Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD DVD Player Xbox 360

• 12-03-2008 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

UPDATE: Argos have it for €50, Tesco have reduced Premium Xbox 360 with 2 games to €280 with Halo 3 an extra €10 if bought with it, 25% back on points this weekend so Xbox 360 with 3 games and HD DVD for €270, get it while u can.
    Saw the Xbox 360 HD DVD player for sale today in GAME Blanchardstown reduced from €180 to €60. Also 3G store selling psp games for €5. Wipeout,Everybodys golf and sudoko are the ones i remember.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I suppose if you got it with the 3 free HD DVD disk offer if that's still going you can't really go wrong at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

€60 in HMV too, and since HD-DVD is region free it shouldn't be too hard to get a few good ones cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's also compatible with Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

nice price.

i have the "old" premium xbox though, not the elite. will i be able to get 720p out of component when using this drive??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 biggame83

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

nice price.

i have the "old" premium xbox though, not the elite. will i be able to get 720p out of component when using this drive??

yes as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Tempting but also a bit like buying a betamax player after the vhs won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

I have one, there are about 200 movies available on the HD format so worth a punt at that price considering movies are being sold off nearly at dvd prices. Only downside is that it is noisy playing a disk as the xbox has to be on also when playing a disk. The developers must have hard hearing problems when they were designing that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Id steer clear of dis one, AFAIK they have stopped making it and will prob only have limited support for it shortly. Id say they will have to announce a Blue Ray player for the 360 shortly as HD DVD is gonna be a dinosuar very shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

blainj2 wrote: »
    Id say they will have to announce a Blue Ray player for the 360 shortly
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that:

See here!
    product manager Aaron Greenberg telling Reuters "Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience"

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that:

See here!

Yeah that doesnt inspire confidence but i still think they will have to strike some sort of a deal or it could be the start of the fall of the 360.

No Blue Ray option and having to pay for online gaming are two big negative points in deciding what console to go for! And now with the price drops the PS3 is looking more and more like the better option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No Blue Ray option and having to pay for online gaming are two big negative points in deciding what console to go for! And now with the price drops the PS3 is looking more and more like the better option.

When you consider how much better xbox live is its worth paying for

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

biggame83 wrote: »

Look at the dates on the form though, this has expired nearly a month and a half ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

And now with the price drops the PS3 is looking more and more like the better option.

unless you're into playing games :D

How good is the drive compatibility with vista? Thinking i might want to make divx backups of my HD-DVD movies, should my player go dead some time in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Yeah that doesnt inspire confidence but i still think they will have to strike some sort of a deal or it could be the start of the fall of the 360.

The Wii is the biggest selling console out there at the mo n it doesn't even play DVDs!!!!

I use my 360 to play games... I watch the occasinaol HD movie on it. At €60 u could buy two of these, keep one boxed incase one fails... I got 3 HD movies for €20 last week.. As someone said, there's over 200 movies out there, most are around $10-15 now. Its a good deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

unless you're into playing games :D

How good is the drive compatibility with vista? Thinking i might want to make divx backups of my HD-DVD movies, should my player go dead some time in the future.

Seems to install and work just fine with Vista for me... but my DVI cable is stopping it from displaying on my monitor...

I must look into that.

unklerosco wrote: »
    At €60 u could buy two of these, keep one boxed incase one fails...

You would need to buy two caue if one breaks then there wont be the support to replace it/fix it. Not a good buy imo

As for the PS3 vs 360 battle i havent made up my mind yet. Currently have a 360 but i will have to try the ps3 online before i make a complete decision.

unklerosco wrote: »
    The Wii is the biggest selling console out there at the mo n it doesn't even play DVDs!!!!

Do you not think that this is because of the massive market for younger people having consoles now. Im talking about 8-14 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Do you not think that this is because of the massive market for younger people having consoles now. Im talking about 8-14 year olds.

No, I think its because its bloody good fun to play, it does what its meant to do and near anyone can use it.. Hell, my mam can use it... This is the woman it took nearly 3 months to teach her how to text!!

As the ronseal man says.. "It does exactly what it says on the tin"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

You mean the newly announced Xbox 360 price drops? :D
    Arcade will be cheaper than the Wii once they come in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Anyone come across it @ that price online for the people too busy/lazy to go to a shop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

I reckon with the 25% back on points at Tesco this weekend,XBOX 360 reduction to €280 today and this HD DVD offer ,u can get an XBOx 360 with 3 games and Hd DVD for €270 if your quick.

Advertisement