Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First with the news:Tara protesters to be removed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Jesjes wrote: »
    Great Rovi, you are suggesting we send these in:

If thats not trolling I dunno what is.
    Of course not, those guys are long since retired.

There is, however, an old tried and trusted method of clearing rabbit warrens, involving a vacuum tanker and copious quantities of pig slurry...

Have some smileys-
    :pac::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am also curious, not a facetious question, did they actually do damage to the site on this subterranean adventure?
    I am not aware of any self-respecting archaeologist that would go by the name of Squeak.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

stevec wrote: »
    You are looking for support for this - I would say it's pretty relevant.

At what point were you going to divulge this to a possible supporter.

Divulge what? That thing that is openly and freely available in my signature? I made no attempts to hide anything or to side with anyone. I pasted what was relevant at the time in my opinion.

I am not fighting for Squeek in the tunnel, or the person who posted on STV.com using those terms. I am fighting (debating, arguing if you will) for what *I* believe and I can not defend others.

Again, I think we're getting bogged down in smaller issue like calling them "Protectors" - wtf like - these people have given up their lives to live on Tara to protect if from those who would pave it to make money - what are they if not protectors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

DubLegs wrote: »
    sorry to butt in on this now but i just wondering if some one can clear something up.

The news is saying the woman is trapped - but has she trapped herself and can free herself at any time or has become trapped through no fault of her own.
    also heard on the news reports saying the woman has supplies and food is this true!

Having just watched her twelve minute "Interview" on a video blog, it appears she is intent on staying there for the next two months. She is not trapped & is free to leave at any time (seen the video). Plenty of water & food according to her. Think there was a mention of a hunger strike after that.

Further research suggests this is an organised network with links to the UK. Surprise, surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you actually mean you dont understand the improtance of the Seat of the High Kings... the place where the Fianna faught... all of those things we learn in school (I think a lot of them are considered myth rather than historical) and the fact that this is where *literally* the ancestors of the Irish lived and thrived for thousands of years has no baring on the importance of this place?
    Should I?

Where your house is is probably where some druid with some unpronouncable name performed some strange rituals every day for his life. Do you lose sleep over it? Are you angry at the people who built your house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

woooo232 wrote: »
    ... Squeak FFS

That statement would actually carry some weight if it wasn't made by a lad calling himself woooo232

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

They should all get jobs and stop sponging off the state.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Should I?

Where your house is is probably where some druid with some unpronouncable name performed some strange rituals every day for his life. Do you lose sleep over it? Are you angry at the people who built your house?
    You are missing the point and I dont see any point in continuing to debate further with you.

And dont say thats because I think I have lost or some shít, as I have made points and conceeded to others in this thread as fairly as any.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People seem to forget that allot of Ireland's past was wiped out through 800 years of British rule, things like this are the only link we have to our history. People also don't realise that Ireland was well up there with allot of other ancient cultures when it came to things like astronomy and road building. :eek::D I guess we just love building roads.

SheroN wrote: »
    They should all get jobs and stop sponging off the state.
    You're just another prime example of the reason this road is going through. Fúck our hertiage, and our history, if it saves me 20 minutes and only costs me four euro there and back sure who cares.

These "spongers" are doing something you'd never do and you should be grateful for it! I'll have you know some of them are college students, some of them do have jobs, some have given up entire lives to do what they think is right. These people seem to be of a much higher quailty than you deem them. Again, for fúckin' shame.

• Advertisement

You are missing the point and I dont see any point in continuing to debate further with you.

And dont say thats because I think I have lost or some shít, as I have made points and conceeded to others in this thread as fairly as any.
    Perhaps because there is no point?!! We acknowledge that this site is where the high kings bla bla bla, can't this just be recorded and everybody move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ScumLord wrote: »
    People seem to forget that allot of Ireland's past was wiped out through 800 years of British rule, things like this are the only link we have to our history. People also don't realise that Ireland was well up there with allot of other ancient cultures when it came to things like astronomy and road building. :eek::D I guess we just love building roads.

Don't forget that we had a vary large hand in not only wiping out the wonderful architecture of big houses but also our own records. Hardly enlightened.

Perhaps because there is no point?!! We acknowledge that this site is where the high kings bla bla bla, can't this just be recorded and everybody move on?

Ideally, no.

THOUGH, if that was the only and last and ultimate final resort: they're not even doing that properly. I think this is my third time making this point... When they found the wooden henge the only reason anyone knew was because the media caught wind of it (thankfully) otherwise it would have just been bulldozed.

There is such a thing as preservation by excavation where they remove the artifacts and store them safely ... but they're not doing it safely.

No one even knows how many new amazing finds have been bulldozed in the name of getting this road through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Having just watched her twelve minute "Interview" on a video blog, it appears she is intent on staying there for the next two months. She is not trapped & is free to leave at any time (seen the video). Plenty of water & food according to her. Think there was a mention of a hunger strike after that.

Further research suggests this is an organised network with links to the UK. Surprise, surprise...

Do you have a link?

I'm curious as to her living conditions to be honest.
    *Sorry i know there is a whole other issue here!

Can anyone provide a link to what exactly is in that hole? I can't find any

Perhaps it is possible that there was nothing of significance there, except for a few pieces of wood? Nothing anywhere near the significance of, say, the book of Kells (or any form of scripture), a weapon, a medallion, etc? Perhaps they just came along, decided that it wasn't worth excavating a few pieces of wood and cluttering up another museum, and just gave the go-ahead on bulldozing it?

Do you have a link?

http://tarapixie.net/
    Go to videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

That statement would actually carry some weight if it wasn't made by a lad calling himself woooo232

Haha yeah! But it is no more ridiculous than calling yourself Hammerhead Gym. Although i do accept that my nick sucks... I am just too cheap to subscribe to boards and change it!

Although I have no plans to start barricading myself in tunnels anytime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

You're just another prime example of the reason this road is going through. Fúck our hertiage, and our history, if it saves me 20 minutes and only costs me four euro there and back sure who cares.

These "spongers" are doing something you'd never do and you should be grateful for it! I'll have you know some of them are college students, some of them do have jobs, some have given up entire lives to do what they think is right. These people seem to be of a much higher quailty than you deem them. Again, for fúckin' shame.

You're right those spongers are doing something I could never do - living in cloud cukoo land.

The girl is called squeak, i doubt she's of very high quality. If she wasn't protesting against this, she'd be drawing the dole between the reading festival and the next righteous cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Do you have a link?

I have, but check with a mod first to see if it is allowed & I'm a bit loathe to promote their "cause". Pretty cramped area, only room for one etc.

Well isnt it nice to see this thread twirl in an ever downward spiral. I think I'll refrain from commenting on any of the above posts - their qualities speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Can anyone provide a link to what exactly is in that hole? I can't find any

Perhaps it is possible that there was nothing of significance there, except for a few pieces of wood? Nothing anywhere near the significance of, say, the book of Kells (or any form of scripture), a weapon, a medallion, etc? Perhaps they just came along, decided that it wasn't worth excavating a few pieces of wood and cluttering up another museum, and just gave the go-ahead on bulldozing it?

check my link for screen grabs and link to video, http://dublinstreams.blogspot.com

looks like a proper if short tunnel although i doubt she has 3 months supply as the news is repeating

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

I'm with the hippies too.

What good is another road into an over congested city? Put in a railway line ffs.

Have any of you been to Tara lately? Apart from its historical significance it's a really nice chilled out place.

Roads are going to be obsolete in a few years anyway when we're all flying around in space ships.

Fair play to the hippies for standing up to something they believe in. We sit back while out taoiseach makes up crap excuses about his financial affairs in the 80's and 90's.

Well isnt it nice to see this thread twirl in an ever downward spiral. I think I'll refrain from commenting on any of the above posts - their qualities speak for themselves.
    Their qualities? :rolleyes: Perhaps someone else can try to explain some questions asked above, such as "why should we give a crap" with something more substantial than "just because...". I'm not attacking anyone here, I really am genuinely puzzled as to why people think a hole in the ground is worth all this uproar

check my link for screen grabs and link to video, http://dublinstreams.blogspot.com

looks like a proper if short tunnel although i doubt she has 3 months supply as the news is repeating
    LOL, no I wasn't talking about the tunnel, I was referring to whatever it is that the M3 is being built over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Same could be said about the stuff dissiminated by the "journalists" covering this case. This reads like something written by a Cold War era soviet propogandist. Repeatedly calling everyone "stupid" and calling the actions of the evictors illegal? Attempted murder? Highly hypocritical and immature stuff:
    indymedia wrote:
    This morning at 08.45 I received a call to inform me that a force of at least 15 Gardai was approaching the Front-Line fortification on the esker of the Rath Lugh National Monument. They were supported today by approximately 25-30 Ferrovial/Siac construction workers, office staff/tunnel-tourists and security in High Visibility clothing.

They stated that it was their intent to evict the camp, beginning with the esker fortification, but had no documentation to this effect. An eviction notice has NOT been issued by a bailiff. This is highly illegal. One protestor was informed that the intent was to get it done before the High Court hearing, beginning this morning at 10.30, reaches its verdict or puts an injunction on the works.

With a serious and reckless attitude they approached the perimeter fencing and attempted to cut the air supply to the occupied tunnel system dug by Protectors to guarantee the stability of the esker. Heavy duty machinery was also employed in highly dangerous proximity to the delicate subterranean enclosures. I repeat, this tunnel system is occupied by Irish nationals, one of which is D-Locked to a jack which supports the structure above her. Uninformed and gung-ho attempts to evict this area lacks all sense of professional duty and/or intelligence, and can only amount to allegations of mal practice towards our police service. Two thirds of the officers present were not in full uniform and not displaying any form of identification.

Every Garda station in the vicinity was telephoned immediately to firmly insist that they urge their colleagues to get in touch with professionals abroad who have dealt with this kind of situation before, it is unknown of here in Ireland. None would heed warnings, insisting the Sergeant on site had full control. The outer perimeters of the structure and the hut above the main entrance to the primary D-Lock tunnel were carelessly demolished seriously destabilising and exposing the esker, and the Citizen below. It took at least 45 minutes of adamant persuasion, calls to Garda offices and eventually word from the Minister of Justice to prevent them from stopping the supply of oxygen to the enclosures beneath. Local Gardai were of little or no assistance.

After the Gardai present were made aware of contact from the minister they moved their physical presence from the primary tunnel entrance, but continued to move in closer, from the base of the mound, with Heavy-Duty earth moving machinery, further destabilising the esker and the occupied tunnel systems within. Eventually the Fire Department arrived, and though it was against their Union Rules to be involved, they demanded that the Police and the Construction Workers cease this activity. Neither Gardai nor Ferrovial/Siac Construction had a plan of action for what to do in the event of a cave-in, which seems to be what they were deliberately attempting to achieve. I personally - at risk of editorialising, fail to see what other objective could have called for such aggressive, idiotic tactics.

This is serious mal-practice if not attempted murder. Protesters, swarmed by media, continue to hold the security, construction workers and members of An Garda Shiochána at bay, as I type. The CPO line in question is still in application making the location of the esker on Coilte land not Ferrovial's private property. The National Monument of Rath Lugh including the Esker is under preservation order from Minister John Gormley.

This activity by Ferrovial/Siac Construction partnership and An Garda Shiochána IS . . . I repeat IS highly illegal and recklessly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Those indymedia writers are idiots. "Attempted murder". I love how they basically spent 45 minutes insulting the Gardai by ringing them and telling them they'd no idea how to deal with the situation.

I think they're just taking every chance they get at media attention to get their message out. Though cornbb, I don't completely disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

seamus wrote: »
    Those indymedia writers are idiots. "Attempted murder". I love how they basically spent 45 minutes insulting the Gardai by ringing them and telling them they'd no idea how to deal with the situation.

Surely you mean, "those indymedia writers are idiots, I REPEAT, are idiots"

:pac:<breaker breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think they're just taking every chance they get at media attention to get their message out. Though cornbb, I don't completely disagree with you.

Thanks, I don't entirely disagree with you either. Agree with the need to preserve heritage, disagree with the way some people are going about doing it. I think that if writers like that can't refrain from writing complete bullsh*t then they'd do themselves more of a favour by writing nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

is_that_so wrote: »
    Don't forget that we had a vary large hand in not only wiping out the wonderful architecture of big houses but also our own records. Hardly enlightened.
    True, if you look back throughout Irish history the money hungry Paddy has been the demise of this country. Sure didn't some sell out they're country for land and titles right back at the very beginning of the Anglo-Irish troubles.

Advertisement