Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Food Delivery

Options
  • 13-03-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the name of the place that delivers food from different restaurants? And their web address? Got a leaflet in the door awhile back and I can't remember the name. I needs to check something! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

janeybabe wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the name of the place that delivers food from different restaurants? And their web address? Got a leaflet in the door awhile back and I can't remember the name. I needs to check something! Thanks!

http://www.imstarvin.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That's great, thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've rang them twice now after getting their leaflets. Meals all picked out. Only to be told that they don't work with that restaurant anymore. Too flaming cheap to print up new menus.

Just looking at the site there and they have two restaurants that don't even exist anymore still on there. Lemongrass and Abrakebabra.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I've rang them twice now after getting their leaflets. Meals all picked out. Only to be told that they don't work with that restaurant anymore. Too flaming cheap to print up new menus.

Just looking at the site there and they have two restaurants that don't even exist anymore still on there. Lemongrass and Abrakebabra.

Well technically they still do provide food from Lemongrass, it's just the name that has been changed to Tamarind. (But they haven't bothered to do this on the website!) And Tamarind list their number in their ads so they are still connected.

They do need to update the site.

Lemongrass stripped them of their franchise a while back.

The menu is totally different now to the one on the What's For Dinner site. They probably still have the same number because it is the same people running it. They also do their own deliveries now.

It was actually Lemongrass I was told most recently didn't work with them anymore. Before that it was Mustard.

Let me know how you get on with them, they could have improved. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I don't get it, why would you even consider eating Abrakebra sober???

Lemongrass stripped them of their franchise a while back.

The menu is totally different now to the one on the What's For Dinner site. They probably still have the same number because it is the same people running it. They also do their own deliveries now.

It was actually Lemongrass I was told most recently didn't work with them anymore. Before that it was Mustard.

Let me know how you get on with them, they could have improved. :D

Just looked at www.tamarind.ie and www.imstarvin.ie and some of the things on the menu have changed alright, but not all. Do Tamarind deliver so now without What's For Dinner?

Didn't even know Mustard was an option before.

They had to take the Lemongrass franchise items off the menu alright.

Well if today's indo is to be believed they deliver. They have a takeaway menu on the website there. Was thinking of giving them a try tomorrow.

They had to take the Lemongrass franchise items off the menu alright.

Well if today's indo is to be believed they deliver. They have a takeaway menu on the website there. Was thinking of giving them a try tomorrow.

Number in the indo for delivery is the What's For Dinner number. I might try them tomorrow too. MMmmm duck spring rolls...

That splains it.

Coulda been the franchise that was cracking down on the deliveries last time I called them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

The bento box seems to be pretty expensive, but if you order the most expensive lunch starter and most expensive lunch main course it'd seem like a great deal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

if often wonder , how are these businesses profitable?

the man power required to handpick things from all different menus and then deliever them to homes must be enormous?

like , i know that in theory what theyre doing is driving boxes of food to you , but it must be massively time consuming , how many drivers would they need for something like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They just have 2 vans as far as i know.

And they don't seem to be flat out with work either any time i see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

kraggy wrote: »

And they don't seem to be flat out with work either any time i see them.

see that makes me wonder how its profitable? either theyre flat out with work , or its like two guys driving food to you from all over the place

i really wouldnt like that job, but hey , if its making money , fair play to those guys , he who works is rewarded balh.balh.....

They have a high delivery charge at 3.50 but even that cpuldn't help them if they're not getting business.

But they might be doing well and fair play if they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Jason, one of the two brothers that set it up, works a seven day week so think they are busy...
    Sound guy.

Delivery charge from most places is €3.00 anyway so the extra 50c for wider choice is worth it in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They also make money on charging higher prices for the product than if you were in the shop and bought if yourself.

They are sound guys though. Hope they are doing well. They deserve it.

Tried it out tonight. I was very happy with the service; efficient, friendly, and most importantly, the guy knew where my place is before I even had to give directions! (I have problems with delivery guys getting lost even after I give directions!)

The food arrived hot (I know some people have complained before about it arriving cold) and only took about 35 minutes to arrive at rush hour, although they had said it would be 45 minutes.

I ordered from Tamarind (formally Lemongrass) by the way, and it was so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Nice to hear you had a good experience - must give it a try myself sometime (see if they can find where I live :) )

I shall give them a third (and final if it's bad) go this weekend.

Thanks Janeybaby, I've had such a craving for Asian Fusion Cuisine since this thread started.

:pac:

• Advertisement

I'd like to hear more detail on how 'authentic' they consider the food from these Asian styled places.

Asians?

Most asian food to be got over here is westernised. I don't mind as long as it's yum.

Asians?

Most asian food to be got over here is westernised. I don't mind as long as it's yum.
    Re-reading my post, wasn't all that clear it was aimed at you folk who have tried them. I'd accept that most of the food get westernised (if not invented solely for the western palate) but there are a few places I've come across (not in Galway, just arrived a couple of weeks ago) which do try to keep things as close to the original as possible.

To be honest I doubt I'd know which is authentic or westernised.

I know some asian restaurants which are really nice though that you could try:

Thai Garden (Spanish Arch)
    Kashmir (Indian Restaurant) - Domnick St. Looking out at the Claddagh.
    Royal Villa (Chinese) - Oranmore, Claregalway & Carraroe. The take away is ok but the sit down meals are fecking gorgeous.

ciotog wrote: »
    Re-reading my post, wasn't all that clear it was aimed at you folk who have tried them. I'd accept that most of the food get westernised (if not invented solely for the western palate) but there are a few places I've come across (not in Galway, just arrived a couple of weeks ago) which do try to keep things as close to the original as possible.

Oh most Chinese restaurants are very Westernised. I worked in a Chinese restaurant for 2 years so I know what's authentic and what is not. I have yet to taste what you might call 'authentic' Chinese food in Galway, but have heard that Da Tangs is pretty authentic. I don't know much about Asian food other than Chinese, but it doesn't bother me if it's authentic or not as long as it tastes nice. When I was working in the Chinese I used to taste some of the food the chefs have in China and it was different but lovely. The chefs loved the Westernised versions too, and in fact their favourite food wasn't Chinese, Westernised or authentic, it was deep fried jam sandwiches.

Who cares if it's authentic or not? Sometimes I get a craving for chicken balls with sweet and sour sauce but I'm not under the impression that it's what is eaten in China!

This is so off topic! But the question was asked!

Sorry for dragging things so far off topic :) I'm not after authentic for the sake of authentic or some kind of snobbery - there are just particular dishes that just don't have the same effect if they're overly westernised - satay and Thai green curry would be good examples.

ciotog wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging things so far off topic :) I'm not after authentic for the sake of authentic or some kind of snobbery - there are just particular dishes that just don't have the same affect if they're overly westernised - satay and Thai green curry would be good examples.

Ya there is only one place I'll eat satay in. (In Cork)

I'm fussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Do they deliver chocolate?

MattKid wrote: »
    Do they deliver chocolate?

Food and alcohola as far as I know! God that would be so useful. Whenever I want chocolate there's no way I want to walk to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

i often wonder , how are these businesses profitable?
    Well if I was to buy my usual kebab with garlic & cheese chips from the (almighty) Charcoal Grill it's cost me €16.90 .

But if I was to get off the sofa and work off some of the kebab in advance it'd cost me about €10.

You can pick and choose off different menues but there's an extra €1.50 charge per menu too.

Not just €3.50 profit per run, they bump up the prices a lot too. I always thought of it as just a glorified taxi service!! (without having to sit in those big queues of taxis before 2am)

Advertisement