Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automotive tools.

• 12-03-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good website that sell good quality tools at good prices?
    The site will only be good to me if they ship to Ireland and are not American or on Ebay.
    Cheers.

*EDIT* New smiley:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Try a local motor factors or tool stockist for Teng Tool, the prices of Draper
    gear on that site is way over, I find teng good enough for everyday use without
    being very expensive and dont go by the catalogue RRP, i've bought from 3 diff. outlets and they can do most stuff for about 70% of RRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

land9 wrote: »
    Thats fairly expensive there:o Any more you know of?

@Crosshair, you sound like a Teng tool dealer:D If you are, drop me a PM.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Plug, you really do get what you pay for. If you get a set of spanners lets say for cheap then chances are that they will break when you are doing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

kbannon wrote: »
    Plug, you really do get what you pay for. If you get a set of spanners lets say for cheap then chances are that they will break when you are doing something.

Them actually breaking is one thing, the worst part of it is when they do break you can get hurt!!!
    Try cracking a ring spanner & see what happens your hand!!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Yeah I know what your saying. But €300 for a set of snap on spanners, a bit expensive.
    Right now Im an apprentise so the cheap halfords stuff will do for the moment but now Im just thinking of splashing out on good stuff like Snap On and keep the halfords ones at home for nixers. All I need is a place to buy them cheaper than usual.

@rebel.ranter, I was using a cheap halfords spanner and I ended up snaping a nut not the spanner. Ouch!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Snap On are excellent and will last you your whole career but could be a tad expensive for an apprentice - Teng would be a good option.

Does the Snap On guy not visit your place of work on a weekly basis? They offer credit so you can pay by the week - if that suits you.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Snap On are excellent and will last you your whole career but could be a tad expensive for an apprentice - Teng would be a good option.

Does the Snap On guy not visit your place of work on a weekly basis? They offer credit so you can pay by the week - if that suits you.
    Yes he calls every friday. I still think theres a way to get them cheaper though:(

I don't like the feel of teng tools, they just feel cheap.

Draper tools can be picked up pretty cheap in the motor factors, make it known you're an apprentice - they should give you a trade discount.

The cheaper spanners shouldn't break any more easily than an expensive ones, I find the cheaper ones just don't fit the nuts/bolts as well; you'd need a 23 spanner on a 22 nut;)

land9 wrote: »
    The cheaper spanners shouldn't break any more easily than an expensive ones, I find the cheaper ones just don't fit the nuts/bolts as well; you'd need a 23 spanner on a 22 nut;)

You must be nuts!
    Mine fit grand:D

• Advertisement

No, I had a few cheap sets and they never fitted the size it was intended for - think the sets cost me less than 20euro! (gyppo tools!)

Had a beginner set when I started out (sealey, I think) and one of the mechanics got his hands on it - this guy would make the hulk look like a dweeb! - the spanner looked like a boomerang when he brought it back to me!

All I have now are draper expert and britool spanners - britool are kept clean, only used on special occasions - really shiny and I wanna keep them that way, after what they cost me!

At the end of the day, ya do get what ya pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I have a range of lots of different brands, Teng, Snap on, draper, britool, wurth and a few other bits and pieces. I find most to be quite good, some are better than others but any decent make will do you when starting off. Just something to note, most tool makes now offer lifetime warranty with the exception of some tools (eg air tools etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Plug wrote: »
    Yes he calls every friday. I still think theres a way to get them cheaper though:(

You are able to get reasonable quantity tools at the right price....

Get a rail of impact sockets with a 1/2 inch drive, and a long good quality 1/2 inch breaker bar. I got a rail of impact sockets for €12 in Mc Qullians, these things are very hard to break, never had any issue budging any bolt. Also get a set of Torques/Spline/Allen bits with 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch drive, you'll get these cheap enough too....

Unless your using them every day most of the chrome valadium stuff is pretty good....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

If you can find someone who flies regularly to the States, get him to bring you back some Sears Craftsman tools. They are very nice to handle, well-built, reasonably-priced and guaranteed for life.

I'm completely sold on the ones that I have, I just don't have nearly enough of them!

N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

you only want mikita , dewalt and snap-op , big prices but will last a life-time , unlike black and decker or any of them cheap rubbish tools which break after 5 minutes for use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ring Multiparts in Kilkenny, 056-7765499. they hold stock of both Draper and Teng. Discounts are given to trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm gonna buck the trend here and say that teng is overpriced junk.

I'm an occasional spanner user, maybe a bit more than average DIY but nothing like pro.

I've only ever broken 3 spanner type tools.

1) bent a T-bar in a socket set
    2) twisted the end of a torx driver
    3) splayed the jaws of an open ended spanner.

The T-bar was by aldi and the other two were teng. I see nothing in em other than nice packaging.

try out the halfords pro tools, I've 2 sets of the ratchet spanners and a few odds and ends and they're taking massive abuse.

cheap, quality and have a good warranty.

Have a set of draper expert sockets as well that i got a deal on years ago and they've held up to mighty abuse too.

Well im in this trade for life so I guess its going to have to be Snap-on or the likes. Is there a wholesaler in Ireland for Snap-on?

nmacc wrote: »
    If you can find someone who flies regularly to the States, get him to bring you back some Sears Craftsman tools. They are very nice to handle, well-built, reasonably-priced and guaranteed for life.

I'm completely sold on the ones that I have, I just don't have nearly enough of them!

N

I picked up a half inch ratchet for something like $12 - great piece of kit and feels way more expensive than it cost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

S.I.R wrote: »
    you only want mikita , dewalt and snap-op , big prices but will last a life-time , unlike black and decker or any of them cheap rubbish tools which break after 5 minutes for use.

To be honest there are plenty of reasonable quality tools out there that will give years of service if used properly by someone who knows what they are doing....

There seems to be a certain type of person when given a cheap tool will abuse it till it breaks, then go that's just cheap crap and throw it on the ground.

I had a nu-tool 220V hand drill, bought on special in mcquallians for €10 had it for over 5 years it was excellent, better than anything i've ever owned ( i have a Hitachi drill somewhere )... i've drilled anything and everything within reason with it... was working on a job, gave it to a guy i know and he had it destroyed in 10 mins flat, purely by continuously locking up the chuck and keeping his finger on the trigger, now i know for a fact he would not do that with one of his own drills... his attitude was it was cheap crap...

Also your above comparison to dewalt v's black and decker, do you know they are actually the same company??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Plug, I have two tool chests that are filled with a collection of different brands. I even have a few tools that my father bought when he was serving his time. I have been pulling spanners for a living for a lot of years. The main thing is to learn to use them properly. Abuse is what kills tools, no matter how high quality they are.
    Snap on quality has reduced over the last few years. Some of their tools are still great quality. I would only buy snappy ratchet handles. Teng sockets are good.
    I know a few lads who buy snappy blindly, hammers even. A hammer is a hammer.
    Some tools, like a hacksaw for example needs to be quality. You cant cut straight when the saw frame is twisting.
    I really like the quality of snap on spanners but I have a few Facom and Teng that have lasted well too.
    I have found the Sealy stuff to be very poor.
    I have added a few King Tomy sockets over the last few years that seem to be ok too.
    Screw drivers seem to just grow legs. While they need to a reasonable quality there is no point in buying them at snappy prices. Stanley/Teng ones work well.
    Drifts/Punches/chisels, buy a cheapish set that are chrome vanadium and learn how to repoint them.
    Torx/Allen/Spline bits, buy the best you can afford. The hassle that cheap ones cause is not worth it. I use these mainly in snappy but I have a cheap set for the simple things like engine covers etc where quality wont matter.

Lastly, get a big stick to keep beside your tool chest and use it to beat the sh1t out of anyone who even looks at it. :) Other people tend abuse your tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Caulfields are one of the biggest tool suppliers in Galway and Ireland and carry a huge range of tools. Most of the big names for spanners, screwdrivers, power tools etc. Can be a bit pricey on some of them but also cheaper on other parts. They also supply toolchests and can build your unique tool kit complete with custom foam inlays for the tools, (mind you these are expensive) Have a look for yourself.
    http://www.caulfieldindustrial.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

In response to the poster who said teng are overpriced crap, I have alot of teng tools that i bought 5 years ago, which I use 5/6 days a week and I have not had a problem with any of them or managed to break any. Also like most brands, they offer lifetime guarantee so if you do have a problem with them you can send them for repair/exchange just like snap on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Britool all the way life time guarentee u cant go wrong.Only starting out meself buying all britool good quality stuff.Expensive all right but worth every penny no matter what tools you get there going to be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 markhoran@eirco

I have to recommend Teng tools, I use them myself and still have them didnt break one of them, ive had them 4 years now.
    I also sell them on my site <snip> if anyone wants any ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have to recommend Teng tools, I use them myself and still have them didnt break one of them, ive had them 4 years now.
    I also sell them on my site <snip> if anyone wants any ?
    Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement