Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Light Problem

Options
  • 12-03-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey hoping someone can offer advice...(excuse my ignorance of cars etc)

So I failed the nct on sidelights not working so friend of mine who is mechanic tried to fix it for me and reckons i only need new bulbs...
    However the lights that person that owned car before me got fitted(kinda sporty looking ones) somehow dont allow you to change the bulbs as its like they are welded or stuck on?! Friend says his gf's car is exactly same...

So only solution i think is to buy complete set new lights which is gonna set me back more money(about €280) which I dont have as i've already put money into car for cat con and central box and smaller parts.

Has anyone heard of this before and if so any alternative/cheaper solutions?!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

suzieb wrote: »
    Hey hoping someone can offer advice...(excuse my ignorance of cars etc)

So I failed the nct on sidelights not working so friend of mine who is mechanic tried to fix it for me and reckons i only need new bulbs...
    However the lights that person that owned car before me got fitted(kinda sporty looking ones) somehow dont allow you to change the bulbs as its like they are welded or stuck on?! Friend says his gf's car is exactly same...

So only solution i think is to buy complete set new lights which is gonna set me back more money(about €280) which I dont have as i've already put money into car for cat con and central box and smaller parts.

Has anyone heard of this before and if so any alternative/cheaper solutions?!

thanks

Howya, just to be certain, your side lights are your parking lights (dim ones) that are in the shape of beans, NOT your main bulbs that you use 95% of the time. It's very unusuall that they are stuck in, unless they are angel lights?
    Or someone bonded the sidelight holder into place, any mecanic worth his salt would of gotten a fix for it!
    If they are indefinately stuck in new / second hand lights are the way to go.

if your model is the 95-00 model there are 4 bolts to change them over, two on the front panel, one on the inside on the bumper and one beind the bumper below the wing.

Summerhill Spares is always a good place to look cheap too

01-8673232

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hey yeah its defo the sidelights, the main headlights are grand...after having glance at some angel light images and pretty sure thats what they are...

Sure will try summerhill spares,hopefully they can sort me out...

Know this is something shouldnt do but until hav money to buy new lights if cant get second hand ones before nct this week its possible i can get loan of someones civics lights to pass test and then put mine back in for week or two til get cash together for brand new ones... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What year is the car?

Are the lights made by a company called Sonar (it's written on the front)?

Do they look anything like this:
    3e8f_1_b.JPG

What is the side light supposed to look like: is it an "angel eye" or is it like any other side light?

AFAIK to change any bulb in these type lights (def the case for ones made by Sonar) you have to take the headlamp itself out of the car.

You should be able to change any bulb once you have it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Hey yeah its defo the sidelights, the main headlights are grand...after having glance at some angel light images and pretty sure thats what they are...

Sure will try summerhill spares,hopefully they can sort me out...

Know this is something shouldnt do but until hav money to buy new lights if cant get second hand ones before nct this week its possible i can get loan of someones civics lights to pass test and then put mine back in for week or two til get cash together for brand new ones... :o

Think your best bet is to leave them in until you can afford to get the replacements.

Explain if you get stopped, that your awaiting your retest.

NCT is low in terms of Gardai concerns, esp if the car is only out by a month.

-VB-

• Advertisement

Yeah they're just like the ones in the photo there. Cars not here so cant check if sonar is on it at moment.

Maybe someone stuck the sidelights together but mechanic is really good and am sure he would hav noticed that but he defo reckons only thing i can do is get new or second hand ones...
    thanks

mechanic is really good and am sure he would hav noticed that but he defo reckons only thing i can do is get new or second hand ones...thanks
    He didn't take the headlamp out of the car tho, did he?

He'll have to take them out to fit the new ones...

God well i hope he did if its something that he should hav known to do :(

I'll have a chat with him tomorrow to see what the story is cos my heads wrecked with car probs at mo!

Thanks again,quick responses are great from you lads.

God well i hope he did if its something that he should hav known to do :(
    I'd be surprised if he did, as it's not normally required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

The only way around it is switch the lights over as theres no slot in angel eyes for a conventional sidelight bulb,the sidelight is the halo ring itself.

Im wondering if someone drilled the light and put in there own sidelights then stuck them permanently on,altho this would defat the purpose of the angel eyes as you wouldnt be able to see the rings then.

Do you know anyone with the same year civic even who might let you do a swop for the day?

• Advertisement

Hi Eireal,

Yeah afaik the lights were glued in with some kind of bonding material so they are basically stuck.

I've cancelled my nct and will just sit full test again when hav cash to buy new ones as knew someone that was loaning me his lights but his car off road for work so couldnt get it sorted quick enough for my test tomorrow night...

Just hope not stopped by guards without nct... :(
    thanks

Advertisement