Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best mobile broadband usb modem on 3 the E220 OR ZTE MF622

Options
  • 12-03-2008 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Which is the best mobile broadband usb modem on the network three the E220 OR ZTE MF622 which is better out of the two and which is the easiest to unlock?

Also what is the user software like on both modems are they both the same?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Best and 3 do not belong in the same sentence. Both modems will be exactly the same at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rd100

It is a different story for me over here in wales i live 150m from a 3mobile mast i have tested it with a pay as you go sim card in a nokia 6120c with a £10 per month 1gb add on and was maxed out at 3.6mb i tried a few times in the day and evening and always got 3.6mb but it was not my phone so i had to give it back but i want a 3 usb modem now,

The reason i ask is my three store has both the e220 and mf622 in stock

jor el wrote: »
    Best and 3 do not belong in the same sentence. Both modems will be exactly the same at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Many modems report 3.6Mbps in the task tray. This is NOT your connect speed, but the maximum speed of the modem.

You can be on 100kbps and have a modem report 3.6Mbps. There is little difference between modems other than last years work up to 3.6Mbps and some newer ones can do up to 7.2Mbps (but only if the mast supports it and no-one else using mast and mast has enough backhaul, some masts only have 2.048Mbps total capacity).

Many 3G phones used as modems only do upto 384k (3G mode, no HSDPA) or even 115k on USB if it is an older phone using serial internally adapted to USB.

Older Modems only do up to 1.8Mbps, but this is not a huge disadvantage as even a 7.2Mbps modem user may typically get less than 700kbps. You only need about 5 users on mast sector to bring speed well below 600kbps on a 3.6Mbps max mast and 1.2Mbps on a 7.2Mbps max mast. At 10 users it can be 150kbps and 270kbps respectively or less.

There is little difference between the modems offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rd100

Hi thanks for the info,

Yes i was always getting around 3.6mb when i tested it useing speed testers and and downloaded some files to test,

watty wrote: »
    Many modems report 3.6Mbps in the task tray. This is NOT your connect speed, but the maximum speed of the modem.

You can be on 100kbps and have a modem report 3.6Mbps. There is little difference between modems other than last years work up to 3.6Mbps and some newer ones can do up to 7.2Mbps (but only if the mast supports it and no-one else using mast and mast has enough backhaul, some masts only have 2.048Mbps total capacity).

Many 3G phones used as modems only do upto 384k (3G mode, no HSDPA) or even 115k on USB if it is an older phone using serial internally adapted to USB.

Older Modems only do up to 1.8Mbps, but this is not a huge disadvantage as even a 7.2Mbps modem user may typically get less than 700kbps. You only need about 5 users on mast sector to bring speed well below 600kbps on a 3.6Mbps max mast and 1.2Mbps on a 7.2Mbps max mast. At 10 users it can be 150kbps and 270kbps respectively or less.

There is little difference between the modems offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

but you are in wales where others may not be using the service because of abundant alternatives and you are practically sitting on the mast, i am a mile away from a mast and my highest speeds are around 700kbps but as for your choice of modem i'd go for the newer zte one and hope any of the huaei bugs have been ironed out

• Advertisement

people can get real Broadband in Wales :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wasn't there a plan to give everyone in wales free wi-fi, did this ever kick off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

watty wrote: »
    but only if the mast supports it and no-one else using mast and mast has enough backhaul, some masts only have 2.048Mbps total capacity

That would explain a lot. Presumably that's just for the packet-switched data?

erm... they often use TDM for everything. Newer upgrades may be IP based. the same spectrum/ radios/data bandwidth/infrastructure is shared between voice calls and data. Data is not some magically extra thing, but an addon to the functionality. So if voice calls near capacity you won't get good data connection.

WiFi is for homes and offices. Outdoor WiFi systems give dialup performance if 20 people using it :)

Advertisement