Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Immobiliser tips

Options
  • 12-03-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi

Little help here

I have a Ford Puma 1.4

This morning I left the lights on and the battery went dead.

I noticed at lunch and jumped the car using the car next to me.

The power returned to the car however , i cant turn the thing on as the immobilser is stopping me. The red light on the dash is flasjing as the immobilser does. And the car engine does not even attempt to ignite, it just gives this clicking sound.

The car definitly has power because even the fan can be turned on.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

By the sounds of what your describing, while you now have power (your fan etc working) there still is not enough power to crank the engine. your battery was totally flat so will take a few minutes to charge up to a level where it will turn over. connect it up to another car (left running) and leave it for a few mins. Then try to start your car. Alot of the time this is due to using cheap jump leads which wont carry much current. Thicker ones are much better and will avoid this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's unlikely that the immobiliser is the problem.

Be sure you have as much contact as possible between the jump lead clamps and the battery posts. Nine time out of ten a poor connection is the cause. Try connect the negative lead to bare metal on the engine of the stricken car - this will provide good connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheers lads

I will try this tommorow and let you know how this goes

I will try and bring a bigger battery as well

z:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

are you just connecting it to a battery?? you'll need to connect it to a battery in a running car so that it will give you enough power to "jump over" the immobiliser, your car will have all its electrical features working but you will need more power to turn off your immobiliser, happened me today, left my lights on as well, it happens to me if I leave my lights on for any time at all so was wondering if a bigger/higher rated battery would help

draffodx wrote: »
    are you just connecting it to a battery?? you'll need to connect it to a battery in a running car so that it will give you enough power to "jump over" the immobiliser, your car will have all its electrical features working but you will need more power to turn off your immobiliser, happened me today, left my lights on as well, it happens to me if I leave my lights on for any time at all so was wondering if a bigger/higher rated battery would help

Yeap running, reving the engine, the works the little girl just went click click click.

I will connect her to the jeep tommorow and leave it running for a wee while that should get it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

could be a dud battery then, mine has done it on me a couple of times and the immobiliser turned off when i charged it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

the clicking you are hearing isnt the immobiliser, its the starter trying to operate. as said, ensure good connections and leave it for a few minutes and it should start. when you do get it started take it for a good drive with as few electrics on as possible (use your lights/wipers etc if needed) and this should charge your battery up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Zambia232 wrote: »
    The red light on the dash is flasjing as the immobilser does.

Which light is this? I haven't seen the inside of a Puma, but in the Fiesta from around the same time there's a small triangular light for the immobiliser (I think all fords from around then are similar wrt this). It flashes very quickly for a few seconds (much faster than when off) if you try to start it and the immobiliser stops you (e.g. my Fiesta came with a third key without a chip, and that happens when try it in the ignition). In normal circumstances the light will stay on for a few seconds when starting the car.

If it is flashing quickly when you're trying to start it, there could be something weird going on with the immobiliser...

Thanks for all your tips lads

Basically here was the problem,

I drove the jeep in this morning connected one of its battery's and the car still did not start however on the first time it made a decent attempt and the alarm was able to be switched off.

So I asked the gate house guard whose jumpers cables i was using when was the last time he used them. He said it was some of the lads in the factory borrowed the to jump a forklift.

He remembers cause the cables almost caught fire!!!

On hearing this i drove to the nearest garage , brought a set of cable , hooked the car up and it started first time.

I reckon if this was a who guessed right, Lucifer wins this one.

As cheap/bad leads was the fault

Thanks again lads the response on this was great. especially the reassurance it was not the immobiliser.

Advertisement