Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First with the news:Tara protesters to be removed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Rebeller wrote: »
    :rolleyes:It would seem rather self-defeating to use quotations to suit someone else's point of view, now wouldn't it?

See, now we're all at it.
    My point seems missed. Maybe school and less protesting might be useful. The point I am making is random quotes from a philospher is quite useless in a debate. Particularly as you can easily go off and find one to suit your needs, which is the irony I had in posting one.
    The point is not that the hill (note my skillful use of bold font again!) of Tara is being damaged it's that the site of which Tara is the focal point is being irredeemably destroyed.
    Yes, I was pointing out that when this origionally started and the meida heard about it to me it appeared to be all about the Hill of Tara and saving it and not as much about the surrounding area. Maybe it was just the media and reports at the time but the fact is that the road is going through the Tara-Skryne Valley and many of the protesters reports over the years have been misleading saying the wrong areas or even areas that dont exist.

By the way, you know that ANYWHERE in Meath has something of imprtance in the ground? You know that anywhere you dig you will actually find some sort of artfact in the ground. There is no doubt that there is some sort of Historical element to the area, otherwise there would not be so much effort by the NRA to prevent archaeological works from being destroied. Infact, if it wasnt for the work being going on building the motorway then the archaeological areas found would have never been uncovered. Would it not be better that the NRA found them insted of some coyboy builder who would just cement over them to build his shed?

I am not against the building of the road per se, rather the insistence of constructing it slap bang in the middle of such a culturally significant national monument of which the hill of Tara is the centre-piece. Roads can be moved, diverted. Once this motorway is built, it will act as a wedge with further development springing up along the route. Regardless of the assurances of the sleeveen Minister for the Environment, if this road is allowed to go ahead it will set a damaging precedent for future destruction in other sensitive areas.

Your making a massive assumption there that is totally unfounded. Any other developments along the route will be subject to public hearings and plannings, as this was. And any other developments in this specific Tara-Skryne Valley area would have to obide by the National Monuments Act. Which this motorway has done.
    Ms Justice Mary Lafoy ruled that there was no evidence before her that there had been any breach of the National Monuments Act.

The act of protest by its very definition cannot always be carried out within the confines of an often unjust and unbalanced legal system. Legal does not necessarily equate to right, morally correct. However, that is not to say that I agree with all methods used by the Tara protestors.
    Protesting should always be done legally and peacefully. Very few protests will change things overnight. Protesting is more about raising public opinion and media awareness over a problem which will intime cause a change. If you want a massive overnight change your looking more at some sort of revolution idea. When you begin chaining yourselves to tree's, tresspassing and creating dangerous underground tunnels and refusing to move until your demands are met this becomes more of a form of terrorism then anything. This will loose most of your support.

There is a legal system in place and this should be used if you wish to prevent the construction of the motorway. However from looking at recent High Court decisions no laws have been broken in the proposed construction of this motorway and it has been supported throughout by local residents, business and the communities the route will both effect and benefit.
    If a people abandons its language, culture and heritage in a rush to replace it with the all-encompassing sameness of Washington consensus neo-liberal capitalism where the importance of everything is judged according to its economic value, then that people loses its soul.
    So your problem is not with the motorway as-per-say but with society and this is just one outlet for you to protest against it?

no don't be purposely dim, the road didn't move the monument didn't move they had old maps they knew had errors and acs ltd didn't doublecheck em. that's what the letters says.

Letters? I appear to see only one email. Which appears to origionally be an enquiry about top soil stripping and then the corrispondance going on voluntarially to inform the reader of a incorrect map which was thurourgly ratified.

Again, if this change caused any possibly damage to the said monument then this work would break the National Monuments Act which would then have been pointed out in the Gigh Court only yesterday. However..
    Ms Justice Mary Lafoy ruled that there was no evidence before her that there had been any breach of the National Monuments Act.
    at first they said it would be 100m away check the m3motorway.ie site.
    Been searcing through the FAQ's and some of the pdf's and found nothing. Can you link me directly at all?
    the main point is they couldn't be bothered there arse checking where these monuments actually were. incompetence.
    Have you any proof for this comment? If they were as lazy as you claim then why was there even a Record of Monuments and Places map in the first place? Or did they just throw darts at a map?

How do you know this was nothing more then someone who mislabelled or incorrectly wrote down a cordinance in the first place?

they did raise their concerns, the governments own archaeological experts testified and said it should not be built through the taraskryne valley, what are you suggesting people didn't give submissions during the hearing, the submissions were ignored.

Then why not take it up with the High Court, that An Bord Pleanála ignored submissions.
    The validity of the Board’s decision can be questioned by applying to the High Court for judicial review

Or is using the legal system too neo-liberal capitalist for the protesters?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

She is gone - http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0315/tara.html?rss
    The M3 protestor who had been in a tunnel at the Rath Lugh national monument has emerged.

Lisa Feeney left the tunnel this evening after several hours of negotiations with gardaí from Navan, and talking to her father and fellow protestors.

Ms Feeney spent several days inside the 10 metre deep tunnel in an attempt to prevent construction work of the M3 motorway at Rath Lugh in the Tara-Skyrne valley, Co Meath.
    Advertisement

She is unharmed and is said to be in good spirits.

Groups opposing the route of the M3 motorway through the Tara-Skryne valley say their protests will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has she been removed in to the custody of the police for public order offenses as she should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Delays in M3 are costing lives...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/delays-in-m3-are-costing-lives-1318911.html

A backup of what I said in a previous post. Better a couple of euro toll than a death toll ?

One of those people in the stats was a brilliant young doctor that my wife new, she gave up her life on that road.... for what ?

Terry wrote: »

The Bertie bowl would have been built close to the M3.

Terry,

I don't disagree with your thoughts on hypocrits, just not sure how that and the above ties in with Meath and Cavan commuters. Did they protest about the stadium or something ? Why would they.. I work around the corner from the proposed site... its really Blancardstown / Dublin... bugger all to do with the commuters. I think the M3 stops at Clonee as well, not near Abbottstown...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

bauderline wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/delays-in-m3-are-costing-lives-1318911.html

A backup of what I said in a previous post. Better a couple of euro toll than a death toll ?

One of those people in the stats was a brilliant young doctor that my wife new, she gave up her life on that road.... for what ?

If the M3 had been planned the correctly the first time around there would be no delays.

She didn't "give up her life" on "that road" she died in a car crash, I'm sorry but it happens, we all know somebody who died in a car crash. I do sympathise.
    The equating of the motorway construction being delayed and someone dying in a car crash is ludicrous. Did the Road cause the accident? Or was it the people driving on the road? Dan Laverys use of the figures involved is misleading. It's like saying you saved money by not getting the bus home and being angry that you didn't save more money by not getting a taxi instead.

The Hill of Tara and surrounding areas have been centers of population for thousands of years. There is layer upon layer of archaeology in the area that is being be destroyed. Finds made recently would not have been possible 50 years ago as the technology was not available, the same goes for finds that could be made in another 50 years time, DNA from hair, clothing fragments etc.

I'm not a big supporter of hippies and the like, but I do know that there are many people involved on Tara and organisers, well educated, who have put aside their own professions to defend the site.

I always wondered how Bertie and Mary and the likes managed to get into power in this country, following the opinions on this thread I can see now.

Wouldn't the commuters in Cavan etc. be better served by a decent public transport network instead.

She didn't "give up her life" on "that road" she died in a car crash, I'm sorry but it happens, we all know somebody who died in a car crash. I do sympathise.
    The equating of the motorway construction being delayed and someone dying in a car crash is ludicrous.

Its not ludicrous, had the motorwat been built and not delayed there is a 99% chance she would not have an accident.

FACT : In any instance were a stretch of single carriageway has been upgraded to motorway RTA's and fatalities have been significantly reduced.

How many have died on the M1 every year since it opened ? How many people died on the various stretches of the old N1 every year ? That last stretch between Ballymac roundabout and Newry was particularly deadly, thanks be to god its gone !

The Hill of Tara and surrounding areas have been centers of population for thousands of years. There is layer upon layer of archaeology in the area that is being be destroyed. Finds made recently would not have been possible 50 years ago as the technology was not available, the same goes for finds that could be made in another 50 years time, DNA from hair, clothing fragments etc.

That's fine but needs to be balanced with the needs and quality of life of the community that live in the area currently. I think this balance has been struck, tara safe, rath lugh safe, lismullen documented.

Looking at the maps its hard to see any rational route for the motorway other than the one its on. If you are going to the bother of trying to avoid sensitive areas you would have had to take a very large shift either east or west to make it valid, going east you would likely have to land on top of the N2. Go West and you starting running into more sensitive territory around Trim. I think this was a no-win no-win situation for the road planners...
    I'm not a big supporter of hippies and the like, but I do know that there are many people involved on Tara and organisers, well educated, who have put aside their own professions to defend the site.
    I always wondered how Bertie and Mary and the likes managed to get into power in this country, following the opinions on this thread I can see now.

What are the alternatives Enda "Lets make a crap speech" Kenny, Pat "Angry Man" Rabbitt or the SF "We know were you live" brigade .... I don't think so...
    Wouldn't the commuters in Cavan etc. be better served by a decent public transport network instead.

I have said it before, point to point puiblic transport systems won't work for the commuter belts at the moment. A lot of the companys these people work in are dotted around the perimeter of Dublin off the M50 in various business parks. No links between most of these business parks and the central railway stations. LUAS and DART are good, but way too limted.

That is not to say this should not be rectified, it should and I am sure it will be, but its not going to happen fast is it ? In the interim the motorway is still required in order to bring quality of life to people in towns and the commuters who travel through them. I am sure it will also encourage additional industry, retail and tourism into the North West.

One last thing that seems to be comming through from the pro tara guys. They seem to regard pro motorway people as being narrow minded and stupid ? Maybe we are just rational and practical people who believe a fair balance has been struck here and can view the subject without getting emotional...

That's fine but needs to be balanced with the needs and quality of life of the community that live in the area currently. I think this balance has been struck, tara safe, rath lugh safe, lismullen documented.

I really don't think that's going to be the case regarding either the safety and documentation of the sites or the quality of life for the locals.
    Looking at the maps its hard to see any rational route for the motorway other than the one its on. If you are going to the bother of trying to avoid sensitive areas you would have had to take a very large shift either east or west to make it valid, going east you would likely have to land on top of the N2. Go West and you starting running into more sensitive territory around Trim. I think this was a no-win no-win situation for the road planners...

It's really about the interchange and the disruption the work will cause, not the motorway. There are already machines driving around where they legally shouldn't be.

image_183746_1.jpg
    What are the alternatives Enda "Lets make a crap speech" Kenny, Pat "Angry Man" Rabbitt or the SF "We know were you live" brigade .... I don't think so...

Well, Pat Rabbitt, yes maybe, he has alot to be angry about since you mention it. While not a supporter, the SF quip is the usual cheap shot you'd expect, from the "get with the winning team" crowd. ;)
    I have said it before, point to point puiblic transport systems won't work for the commuter belts at the moment. A lot of the companys these people work in are dotted around the perimeter of Dublin off the M50 in various business parks. No links between most of these business parks and the central railway stations. LUAS and DART are good, but way too limted.

The very reason the M50 is a carpark is the fact that those companys were allowed there without the proper infrastructure in the first place. You can expect similar for the M3 eventually I'd say.
    That is not to say this should not be rectified, it should and I am sure it will be, but its not going to happen fast is it ? In the interim the motorway is still required in order to bring quality of life to people in towns and the commuters who travel through them. I am sure it will also encourage additional industry, retail and tourism into the North West.

Agreed, I feel public transport should be a priority though. A motorway is not an interim solution, it's not going to go away...

One last thing that seems to be comming through from the pro tara guys. They seem to regard pro motorway people as being narrow minded and stupid ? Maybe we are just rational and practical people who believe a fair balance has been struck here and can view the subject without getting emotional...

I suppose newspaper articles on road deaths isn't using emotions to make a point. The very reason I posted in the first place. Pot, kettle, black so to speak.

Hope You are enjoying your Sunday morning.

studiorat wrote: »
    the quality of life for the locals.
    The vast majority of the locals in the area support the motorway and nearly all business do also. As it is the existing road is dangerous to travel on and cross. Go down and ask them if you want. I know some and it is clear from the objectiosn and reports that the local residents and businesses support the motorway

It's really about the interchange and the disruption the work will cause, not the motorway. There are already machines driving around where they legally shouldn't be.
    Oh really? If so then why was it not brought up at the High Court on Thursday? IF there had been a breach of any act or illegally tresspassing then work would have to had been stopped or the injunction upheld or even the companies being repromanded.

The very reason the M50 is a carpark is the fact that those companys were allowed there without the proper infrastructure in the first place. You can expect similar for the M3 eventually I'd say.

Thats quite a statement. Did you ever think it might be also due to the massive urban sprawl that has taken place in Dublin in the past 10 years? The M50 had been planned for many years, if you look at the origional plans for it nobody lived in the surrounding areas. Since all the work has been done, Dublin has had massive urbal sprawl bringing people closer to the motorway and beyond. Dont go blaming the fact that Business parks were built close to it and other major routes there are many factors as to why the M50 is at its peak.

Agreed, I feel public transport should be a priority though. A motorway is not an interim solution, it's not going to go away...
    Yes and plans are ongoing for upograding of the public transport network in part of the areas. The motorway is one very much needed part of the transportation network there. As pointed out tho, a train goin from Cavan to Dublin for example is still useless for people who may work in City West or other areas where having to travel into the city then get another bus back out would be useless.

The equating of the motorway construction being delayed and someone dying in a car crash is ludicrous. Did the Road cause the accident? Or was it the people driving on the road? Dan Laverys use of the figures involved is misleading. It's like saying you saved money by not getting the bus home and being angry that you didn't save more money by not getting a taxi instead.
    Have you even been on the road? It is an actual death trap. Many locals having to cross it at all hours in blind bends etc. Once the motorway is finished deaths on that stretch will undoubitly fall and safety for locals and people passing through will be increased.
    The Hill of Tara and surrounding areas have been centers of population for thousands of years.
    They were centers of population thousands of years ago. Go there today and there isint too much population around there :)

There is layer upon layer of archaeology in the area that is being be destroyed.
    Inaccurate and wildly false statement. The NRA are working closely with archaeology consultants who are takin care of any finds made during the roadwork. Infact you can go and get more detailed information and some pictures on the website: http://www.m3motorway.ie/Archaeology/

And as I have stated before. Stick a shovel into the ground anywhere in Meath and you will find something of archaeology importance. But at least the NRA are documenting and recovering everything that is found.

I have no doubt some people have given up their jobs and lives to defend the site. However they should do so in a peaceful and legal manner. Digging tunnels under building and protested sites, strapping yourselves and issueing demands are not the way to go about doing it and quite frankly angers most people. There is a legal system in place, use it.
    Everywhere in Ireland would benefit with a decent public transport system. However it is not a valid option in some areas. This is why studies are done to find out. Public transport systems are good to go from Point A to B providing you are within distance of both. There is no point in building a train station somewhere unless there is the population surrounding it to use it. Otherwise people are going to have to drive there to even use it and that is going to just create consestion along those routes. There are a lot of factors to take into account. A motorway is an important part of the transport network and it is clearly needed. Id urge you to maybe go up and have a drive alon the existing road and see for yourself the intersecting junctions that locals are having to brave every day to get across.

I would love to see a stastic of how many people who are protesting had actually ever been to the area before this motorway protesting began. And also how did they travel there? Did they drive their nice new car up? Or did they get the bus eireann bus which takes the existing old route?

Meath chamber of commerce did a "phony survey" saying 85%, since they have a vested interest in it I'd say it's questionable. Letters to the Meath Cronicle etc. would suggest differently. National survey's say it's about 50/50. It's a national monument, so it's a national issue.

The N3 being a death trap is not an excuse for building a motorway either, why don't they just fix the N3? It will still be unsafe motor way or no.

The NRA's survey was paid for by the NRA. Independent Archeological groups disagree.

As for the High Court on thursday, that was a disaster. I wasn't there personally, but I do reckon the protesters did have a negative effect.

Dick Roche signing off on it on his last days in office was using the law alright, bit sneaky I'd have thought. Especially considering who was taking his place.

Again another cheap shot about "driving fancy cars to the protest", blah blah. The usual...
    The people supporting the Tara groups do not need to travel there, this is a National issue. Not to mention the international support they also receive. The "you don't live here" argument doesn't wash I'm afraid. It's bigger than that.

BTW I'm not a member of any groups involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That makes me look at the issue in a whole different way.

Anyway tunnel has been filled in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

bauderline wrote:
    Tell me how you would address the current utterly crap commute times between Kells or Navan and Dublin ? Or do you think I should spend an extra hours in my car every morning and evening scratching my balls ?

Maybe you shouldn't have bought a house so far away from your job?

/Just sayin

Meath chamber of commerce did a "phony survey" saying 85%, since they have a vested interest in it I'd say it's questionable.
    Questionable does not mean they do not support the building of the motorway in any way.
    Letters to the Meath Cronicle etc. would suggest differently.
    Locals with letters? Generally majority of reports from locals and business are in favour of the motorway. Go down there yourself and knock on the doors and find out.
    National survey's say it's about 50/50.
    Whereabouts was this survey? From people I know the vast majorty supports it.
    It's a national monument, so it's a national issue.
    I dont think people will question the Hill as being a national monument for example. But if you want to go down this route why not stop all work in the county of Meath. Anywhere in the whole county there are national monuments, old artifacts etc. And most of the artifacts and sites discovered by the acrieologists have been DUE to the work on the motorway. They would have gone undiscovered for years otherwise.
    The N3 being a death trap is not an excuse for building a motorway either, why don't they just fix the N3? It will still be unsafe motor way or no.
    You clearly dont know the difference between a motorway and the existing N3. The N3 alows for junctions to turn into it and roads to cross it constantly. A motorway is a quick straight run with large turn off for junctions.

I would advise you to take a trip up the N3 and trun off into the junctions the locals go through on a daily masis and see for yourself. Id also say you go off and have a look at the differences between a motorway and a dual carraigeway.

A motorway is much needed to replace the existing N3 route not a upgrade. If you change the N3 to a M3 then were will provisional drives and mopeds go? Not everyone is allowed on a motorway.
    The NRA's survey was paid for by the NRA. Independent Archeological groups disagree.
    Someone has to pay for a survey. If there is a problem why dont these independed groups take action against it?

As for the High Court on thursday, that was a disaster. I wasn't there personally, but I do reckon the protesters did have a negative effect.
    Why was it a disaster? As it didnt go the way you wanted it to? It showed that no laws have been broken at all in the work that is ongoing.
    Again another cheap shot about "driving fancy cars to the protest", blah blah. The usual...
    Im trying to point out that these people need motorways to get there in the first place. Or were they all green and cycle with their tunneling gear from Kerry?

Now, I am off to enjoy my Sunday.

Meath chamber of commerce did a "phony survey" saying 85%, since they have a vested interest in it I'd say it's questionable. Letters to the Meath Cronicle etc. would suggest differently. National survey's say it's about 50/50. It's a national monument, so it's a national issue.

The nay sayers will always write in to drum up attention to their cause. A legitimate tactic, but don't read too much into it.

The whole national monument / world heritage thing is sort of reverse nimbyism for want of a better term. Its not in my back yard but I still have a problem with it, even though my opinion is at odds with those whoose back yard it is actually in.

The above is just pure horse dung. The road is dangerous due to two combined factors.Its densly populated with many junctions and entrances plus there is a high volume of fast moving traffic. Remove high volume of traffic from the equation and things get better. This is no debating this, its hard fact, I refer you again to the example of the old N1 and the new M1. When was the last time someone died on either.

What impartial third party funded the independant groups then ?

No kidding ? Its hard to take a heard of rampant baboon like creatures seriously. The wearing of the balaclavas by some of the protestors must make a real good impression on all concerned eh ?

What happened to their legal eagle Vincent ? He hasn't been seen since his wallet was under attack...
    Dick Roche signing off on it on his last days in office was using the law alright, bit sneaky I'd have thought. Especially considering who was taking his place.

Looks like no one trusts Gormley then, does it ? The protestors don't, the pro motorway group don't, FF don't ....
    The people supporting the Tara groups do not need to travel there, this is a National issue. Not to mention the international support they also receive. The "you don't live here" argument doesn't wash I'm afraid. It's bigger than that.

Fair enough, but national guidelines have been followed and due process undergone, decision has been made.

BTW I'm not a member of any groups involved.

Isn't that Gerry and Martins line ?

Winters wrote: »
    Questionable does not mean they do not support the building of the motorway in any way.

The survey itself is questionable.
    Locals with letters? Generally majority of reports from locals and business are in favour of the motorway. Go down there yourself and knock on the doors and find out.

I won't, but like I said 50/50.
    And most of the artifacts and sites discovered by the acrieologists have been DUE to the work on the motorway. They would have gone undiscovered for years otherwise.

No problems there...
    You clearly dont know the difference between a motorway and the existing N3. The N3 alows for junctions to turn into it and roads to cross it constantly. A motorway is a quick straight run with large turn off for junctions.

Of course I do silly! You clearly don't know the difference between a well designed road and a badly designed one though. The N3 will still be there, the local boyo's will have a ball racing up and down that one when you get your motorway.
    I would advise you to take a trip up the N3 and trun off into the junctions the locals go through on a daily masis and see for yourself. Id also say you go off and have a look at the differences between a motorway and a dual carraigeway.

I don't need your advice thanks, they are still going to be using those junctions. Less traffic control and faster road users is what's gonna happen there.
    A motorway is much needed to replace the existing N3 route not a upgrade. If you change the N3 to a M3 then were will provisional drives and mopeds go? Not everyone is allowed on a motorway.

You don't have to call it the M3, it could still be the N3. The N11 is a big road.

Off topic if Motorways are so safe why aren't provisional drivers allowed on them anyway.
    Someone has to pay for a survey. If there is a problem why dont these independed groups take action against it?

They have, and are.
    Why was it a disaster? As it didnt go the way you wanted it to? It showed that no laws have been broken at all in the work that is ongoing.

From a legal practice point of view. I believe they people involved didn't have proper representation. Laws being broken or not is really the crux of the issue.
    Im trying to point out that these people need motorways to get there in the first place. Or were they all green and cycle with their tunneling gear from Kerry?

Now, I am off to enjoy my Sunday.

If I wanted I could drive there today, there's no motorway so how am I gonna do that then? And another quip too! Regular Oscar Wilde stuff.

Enjoy your Sunday, and drive safe.:D

Of course I do silly! You clearly don't know the difference between a well designed road and a badly designed one though. The N3 will still be there, the local boyo's will have a ball racing up and down that one when you get your motorway.

Matter for the Gardai and mobile speed camera operators.

btw - do you design roads for a living ? I doubt it.
    I don't need your advice thanks, they are still going to be using those junctions. Less traffic control and faster road users is what's gonna happen there.

Not the experience of the M1/N1.

You don't have to call it the M3, it could still be the N3. The N11 is a big road.

... and your point would be? Lets call it the yellow brick road shall we ?
    Off topic if Motorways are so safe why aren't provisional drivers allowed on them anyway.

.... to keep them safe.

From a legal practice point of view. I believe they people involved didn't have proper representation. Laws being broken or not is really the crux of the issue.

oh where, oh where could Vincent be ?!
    If I wanted I could drive there today, there's no motorway so how am I gonna do that then? And another quip too! Regular Oscar Wilde stuff.

The point IS that you drive it, not cycle it or use public transport. You could there now or you could drive there on Tuesday evening. Guess which will take longer....

Q.E.D.

That's me finished work. I am off to enjoy my Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the aa grade the road as medium to low risk its not particularly dangerous.

and there hasn't actually been much of delay at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The same people campainging for the roads are the ones that will moan about the government if it hits problems. Look at the M50: suppose to sort all the choas out, doesn't, who do we blame...?

This is the porblem: public transport ISN'T being upgraded. If it was, I'd be a lot more comfortable about the motorway.

The fact remains that the Government is ultimately responsible for these projects, they were elected(and are paid handsomely) to deal with the issues on these projects, or delegate to people that are able to do so. The same applies right across the Government depts. If it goes wrong, those at the top get the blame. Unfortunately, this Government has a habit of passing the buck and does not accept responsibility for any failures. That is a separate issue.

Your last point, I agree with 110%. Any other country I have travelled to, has excellent public transport. I live in Cork and it is honestly a disgrace. I see the clampers van around where I live more then the bus, sums up the city councils priorities really, revenue generation, not providing a decent service. Money needs to be directed towards both updating infrastructure in terms of Motorways, as well as rail and bus services.

The Cork Middleton railway was promised at the last election, it has been delayed AGAIN. This would be used by many many commuters into Cork each day, yet it has been promised for years and never delivered.

Its not particularly dangerous for a medium to low traffic road. For a what, 40,000 AADT road its LETHAL and every few months delay - which there has been already - basically condemns someone else. Roads with that AADT need to be basically danger-free - which means 2 or 3 lane motorway, grade separated, properly drained, properly signed - the kind of road where theres effectively no risk of the road causing an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not particularly dangerous for a medium to low traffic road. For a what, 40,000 AADT road its LETHAL and every few months delay - which there has been already - basically condemns someone else. Roads with that AADT need to be basically danger-free - which means 2 or 3 lane motorway, grade separated, properly drained, properly signed - the kind of road where theres effectively no risk of the road causing an accident.

Sure, a few lives will be saved... BUT MILLIONS WILL BE LATE!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Sure, a few lives will be saved... BUT MILLIONS WILL BE LATE!

????

How will millions be late by the removal of up to 80 minutes of backlogs? :confused::confused:

The survey itself is questionable.
    Why is the survey questionable? Is it because the majority of the locals are actually in support of it which the protesters find surprising?

I won't, but like I said 50/50.
    Where is the source for this magical 50/50 national survey? Why is this one not questionable when the other is?

You actually dont. Many of my friends are engineers. Some of them are even working on the project in question. I know very well the difference between well designed roads, motorways and single/dual carraigeways.

The N3 shall still remain, the idea is not to upgrade an existing national road but create a new motorway which will bring traffic quickly along the route as opposed to the current

And "the local boyo's" (as you call them) currently do race up and down the road at times. However this is the case in a lot of Ireland at present and is a matter for the Gardai not the people designing the road.
    Faster road users? Why would there be? The fast road users would be using the M3 Motorway along the route not the existing N3. This would mean less traffic on the existing road for locals who need to make trips along it and cross over it and thus making it safer for everyone travelling along the road.

No. The M3 and N3 will be differnt roads. One being a National Road (N3) which is for all users; learners, mopeds, motorbikes, busses etc. and has a maximum speed limit of 100km/h The other being a Motorway (M3) which is designed for fast moving traffic (maximum speed is 120km/h) and is not for all users (Learners and mopeds for example). If you remove the N3 and replace it with a Motorway then what about these drivers?

The N11 is a big road indeed. But it is a National Road, not a Motorway. It is a two lane dual carraigeway.

It is believed that provisional drivers should not be driving at that speed, whether it is right or wrong. As it stands they are looking at reducing the speed provisional drivers should be driving at any way. Motorways are designed for high speed traffic and moving people large distances from one point to another.

They have, and are.
    Then why has the High Court not upheld any of these? And the motion to the Supreme Court removed?

Proper representation is available to these people should they wish to have it. Law's being broken is actually the main part of the issue. A decision to build a motorway was decided upon in 2003 by An Bord Pleanála. Unless the roadworks is going to damage National Monuments (National Monuments Act) or break other laws I see no problem with it. There are laws in palce to protect the heritage of the Island and this work has so far followed and not broken them. If they had done then the High Court would have upheld the protesters injunctions.

In 2003 during the original 28 day objection period An Bord Pleanála had received no complaints about the proposed motorway. If it was such an issue then why not lodge complains during the official legal period and not wait until after the final decisions had been made? Have a search on their website: (http://www.pleanala.ie) the first official complaint was only lodged this year (Case: PL17 .LA0073) ?
    If I wanted I could drive there today, there's no motorway so how am I gonna do that then?
    You can use the existing N3 road (If coming out from Dublin or in from Donegal etc.) and you can find out just how dangerous it is. You might also go up and have your (first?) look at the heritage site you talk so much about.

There are many stretches of the road which are of high risk, such as the junction at Garlow Cross in which at least 3 people have been killed in the last 3 years.

Also just because the AA have it makred as a "medium to low risk" does not mean that it is. Take the Kentstown to Navan road as an example which has been marked as "medium to low risk" by the AA, however in the last 4 years 7 people have been killed in one single 100 meter stretch of road (5 being schools girls who died in the tragic School Bus accident). Does that sound like a medium to low risk road?

The N3 alone has had numerous accidents even on a weekly basis on one stretch of road near Dunshaughlin.
    Once again, I would actually urge people to go out and drive this route before making absolute incorrect and sweeping statements. For an example on average what should be an hour long journey at most from Navan to Dublin will take at least two to three hours. This was the case for just peak times however with the surge in population in the towns and villages along the route the journey does not take an hour and will usually take twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Terry,

I don't disagree with your thoughts on hypocrits, just not sure how that and the above ties in with Meath and Cavan commuters. Did they protest about the stadium or something ? Why would they.. I work around the corner from the proposed site... its really Blancardstown / Dublin... bugger all to do with the commuters. I think the M3 stops at Clonee as well, not near Abbottstown...
    I was just giving an example of something that everyone is aware of.

Had I gone on a rant about the proposed car park and apartments on the Captains hill being blocked by people, or the way the Courtyard hotel owners are being blocked at every turn, not too many people would have a clue what I was talking about.

The fact is, in every town and village in this country, some bunch of jackasses try to block progress by whining about useless bits of greenery.

I'm just sick and tired of people getting in the way of progress and then whining about the state of the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Terry for Taoiseach!:D

I'd vote for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MYOB wrote: »
    ????

How will millions be late by the removal of up to 80 minutes of backlogs? :confused::confused:

Someone doens't watch his Simpsons.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Terry wrote: »
    Had I gone on a rant about the proposed car park and apartments on the Captains hill being blocked by people, or the way the Courtyard hotel owners are being blocked at every turn, not too many people would have a clue what I was talking about.
    The apartments on the Captains Hill would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also, the ESB site has been bought, and will be used as a carpark. I'm hoping they do multi-storey, but I won't hold my breath with that one.

IMO, the "Courtyard hotel owners are being blocked at every turn" by the <snip>. I'd rather goto the Courtyard with their lovely heated smoking area, than the Ryevales excuse for one.

=-=

Terry, you have to agree, though, since the Leixlip bypass has been built, the amount of trucks going through the village has dropped by a huge degree, and one can now cross the road safely.

Why is the survey questionable? Is it because the majority of the locals are actually in support of it which the protesters find surprising?

Meath Chamber of commerce obviously have an interest in having the road built, since they have taken over the role of Roads Authority.
    (Galway Uni. article)
    Where is the source for this magical 50/50 national survey? Why is this one not questionable when the other is?

I refer to the Red Express survey, Tara/Skyrne Valley National Public Opinion. Job no. 31027. Please have a read.
    You actually dont. Many of my friends are engineers. Some of them are even working on the project in question. I know very well the difference between well designed roads, motorways and single/dual carraigeways.

Firstly, You don’t need to be an engineer to know a safe road from a dangerous one. I have some friends who are civil engineers too. Building railway lines at the moment. So what?

The fact that your friends are working for SIAC, does not automatically make you an expert. More dismissive bullsh1t.

Please could you clarify your knowledge of road design. As a Mod here I'd guess you are probably a computer programmer of some sort rather than a civil engineer, I wait to stand corrected.
    The N3 shall still remain, the idea is not to upgrade an existing national road but create a new motorway which will bring traffic quickly along the route as opposed to the current .

Did anyone even consider the WMF suggestions?

And "the local boyo's" (as you call them) currently do race up and down the road at times. However this is the case in a lot of Ireland at present and is a matter for the Gardai not the people designing the road. .

So I suppose the Gardai put speed ramps up to slow down traffic? It is actually possible to construct systems on roads to slow down traffic, you may or may not have noticed.

Faster road users? Why would there be? The fast road users would be using the M3 Motorway along the route not the existing N3. This would mean less traffic on the existing road for locals who need to make trips along it and cross over it and thus making it safer for everyone travelling along the road.

The N3 will be moving faster with less people on it, one of the reasons the N3 is slow is caused by people driving too close to each other, causing a waves of cars slowing down in which they slow almost to a stop as this passes back along the line. This phenomenon can be observed on busy roads as cars standing still for apparently no reason. Ask your mates about it.

New Scientist Article
    Obviously this has little to do with the motorway route, just thought I'd point in out as a matter of interest though.
    The N11 is a big road indeed. But it is a National Road, not a Motorway. It is a two lane dual carraigeway.

Yes, parts of it used to be single lane, it was changed to a dual carraige way. Took a few lovely gardens and a couple of houses out with it too.

Then why has the High Court not upheld any of these? And the motion to the Supreme Court removed?

It is unfortunate in my opinion, but partly because of a low public awareness of the project, causing poor funding issues for those involved in objections. (I refer to a different Survey also by Red Experss). The objection by An Taisce also ran into trouble, not through it’s content but it’s preparation.

Please note though according to the BBC...
    “The European Commission is considering legal action against the Irish government which granted itself the powers in 2004 to destroy features or areas of archaeological importance classified as national monuments if in the national interest.

These powers were granted after the government lost a battle in the Irish Supreme Court against archaeological campaigners over the destruction of another monument during the construction of part of the M50 motorway in Dublin.”

In 2003 during the original 28 day objection period An Bord Pleanála had received no complaints about the proposed motorway. If it was such an issue then why not lodge complains during the official legal period and not wait until after the final decisions had been made? Have a search on their website: (http://www.pleanala.ie) the first official complaint was only lodged this year (Case: PL17 .LA0073) ?

“Hundreds of academics, archaeologists and conservationist from around the world have written to the Irish government to register their opposition to the M3 route.
    Twenty-seven members of the European Parliament have written to the government also, after a visit to the area by some resulted in a highly critical report of the project.”
    You can use the existing N3 road (If coming out from Dublin or in from Donegal etc.) and you can find out just how dangerous it is. You might also go up and have your (first?) look at the heritage site you talk so much about.

I’ll ask you again not to be so dismissive, I do in fact know the road, oddly enough I used to commute the opposite way to most
    (coming out of Dublin) on a motorcycle and then by car. So I’m aware of the situation facing drivers. It was a right turn across traffic I dreaded.

The NRA have taken the high moral ground here, regarding the accident incidence on the road, and are using it as a reason to go ahead with a route which most are opposed to. (see Dan Lavery Article).
    Once again, I would actually urge people to go out and drive this route before making absolute incorrect and sweeping statements. For an example on average what should be an hour long journey at most from Navan to Dublin will take at least two to three hours. This was the case for just peak times however with the surge in population in the towns and villages along the route the journey does not take an hour and will usually take twice that.

So what’s that then six hours? It’s pretty clear that the motorway will go ahead, on a flawed route. The planning went through 5 years ago, while very few were aware of it. There’s been enough side stepping and moving of goal posts to make sure of that. We’ll we all paid for the survey, even though the majority of didn’t know it was going on. And any objection has been slated as Ludite, and getting in the way of progress.

Breakfast roll man has had his day. Accompanied by the usual tarring with the same brush off all who oppose as lunatic and reactionary. And once again I'm embarrassed by the actions of a grubbing and near sighted Gov.
    I'm with Seamus Heaney on this one, and hopefully my objections will still be here when the "computer archeologists" search through the articles and forums while they try to figure out why we let this monstrosity go ahead.

So I suppose the Gardai put speed ramps up to slow down traffic? It is actually possible to construct systems on roads to slow down traffic, you may or may not have noticed.

Mobile speed cameras, very effective.

The N3 will be moving faster with less people on it, one of the reasons the N3 is slow is caused by people driving too close to each other, causing a waves of cars slowing down in which they slow almost to a stop as this passes back along the line. This phenomenon can be observed on busy roads as cars standing still for apparently no reason. Ask your mates about it.

10/10 on that one. Very frustrating isn't it ?

It is unfortunate in my opinion, but partly because of a low public awareness of the project, causing poor funding issues for those involved in objections. (I refer to a different Survey also by Red Experss). The objection by An Taisce also ran into trouble, not through it’s content but it’s preparation.

Really ? I lived in Navan 2001 - 2003, there where signs all over the place and plenty of media coverage as far as I can recall.

“Hundreds of academics, archaeologists and conservationist from around the world have written to the Irish government to register their opposition to the M3 route."

Hardly surprising is it ? By the nature of their occuptations they would come down on the opposite side of the argument.
    Twenty-seven members of the European Parliament have written to the government also, after a visit to the area by some resulted in a highly critical report of the project.”

Great, more tax dollars wasted.

I’ll ask you again not to be so dismissive, I do in fact know the road, oddly enough I used to commute the opposite way to most
    (coming out of Dublin) on a motorcycle and then by car. So I’m aware of the situation facing drivers. It was a right turn across traffic I dreaded.

The NRA have taken the high moral ground here, regarding the accident incidence on the road, and are using it as a reason to go ahead with a route which most are opposed to. (see Dan Lavery Article).

Why shouldn't they ? Are you suggesting we continue to let people die on the road ?

Breakfast roll man has had his day. Accompanied by the usual tarring with the same brush off all who oppose as lunatic and reactionary. And once again I'm embarrassed by the actions of a grubbing and near sighted Gov.
    I'm with Seamus Heaney on this one, and hopefully my objections will still be here when the "computer archeologists" search through the articles and forums while they try to figure out why we let this monstrosity go ahead.

Your objections may well still be here, doesn't mean that they are valid though does it ?

It all comes down to point of view, some people think it is acceptable to run a new road through the valley, some people do not. I can accept the fact that you do not want a road running through this valley and I can to some extent accept your concerns regarding damage to the heritage of Ireland. What I cannot accept is your blatant attempts to dismiss all and every benifit that this new road will bring. It WILL bring a better quality of life for the small town dotted alongs the existing N3. It WILL allow people to communte to Dublin in greater safety and shorter times. It WILL encourage additional commerce into the North West.

Saying that the new road should not run through the valley because of its sensitive nature is a valid argunment. Saying that the new motorway will not bring the benifits I have much outlined above is just codswollop.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    The apartments on the Captains Hill would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also, the ESB site has been bought, and will be used as a carpark. I'm hoping they do multi-storey, but I won't hold my breath with that one.

IMO, the "Courtyard hotel owners are being blocked at every turn" by the <snip>. I'd rather goto the Courtyard with their lovely heated smoking area, than the Ryevales excuse for one.

=-=

Terry, you have to agree, though, since the Leixlip bypass has been built, the amount of trucks going through the village has dropped by a huge degree, and one can now cross the road safely.
    I agree with everything you said there, except for the bit about the apartments sticking out like a sore thumb.

All that's there now is a pile of rubble and a few trees.
    It would look much better with a few apartments.

I edited your post for legal reasons, but it's a well known fact that you are correct on that one.

Advertisement