Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Gateway Meat

• 12-03-2008 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

For those interested in extreme underground horror,Ron De Caro's new movie,The Gateway Meat is finally finished and will be available for pre-order on the 23rd of March from www.ftbomp.com , the companies official site.

I urge anyone thats looking for something different from their horror to support these guys.The movie is only $30 including shipping,limited to 1000 pieces and you can get it personalised at no extra charge by cast and crew.

Below is a link to their myspace page where there are trailers for the Gateway meat available and you can also view Rons last short,the White Lie.

If nothing else,sign the guestbook and support independant film making.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=133117447

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Jesus H Christ!

Netheshed????? Whats wrong with you????

Do you seriously like these badly made pieces of ****????? This lot couldn't make clingfilm work let alone anything else. While I admire their marketing gimmicks and undoubted dedication to "gore", they aren't filmmakers. Similar to that guy who made Bone Sickness, its all utter crap thats desperately trying to ape '80s exploitation films that were in fact better in technical terms.

Im disappointed that you are encouraging members to part with cash for this. If you want this kind of thing, write the story and I'll shoot it for you...PROPERLY AND WITH FILMMAKING CREDIBILITY. (IM SERIOUS) We'd make decent money and be taken seriously.

This "fan film" ****e is rediculous and I'd be very very interested in hearing from other horror fans here, if they think this kind of muck is repesentative of current trends. (Zone Horror are actually showing them!!!!!)

No disrespect to Netheshed intended. Its not personal, its kinda professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

nedtheshed wrote: »
    For those interested in extreme underground horror

Did you not read that.If you arent interested then fine,thats your own opinion and I respect that.I love underground,extreme horror and there are others that love it too.Just because you have a problem with a movie I shouldnt start a thread about it or should have to defend myself for mentioning it??

Ron made a film but he isnt a film maker.
    How does that work?

Have you ever seen an exploitation movie?
    Bone Sickness,the Gateway Meat and other new indy horrors arent trying to be exploitation movies,there may be the occasional nod to that genre but as for trying to ape them thats very off the mark.

Last House On The Left is exploitation,Thriller:A Cruel Picture is exploitation,I Spit On Your Grave is exploitation,Fight For Your Life is exploitation, Tenement is exploitation,Last House On Dead End Street is exploitation.

Is Bone Sickness like any of these movies,even remotely??
    No,it isnt.
    Is it because they are violent that they are trying to be exploitation?
    If so then the new Rambo must be trying to be an exploitation movie too.
    But it isnt.

You have this attitude that if a movie isnt how you think it should be then its crap.

Who put you in charge?
    Have you ever made a movie,have strangers watch it,love it and go out and purchase it?

Maybe you have,but if thats the case do you not think that you should respect another film makers vison?
    Or maybe you are just a media student that thinks he knows it all.

If you dont like something dont watch it.
    Easy.

Ok Net, here's your reply. In future, try not to tell me why I didn't reply. Thanks

Have a nice day. Everybody deserves one.
    If you arent interested then fine,thats your own opinion and I respect that.I love underground,extreme horror and there are others that love it too.Just because you have a problem with a movie I shouldnt start a thread about it or should have to defend myself for mentioning it??

I am interested in them which is why I checked out the link. Its also why I watched Bone Sickness on Zone Horror. But its bad filmmaking.
    You have this attitude that if a movie isnt how you think it should be then its crap.

No. I have an attitude that if a film is badly made it stands no chance at all and is crap. I didn't make that type of opinion up. Its universal.
    Who put you in charge?
    Have you ever made a movie,have strangers watch it,love it and go out and purchase it?

Maybe you have,but if thats the case do you not think that you should respect another film makers vison?
    Or maybe you are just a media student that thinks he knows it all.

I think you know the answers to those questions now. I'm not a media student. I know more than the two lads you're talking about and I can't respect badly made films, but I'll respect their effort. I'm not in charge of anything in particular in relation to this thread or forum.
    If you dont like something dont watch it.
    Easy.

Again I watched the films because I do like these kinds of movie. But not the poorly made (how many times must I say it) dross that you're talking about. We'll agree to disagree, although you accept they aren't versed in the techniques of filmmaking.

If you dont like a movie then thats perfectly fine,everyone has opinions on what sucks and what doesnt.
    However,you have said it is bad film making,while giving no reason for why you think its bad.Thats why I called you on it.

You are running down these guys and their work without giving any reason other than "its bad film making"

It makes you sound like a pretentious know all.

How much money have you made off anything you have ever produced?
    How many festivals/conventions have you been invited to,to screen anything you have produced?
    How many movie fans know who you are?
    How many fans do you have that would pre order anything that you make?

I cant say because I dont know but methinks the answer to all of the above would be,zero.

When you can make movies that people are willing to buy,when you get featured in magazines like Rue Morgue and Fangoria,get invited to screen your movie at Cinema Wasteland or The Festival of Fear and when you have a fanbase that love your work,then you can criticise other movie makers abilities.

Until then you are just a schmuck with a video camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm certainly not a fan of these kind of films. The trailer looks very very amateurish. I'm a big fan of gore, but thats all these type of films seem to have going for them.

• Advertisement

Thats grand,you arent a fan.Alot of people arent.You think they are amateurish looking and I will agree that they arent as polished as most movies but I think what they have acheived with the budget they have is phenomenal.They are pushing the limits of underground independent film making and actually trying something different.

And before anyone says it,yes,Bone Sickness is a zombie movie but it buts a different spin on the Zombie genre.It may not be perfect but I for one,and a hell of alot of people I know enjoyed it for what it is.
    A fun,splattery horror movie.

FFS,its hardly like they are been touted like Citizen Kane or something.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    If you dont like a movie then thats perfectly fine,everyone has opinions on what sucks and what doesnt.
    However,you have said it is bad film making,while giving no reason for why you think its bad.Thats why I called you on it.

You are running down these guys and their work without giving any reason other than "its bad film making"

It makes you sound like a pretentious know all.

How much money have you made off anything you have ever produced?
    How many festivals/conventions have you been invited to,to screen anything you have produced?
    How many movie fans know who you are?
    How many fans do you have that would pre order anything that you make?

I cant say because I dont know but methinks the answer to all of the above would be,zero.

When you can make movies that people are willing to buy,when you get featured in magazines like Rue Morgue and Fangoria,get invited to screen your movie at Cinema Wasteland or The Festival of Fear and when you have a fanbase that love your work,then you can criticise other movie makers abilities.

Until then you are just a schmuck with a video camera.

I find your attitude towards me to be very hostile. I suggest you calm it down. Had you got your brain into gear before you let your fingers do the walking, you would have seen in this thread; (in which you bring up the topic again)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055314636

that I address why the filmmaking is poor/bad etc.

I worked in Corporate/Promtional video for 10 years. The "anything you produced", generated praise and most imprtantly cash. That cash allowed me to enjoy a comfortable life and buy a house without a 90 to 100% mortgage. My work in the area was featured in various business magazines, local and national papers and quite regularly in the Sunday Business post. Why? Because I'm good at what I do. Lots of people are good at their jobs. Your filmmaking heroes aren't, despite the plaudits you have bestowed upon them.Deadweed is my first official short film and I sure I'll build on that over the years, without material that looks like it was shot by a monkey. I'm far from a schmuck with a camera. If I have offended your "Heroes", then tough. I don't like their filmmaking. Deal with it. Keep hurling the remarks at me buddy as you are revealing yourself to be an obsessive little nark, that people laugh at. What a pity you aren't capable of holding a civilised debate and I suggest you get out more.

I don't usually make remarks to people, but any sane soul reading your posts about me, could only conclude what I have concluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Enough of this willy waving lads. This thread is for discussion of the movie itself or the genre, dont want things getting too personal.

No willy waving Tusky. I'm just correcting some assumptions for the shed lad.

Corporate and promotional videos and horror movies arent even in the same ball park so I dont see how you can say a horror movie is poorly made based on your work in that particular medium.You obviously like to deconstruct everything you watch,which working on promotional stuff would need to be done for product placement,company logo's in the shot or whatever but how is that relevant to a horror movie?.Some of the best and well respected horror movies have parts that are badly edited,bad lighting and other things wrong that if you look closely enough for you will find but whats the point of watching a movie if you are going to analyse every shot and pick holes based on your experiences doing company videos.Does it not take the fun and whole escapism out of the movie viewing experience?

You obviously have your view on this subject that you arent going to change but whatever,thats up to you and its all I will say on it.

And as for me been an obsessive,you are well off the mark my friend.

• Advertisement

You're just not getting this. There is a right way and a wrong way to do everything. If you hire a carpenter to put up shelves and they're crooked, then he's done it wrong. If you hire an electrician to rewire your house and the wrong switches operate the wrong appliances then its been done wrong. Filmmaking is the same.Theres the right way and the wrong way. Poor lighting can be excused, but bad sound, framing and editing cannot be excused and I know of no successful horror films that made a mess of those basic principles.

And for your information corporate/promotional videos and horror films are all in the same ball park, because the same basic rules for framing, lighting, sound and editing have to be followed from video to TV to film. Rule of thirds, crossing the line, establishing shots, pick ups, etc etc. If you don't understand what Im telling you, then simply compare these particular films with films that have been made properly. You don't need a budget to shoot and edit it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

I really lilked this movie(yaay that's 2 of us) and it's far from perfect.
    I prefer the indie movies to the big budget crap we are expected to fork out hard earned money in the cinema to finance another bloody remake.

These people are fans of horror and are as pissed off as most die hard horror fans at the state of the genre today. So they make their own hoping to get a small fanbase and maybe finance another film.

Fair F**ks to them I say. If I had the time and equipment I'd be doing the same.

The film itself has it's flaws and I'm sure Ron will take the criticisms on board for his next venture. But for a zero budget film I thought it was great with some brilliant gore fx and a real nasty little flick

Advertisement