've done up this ad in carzone.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on how to improve it.

Also, I read this blog post recently about using a free blog service to sell your house. I thought it was interesting and decided to do up a similar idea to help her sell her car.
    It's at 02D23384.wordpress.com

What does anyone think - is it worth doing, should I change anything? I like it because I can put in bigger photos than Carzone, and more of them too!

I'll also be listing it on adverts.ie and probably cbg.ie, but want to get the wording correct on the original ad first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on how to improve it.

You don't mention the free bag of spanners under the bonnet :D

And you mentioned it has beige leather twice, lol!

Cheap little car, alot of car for the money. I think the car will sell itself, the advert is only a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

And this is why I ask for help... I'll remove one of the leathers! :)

Do you think I should raise the price?

Lads,

The uncle has asked me to try and find out how much (roughly) he should expect to get for his car as he's moving to France for a while. Its a 2001 E200K with 91k miles, service history and in good enough overall nic (one or two scratches but thats to be expected I suppose). I think he's either the 2nd or 3rd owner.

I was thinking about 5.5-6k way but if anyone has any insight It'd be handy as if it does go up it will be priced to sell as much as possible

Colour? Auto or Manual? I'd say €5,995 would help for a quick sale. If he had time, and it's very clean he could go a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Colour? Auto or Manual? I'd say €5,995 would help for a quick sale. If he had time, and it's very clean he could go a bit more.

I think your about right. A quick check on carzone actually surprised me these were being advertised at 8k+!

€5995 for the manual, and another 500 quid or so if shes auto.

Advertisement