Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled Parking Spaces

• 12-03-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

What is the story with people who arent disabled just parking in disabled spaces????

I have really got sick and tired of seeing this. People just pulling into them as they are closest to the shops with no regard for disabled people who need these spaces. Can these idiots not just walk the extra minute to the shop and go park in a normal space.

It happens everywhere as far as i can see but especially in my local tesco which has two disabled spots. Everytime i walk by it the spaces are taken up and not by vehicles with disabled signs up, and also a lot of the time there is someone in the car (why?!?). i feel like just going up and telling them off but im a young guy, dont wanna sound an aul lad, it just annoys me.

What do the rest of you think of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

i think most folk would agree, though i have to say the number of disabled parking spots in most of the car parks are amazing - i would be in favour of removing some of these as most of them are never used, and replacing with mother baby spots.

in saying that it won't make any difference to the muppets that use the spots regardless :rolleyes: - unfortunately i am pretty sure it is not illegal and would be up to, for instance, tesco to enforce it if they even can. it all comes down to common courtesy, which has been raised in another post i think....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Completely agree, its nearly always the case that there are free spaces just an extra couple of metres away anyway so why do they do it?, either ignorance or arrogance, probably the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

chris85 wrote: »
    What is the story with people who arent disabled just parking in disabled spaces????
    As a driver of a disabled person, and having a valid pass, this is a subject close to my heart.

Rules for shopping centres are not necessarily the same as on the street. In the centres, it's a matter of discretion for the management there. A valid pass will help, but they could also allow someone who does not have a pass but who is temporarily on crutches. I don't have a problem with this. But people whose only disability is chronic laziness, ignorance or who are 'just popping in for a few fags', that's another matter.

On the public street, it's more clear-cut. You must have a pass.

Another issue is people who borrow other people's passes. For me, even though the pass is on the car I drive, I only use its privileges when I'm actually driving my disabled relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

i think most folk would agree, though i have to say the number of disabled parking spots in most of the car parks are amazing - i would be in favour of removing some of these as most of them are never used, and replacing with mother baby spots.

in saying that it won't make any difference to the muppets that use the spots regardless :rolleyes: - unfortunately i am pretty sure it is not illegal and would be up to, for instance, tesco to enforce it if they even can. it all comes down to common courtesy, which has been raised in another post i think....

it is definitly illegal to park in one in a public area, not sure about ones in shopping centres.

I see your point about having less of them and more parent child spaces but to be honest it is better that there is enough spaces all the time for disabled drivers so would rather them kept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I see your point about having less of them and more parent child spaces but to be honest it is better that there is enough spaces all the time for disabled drivers so would rather them kept.
    Not a lot of people realise that it's not just the nearness to the entrance that is important for a disabled space, but also the extra width that makes it possible to open the car door fully and bring a wheelchair in close enough to allow for a transfer.

Often it's impossible to use an ordinary parking space.

• Advertisement

Not a lot of people realise that it's not just the nearness to the entrance that is important for a disabled space, but also the extra width that makes it possible to open the car door fully and bring a wheelchair in close enough to allow for a transfer.

Often it's impossible to use an ordinary parking space.

Yeah totally, the space needed to wheel out a wheelchair is needed.

I personally dont have a disabled sign but my dad uses it for my brother and it just annoys me that these people have so little repect for it. They know they are parking in the disabled spaces as the big wheelchair sign is a bit of a giveaway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Cionád wrote: »
    Completely agree, its nearly always the case that there are free spaces just an extra couple of metres away anyway so why do they do it?, either ignorance or arrogance, probably the latter.

yeah i had a perfect example a number of years ago in Galway. I was getting out of my car when a top of the range Range Rover (cost that time was £80K+) parked in the disabled drivers spot behind me. There were at least 4 free parking spots available in front of me that was clearly to be seen. When the driver and his 2 friends got out i pointed out to them that they were parked in a disabled parking spot and i got the "shrug the shoulders and sneer treatment" followed up with a "so what" comment. Told them that the area was well known for clamping (beside the RTE studios for those that know Galway) and there was very likely they would be clamped. I was told to fú@K off and mind my own business and they left. So for the first and only time in my life i called the clampers :D
    They were midway through clamping the RR when the 3 came back. Thankfully looks cant kill :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Altreab wrote: »
    yeah i had a perfect example a number of years ago in Galway. I was getting out of my car when a top of the range Range Rover (cost that time was £80K+) parked in the disabled drivers spot behind me. There were at least 4 free parking spots available in front of me that was clearly to be seen. When the driver and his 2 friends got out i pointed out to them that they were parked in a disabled parking spot and i got the "shrug the shoulders and sneer treatment" followed up with a "so what" comment. Told them that the area was well known for clamping (beside the RTE studios for those that know Galway) and there was very likely they would be clamped. I was told to fú@K off and mind my own business and they left. So for the first and only time in my life i called the clampers :D
    They were midway through clamping the RR when the 3 came back. Thankfully looks cant kill :)

Were there no parent+child (read SUV) parking spaces available? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

javaboy wrote: »
    Were there no parent+child (read SUV) parking spaces available? :rolleyes:

nope ....just 4 of the normal parking spots but then i guess they were too small for his Range Rover :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

there are two disable spaces out side my work (hotel), so anytime i was outside the hotel and seen someone parking there i'd look for a sticker or a disabled person getting out. 99% of the time if i didn't see a sticker or see someone who was disabled get out, then they were just parking there for the convenient. but i gave up caring after two instances;

1. A car pulled up and the driver and passenger got out (neither disabled) i asked if they knew they were in a disable spot? the driver said 'yeah our passenger is disabled', so i apologised and walked on. As i got in the door of the hotel and looked behind, i seen a young fella in his teens (the passenger in the back) get out of the car and walk perfectly into the hotel.

2. I seen another car pull into the disable space, i looked at the car and occupants as i walked by, there was no sticker in the window and both got out of the car without any problem. So i said to the driver about the disabled spot, then followed a 5 minute chewing from the driver about how dare i question his wifes disability, not allowing me a second to apologise, 'all i said was, do you realise thats a disable spot'.

from then on, i gave up on our disable spots, because 1, people who park in them, but aren't disabled, are not your average friendly joe-soap, no they're inconsiderate pricks. and 2, if disabled people cant see that someone is asking them, to benefit them, then why should i bother.

• Advertisement

I think things are tighter now but I understand it used to be very easy to get a legitimate disabled sticker. I know of two people who have them who really don't need them. They do have medical conditions but they really don't warrant a blue sticker.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The public spots (in Dublin anyhow) were being widely abused and there are plans to change the system IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

I must admit this is one (of many) things that really p1sses me off. Just another example of the ignorant, arrogant and selfish behaviour of Irish drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Altreab wrote: »
    Well done Altreab, you get double points for getting an arrogant ass clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The only way to the law properly is for the DOE to issue special wheelchair registration plates. Anyone found in these parking places without such a plate would be committing a criminal offense. It works in the States.

DSC01080.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I know it's not nearly as bad, but the latest thing is just park in the parent+child spot. Every fscker is at it these days.

It really annoys me as I have 2 kids, one quite young, and I especially don't like him getting drowned in the p1ssings of rain.

I have to laugh at the people who park work vans in such spots...

I took this photo last week to complain to the business owner. Unfortunately the registered address of Gantly Hall is in a housing estate in Celbridge so probably a sole trader.

gantly_hall1.jpg

Ignorant cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

As a disabled driver, this really p****s me off, BIG TIME! A few years ago, I challenged a guy who had pulled into a disabled parking spot beside my car in Lucan. I pointed to my permit in my front window, and my wheelchair to make it a bit more obvious, but I just got the fingers from this ignorant, arrogant d*ckhead. He had just popped into the shop to get cigarettes too.....?? Maybe his lungs were f**ked from all that smoking, hence the need to park in a disabled parking space!!???

I don't challenge people anymore, cos it's just a waste of time.......

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

JHMEG wrote: »
    I know it's not nearly as bad, but the latest thing is just park in the parent+child spot....

gantly_hall1.jpg

Ignorant cnut.

Maybe he was with his mother. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

My auld man is disabled.....we see this sh*t alot....some day im gonna give someone parked in the in correct space a reason to be parked there....that or my father will park his jeep behind them and leave it here for an hour so they cant get out....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Cappo

Disabled girl I worked with parked her car in front of them every time - blocked them in. She then went to security told them and did her shopping. Smart arses had a long wait and they were left fuming. Some got abusive but it really looked bad when shouting at a small girl in a wheelchair with no legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

park his jeep behind them and leave it here for an hour so they cant get out....

Excellent idea.

I know it's not nearly as bad, but the latest thing is just park in the parent+child spot. Every fscker is at it these days.

It really annoys me as I have 2 kids, one quite young, and I especially don't like him getting drowned in the p1ssings of rain.

Ignorant cnut.

Isn't the point of parent and baby spaces, that extra room is need for the buggy etc.
    I think it is an abuse of the system, to use them to save little darling's legs or the effort of using a brolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Why don't the car park security people clamp people parking in these spaces without displaying the appropriate discs/whatever? There's a lot of money to be made!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

I saw a woman in a brand new passat sitting in the drivers seat parked in a disabled spot outside a supervalu, there were plent of other spaces available.
    She was looking nervously at everybody who walked past as if she knew she was in the wrong so when I passed by I looked up to heaven and she got out and gave me hell about how her mother was disabled and couldnt walk properly and so she was entitled to park there and that I should mind my own business etc. I'm usually not into confrontation but this really p1sses me off so when she was finished I just asked her

disability alone doesnt qualify you to park here If her mother is disabled then she should have a sticker in the window, where is it?

why not drop her off at the door and park in a normal spot further on?

and

Why is your disabled mother pushing a shopping trolley around a shopping centre while you sit on your fat ass in the car??

I dont need to give you her answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I think it is an abuse of the system, to use them to save little darling's legs or the effort of using a brolly.

That kind of comment will endear you to all the parents on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

Why don't the car park security people clamp people parking in these spaces without displaying the appropriate discs/whatever? There's a lot of money to be made!

They don't really care. Clamping people means there's a good chance they won't return to that shop and what shop owner wants to put off customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

250882 wrote: »
    I saw a woman in a brand new passat sitting in the drivers seat parked in a disabled spot outside a supervalu, there were plent of other spaces available.
    She was looking nervously at everybody who walked past as if she knew she was in the wrong so when I passed by I looked up to heaven and she got out and gave me hell about how her mother was disabled and couldnt walk properly and so she was entitled to park there and that I should mind my own business etc. I'm usually not into confrontation but this really p1sses me off so when she was finished I just asked her

disability alone doesnt qualify you to park here If her mother is disabled then she should have a sticker in the window, where is it?

and

Why is your disabled mother pushing a shopping trolley around a shopping centre while you sit on your fat ass in the car??

I'm surprised she could even reply to you after that!!!! Fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Cappo wrote: »
    Disabled girl I worked with parked her car in front of them every time - blocked them in. She then went to security told them and did her shopping. Smart arses had a long wait and they were left fuming. Some got abusive but it really looked bad when shouting at a small girl in a wheelchair with no legs.

Well done to her.... I would pay good money to see that....

I took this photo last week to complain to the business owner. Unfortunately the registered address is in a housing estate in Celbridge so probably a sole trader.

gantly_hall1.jpg

Ignorant cnut.

retard :D

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Isn't the point of parent and baby spaces, that extra room is need for the buggy etc.

Yeah it's to give more space for a buggy and also so that their "little darling's" can stand in a safer area while the parent opens the car and puts each one into their proper car seat. The kids don't have to be in buggies for this to be useful and sensible. It also means that careless kids are less likely to dent another car when opening the door becuase of the extra room.

and

Thats a different ball game, these stickers are not just for passengers, they are for occupants in the car being disabled. Many times the driver is not disabled but that doesnt mean they dont require the space for the passenger.

i really dont wanna get into who is getting these stickers but i am really disgusted by the people who are just ignorant and park in these spaces for convenience

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I keep my car in an indoor public car park for free as past of a rental agreement, and there are 3 disabled spaces...of course they are always occupied by smug arrogant ****s in their ultra-expensive Mercedes, Audi and BMWs that take them (as if they had a given right).

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

and

Just the best icon_lol.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I keep my car in an indoor public car park for free as past of a rental agreement, and there are 3 disabled spaces...of course they are always occupied by smug arrogant ****s in their ultra-expensive Mercedes, Audi and BMWs that take them (as if they had a given right).:mad:

There are legal restrictions on the actions the car park owners can take. A friend of mine is paraplegic and gets incensed when he finds some able-bodied tosser in a space he really needs.

If the car park is free, then the owner/operator can clamp the offender; Security at Cornelscourt have been most obliging in the past!

Unfortunately if you have to pay for the parking, then the owners cannot act against the offender. Some of the owners may not care, but the few I've spoken to were very frustrated by being unable to clamp.

I wonder if they could work on a Luas-style arrangement? That is, instead of changing the law to allow clamping, they simply say that the standard charge for a day's parking is €100, but if you take a ticket at the entrance you get it at the usual (outrageously expensive) rate, but disabled spaces are charged at the full whack unless you have the blue sticker.

N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I have seen so many disabled parking bays and so few takers.., i would say about 60% of them are empty all the time. People who park outside the door are plain lazy, they dont want to buy a parking ticket for a few minutes just to bring out that threadmill or whatever it is. Its really down to people's attitudes and the fact that they are disorganised, leaving everything till the last minute, then expecting to get the red carpet treatment to buy cigarettes in supervalu or wherever. You will always notice a man or woman sitting in the driver seat on a double yellow line for about 10 minutes because their other half or kids or friends are in a shop buying groceries or collecting dry cleaning and the thoughts (sic) of the driver are ''just gone in and no point in spending two euro on a disc as its a ripp-off''.

• Advertisement

I know that many of them are empty a lot of the time. This is so that there will always be one avaiables when needed. The disabled people deserves a few spaces that they know will be there for them.

For instance in liffey valley there are thousands of spaces, about 40 disabled spaces. Getting rid of the disabled spots for normal spaces will not make much of difference. Let the able bodied people walk a few more metres.

What can i do to annoy people parking in these spaces that shouldnt be? obviously keep it legal

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

and

:D:)

I'm surprised she could even reply to you after that!!!! Fair play!

X2. ignorant cow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have really got sick and tired of seeing this. People just pulling into them as they are closest to the shops with no regard for disabled people who need these spaces. Can these idiots not just walk the extra minute to the shop and go park in a normal space.

It happens everywhere as far as i can see but especially in my local tesco which has two disabled spots. Everytime i walk by it the spaces are taken up and not by vehicles with disabled signs up, and also a lot of the time there is someone in the car (why?!?). i feel like just going up and telling them off but im a young guy, dont wanna sound an aul lad, it just annoys me.

What do the rest of you think of this?

I think you're a chicken using the excuse "dont wanna sound an aul lad" to cover up the fact you're afraid to say anything to them but the internet is a safe place to say it. :rolleyes:

This has been covered many times before and will no doubt pop up again until people like you grow some balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

What can i do to annoy people parking in these spaces that shouldnt be? obviously keep it legal

Grow a pair of balls would be a good start. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the best i seen was when a guy with a disabled sticker got the finger, from a guy in the disabled parking spot, pulled out his fone, after a few minutes the cops arrived, they did not want to take any action, the guy replyed that he had to be medicaly tested, then pay for the use of the parking space, which the tosser had not to, well that changed it all, a nice long ticket was issued, tax and insurance checked, also lights, indicators, and tyres. so it seems to ring the cops is the way to go, complain that you are paying for the use of the space. i hope this of benifit to some one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Done security a few years ago and was threatened by a Taxi Driver to take it off or he'd have me.

I said work away, I'm not removing that unless i've 80euros in my hand, it's a big carpark and it your own fault.

He had a pry bar in his boot and got the thing off (He put his taxi plate in the boot before that)

Do you think the garda were interested. Nope he didn't even get a caution.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Grow a pair of balls would be a good start. :cool:

Burn!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Maybe they think that being disrepectful of others and sheer ignorance are disabilities :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

Badges men very little. As mentioned earlier loads of people have badges who don't really need them. Saw a good police porgram once where scottish police were checking disabled spaces. They fined one woman who had the badge (her mother was disabled) but she didn't have her mother with her on the day. Thats the way to do it.

In a similar vein there is a JJB gym in Limerick with a missive car park usually empty but people going into the gym will double park outside it. I laugh thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd say no many people would park in them if they weren't add the door of the place, but a few feet down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rolinro

:eek:

I took this photo last week to complain to the business owner. Unfortunately the registered address of Gantly Hall is in a housing estate in Celbridge so probably a sole trader.

gantly_hall1.jpg

Ignorant cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

rolinro wrote: »

insight like that is well worth a 6 month bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rolinro

This vehicle is one of mine. I have been googling and it popped up from this board.
    The driver of this van has a young child and there is a baby seat fitted in it for same. Your photo clearly shows contact numbers on the door which you could have contacted my office with instead of posting a photo of my company logo in some kind of attempt to name and shame over 15 hard working staff for the actions of just one who is perfectly entitled to use a parent and child spot. This vehicle is clearly no bigger than the BMW parked beside it. He cannot afford a car as you obviously do so I would respectfully suggest that you refrain from such headline grabbing tatics as this and reserve them for people who park cars in loading bays and wheelchair spots illegally as the threads suggest.

Thank You,
    Ronan Gantly
    Managing Director
    Gantly Hall Limited

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was it only me that wasn't able to deduce
    This vehicle is one of mine. I have been googling and it popped up from this board.
    The driver of this van has a young child and there is a baby seat fitted in it for same. Your photo clearly shows contact numbers on the door which you could have contacted my office with instead of posting a photo of my company logo in some kind of attempt to name and shame over 15 hard working staff for the actions of just one who is perfectly entitled to use a parent and child spot. This vehicle is clearly no bigger than the BMW parked beside it. He cannot afford a car as you obviously do so I would respectfully suggest that you refrain from such headline grabbing tatics as this and reserve them for people who park cars in loading bays and wheelchair spots illegally as the threads suggest.

Thank You,
    Ronan Gantly
    Managing Director
    Gantly Hall Limited

...from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

I spent half an hour today in Nutgrove SC waiting for a disabled spot (Im a wheelchair user and need a wide spot) There is a load of disabled parking spaces all along the front of the shopping centre and all were taken up. Nutgrove seems to be very popular spot for disabled people...all of the disabled parking spaces seem to be regularly in use. So perhaps I'm just unlucky.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement