Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First with the news:Tara protesters to be removed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Jesjes wrote: »
    The reason this argument bothers me is because it deems that only locals and those who frequent a site have any right to it. I dont think this is fair or right. Consider for a minute someone in England, France or Germany (as those are also some of the people on the Rath) hear about this M3 toll road going through the Sacred Valley at Tara and then decide to get involved... They shouldnt be any less worthy than anyone else.

Thing is .. nobody knew what was down there until they went about digging. If, for example, a farmer was gonna throw up a few barns or build a house in the area would the same protests had taken place to the same extent as the motorway?
    All archaeological sites have been found solely due to NRA advance archaeological works for the M3 project. None of these sites had any protection and if small-scale development had been proposed on any of them, it is debatable that any would have been subject to archaeological investigation. Discovered archaeological sites on the M3 will be excavated and recorded by hand within the fenceline (landtake) of the road subject to directions issued by the Minister for Environment, Heritage and Local Government. All discovered sites will be subject to very thorough archaeological excavation and post-excavation reporting. Any sites found will be reported to the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government to be recorded on the Record of Monuments and Places (RMP) . The whole project will be fully published to add significantly to Irish Archaeology in general and to the ancient settlement and society of this part of Meath in particular.
    This is a World Heritage site - or it should be recognised as one - and therefore everyone has a right to join the protest at any time.

The whole of Meath is just one big heritage site. Pretty much the whole county and surrounding areas are littered with some sort of archaeological works. Stick a shovel in anywhere and you will find something. That was the problem with the planning of the road. They were very limited with the options they had and the route they have decided upon, after many public hearings, is the least disruptive to the local countryside.

Do the people coming from abroad know that Public Hearings as to the route of the road have all ready taken place? If they wanted to object to something then was the time, not now. And how many of these people have ever been to the area?

Most seem to be just eco-terrorists jumping on the bandwagon of saving some grass from being hurt and using dangerous protest methods endangering themselves and others.
    if an Irish person isnt willing to make that sacrifice I'll be damned to turn away anyone else who is! And even if it is an Irish person - maybe they're not as "crusty" as you guys really think. Have any of you gone to the hill, talked to these people, heard them out? Considered for a minute these guys actually gave up their lives just to try and stop this happening.

Has anyone gone to the locals who live by the route of the road and asked their opinions? Or the familes of people who have been killed on the current road due to its inadequate size and safety to cope with the volume of traffic it takes?

Nobody is saying that we should tarmac over national monuments and important parts of the country. But as it is numerous costly environmental impact studies and alternatives have been looked at and the best and least damaging was chosen after PUBLIC CONSULTATION. Where were all these people when they had their chance to stand up when this was being debated in an open public forum? A decision was made, and as always its not going to please everyone, but can people not take it? If they are so worried about the countryside why not go back to Glen of the Downs and clean up the mess still there, or get to work on cleaning the mess they will no doubt (from looking at past events) leave there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Winters wrote: »
    The whole of Meath is just one big heritage site. Pretty much the whole county and surrounding areas are littered with some sort of archaeological works. Stick a shovel in anywhere and you will find something. That was the problem with the planning of the road. They were very limited with the options they had and the route they have decided upon, after many public hearings, is the least disruptive to the local countryside.

I know it was meant to be the least disruptive route - and that was based on surveys that were done that are now deemed to have been based on maps that were wrong.
    Do the people coming from abroad know that Public Hearings as to the route of the road have all ready taken place? If they wanted to object to something then was the time, not now. And how many of these people have ever been to the area?

I am gonna use the same arguement of my previous post - have they any less right to protest just because it might not be their first time here or because they werent around at the time of the Public Hearing...

Most seem to be just eco-terrorists jumping on the bandwagon of saving some grass from being hurt and using dangerous protest methods endangering themselves and others.

That seems to be how its appearing to the general population it seems (if boards is any indicator) and that makes me v.sad - because for these people to be disregarded as useless and wasters takes away completely from what they're doing.
    Has anyone gone to the locals who live by the route of the road and asked their opinions?

Yes, they have, frequently. There are many locals who support the Protectors and visit Tara and Rath Lugh.
    Or the familes of people who have been killed on the current road due to its inadequate size and safety to cope with the volume of traffic it takes?

Poor infrastructure and bad accidents killed people. Peaceful protesters on Tara did not. Again, I must stress we're for re-routing the road based on the importance of Rath Lugh and other sites of importance - not for "No infrastructure for Meath".

Nobody is saying that we should tarmac over national monuments and important parts of the country. But as it is numerous costly environmental impact studies and alternatives have been looked at and the best and least damaging was chosen after PUBLIC CONSULTATION. Where were all these people when they had their chance to stand up when this was being debated in an open public forum? A decision was made, and as always its not going to please everyone, but can people not take it? If they are so worried about the countryside why not go back to Glen of the Downs and clean up the mess still there, or get to work on cleaning the mess they will no doubt (from looking at past events) leave there?

Again - the EIS was based on maps that were wrong. That is why there was a call for another assessment.

I dont have much experience or knowledge on Glen of the Downs admittedly, but I do think that logically, if these people are giving up their lives to go to Tara and to attempt to protect her SURELY they'd have respect and not do as you're suggesting.

Having been to camps on both Tara and Rath Lugh I can personally assure that there is no "mess" or black bags - and that I highly doubt there will be anything left behind. (hopefully, I mean, there could be one eejit, there usually is, but hopefully those more considerate will pick up where others fall)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dtwhaler

Jesjes, you say its a "World Heritage site". Ok, even if I agreed with you on this I think saying that people from Germany, England, France or wherever have a right to protest is a bit off. How would those same people (whatever nationality they may be) feel if I was to go over and tell them what they should or should not be doing in their country. I dont think I have the right.

e.g. if the Egyptians wanted to pull down all the pyramids, yeah I think that'd be a big mistake. I can have all the opinions in the world on it but I really dont think I have the right to tell them what to do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

dtwhaler wrote: »
    Jesjes, you say its a "World Heritage site". Ok, even if I agreed with you on this I think saying that people from Germany, England, France or wherever have a right to protest is a bit off. How would those same people (whatever nationality they may be) feel if I was to go over and tell them what they should or should not be doing in their country. I dont think I have the right.

e.g. if the Egyptians wanted to pull down all the pyramids, yeah I think that'd be a big mistake. I can have all the opinions in the world on it but I really dont think I have the right to tell them what to do.
    Well thats a matter of opinion really. I dont think its fair to say one nationality has more of a "right" to a thing than anyone else. This is the very reason places are declared as "World Hertiage Sites" - so they may be preserved the world over for everyone and all future generations.

If you had Egyptian parents, or grandparents, or if you learned of the Pyramids your whole life and held a fascination and felt they were very important culturally and historically - maybe you would actually go to Egypt to protest... I am sure many more would join you.

Unfortunatley for Tara a big Pyramid holds more intruge to most than some "mounds" as most people like to disregard Tara as.

Like, people dont actually imagine Tara as a thriving city, where the King lived, where battles were fought, where warriors trained, where horses and food and the first mill in Ireland was! The world over people long for a connection to their hertiage and wish for something of significance such as what we have in Tara in Ireland - there it is - the whole thing on a platter and we completely disregard it where others wouldnt.

Tara belongs to us, all of us, forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Where were squeeky and her gang when this was goin on?

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/03/12/afghan.buddha.02/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭roy123456789

Heres a 32 second clip from Prime time showing Squeak in her hole and the car jack holding up the ceiling.
    Looks very precarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Plough the road right through the ****ing thing. **** old stuff. Old stuff sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

Sundy wrote: »
    Where were squeeky and her gang when this was goin on?

http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/03/12/afghan.buddha.02/

Talibans destroyed their whole country monuments for them just is piece of cake. We all know what Talibans capable of.. Do you really want me tell you what they did in 2001. To be more precise Taliban govt is only recognized by Pakistan govt no body else in the world. They are just bunch of nut cases right?

Here it is different story all together, we have elected govt makes laws and we obey them. Some how the law and litigation in this construction of motor way is against protesters wishes and so they are concern giving their voice in a awkward fashion. We all know court said to given green flag construction activity. As a law obeying citizen I obey the land of law. May be the law to protect historic monuments should be over hauled!

Bottom line we can’t equate Taliban govt with Irish govt. Come on, come up with some valid argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I would argue that instead of tarring everyone with the same brush you consider that maybe not every "hippy" has no integrity and that perhaps they are seeing something you're not.

The way I am looking at your post it's the peoples attitudes that are wrong/off and the actions of those who care about Tara and everything discussed are not wrong.

Well the road will be further away from the current road. I'd happily protest if there was something really in danger but these people protesting are looking for an excuse to protest. I wonder how many of them had visited Tara before the road came up. Its because of them that people will dismiss proper protests about this sort of thing as 'hippies', which in this case the majority are, but in other cases aren't.

MySelf56 wrote: »
    Talibans destroyed their whole country monuments for them just is piece of cake. We all know what Talibans capable of.. Do you really want me tell you what they did in 2001. To be more precise Taliban govt is only recognized by Pakistan govt no body else in the world. They are just bunch of nut cases right?

Here it is different story all together, we have elected govt makes laws and we obey them. Some how the law and litigation in this construction of motor way is against protesters wishes and so they are concern giving their voice in a awkward fashion. We all know court said to given green flag construction activity. As a law obeying citizen I obey the land of law. May be the law to protect historic monuments should be over hauled!

Bottom line we can’t equate Taliban govt with Irish govt. Come on, come up with some valid argument.
    Im not comparing governments at all, im just noting the selective nature of the protesters.

The law is of course against protesters who fail to recognise authority. They were entitled to protest against the motorway but at this stage they have lost and it is time to recognise the law of this country and the wishes of the people.

• Advertisement

http://savetaravalley.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13

What on earth is that looper on about Opus Dei? Any credibility that the protest had with me is gone totally now.

What on earth is that looper on about Opus Dei? Any credibility that the protest had with me is gone totally now.

I for one, welcome our lizard overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Watched some more videos on the tarapixie site, including the 35 minute one. They would be best described as a bunch of rampant baboons, their protest is anything but constructive, not sure why this they release this stuff on the site as it blows away their credibility completely.

Climbing over things, swinging out of things, making noises like native americans, jumping up on down on things, the children in my sons creche conduct themselves with more decorum than that and that's no lie !!

And what is the story with the guy in the balaclava ? Does he think he is in the provos or something ?

Watching that video the thing that annoys me the most is the total lack of Garda presence, its an utter disgrace. This bunch is small in number, yet they are allowed to roam around the place building barracades, giving abuse to Gardai, resisting arrest and god knows what else. They could have been rounded up months ago and then kept off site using appropriate security measures.

The Gardai need to up the ante on this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

its jeysus hey jeysus do you think opus dei run the garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭DMC2005

They shouldnt be there at all - there is an injunction on the land - it is in court today

Hang on a second, you've claimed the construction is illegal, but you never said what made it illegal. There was an application for an injuntion to prevent construction on thursday, but it was refused. so how was it "illegal" for the construction workers to be there?
    She is not endangering the lives of others if they back off, in fact her life is only in danger when they park huge trucks and such

But this tunnel has been there for weeks, if not months. Do you not think building a tunnel under an active construction site might not be a little dangerous for everyone involved, construction workers and protestors
    included ? Not think it was dangerous to have construction traffic potentially driving over this tunnel for the last

few weeks???

Again, for over FIVE YEARS this has been going on. These same people who are taking these actions have been peacefully, non violently and non dangerously protesting for a looooong time.

You make them sound like zen buddhists. Reality is, these people are highly threatening. Even the video posted in this thread shows protestors in balaclavas ahouting abuse at construction workers.

DMC2005 wrote: »
    Hang on a second, you've claimed the construction is illegal, but you never said what made it illegal. There was an application for an injuntion to prevent construction on thursday, but it was refused. so how was it "illegal" for the construction workers to be there?

It had a temporary injunction at the time of my post. It no longer does.

Most of the posts since last night are just repeats so I amnt gonna argue them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭DMC2005

It had a temporary injunction at the time of my post. It no longer does. .

Peadar Ó Ceallaigh broght an application for an injunction on thursday, which was refused. This in no way caused the revocation of any other order. So when and where was this previous injunction lifted?

A protection order was issued on the monument itself last week by Gormley, but this does not include, nor was it ever to intend to include, the route of the motorway.Justice Lafoy ordered on Thursday that this preservation order had not been breached anyway.
    In any case this protection order isn't an injunction, so its time for you to put up or shut up.

If you can't show that an injunction which prevented SIAC and Ferrovials presence on the lands at Rath Lughwas was place on Thursday, your allegation of criminality against SIAC and Ferrovial is libellous, and should be removed from this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah, the generalistaions of a "forward-thinking" mind. Is it the same "forward-thinking-mind" that wantde the M50 so that people could enjoy a quality of life? I don't drive, so sitting in commute is possible. Nor do I choose to live 20-30 miles away from where I work.

BY the time they get this built, people in Meath will STILL be sitting in traffic. Meath will be little more than a suburb of Dublin. Surely "forward-thinking" poeple would see that?

What do weeds and haircuts have to do with it?

AAAAA yes, trivilaise things by putting things in quote marks. Always the sign of someone with a poor argument to begin with. People would obviously like to live close to work, but people had to make a choice if they wanted to get a decent home for their family that they could afford to move out of Dublin. Its all well and good for you, you obviously don't have a family. Don't be getting up on your high horse just yet. If the M50 had never been built imagine the chaos that would be in Dublin now! Also, you don't drive so how can we expect you to understand the frustrations of those just wanting to get to work in a reasonable time?

But no, you would rather shun those that go to work 5 days a week, work hard, pay their taxes and try and raise their families, and support a bunch of obviously deranged dole scroungers stopping required progress. I make no apology for the fact these wacko's arguments hold no weight with me. The people stuck in traffic each day are paying these people's dole money. They are not much benefit to society really. Their points and actions get crazier by the day. I'm not for destroying our heritage, but a balance always needs to be struck and compromise needs to be made. Such extremists do not know the meaning of the word. If you choose to dig a hole under a construction site to prove your point, a nice volvo BM dumper coming down on top of you is what you should expect. These nutjobs are up there with the animal rights protesters attacking people. They are a drain on society as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

astraboy wrote: »
    AAAAA yes, trivilaise things by putting things in quote marks. Always the sign of someone with a poor argument to begin with. People would obviously like to live close to work, but people had to make a choice if they wanted to get a decent home for their family that they could afford to move out of Dublin. Its all well and good for you, you obviously don't have a family. Don't be getting up on your high horse just yet. If the M50 had never been built imagine the chaos that would be in Dublin now! Also, you don't drive so how can we expect you to understand the frustrations of those just wanting to get to work in a reasonable time?

But no, you would rather shun those that go to work 5 days a week, work hard, pay their taxes and try and raise their families, and support a bunch of obviously deranged dole scroungers stopping required progress. I make no apology for the fact these wacko's arguments hold no weight with me. The people stuck in traffic each day are paying these people's dole money. They are not much benefit to society really. Their points and actions get crazier by the day. I'm not for destroying our heritage, but a balance always needs to be struck and compromise needs to be made. Such extremists do not know the meaning of the word. If you choose to dig a hole under a construction site to prove your point, a nice volvo BM dumper coming down on top of you is what you should expect. These nutjobs are up there with the animal rights protesters attacking people. They are a drain on society as far as I'm concerned.

Trivialise things? Please explain. Or does get brushed aside with the mythological weeds and hairs being cut that you alluded to earlier.

I've done the commute thing - never again. I honestly don't know how people stick it. I work from home and, guess what - pay my taxes and rasie my family! What made you think I didn't? I could, as I said, make more money IF I CHOOSE TO, but if would be far moire stressful. As it is, I have a comfortable home and I'm happy. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

What's a wacko? Someone who doesn't do the commerial/capitalist thing? If so, why?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

emaherx wrote: »
    I looked it up, interesting read.
    Any way may point is if the landscape was conserved at Lismullen it would be just a green field with nothing interesting for any one to see, unless you like sheep.

you could say the same about tara, that's how buildings were made back then picking landscape formation, shaping earth and wooden additions.

Nicely said
    Oh and there not, the Hill of Tara would be the central Area, Rath Lugh is more to the side

Tara
    forthosewhowontclickonlinks.jpg

http://dublinstreams.blogspot.com/2007/10/tara-kingship-and-landscape.html

based on Tara an Archaeological Survey by Conor Newman 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Trivialise things? Please explain. Or does get brushed aside with the mythological weeds and hairs being cut that you alluded to earlier.

I've done the commute thing - never again. I honestly don't know how people stick it. I work from home and, guess what - pay my taxes and rasie my family! What made you think I didn't? I could, as I said, make more money IF I CHOOSE TO, but if would be far moire stressful. As it is, I have a comfortable home and I'm happy. Why is that so hard for you to grasp?

What's a wacko? Someone who doesn't do the commerial/capitalist thing? If so, why?

You travilised my use of the words forward thinking by putting them in quotes, as if to make them a slur with little meaning. Thats all I meant.

I never said you did'nt pay your taxes, or were not a hard working a decent citizen. I said the protesters are. Are you one of the protesters? Do you scrounge on the dole and spend your time disrupting others in their work? Honestly, if they can afford to sit in a tunnel or protest on a building site for weeks on end they must have little else to do. Fair play if you choose quality of life over money, but thats a separate issue to what is basically a protest preventing a required piece of infrastructure.

While I certainly don't agree with anyone that is anti-capitalist(go to cuba if you don't like free market economics as far as I'm concerned), people have every right to their opinions. Its when they start spreading lies and what is obvious bull**** about the guardi etc., and preventing a construction project, that they become whackos. I would find it hard to define a "whacko" but these guys fit the profile. Look at their rantings on their blogs and look at their attempted low down intimidation of construction workers and these guys seem like little else to me.

Protester does not equal scrounger. I could class myself as a protester against this road and I am neither crusty nor a scrounger. People need to get over their misconceptions - cuz thats what they are!

Protester does not equal scrounger. I could class myself as a protester against this road and I am neither crusty nor a scrounger. People need to get over their misconceptions - cuz thats what they are!

Hmm, have you looked at the pictures of these people. Bunch of filthy new-age hippies, aka scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

astraboy wrote: »
    You travilised my use of the words forward thinking by putting them in quotes, as if to make them a slur with little meaning. Thats all I meant.

I never said you did'nt pay your taxes, or were not a hard working a decent citizen. I said the protesters are. Are you one of the protesters? Do you scrounge on the dole and spend your time disrupting others in their work? Honestly, if they can afford to sit in a tunnel or protest on a building site for weeks on end they must have little else to do. Fair play if you choose quality of life over money, but thats a separate issue to what is basically a protest preventing a required piece of infrastructure.

While I certainly don't agree with anyone that is anti-capitalist(go to cuba if you don't like free market economics as far as I'm concerned), people have every right to their opinions. Its when they start spreading lies and what is obvious bull**** about the guardi etc., and preventing a construction project, that they become whackos. I would find it hard to define a "whacko" but these guys fit the profile. Look at their rantings on their blogs and look at their attempted low down intimidation of construction workers and these guys seem like little else to me.

Wasn't trivialising, i was trying to show the contradiction that believeing that roads and personal transport in a country like Ireland needed a attention ahead of public transport is forward-thinking.

Fair enough, I may have taken the rest of your argement personally when it wasn't meant to be, but it did come across that anyone who put anything ahead of the whole mortgage/family/career thing was a 'wacko'. I don't SHUN anyone, I just do things differently, have different values and get annoye someone fells that they're bring compelled to do a hellish commute. People can and do do things differently, you know.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I'd say 'Squeak' is geting soaked down her hole with the weather we are having in Dublin/Meath today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I know it was meant to be the least disruptive route - and that was based on surveys that were done that are now deemed to have been based on maps that were wrong.

Any sources to explain where these maps were wrong and the actual details of what was wrong with them? Cant really find anything on google or anywhere of actual reputable source.

I am gonna use the same arguement of my previous post - have they any less right to protest just because it might not be their first time here or because they werent around at the time of the Public Hearing...

How many of the current protesters were around at the times of the public hearing? Then was the time ro raise concerns of it not when work starts. Just because you missed your chance doesnt mean you go dig tunnels under active construction sites and chain yourslves in. That is dangers to both yourselves and workers in the area. Not to mention the emergency servies who will no doubt have to help remove them for tresspassing etc.
    "The motorway has gone through the full planning system and was subject to an 28 day oral hearing by An Bord Pleanala, the State planning appeals board, who granted permission for its construction in August 2003 subject to certain conditions."

Then was the time to protest and make complaints. Not after. This motorway has undergone lengthly court and hearings and all seem to be in support of it. I for one support the law of the land and the views of local people and business who it will effect on a day to day basis. Not some eco-terrorists who are trying to both undermine the Gardai, The Courts and the public population on a whole.

That seems to be how its appearing to the general population it seems (if boards is any indicator) and that makes me v.sad - because for these people to be disregarded as useless and wasters takes away completely from what they're doing.

That people from boards read information from both sides and make a decision based on the facts provided to them? Not to mention wish to follow the laws of the land, which have given the green light to the construction, and dont support people tresspassing on a buildin site and putting themselves, their children and others in danger.

Yes, they have, frequently. There are many locals who support the Protectors and visit Tara and Rath Lugh.
    Thats strange, I know locals in the aera, they and their neighbours and most (if not actually ALL) of the business in the area support the road and are against the protestors. From the records of the hearings not many locals or the business in the area have a big problem with the road, it appears their big problem is the protesters who have never before been to the area claiming stake and setting up shack and leaving a mess.

Poor infrastructure and bad accidents killed people. Peaceful protesters on Tara did not. Again, I must stress we're for re-routing the road based on the importance of Rath Lugh and other sites of importance - not for "No infrastructure for Meath".

Yes, so when the government and NRA finally get their finger out of their hole and spend a lot of time and money planning a new road to improve infrastructure in the aera and try and reduce accidents, eco-terrorists who dont live anywhere near the site arrive up tresspassing and putting themselves in danger?

Also, the importance of Rath Lugh? All archaeological sites have been found solely due to NRA advance archaeological works for the M3 project. None of these sites had any protection before the work started. Its highlighly unlikly that any of these protesters would have arrived if someone was to build a house in the area. If you dig a ditch anywhere in Meath you are going to find some sort of archaeological works, thats the way the county is. This route is one of the least damaging of all the possible options and any archaeological sites found are being excavated fully. So its not like they are just tarmacking over them.

Again - the EIS was based on maps that were wrong. That is why there was a call for another assessment.

Again, ligimite reputable sources for this?
    I dont have much experience or knowledge on Glen of the Downs admittedly, but I do think that logically, if these people are giving up their lives to go to Tara and to attempt to protect her SURELY they'd have respect and not do as you're suggesting.

They said the same thing back at the Glen of the Downs. They said they were there to protect the tree's and chained themselves to it. They lived in 3rd world conditions strapping themselves to trees and making make shift homes in them and around the area. They caused more environmental damage then any road would ever do. Prolonging a much needed infrastructure development and costing the state thousands in policing. Their children were deprived of education and forced to live in the same squaller as they did. Even when the place became a mud bath they put up plastic and metal sheeting to cover themselves many of which were still stuck high up in the trees and in the surrounding area for years after.

Ask any local who lived on the route, or near the area. The protesters were not supported by the VAST majority of the people and caused a bigger problem. Their mess shows they clearly do not have respect for the area as the vast majority of them were not even from the area but lived in suburban Dublin areas or even from further around the country and abroad. Many never having actually even been in the area.

These appear to the the exact same people taking part in Tara, illegally trespassing on building sites and dangerously digging tunnels benith them and the area which are also under protection from the builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭Charlie

What a bunch of kunts. Branding them as hippies is too good for them and probably a badge they would wear proudly.

Do they not understand that we live in a democracy, a democracy which has a judicial system in place and an elected government. These kunts tried to use this democracy when it suited them, but now that they have come to a dead end, have adopted a position akin to a spoilt child refusing to go to bed.

If they are happy to prick around and refuse to recognise the law, why should we. Why shouldn't they just be fcuked out of their tunnel with force. They have clearly shown they have no respect for the law of the land, why should it have any for them.

I would gladly volunteer to round up these headbangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It had a temporary injunction at the time of my post. It no longer does.

Most of the posts since last night are just repeats so I amnt gonna argue them.

do you believe that opus dei are instructing the garda to interfere because i likle the idea of the road going somewhere else (between sligo and galway for instances)but i don'yt think that opus dei are to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Hmm, Bunch of filthy new-age hippies, aka scroungers.

Unlike this crowd (leaving out the hippy bit of course) who are honourable, upstanding members of the community, willing to put their lives and livelihoods on the line for the greater good:D

150pxmaryharneygk2.jpg

200pxbertieahernberlin2hs8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Actually, had another think about this. What that Squeak character is doing is a very poorly veiled threat towards any emergency services personnel who attempt to extricate her, and is holding the whole country to ransom against the will of the vast majority. I would fully support smoking her out or some other such method, and then prosecuting her to the full extent of the law, and I would hope she gets quite a bit of **** for it. All good will and intentions aside, screw her if she thinks she gets to disregard legal process when it doesn't suit her. She's one person, the protesters as a whole are a tiny, tiny minority, with almost no support, local or national, so to hell with them. Get on with what the majority have decided to do, and let's not accept these threats.

Advertisement