Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LocalHost Question

Options
  • 12-03-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Im running Joomla on my wamp server on my destop pc, i have a home network and i can access Joomla on my laptop through the network, the only problem is when i access Joomla on my laptop it doesnt appear correctly and it appears correctly on my desktop pc.

doe's anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved to Web Development from Nets & Comms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

phishcakes wrote: »
    the only problem is when i access Joomla on my laptop it doesnt appear correctly and it appears correctly on my desktop pc.

What does "doesn't appear correctly" mean? Does the content appear at all on the laptop, is it links that are broken, css broken, or just the design/layout is different (different browsers perhaps?) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

The admin screen in Joomla and the actual web page itself load up but not correctly, some the images don't show and some of the text appears in the wrong places...

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Do the two different machines have different screen resolutions, browsers, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Is the site address (in the Joomla admin/config pages) set to localhost or to my-desktop-machine-name or 192.168.blah.blah? It should be either the full name/address of the computer, or it's IP address.

This is because Joomla uses full URLs for some things (like CSS, images, etc.) so when you load the page from your laptop, some of the URLs in the web page from your desktop will contain localhost links (which won't work from your laptop, obviously).

HTH
    .cg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

This is because Joomla uses full URLs for some things (like CSS, images, etc.)
    Are you serious!. My experience with Joomla specifically is minimal, but surely that would only serve to create migration problems for sites based on Joomla.

I would have always assumed something like Joomla would use relative paths instead of absolute.

That shut me up ;)

Advertisement